Has The Big Show Surpassed Andre?

Andre and it's not even close. Andre the Giant was great and can move in the 70s and 80s and was one of the biggest attractions the industry has ever seen. Big Show is good but has been shit most of his career in the WWE. He was quick and agile his first few years in the WWE then it seemed he just stop caring after that. When he came back in 2008, he was around 440 and he now he's around 490. Show has never come close to being a draw and will never be remembered the way Andre will be. Show's career amounts to being one of the worst world champions in history.

No, simply Andre is by and by the bigger star. And I like Big Show, and think he is definitely the superior athlete and Mic worker, but facing facts, Andre was around in a time where big men were a rare treat, a spectacle for fans to behold. And him being particularly massive, he was destined for greatness. Hell if you put someone like Khali or Show himself back then, they'd have probably been massive stars as well. It's a right place right time thing. Big men are just not as marketable as they were.
Well done. Good post. This what I was refereeing to just I disagree a little.

A)"Big men are just not as marketable as they were". Exactly yet Show does, due to his Charisma, Mic work, and over all being entertaining out the ring to. If Andre debuted in this "Big men are just not as marketable as they were." Time I doubt he would stand out.

B) "Andre was around in a time where big men were a rare treat, a spectacle for fans to behold. And him being particularly massive, he was destined for greatness. Hell if you put someone like Khali or Show himself back then, they'd have probably been massive stars as well."
Exactly I just feel of if Show was there in that time frame he would have stood out more then any of them, EVEN Andre because while I LOVE Andre I just feel Show has everything Andre does and then some. And Andre just gets more love deservedly so from his legendary status.

Big Show will never surpass Andre. Show was simply never as dominating as Andre. Andre rarely lost and when he did he still looked strong. Show often loses and looks weak when he does. Who was a better technical wrestler doesn’t really matter. If it did we can talk about how Dean Malenko has surpassed Hulk Hogan. Andre was special because he was a rare treat. He wasn’t on tv every week like Show is. Andre turning heel was the biggest story in wrestling. Show has turned so many times I have to take a minute to think if he’s heel or face at any given time. Andre vs. Hogan was the most anticipated match in wrestling history. Show vs. Cena was just another match. Andre vs. Studd was a clash of the titans. Show vs. Kane is a bowling shoe ugly joke. Andre was always a top guy despite never holding the title. Show was never the top guy despite multiple title reigns. When Andre was on tv you sat up and took notice. He got your attention and you knew this was the highlight of the show. When show is on tv it’s just another segment. Big Show simply doesn't match up to Andre.

People from my grandparents to my parents to my little (non wrestling watching) cousin knew who Hulk Hogan was. Nobody at all whatsoever...and still don't...know who Steve Austin is. Unless they're mistaking him for the Six Million Dollar Man (which is actually why Steve Austin was given that name when he was Ted Dibiase's lacky known as The Ringmaster but everybody knew that already probably.)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but Austin was Steve Austin long before he was associated with Ted Dibiase.

Originally Posted by Optimist Prime

Nobody at all whatsoever...and still don't...know who Steve Austin is. Unless they're mistaking him for the Six Million Dollar Man (which is actually why Steve Austin was given that name when he was Ted Dibiase's lacky known as The Ringmaster but everybody knew that already probably.)

Steve Austin was using that name since before you can find him on television. I understand that most people don't keep up with professional wrestling but he was using that name in the independents long before he became a sports entertainer.

Originally Posted by Optimist Prime

Nobody at all whatsoever...and still don't...know who Steve Austin is. Unless they're mistaking him for the Six Million Dollar Man (which is actually why Steve Austin was given that name when he was Ted Dibiase's lacky known as The Ringmaster but everybody knew that already probably.)

Steve Austin was using that name since before you can find him on television. I understand that most people don't keep up with professional wrestling but he was using that name in the independents long before he became a sports entertainer.

You say "keep up with wrestling" as if it were something recent that I should be "keeping up" with.

I'm aware that he had been using the name before hand. I also know he was "Stunning" Steve Austin in WCW with "Ravishing" Rick Rude as well. Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote and after re-reading it - I don't blame you...it sounds like I meant he was first given that name then and there. My apologies. I meant for it to sound like they put him with the Million Dollar Man due to his name basically. Because it had fit so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back