• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bring back the "original" Goldust persona

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
Everybody know's that the Goldust charactor played well by Dustin Runnels took full flight a couple of years before the atittude era, so I'm not going to take it there. If anything the atittude era helped diminish some of Goldie's dust. With for a short time killing off the "charactor" Goldust when Dustin Runnels set the Goldust outfit on fire in a RAW is WAR trash can on live TV about 12 years ago now.

From the years 1995 to the beginning of 1998, Goldust had already become two-time IC champion, had two valets (which one was his then RL wife Terri aka Marlana), and fueded with main event wrestlers (Scott Hall, Warrior, Undertaker, HBK). Now that Dustin Runnels is going in & out through the frontdoor of the WWE. Goldust is still around alive and kicking in the now "PG" rated WWE in 2010.

But the Goldust charactor we see now is more comedy not mind games? And the wrestler known as Dustin Runnels is no more than novelty act backstage on RAW in skits with the guest host of RAW each week (I'm Goldust WITCH!).

So my question is, would it hurt if the old Goldust persona made a return before Dustin hangs up the Goldust outfit for good? Maybe a fued with brother Cody to help prep up the "uncommon" Cody Rhodes for his main event push?

I would love to see the return of the bizzare one, but I doubt they'll bring him back. What killed the original persona, in my opinion, is when Golddust was almost electrocuted on RAW back in the early '00s. I know he went through the whole copy other people's gimmicks between '98 and the early '00s, but him teaming with Booker T, who never should've made it in the WWE (but that's for a different thread), and the near electrocution bit is what killed the psychological Goldust. In his place, now we have the studdering, comdeic relief Golddust.

Short answer...no...The original Goldust was there to push the "shock" value and exploit the supposed homophobia of wrestling fans. To be Goldust as he was when he first arrived wouldn't be allowed in PG WWE. Besides, it wasn't until he went face, admitted he was straight, and did that sit down interview with Jim Ross that the fans actually took to him

Short answer...no...The original Goldust was there to push the "shock" value and exploit the supposed homophobia of wrestling fans. To be Goldust as he was when he first arrived wouldn't be allowed in PG WWE. Besides, it wasn't until he went face, admitted he was straight, and did that sit down interview with Jim Ross that the fans actually took to him

How does being PG have anything to do with allegedly being gay? Hell, about five years ago, which was well into the PG Era, they had a "gay" tag-team in Chuck and Billy, and they even went as far as almost being married.

I see some truth in your post where fan's didn't exactly "take" to him until he became a face, but a there are other heels the audience didn't care for until they went face either. The biggest name that comes to mind there is Cena, even though he can't wrestle.

How does being PG have anything to do with allegedly being gay? Hell, about five years ago, which was well into the PG Era, they had a "gay" tag-team in Chuck and Billy, and they even went as far as almost being married.

How was that the PG era? They had a gay wedding one week, "hot lesbian action" and simulated necrophilia! I'd say they were still well in the midst of the shock era. And, as I stated, the goldust character was there to play up to wrestling fans homophobic ways, which thankfully got shot out of the water because fans aren't anywhere near as bad as the people in charge of wrestling think we are. A creepy guy coming onto other wrestlers and doing things like kissing them (ok, it was mouth to mouth, but it was implied that he meant it as more then that) wouldn't fly today, even less then it did then.

I see some truth in your post where fan's didn't exactly "take" to him until he became a face, but a there are other heels the audience didn't care for until they went face either. The biggest name that comes to mind there is Cena, even though he can't wrestle.

Are you kidding me? The fans were well into Cena as a heel, so much so that they rushed into turning him face. And leave the "Cena can't wrestler" comments for the Cena threads, this is about the goldust character and why it would/would not work today.

Ah Goldust. For some reason for the majority of my wrestling watching days, I've always sided with heels. Hell, my three favorite wrestlers of all time, 3. Big Boss Man, 2. Ted DiBiase Sr., and 1. Mr. Perfect. Big Boss Man was a pretty good heel in the late nineties with Akeem and the Twin Towers, and Ted and Perfect are arguably two of the greatest heels of all time. So when Goldust came around in 1996, the wrestling world was ready for a different type of character, someone who broke the boundries of the usual, underwear, boots, and knee pads, enter Goldust.

Now when he entered the WWF, his wrestling skills were already polished with his days of tag teaming with his father Dusty Rhodes in WCW, not to mention he's one of the better U.S. Heavyweight champs of all time. The character, albeit shocking, was a bit of a risk because you didn't know if the wrestling crowd was ready for something like this, and I don't think they were but I believe that's why it worked so well, right from the start. Everybody wanted to hate the Gilded Bizarre One and I liked him because even though he was so over the top odd, the man could wrestle and he sold the gimmick better than anyone else could have. Then came the attitude era, and everyone when they talk about the era, they think of Austin, the Rock, Undertaker, Kane, DX, but there was a handful of guys that helped lead the way the kind of get forgotten, and he's one of them, and was more important than many people remember. People forget he had some magnificent rivalries with Razor Ramon, Jeff Jarrett, Roddy Piper (even though the WM match the ended it was awful), and all of these mid card guys, but many people forget also when Austin first became Austin 3:16, one of his first rivalries was with Goldust, and it was brutal, and lasted for quite some time. Then came Ken Shamrock, The Rock, and HHH. Other than Shamrock, the other three were just getting started and he helped propel there careers with greatly worked matches, promos and angles.

Now, as for him coming back, I would love to see Goldust make one more run in the mix for the IC, U.S., Tag Team, or even a contestant in an Elimination Chamber but it won't happen because with a PG rating Goldust can't be the real Goldust, he just can't. And even though he's "jobbing" now, the true fans know who he is and respect what he's giving this business and I'm sure as much as he loves this business he's backstage with the old man, figuring some new stories and such to push the young guys, hopefully something is in the works for Cody Rhodes.

I was just thinking about what Goldust could possibly be in the WWE when I was watching him the other night teaming with Mark Henry on Superstars. Even though I feel that WWE can't go to the extreme with Goldust, I believe that with the right feud he could easily get back in the upper mid card ranks with the right story.

ummm the PG era didnt start back up again until 08 but when Goldust did debut WWE was PG at the time however they were in the midst of the change into the attitude era which would start two years later

Goldust was entertaining when he had the original Goldust persona. But I mean what would be the point in bringing it back? Goldust was in shape back then now he just chubby fat guy with man boobs. He notg gonna get any title nor does he even deserve one at all. All he is good for now is comedy relief and putting guys over.

ive always liked goldust to tell you the truth. he has always been one of my favourite wrestlers mostly because i his bizarreness. i dont see why they cant make him into an almost stalker kind of character. i would like to see an angle where goldust start slaking mysterio and stealing the belt and such and when confronted he just says "it's gold....its beautiful....I WANT IT!" then possibly have a match and such for it.....i know that went a little of topic and i apologize

Sorry but that was pushing the limits. Having him crest guys, touch them erocticly, sorry don't do it. WWE is on PG level now. During that time USA was doing there thing, but Dustin did not show up to the WWE until WCW Nitro was on the air (His 2nd run in WWE, which he played as Goldust.) It was provocative, but WWE wanted to make a homo/bi-sexual wrestler at the time but did not have none. You have to think of it. They had everything from a guy who picked up trash, a goalie and a turkey. I do not want to see it, because it will ruin the PG elements and that was harsh for kids to grasp the concept that the guy that plays GOLDUST is/was a married man.

In today's day and age where people are now starting to accept homosexuals, bringing back the original Goldust character would be downright offensive to a lot of people. The problem wasn't that he was gay. He was just erotic. Even Billy and Chuck were toned down compared to that. Having the original Goldust character would not work on a PG level. Heck, I don't see any gay character working on a PG level, even ones that aren't raunchy, simply because a lot of parents probably don't want their kids seeing that. I personally wouldn't have a problem with my kids seeing a gay character, but I think most people would disagree with me.

And for the record, I absolutely loved Goldust when he was with Booker T. That's probably the funniest stuff I've ever seen in wrestling. Once they were in a 7-11 doing some product placement for these WWE slurpee cups, and Goldust said, "Booker, I have a proposition for you. If you would just allow me to have a drink of your slurpee, I'll give you a bite of my weiner."

The Goldust character was great back in the day and very entertaining, yet, creepy and weird at the same time. Dust definately needs to go back to the way he was in the early Goldust days. Fuck this PG bullshit. Attitude Era was the best years of the WWE, IMO. Runnels is a great wrestler, and has a good moveset. I would like to see him get more airtime on Raw. My other thought would be for Goldust to go back to just being Dustin Runnels and tag it up with his brother Cody. Both are great wrestlers and would make a great tag team that could thrive in the WWE and make a push for the titles

Should it come back? Yes.

Reasons why- there's another "comedy" characters as there is. Santino, Yoshi Tatsu to an extent, Great Khali...

Seen as Goldust can still get 'er done in the ring, he wouldn't be missed as a comedy character and then we could have at least a solid midcard contender rise from it.

Will it come back? No

Like many posters have touched upon, the homosexual antics probably wouldn't make PG material. Which lets be fair, is absurd. Because while the antics are a bit exaggerated, soon enough society will have to accept that there are gay people about in the world haha. I suppose maybe it will always stay the same in PG though... as parents may not want their kids being 'influenced'. There would certainly be way too many complaints.

How to bring it back?

Now many believe Goldust is beyond repair. But I think out of most characters in WWE, he's the easiest to revert back to a former persona.

His old gimmick was inspired by movie stars etc with a deluded twist. All it needs is one match teaming with all the fan favourite comedy characters before he lays them all out and looks disgusted.

Then the transformation would take place in the following promo, if it went along these lines:
"I played this role because you people always wanted me to play it. Many felt I was a great comedy actor but then my harshest critics would always say that I had better performances in the genre I excelled in..."

Yes, slightly shoot, as it is talking about people's opinions on the character... but also is referring to like an actor being given a particular role to play etc. It wouldn't take much to bring him back.

I thought the original Goldust was a cracker of a character. Dustin Runnels played the part of a bizarre, perverted, supposedly gay, movie buff to perfection. I think it was one of those characters that was so ridiculous that it actually worked, it was over the top and definitely pushed the envelope in terms of how society viewed all the things which the original Goldust character stood for and represented.

In addition, I respected Dustin Runnels for having the balls to go out every night dressed as essentially a woman and exhibiting outrageous antics, all with the aim of leaving his own footprint on pro-wrestling and to not simply be rememebred as Dusty Rhodes' son. I think he has managed to achieve this through Goldust.

Nevertheless, I don't see the classic Goldust returning any time soon as he simply wouldn't fit within the confines of the PG WWE. The original Goldust is simply too edgy and controversial to fit comfortably within the image WWE is trying to promote these days and that is why he will remain largely watered down by comparison with what he used to be.

Goldust isn't the only character to be toned down, however, as it could be argued that Kane and Undertaker are not as 'extreme' of characters as they once were, which is perhaps one of the disadvantages of a PG rating...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back