• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goldust or Seven or Black Reign

Richard Duggan

Dark Match Jobber
I was goofing off on youtube, looking at some of Dustin Rhodes' characters over the years. And I will say he can cut a damn promo, and put ona decent match. Now my question to all of yall is:

Which one of Dustin's characters did you like the best?

Me personally its a tie between Goldust and Black Reign. Especially Black Reign, it showed a darker side of Rhodes and I believe if he could have had that dark deep persona on WWE and I honestly think if they could put the Goldust gimmick to the side and let him and Cody team together as "The Rhodes" or something like that and be heel, oh so many things could happen.

Anyways what do you think? Which character? And if none of them how would you change the current Dustin Rhodes gimmick?

GOLDUST by faar...

He had some great matches as Goldust, and he was Goldust for most of his career...Plus I can't forget about how funny this character is... It's really a weird character and that is what I like about him...what's the word I used to ehar Jim Ross say, "BIZARRE!!

Oh and what the OP said about him cutting damn good promo's, well he learnt from the best..(his dad)

Never saw too many of his other characters so I'm gonna have to say Goldust. I'll never forget the promos with Booker T and all the other strange/hilarious stuff. I loved his entrance and everything about the character.

The Goldust character was so deep and unique at the time that in my opinion blows his other personas out the water.I remember being freaked out when he first came the WWF.

Goldust for sure!!!! The Old Goldust from the 90's was kick ass!! IC Champ

Seven was a cool idea. Im one for weird gimmicks like that though, not just a regular joe. I like Characters, but it lasted what, a few weeks of promo's and then his debut ended that night in WCW? It coulda been cool but never went anywhere. Unless im missing something. Ive seen the debut on youtube but never seen the promo's leading up to it. If anyone can find them let me know.

Black Reign - Pretty much like Goldust, had split personalities, but wasnt anything special, he was fat and out of shape as Black Reign. The team of him and Rellik was neat but never did anything either. He was SUPPOSED to be called Platinum in TNA but they decided to go with Black Reign instead

black rain...now i will say that goldust gimmick was good, psychological at times but more comedic. Black rain for mea was great because he was the exact opposite of goldust, dark, morbid..evil some might say lol. Dude was a complete psycho

Goldust by a country mile. Seven doesn't count because the gimmick lasted about 45 seconds (outside of those promo's where he perversely watched children from outside their window) and I personally never liked Black Reign, I just didn't buy the character at all, he acted like a psycho, but he did a terrible job of it (oh no, not the spike, NOT THE SPIKE!), it was just dustin rhodes with makeup, he didn't really do much with the character outside of that (and anything he did was boring as hell).

Goldust however was a character that Dustin played to perfection. He was creepy, very good at playing mind games, frankly this dude gave me the willies anytime I saw him in the ring (which was his job). Goldust was perfect at playing his role and Dustin did a fantastic job with the character and making me a believer, there were times were I legitimately questioned Dustin Rhodes sexuality, I don't recall ever questioning if he was a psycho when he played black reign. Not only was the character played very well, it was also a character that could really get under your skin, and Marlena was hot too.

Goldust for the lopsided victory.

Personally I've got to go with Goldust, he pulled that gimmick off when it was pushing boundaries and ruffling feathers within the public image.

1995-1997 more so, after his face turn in early 1997 Goldust got lost in the mix with bouts with HHH, the first being for the IC title, the second being a grudge match, IMO WWE dropped the ball with that feud more so WRESTLEMANIA 13.

Goldust has probably had a better career then most think, he was pushed hard in the 90s, he tweaked his gimmick in late 97 into 1998 then he was away for a while, until Val Venis seduced Marlina/Terri then Goldust played Dustin/the christian, which ended quickly thankfully for him. 1990s were a good time for him but his character has been dated since 2002, he/WWE could do with tweaking his persona again.

With out a doubt Goldust he has put so much into that character over the years. He did a great job creeping everyone out in the early days. Then he was able to get over as a comedy face. He's been doing the character on and off for 15 years now. I don't think most people thought it would last long at all.

I agree with the previous poster I don't think he put much into the Black Reign gimmick. I never cared for that gimmick at all and Seven just came of as a pedophile. I was glad when they stopped that gimmick before it really even started.

Was the seven gimmick meant for the taker. I remember when all the videos for the gimmick would pop up on WCW but I never knew an actual gimmick debut. I remember all this was happening at the same time when taker was about to sign a new contract and he was gone from WWF for a while. Then he came back and said Linda paid him a lot of money to kick Vince's ass. That gimmick is real close to a taker knock off and the videos were to.

i would have to say goldust, that character was so weird and he played it so well, the feuds he had with piper, and razor were classics.

he was able to play that character dark, and now he is playing it with some comedy. as black reign he tried to be as dark as the old goldust but it just didn't work out

I have to go with Goldust as well. Goldust was a charcter that has never been seen before and was fresh and new. The goldust character took werid to new heights while the Black Regin and Seven charcter never really did anything to be honest.

Golddust. This isn't a fair fight. When he first debuted as Golddust it was incredible. No one saw this character coming, or what he did with it. I was a huge fan of this character back then because of how damn good Dustin is. Some of the best promos in the business, ever. I was greatly disappointed when they did all the dumb ass comedy with his character. It just ruined it. He might of well dressed up as Richard Simmons.
I'd love for Goldust to return to his roots. He was MUCH better that way.

Dustin's better character was Black Reign. There was so much they could have done with that character as he had a lot of depth in it. Problem was he got the role 10 years past his prime.

Golddust cut some of the best promos ever, but it was essentially a sideshow and way too gay for the main event.

Goldust, the comedic one.

Goldust is a sick freak in every sense of the word. I think He's a great character and you can tell Dustin enjoys being Goldust. He puts way more energy into being Goldy than any other character he's been, even himself. I wouldn't be suprised he's not somewhat like goldy on his off time, anyone he does a segment with has a hard time keeping a straight face before he even opens his mouth.

Not Black Reign. Not at all. That was just so awful, I can't explain it. One of TNA's worst characters, which is certainly saying something.

It has to be Goldust by far. How often can you paint a guy a bright, shiny color and infer that he's a homosexual and make it work? Not often, at least from my personal experiences. I think Goldust could be successful even now. He's still on the roster, right? They should do something with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back