• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goldbergs WWE Run

BK Styles

Certified Nerd
Just seen a photo on this site of Bill Goldberg, The Rock, and Stone Cold Steve Austin, and it got me thinking. Sure, we got our dream feud of Goldberg vs Rock, we got to see Goldberg squash people (him destroying 3 minute warning was my personal favorite moment of his 'E run) and we got to see Goldberg vs Lesnar (all be it a dissapointment). BUT we never got to see Goldberg vs Austin. There was some tension between them in the Lesnar feud, but nothing more.

So, I have two questions

1. Would you have liked to see Austin vs Goldberg? If so, why? And if not, why not? What would make you want to see it?

2. Who would you have liked to see fued with Goldberg when he returned

P.S. I know that there are some who dislike Goldberg, claim he can't wrestle, claim he's a hazard in the ring, etc, but thats not what this is about, so please no Goldberg bashing.

I would've liked to have seen Austin vs Goldberg. They were the two top stars of their companys at one point. To see them go head to head would have been a dream match for any fan during the Monday night war era. It was to bad that Austin was no longer in the shape to put on the type of matches he could have.

Other than Austin, I would have liked to have seen him feud with Kane or Undertaker. I would have loved to see Goldberg vs Taker at Wrestlemania, but Goldberg probably would not have wanted to lay down for the pin.

I was always bummed that Goldberg and Steiner in particular held out on coming to WWE after the invasion, and they both had such short runs once they did get there. As far as who Goldberg could've worked with, my memory is a little fuzzy on his E run as it was quite a while ago (and short) but offhand I would have liked to have seen him have a program with Kurt Angle, Undertaker, maybe a couple of big power guys like Big Show or Mark Henry, and of course even though I'm not really a fan the obvious choice would have to be John Cena. Batista would have been good as well even though he was still pretty green when Goldberg was on his way out. I feel like his time in WWE was filled with missed opportunity and wasted potential, which was a shame for sure, as the fans of WCW and WWE had dreamed of that moment back in the late '90s.

Like the idea of a Goldberg/Taker feud, could have been interesting. And REALLY like the idea of Goldberg vs Angle. Now THAT could of been great. Its a pity neither crossed paths, really. :-(

1. Would you have liked to see Austin vs Goldberg? If so, why? And if not, why not? What would make you want to see it?
Of course, loved to have seen it, but the time Goldberg came in was after Austin had just retired...and the feud wasn't going to happen, we did see Asutin stunner Goldberg tho...

I would have losed tosee this feud and match though in 1998 or 1999, when they were both on top...and they were both badd ass and ripin thru both companies...

2. Who would you have liked to see fued with Goldberg when he returned..
TBH, the people he feuded with were the people I would say suited him best...Who else was there...HHH was like number 1...Taker feud would have been worthwile..

I would have loved to see Austin vs Goldberg...Partly because of the fact that Goldberg was kind of a replica of Austin in WCW in a manner of speaking (ring attire minus the vest that Austin wore, and the bald head. both were traits that Bischoff didn't think would be successful but obviously he was wrong) and to answer the 2nd question: I would have loved to see Goldberg vs either member of the brothers of destruction or either member of the APA

1. Would you have liked to see Austin vs Goldberg? If so, why? And if not, why not? What would make you want to see it? honestly in those circumstances, no I wouldnt. WWE would have put Stone Cold over Goldberg they would have wanted to show that their guy from the monday night wars was better than WCW's guy. The only reason Goldberg went over the Rock is because Rocky was on his way out and WWE was trying to protect their product. not that stone cold shouldnt win but I dont wanna know whos gunna win goin into a big match like that. I would want to see it if it was in TNA or ROH, u know. neutral ground.

2. Who would you have liked to see fued with Goldberg when he returned? I would have liked to see him VS Kane or undertaker like everybody said, he had a few matches with HBK but no real fued, that would have been kewl. ( could have turned him heel, "you screwed Brett, I ended Brett")

Would I have liked to see a match between Steve Austin and Bill Goldberg? Yes and no. Yes, because they were both huge, Goldberg was the face of WCW and Austin the face of the WWF. But no, because the booking would've been terrible, it's true that Goldberg took out The Rock but I wonder if that would've been the case had The Rock been on the permanent roster instead of the special occasion wrestler he'd become at that point. With Austin it'd either have been a standard Goldberg squash or Austin would've pulled out the win to further bury WCW's legacy. I don't think in the WWE they'd have been able to make a match that lived up to what I'd imagine.

As for potential feuds there's a ton, Angle, HBK, Undertaker, etc. With the exception of Hogan, Goldberg is the one guy I think would've turned the Invasion storyline around as I don't think the WWE could've watered down his character in the same way they did Booker T and DDP. I also think the original idea of keeping WCW guys separated as faces and heels would've worked better had Goldberg been there because everyone cheered him.

It's quite hard for me to say who I would have liked to have seen feud with Goldberg. His entire character was based around him squashing and destroying people, and it would not have been good for the WWE if they booked Goldberg to crush any of their top stars easily.

So, Goldberg was pretty much forced to wrestle the regular WWE style, selling moves which was not his strong point.

If he had to wrestle this way, then Austin or Angle would be who I would have liked to see hm feud with. Kurt was so good at the time he could have carried Goldberg to a great match. Austin purely for the WWE vs WCW style storyline, the top guys from each of the top 2 companys finally colliding

I did like Goldbergs run. Although really all WWE could do is put him in those big dream matchups because he was already as big as he was going to get due to his push in WCW (The best push, and maybe the only, in WCW history). He had the fued with Rock, a mini fued with Jericho that ended after Bad Blood 2003, then HHH fued, and the lesnar fued. Notice all four of those guys were really big names in the company. He also put Batista over when HHH put the bounty on his head.

Thinking about the roster at the time I cant really think of who he could have fueded with. Any other big name he would have faced wouldnt be able to top the HHH fued most likely and really Goldberg is the one dimensional smash mouth badass. Mysterio came to mind but he is always a face and Goldberg heel is like having Orton as a face. Just not good. Plus if Mysterio had a fued with Goldberg that would have mirrored the Big Show fued.

2 more names that come into mind were Steiner and Test. Although Goldberg and Steiner had already fueded in WCW. Test had a more athletic side to him with the flying elbow and he was one of WWE's best heels. Mark Henry? Way to one dimensional and it would have been terrible.

The best name I can think of is Kane. Both have that smashmouth style. Goldberg would be coming off the fued with Lesnar and Kane right after WM20was used as a stepping stone for Edge's return. So it would have been perfect timing and I think they could have made Goldberg seem human going up against Kane's sadistic side. It would have kept Kane relevant and maybe Goldberg would have stuck around until Summerslam hopefully.

Would I have liked to see a match between Steve Austin and Bill Goldberg? Yes and no. Yes, because they were both huge, Goldberg was the face of WCW and Austin the face of the WWF. But no, because the booking would've been terrible, it's true that Goldberg took out The Rock but I wonder if that would've been the case had The Rock been on the permanent roster instead of the special occasion wrestler he'd become at that point. With Austin it'd either have been a standard Goldberg squash or Austin would've pulled out the win to further bury WCW's legacy. I don't think in the WWE they'd have been able to make a match that lived up to what I'd imagine.

As for potential feuds there's a ton, Angle, HBK, Undertaker, etc. With the exception of Hogan, Goldberg is the one guy I think would've turned the Invasion storyline around as I don't think the WWE could've watered down his character in the same way they did Booker T and DDP. I also think the original idea of keeping WCW guys separated as faces and heels would've worked better had Goldberg been there because everyone cheered him.

And WWE portrayed The Rock as the top guy during the Goldberg fued so that would have made WWE look pretty damn stupid.

Austin Vs Goldberg, even at their peek, would've still been a yes and no for me. Yes in the fact it would've been frickin' huge. No in the fact that Austin was delicate enough as it was, put him in there with someone who wasn't known for looking after his opponents and it could've had some serious damage issues for wrestling as a whole.

When he came back there were only two feuds I wanted to see that didn't happen. Austin Vs Goldberg because it would've brought some serious interest back to WWE and, secondly, Goldberg Vs Hogan as they never quite finished it in WCW

I would have liked to see them feud at some point. If Goldberg came sooner, like right after or during the invasion it would have made more sense, but since he didn't I don't think it would have been that good of a match, Austin was on his way out and getting older, and both were well past their prime. I mean Goldberg could still destroy but I'm not sure how much longer he would have held up even if his run in the E was longer. Also it wouldn't live up to the hype a match of that magnitude would have received. So, I would have liked to see it at some. point preferably mid-invasion, but it wouldn't have felt right if it was during his actual run in the E.

As for who else I would have liked to see him feud with. Most of the big ones have been said, a HHH, Angle, or Taker feud would have been epic. But I honestly liked the feuds he had. I was actually at the Rock vs Goldberg Match, it was at Backlash. And the whole crowd was completely into the match 100%. At first everyone starting cheering for Goldberg, especially during his entrance, and mainly because he was the face. But about half way through it was as if everyone was like WTF? are we doing, the Rock is our boy, and a lot of the crowd, at least in my section, turned and started cheering the Rock. Just saying, that that match was fucking electric and I don't think any other feud could have topped it, at least to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back