Goldrush 2019- Hayes vs Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Money for nothin, chicks for free
The finals for the Eurasian Championship will conclude with Stetson Hayes vs Garth Black. The Eurasian Championship belt has been waiting for a new handler since it was vacated soon after the Main Event of Kingdom Come. Who will pick up the belt when the smoke clears?

* Deadline for this match is Jan 8th*

This-Is-Rasslin.jpg

This Is Rasslin
Show Date: 1/08/19
S1 - Ep. 07: Demons
Only On The WZCW Network

echo-valley-ranch-spa.jpg

The Rope Break Ranch
Fort Worth, TX
A Week Before Gold Rush

The Minutemen Film Crew trudged up the unstable wooden ladder that led to the family’s attic. Boxes were half packed, half torn open with various awards and sports memorabilia spilt out onto the paneled floors. Stetson Hayes was busily rummaging through one far off in a dark and dusty corner. He tugged at something and wiped frantically at the surface of the object. He plucked a string from the instrument, and it gave off a resounding thwong.

Stetson: Chords’re brittle, but she can play.

He strummed the guitar. Satisfied, he sauntered over to the windowsill that was the only source of light. He plopped down and rested the old Gibson on a knee.

Stetson: Here we are, just a couple of men on a collision course. In the red corner, a recovering addict with a chip on his shoulders so big he could stick it between us and Mexico. In the blue, a family man who makes the fellers tap and the news media yap. I admit something to y’all here and now, cuz I don’t want it gettin’ twisted. Garth Black may be the only true rassler in the world besides me. I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather dance with. I know who is on the other side of that ring. I’m not stupid. Black raised hell a year back. World Champeen. I don’t take something like that lightly.

The cowboy slowly plucked the strings to “Hate To Say I Told You So” by The Hives, Black’s theme. He grew aggressive with the riff, running his pick over the chords at a steady rate. The guitar whined in his hand. He brought the acoustic to a screeching tempo before a string snapped. Stetson glanced down.

Stetson: Well shit. Guess the tune has played itself out…

From below –

Angela: SOUTH! Quit playing with yourself and get down here!

Stetson: Woman I am entertainin’ right now!

Angela: Put your pecker away and entertain later. You need to come down here.

The Eurasian Tournament Finalist sighed.

Stetson: She gettin’ bitchy in her old age. I blame The View.

---

Stetson: The fuck is all this?

The South stared across the dining room and into the den. A group of colleagues were sitting in a circle. They look up at him with somber smiles. He gritted his teeth.

Stetson: …this ain’t what I think it is. Please tell me we about to play Cards Against Humanity.

Angela: Stetson, we would like to talk about your drinking problem.

Stetson: I don’t have a drinking problem, Angie. I have a people problem.

Dakota: It’s been out of hand lately. I did find you lying facedown on the back porch this morning.

Stetson: I was countin’ fire ants.

Pop Beuford: Three days ago you trotted out of Dave’s Bar naked. Carrying a stool.

Stetson: The Cowboys won. Am I not suppos’d to show team spirit no more?

Angela: What about Milwaukee?

Stetson: The fuck else is there to do in Milwaukee, Angie? Watch baseball??

He paced the living room.

Stetson: Alright, fine. I’ll cut down on the sauce. Just as soon as you three start paying the bills. Fair?

Dakota: We are worried about you, dad.

Stetson: Worry about finding a job, boy.

Stetson Hayes went into the kitchen, grabbed Jim Beam, darted for outside and slammed the door behind him. He got into his truck and drove off.

outside-of-the-last-chance.jpg

Last Chance Saloon
Plano, TX
Less Than An Hour Away From The Rope Break Ranch

Once there, he sat the bed of his pickup down and took a seat in the parking lot.

Stetson: Ungrateful, the lot of them. Least whiskey don’t talk back.

The alcoholic uncapped the dark liquid and placed it to his lips. He drank liberally. Hayes nodded at the cameramen taping.

Stetson: Good. Get my good side. I got some things to say to my opponent.

He took another shot and wiped his mouth with the cuff of his sleeve.

Stetson: Yer no saint. Sitting all high and mighty. You’re still walkin’ around the locker room in your “I Hate” t-shirts you wore back when you were being a dick. You ain’t changed. You’re still an entitled brat who just got a little quieter.

Stetson glared over at the saloon. He twirled the bottle in his hand.

Stetson: God that’s good. Let me tell you a story, pardner. I sat in my living room week in, week out waiting for my phone to ring while watching you complain about the company. Saying how you were overlooked. I tried out for WZCW five years ago. Did you know that? There was this talent scout in the stands who saw me make a cocky young dipshit tap out. Still, he chose the boy over me. That same scout is now refereeing the World Champeenship Match. Thas right, Everest. And the boy, Ramparty I think’s his name, went on to team up with the now-World Champ. You’ve heard of Cerberus. Funny how destiny is sometimes. Well, I said “Fine. I’ll do better. Next time they come my way I’ll make the most of the time I got.” And guess what? They called! They gave me some time with their sound stage to shoot some bits for the Lethal Lottery two years back. It was Stetson Hayes’s time, baby. And just as I was wrapping it up, getting ready in the locker room for my number to enter the Lottery, they let me go again. Said they had someone else, someone young and attractive. Kinda like that Ramparty feller. To my horror, she had ZERO experience. Can you believe that? Batti was a goddamn maid! It happened. Rasslin had died right before my eyes.

His eyes glistened, but the hint of emotion was quickly swept away as he bursted out laughing.

Stetson: The funniest thing...I got angry. Started makin' a spectacle of myself. Getting drunk, carrying on. Bar after bar, I got noticed. WZCW likes characters, right? So I chugged and chugged until I found the demons you were too afraid to embrace.

The cowboy hopped off the truck and surveyed the bar again.

Stetson: And now, after half a decade of not bein’ good enough, I’m staring at the face of sobriety and it’s in the way of my title. You had yer chance to be Eurasian Champion several times. So many opportunities to grab dat prize. I don’t have as long as you do. I’m gettin’ up there in years. I don’t have the luxury of being handed title shot after title shot. Why do you think I'm undefeated? I fight to survive! That title deserves a man who will treat her right. I’m fixing to make the most of this chance now. If it means gouging yer fuckin’ eyes out there in the middle of the ring and rollin ‘em like a pair of dice to win, I will! I’m ready to take this as far as it needs to go, Garth Black. Gonna strap on the Cloverleaf and squeeze the walk right outta them legs til nuttin but gold comes out. I’m not like these Johnny Come Latelies with their silly puns for wrestling moves you got used to. I ain’t a fashion model, a politician, a mob boss, a hacker, an actor, a cosplayer, or a goddamn fast food employee neither. What I am is a rassler, cuz this is rasslin. Now show me who you are.

With Jim Beam in hand, Stetson Hayes crossed the parking lot and entered The Last Chance Saloon.

Last edited:
Chapter Three: Coming in from the Cold

For the first time in years, Garth Black recorded the WZCW televisual programmes from the week before. He had done so primarily to scout out his opponent Stetson Hayes, but the longer he watched the more he thought and considered the plights of his colleagues. He realised he saw a lot of himself on the screen, and not just in his own match.

He winced as Tastic, bitter and twisted, turned on Stormrage. Bitter at his spot, bitter at the world, Bitter at everything. Black had been there, and he felt that he was still there at times, angry when it wasn’t his time at the top. Angrier when it was. He hoped Tastic felt a degree of catharsis about it all from his attack, but if he was anything like Black it wouldn’t. Alienation and despair and a continual sinking feeling. When you feel like you’re on the down and out, the vicious circle keeps spinning over and over. He felt for Tastic, but he knew only too well that time was the only medicine that would work.

But Dead Mas wasn’t the only thing that had caught his attention on the broadcast. The hubris of the champion Flex Mussel had raised his ire too. Black had beaten him the week before, and here he was losing again. This is something that he would have let fuel him before. An unworthy champion, but Black was at peace with it. He wanted to become his own, worthy champion, and would be doing so at Gold Rush. He reflected that it was at Gold Rush a couple of years ago where he was able to cement his legacy and put himself in the title picture. Now, here he was in a different title picture, but with a different attitude.

He watched Flex intently, and noticed that Kole and Toyota were always there, always ready to step in. How long before one of them tired of being a sycophant and turned on him. He’d been here long enough to see empires rise and fall. Pale Riders, Cerberus, Apostles of Chaos, Vis Imperium. He was here before all of them, and here once they’d all gone away. He’d long since suspected that it was impossible for ambitious wrestlers to get along with one another. The sword of Damocles hung above every single wrestling team. To the extent that the tag division had died. Killed in the crossfire of friendly fire.

Black had a partner once, but Phoenix had proven to be what everyone else was. A false friend. A mirage of amicability, when the seeds of treachery were always germinating beneath the muddy waters of friendship. Black thought of those that had crossed him, but unlike in earlier weeks, he wasn’t very angry about it, just pensive. He had sworn long ago that he’d never rely on anyone else, but as he reached his own match on last week’s show, he saw something he hadn’t seen for a long time. A smile on his face.

Both himself and Kagura had fought with fluidity and understanding and the results were clear to see. Xander in knots, and Hayes in the back. A victory that Black wouldn’t forget for a long time, and he hoped that it would improve his relationship with Kagura. He didn’t expect her to forget his words and actions, but hopefully she could now move to forgiving him.

It struck Black that perhaps there were people that could be trusted. He wasn’t naïve enough to think that he should now form a more lasting alliance with the Gold Rush finalist, but it was an eye opening experience nonetheless. He thought about those groups. They’d rarely turned on each other, there was always someone holding the knife, or swinging the chair at least. Black looked at the outcome of his match in a new light.

He’d never had any time for Xander, there was no reason to, but the guy fought this match like a man and took his defeat with more grace than was probably deserved. He looked again at his opponent for the upcoming title match. Stetson Hayes walked out on his partner when he needed him most. Not only did he walk out on him, it was more aggressive than that, he fed Xander to the wolves. This was inexcusable.

It struck Black that Hayes was the very worst sort of individual. He would happily throw his so-called partner under the bus to improve his own position, yet he is utterly reliant on a band of sycophantic minutemen to do everything for him. Black spoke, to nobody in particular.

“You can tell the minutemen, that time is up. Because Gold Rush is going to be my finest hour, and the only place Hayes is going to finish is in second place”

He looked around, hoping to get some praise from the room for his excellent word play, or at least a s******, but to no avail. Surrounded by possessions, and not many of those, Black could hear nothing but his own words echoing up the stairwell. After years in the social wilderness, living on his own terms and answering to nobody, Black had grown accustomed to his own company. It was beginning to strike him that the side-effect of being more calm and relaxed about the world was that he was potentially actually missing human interaction.

Over the course of his absence from WZCW and his time in Japan he’d lost a dozen phones and thrown half a dozen more at television screens and walls. The upshot of this was that he had no phone numbers to remedy the situation. If he was completely honest, he wasn’t sure how many people would bother answering the phone even if he did have.

He rooted through the drawers of an old desk, finding nothing but a rolodex that was clearly very old. However, Black was sure that there was one number he could call and be confident that the number would still be correct after all of these years. Fortunately, the number belonged to one of the only people who hadn’t completely shut Black out from their lives.

The phone rang for a while, before’s Daddy Mack’s answering machine answered, if not the man himself.

“Brotherrr, you’ve reached the Mack Attack, I’ll Call you back when I’ve had my snack”

Dejected, Black began to leave a message.

“Hi Mack Daddy, it’s Garth Black, I just wanted to see how things were go…”

“Woah Brother! I’m here, I’m here, yeah, thought it was one of those, advertising cold callers, yeah. The Mack Daddy needs no double glazing, yeah. How are you doing brother?”

“I’m ok, I just wanted to apologise for the way I’ve been the last few years. You didn’t train me that way, I don’t know why I’ve been so angry”

“Anger isn’t the enemy, yeah, you’ve just got to channel it, brother”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, brother, you’re not the only one who has been doing a little reflection, yeah, over the course of the last few weeks, old Mack Daddy has been looking in the mirror too, yeah, and I realised that the only reason I never made it to the top title, yeah, is that I didn’t channel my energy where it was appropriate.”

“You were hardly a failure, you were one of the most popular wrestlers with the fans”

“And I wouldn’t change that for the world, yeah. Nothing will ever replace the roar of that crowd, yeah, and I’m proud that I was Eurasian champion, yeah, but I was never angry enough to make it to the top of the ladder, yeah, and I think I could have done with some of your fire, brother.”

“But I feel like my anger has been leading me up the garden path. Even these last few weeks, I’ve seen it get the better of me at times. I just start reverting to how I used to be, not so much with the conspiracy theories, but definitely the acerbic poetry that I used to snap into some times.”

“And why is that a problem, brother?”

“Because it keeps me distracted from the matter at hand. Being angry at Becky Serra or Vance Bateman or whoever isn’t going to beat Stetson Hayes”

“But being angry at Stetson Hayes will, yeah. Not too much, but focussed energy brother, yeah, turn the laser cannon on him, yeah.”

“I mean I guess I am angry at Hayes. He’s a pretty big lowlife.”

“What are you angry with him for?”

“I hate the way he comes across rootin-tootin, when he’s quite highfalutin,

I hate the way he left his partner standing, and slapped him on the landing”

Black could feel the rage bubbling up. He liked it.

“I hate the way he talks, and then the way he baulks

When the going gets tough, he either gets rough

Or runs for the hills, seeking cheap thrills.”

“Ok Brother, yeah, this is working well”

“I hate his massive hat and boots, I hate his outlook, I hate his roots

He won’t be getting in my head, I won’t be stewing in my bed,

I’m going to bring the title home, for the fans, not me alone,

Even if I was a sinner, they deserve a worthy winner,

Not some low-life obscene, vulgar, cheap and thick ‘champeen’

At Gold Rush I’ll be victorious, and beat the guy whose shtick’s laborious.”

“YEAH! Now go get ‘em brotherrrrr!”

Black was ready, angry but ready. His mentor had channeled all of his fears and trepidation into a single minded focussed beam, and Black had Hayes in his sights. Black knew that he still had a long way to go before he could truly be content with where he’d got to, but he was on the way for sure. He was now confident that he had all the tools he needed to do it. He felt he had Daddy Mack behind him, and he was now going to get the crowd behind him too.

On the other end of the phone, Daddy Mack was lying in his bed with a bandana on. A nurse took the phone off him, and placed it back on the receiver.

“You know Mr. Mack, it’s none of my business, but I feel that your really should have told him”

“He doesn’t need to know yet, bro… er sister.”

Mack turned his head to the side and closed his eyes, falling into a peaceful slumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back