• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gulfport, IL.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
While I'm unclear (since it isn't youtube) if I could post a video link of the disaster.. Iowa is completely and utterly a disaster state now. Its officially been announced.

Earlier this morning, one of the levees holding a town called Gulfport, IL (across the river from Burlington, IA) broke unexpectedly. While most of the town had been advised to pack up, and leave, its my understanding that some people were still in their homes.

Gulfport, IL. back in 1993 was completely under water, and today's event rivals that of 93. From the reports I've been getting off the local news, as well as friends that live in the area. Gulfport is once again, completely under the Mississippi river now. This isn't just heartbreaking, this is downright deadly.

I have no idea what to say or do in this matter. I had loved ones that lived in that town, and its a town no bigger than the one I live in. (seperating us only by the fact that we don't live below river level, directly next to the river.)

I know that most of you come from various countries and different states, and hardly any of you know the real damage this is causing, other than what you see on television, but after this mornings events.. I assure you, its going to effect everyone. Iowa was one of the leading states regarding crops for food. Millions, if not Billions of dollars of crops are no more.. and it will take a hit in the food stores very soon I'd imagine.

By the way, in relation to Iowa being a disaster State..

Cedar Rapids, IA: Is half way under the Cedar River. It was estimated to have cost already millions of dollars of damage.

Des Moines, IA: Is half way flooded from this disaster, I believe by the same river.

Burlington, IA: Their entire downtown area is under the Mississippi River!

This is a sad event no doubt, but I heard a rumour that makes it sadder. Apparently FEMA isnt going to send much help because they need people on reserve with it being hurricane season. Call me crazy, but shouldn't we be sending everyone here then worry about a hurricane if it happens?

Does this mean more increases in crop prices? great!

Obviously though, the fact that so many people are out of house and home and some probably dead does sadden me though

This is a sad event no doubt, but I heard a rumour that makes it sadder. Apparently FEMA isnt going to send much help because they need people on reserve with it being hurricane season. Call me crazy, but shouldn't we be sending everyone here then worry about a hurricane if it happens?

Mt. Pleasant, IA. (25-30 minutes from Burlington) called in over 400 reserves to help. They're all staying in the High School, since Summer has come.

And it would be completely stupid for FEMA to not send help, as no Hurricanes are on the up-coming horizion. If a Hurricane is predicted, its one thing.. but since none are, the least they could do is send help until one comes.

Does this mean more increases in crop prices? great!

Obviously though, the fact that so many people are out of house and home and some probably dead does sadden me though

Its already been reported on the Iowa/IL. local news stations that corn prices have risen greatly already, and will continue to do so for everything crop grown.

And yeah, 70% (or more) of the people who lived in Gulfport were unfortunately poor to begin which means doubtfully most didn't have flood insurance. (dispite obviously in a situation where their town was always likely to go, should have had it)

Dragon: :lmao: In the best joking way possible.. I shall go down with the television, before I leave it behind. And besides, that was regarding Tornados.. not floods. :(

Klunder: I'm unsure if I've mislead anyone. "I" don't live in Gulfport. I live in a town similar, except nowhere near any danger of flooding. (short of Iowa completely going under all together.. as Winfield isn't near any major rivers so a lot of Iowa would have to flood to get to us) However I have friends and former loved ones that live(d, now apparently) in Gulfport.

I've since been updated that its apparently getting so worse that they're shutting down the major bridge connecting Iowa & Illinois, due to the fear of rising flood waters taking out the interstate.

The reason that is a major issue, is because A.) Just the image and understanding that the bridge, thats very high above the water, could literally be in danger of being flooded is outrageous.. B.) For this to happen, Gulfport would literally have to become the next "Lost City of Atlantis" as it is a good distance below even the interstate. And finally C.) This means the entire downtown area of Burlington, including their Police Department is under water right now.

Even "I" didn't think it was that bad, and I still don't know if it is.. but for them to shut down the bridge due to the fear of the waters flooding it out.. that HAS to mean downtown Burlington is now gone too.

Dragon: :lmao: In the best joking way possible.. I shall go down with the television, before I leave it behind. And besides, that was regarding Tornados.. not floods. :(

Oh yeah I know that it was about tornados, but you said you were more afraid of those than the flooding, which is why I mentioned it. But hey, forget about the TV in all cases, flood or tornado.

Flames Out
Dragon

Klunder: I'm unsure if I've mislead anyone. "I" don't live in Gulfport. I live in a town similar, except nowhere near any danger of flooding. (short of Iowa completely going under all together.. as Winfield isn't near any major rivers so a lot of Iowa would have to flood to get to us) However I have friends and former loved ones that live(d, now apparently) in Gulfport.

That is a relief indeed. And you have to keep the tv. How else will you get to see MDM?

I know what you mean Will, I live in a town right on the Mississippi (bout 2 hours south of St. Louis), and while it hasn't gotten as bad yet, it's starting to creep up higher and higher. I remember back in 93, how water was everywhere, and all the coverage on it, and the damage it caused.

The worst part is I hear it's only going to get worse.

What i said to Will, same goes to you as well Sly.
Thanks, but there's nothing to worry about here. Our city has a gigantic wall which keeps the flood waters out.

Well, I say "our city"...the city I'm talking about is Cape Girardeau. I actually live 10 miles south in another town, but everything we do and need basically comes from Cape. Cape is the one with the big wall.

However, between Cape and Scott City (my town) there is a diversion channel, which is used to try and help keep river levels down. However, the diversion channel is so backed up and flooded, that it has already spilled over on the farmland there (which is really no big deal since it floods all the time), but it's now getting closer to Cape, which could be a big problem since it would cover an Interstate to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back