• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goldbergs WWE Run(Good Or Bad)?

Deexter Jorgan

Has a Dark Passenger on board...
I was browsing Youtube today looking at old WWE promos post draft and came across a killer promo for Goldberg and Triple H for the World Heavyweight championship, It made me think about Goldbergs interviews after leaving the WWE and his run as a whole,

[youtube]y1xsJ8vipAY[/youtube]

If you remember Goldberg and the WWE stated that his WWE run was less then memoriable, and can easily be put as one of the most forgettable runs in wrestling history.

Lets look back

Goldberg came in to the wwe and plowed through the competition beating the former six time world champion the Rock

[youtube]ny65BqB-8tM[/youtube]

He then continued his dominance in a kayfab feud spawning from backstage heat between himself and chris jericho going all the way back to WCW

[youtube]2-4tENT14b8[/youtube]

Goldberg then beat a strong up and comer Rodney Mac and basically killed the young mans career before it even started, from what i understand he was on to a midcard push and probably an IC title reign

[youtube]AtA-aVl26Cg&[/youtube]

Goldberg then climed the mountain and secured his place in WWE history by beating the unbeatable Triple H and becoming the World Heavyweight champion

[youtube]K15XF-bjPvI&[/youtube]

Goldberg had his win overshadowed by the bounty on his head placed by Raws ever dominant heel Triple H, the bounty was cashed in by the one and Only Batista making Evolution into a four man group and starting their reign of dominance over the Raw Roster

[youtube]OB8d3NXL-RI[/youtube]

Goldbergs reign was short lived being defeated by Triple H in a triple Threat match also involving the at the time dominant monster Kane

[youtube]e6I5F2Pl_q0[/youtube]

Goldberg attempted to regain momentum by securing a win at the Royal Rumble which culminated in a feud with Smackdowns dominante champion Brock Lesner, after months of costing matches the storyline came to head at Wrestlemania inwhich would be both Brock Lesners and Goldbergs last WWE match

[youtube]1zD9dxrIxow[/youtube]

Goldberg has beaten some of the best that the WWE has had to offer, he was even given the rub by one of the WWE's biggest main eventers but has told numerous outlets that his WWE run was bad and that he was mistreated truthfully by the list of wins i dont see how..

The list of wins is as follows

Def The Rock (Former six time champion gave Goldberg the Final rub before going to hollywood and made sparing appearences in the wwe)

Def Chris Jericho(former undisputed world champion and WCW champion)

Def Rodney Mac ending his undefeated streak on Raw

Dominanted the Elimination chamber before being beaten by Triple H (securing wins over the likes of shawn michaels and chris jericho by pinfall)

Def Triple H securing the World Heavyweight championship ending a near dominante run on Raw

Lost the World Heavyweight championship back to triple H after being chock slammed by the monster Kane.

Was thrown out of the Royal Rumble due to interference by Brock Lesner

Def Brock Lesner at Wrestlemania on his way out of the company

Goldbergs WWE run has never been immitated, no one in the WWE has gone over soo many main eventers but still has managed to state that he has been misused.

So was his WWE run good or bad? and who is to blame for Goldbergs abrupt world title change and sudden disappearence?

IMO Goldberg was hard to push in the first place, he wasnt exactly a technical machine and was badly trained by the WCW power plant officials (too lazy to even think who they where), he even ended Bret harts wrestling career.

But the main reason Goldberg failed to get over is that the WWE couldn't do anything other then the streak, WCW had the same problem, once Goldberg's streak ended he was left in limbo and had no idea what was left, he wasn't as gifted on the mic as the rock, stone cold and the other members of the wwe roster, he had a variable move set but couldn't really work a match around anyone that didn't consist of a quick squash, and he was too expensive to send into developmental (I don't even think he would even wanted to go into developmental).

The Fact is Goldberg was never in this business for anything else then the money, he had the look, he had somewhat of an ability, but apart from that there was nothing left and i think the WWE did there best with the big monster who has nothing better to say about the former company that he managed to dominate for nearly a year.

Talk about a hype machine, when word came out that Goldberg was coming to the WWE, we thought we were about to see some dream matches. Goldberg v.s Stone Cold, Goldberg v.s The Rock (which we did see), Goldberg v.s Angle, and so on.

All we got was him beating, then losing to HHH, beating someone named Rodney Mack, who wasn't going to be pushed...hence why he was dominated by Goldberg. And his 'match' with Brock Lesnar. His stay was tainted because he was such an impact player in the WCW and did next to nothing in the WWE. No Stone Cold match, but it wasn't his fault. Austin was hurt too badly to go into a match with Goldberg. He also never wrestled at Wrestlemania. He came, he saw, he left. No real impact made. It doesn't mater who he goes over...it's the fashion and stage on which he does it. He wrestled Lesnar and to be honest, if it wasn't for Lesnar leaving for football, this match could have been epic, but Lesnar didn't give a fuck about the match and Goldberg didn't either.

Overall, Goldberg didn't leave a lasting impression on the WWE simply because he didn't face the people we wanted him to fight, he made the WCW too much money, so Vince wasn't going to give him the keys to the WWE anyway, and because he didn't give a shit anymore. He made his money and was done.

Talk about a hype machine, when word came out that Goldberg was coming to the WWE, we thought we were about to see some dream matches. Goldberg v.s Stone Cold, Goldberg v.s The Rock (which we did see), Goldberg v.s Angle, and so on.

All we got was him beating, then losing to HHH, beating someone named Rodney Mack, who wasn't going to be pushed...hence why he was dominated by Goldberg. And his 'match' with Brock Lesnar. His stay was tainted because he was such an impact player in the WCW and did next to nothing in the WWE. No Stone Cold match, but it wasn't his fault. Austin was hurt too badly to go into a match with Goldberg. He also never wrestled at Wrestlemania. He came, he saw, he left. No real impact made. It doesn't mater who he goes over...it's the fashion and stage on which he does it. He wrestled Lesnar and to be honest, if it wasn't for Lesnar leaving for football, this match could have been epic, but Lesnar didn't give a fuck about the match and Goldberg didn't either.

Overall, Goldberg didn't leave a lasting impression on the WWE simply because he didn't face the people we wanted him to fight, he made the WCW too much money, so Vince wasn't going to give him the keys to the WWE anyway, and because he didn't give a shit anymore. He made his money and was done.

First off, Goldberg did wrestle at WrestleMania (if you can call it that). It was his last match as well as Lesnar's. In fact he won.

Secondly, wasn't a fan of Goldberg coming in, and was glad to see him go. From what I have read coming from him, he had the Hogan complex (needing to be top dog). The difference between him and Hogan is, Hogan has given years to this industry and has brought up other talent. From my understanding, there was a list of people he would not put over or lose to. (Even though if that list was accurate, then he folded on the Triple H part.) Most of them were the main-eventers everyone wanted to see him against. He seemed like he had a bad attitude coming in and had one going out. This may be because he didn't trust McMahon one bit. You don't have to like who you work with, but you need to have some trust.

Last, he never seemed to be anything more than a streak. I don't blame him for that. It is one of those things that what makes you great will also kill you. Goldberg made a lot of money and so did WCW. But once it was over, the luster was just gone. And talk about regurgitated storylines, it is almost like WWE tried so hard to avoid it, but couldn't. His only two losses were in a chamber match (when he was hit in the head with a sledgehammer) and a triple threat involving Kane and Triple H. Neither one-on-one. I believe that Kane may be the only person he never beat but could be wrong.

He was good while the streak lasted in WCW. But after that, the luster just wasn't there; or at least for me.

IMO Goldberg's WWE run was far better then his WCW run based solely off who he was fed and who he defeated. In WCW he was only fed Psychosis and Chavo Guerrero aside from the one time he faced a Raven, DDP, Scott Hall, or Hogan. Where as you mentioned, in WWE he was fed the best of the best.

I don't believe there is anyone to blame for the rapid title change other then they wanted to go a different route and a WM HHH/Goldberg would be overdone. Plus a Goldberg/Lesnar match would have been the ultimate Raw Monster vs Smackdown Monster match for Wrestlemania had both not decided to leave and WWE gave up on their match. Certainly better then Batista/Umaga.

While true that he was not a great technical wrestler, the fact is, he was OVER. WAY OVER. and Vince would be a fool not to use him like he did, because Goldberg needed the credibility as a monster which he never got in WCW due to who he faced. Likewise, Goldberg would have been a complete moron not to take the ball and run with it as long as he could.

As you can tell by my avatar I'm a Goldberg fan. I feel he received a decent enough push, but without knowing what was going on backstage it's hard to gauge him entirely. You can say he beat Lesnar at Wrestlemaina, essentially defeating the monster proclaiming dominance, but it was forgotten since they both left. He beat the Rock, but the Rock was on his way out. It's just how everything transpired that hurt his legacy in the WWE. Those rivalries, IMO, are 10x better than almost anything we've seen since then. I was very entertained by his run, but in the end I don't view it as very successful because it was very short-lived and Vince was never going to let him "own" the WWE, which answers your question on how Goldberg could feel mistreated dispite beating The Rock and Lesnar, they were both leaving. In the end he didn't really own any dominating forces who ended up sticking around. It's an odd situation, and overall difficult to judge.

First off, Goldberg did wrestle at WrestleMania (if you can call it that). It was his last match as well as Lesnar's. In fact he won.

Lariat Acknowledged this, he just said that Goldberg didnt wrestle as sarcasm because he and lesner stunk up the place, the only thing that saved the match was austin and he didnt even wrestle!

Secondly, wasn't a fan of Goldberg coming in, and was glad to see him go. From what I have read coming from him, he had the Hogan complex (needing to be top dog). The difference between him and Hogan is, Hogan has given years to this industry and has brought up other talent. From my understanding, there was a list of people he would not put over or lose to. (Even though if that list was accurate, then he folded on the Triple H part.) Most of them were the main-eventers everyone wanted to see him against. He seemed like he had a bad attitude coming in and had one going out. This may be because he didn't trust McMahon one bit. You don't have to like who you work with, but you need to have some trust.

Goldberg had no respect for the business because he got a push from the get go, WCW overpaid him, overused him and gave him nearly every singles title in the company, the fact is Goldberg made alot of money for the company but after the streak there was no other place for the big man to go, his promos where bad, and he couldnt really do anything else but plow through the roster.

Last, he never seemed to be anything more than a streak. I don't blame him for that. It is one of those things that what makes you great will also kill you. Goldberg made a lot of money and so did WCW. But once it was over, the luster was just gone. And talk about regurgitated storylines, it is almost like WWE tried so hard to avoid it, but couldn't. His only two losses were in a chamber match (when he was hit in the head with a sledgehammer) and a triple threat involving Kane and Triple H. Neither one-on-one. I believe that Kane may be the only person he never beat but could be wrong.

He was good while the streak lasted in WCW. But after that, the luster just wasn't there; or at least for me.

The streak was Goldberg, the money was Goldberg, he only went to the wwe because he believed that they would do the same as WCW thats push him to the moon and pay him whatever he wants and truth be told, he was right, was he worth the money No?, could they have done more with him at the time....No because the WWEs raw main event talent was there and Goldberg destroyed them.

Lariat Acknowledged this, he just said that Goldberg didnt wrestle as sarcasm because he and lesner stunk up the place, the only thing that saved the match was austin and he didnt even wrestle!

Goldberg had no respect for the business because he got a push from the get go, WCW overpaid him, overused him and gave him nearly every singles title in the company, the fact is Goldberg made alot of money for the company but after the streak there was no other place for the big man to go, his promos where bad, and he couldnt really do anything else but plow through the roster.

The streak was Goldberg, the money was Goldberg, he only went to the wwe because he believed that they would do the same as WCW thats push him to the moon and pay him whatever he wants and truth be told, he was right, was he worth the money No?, could they have done more with him at the time....No because the WWEs raw main event talent was there and Goldberg destroyed them.

Then I apologize to Brock Lariat for my oversight. Other than that, I agree with what you said. I just didn't see the need to say the things you originally posted.

It was forgettable, but both parties got what they wanted out of the deal. Vince got paid for high-profile matches and Goldberg got paid period. If it had been longer, who knows what would have happened but I never thought Goldberg was going anything longer than a year simply because as you said, "Goldberg had no respect for the business."

Then I apologize to Brock Lariat for my oversight. Other than that, I agree with what you said. I just didn't see the need to say the things you originally posted.

It was forgettable, but both parties got what they wanted out of the deal. Vince got paid for high-profile matches and Goldberg got paid period. If it had been longer, who knows what would have happened but I never thought Goldberg was going anything longer than a year simply because as you said, "Goldberg had no respect for the business."

Goldberg inpatience was the worst part, Booker T was in the WWE longer, he came in as the WCW champion and had to work for his title opportunity, he worked his way up the ladder and worked his ass off before the WWE pulled the trigger on his title opportunity, if not for the whole signature pharmacy schandle I think booker would probably still be with the Company now.

Goldberg wanted all the fame and respect he got in WCW but couldnt get it in the WWE, the locker room wasnt as disorganized as the WCW locker room, they have a pecking order which kinda pisses alot of WCW guys of Goldbergs calibure off, but who knows unless we where actually there we will never know what the main catalist was that led to Goldbergs departure, all we know is what Goldberg was and that was a world champion for a short time who quit.

he would be more willing for a return since the main reason of his depature was he didnt feel comftorable with the risky programming

I think a dream match would be Goldberg vs. Angle. Both are just machines who have so much adrenaline, and both are used to just decimating their opponents and are so resiliant and wouldn't go down.

he would be more willing for a return since the main reason of his depature was he didnt feel comftorable with the risky programming

Goldberg would say that, do you want to see the whole new blood angle where goldberg constantly says the word Fuck to kevin nash and the fans, that was WCW's version of attempting to be risky. Goldberg always attempts to knock the WWE but in all fairness he had a damn better run then most WCW guys coming in beating alot of main event talent, and if he had that much of a problem why did he sign in the first place?.

Reason is because he felt that he was the biggest thing in wrestling and thought that they would invest their time and hard earned money on him, and because they didnt feed his ego he took his ball and ran all the way home

I`ll never understand why in the hell people claim Vince didn`t give him the keys to the WWE because he made WCW so much money and all.
Here is the situation. The guy signs a 1 year contract. 1 year! Meaning he leaves after those 12 months. During this one year, he became World Heavyweight Champion. He became the top face on Raw and is the only guy to have actually defeated HHH for the title in a year. He defeated the Rock, who defeated Stone Cold in his last match. Meanwhile Undertaker was feuding with A-Train. I think you can`t ask for more for a guy who has a year contract. He was main eventer. Of course there were so many other matches that could have happened but again, there is so much you can do in a year. Let`s face it, he was never going to have 100 matches undefeated streak....I personally would have switch off TV in that case. As far as I am concerned, it is never a good investment to put a guy on top when you know he`ll leave soon.
If it was plan that Goldberg would defeat Brock even before Brock announced he was leaving....it was a terrible idea.
It was a good run. Could have been better but it was still good.

I didn't know it was at WM. Thought it was the Royal Rumble or Summerslam for some reason.

My point is, Goldberg's WWE tenure was a failure. He didn't commit to the WWE, wouldn't put hardly anyone over, except for HHH...and that was more or less an 'if you don't put me over, kiss your ass goodbye' kind of thing. He drew big money because of the Streak and I guess he was just a case of being over hyped and when the hype was over...there was nowhere else to go.

And what's ironic about Goldberg, his motto in the WWE...'BELIEVE THE HYPE!'

The best way to label Goldberg's wwe run is neither good or bad. It just was. I disagree with the assesment he put over soooo many main eventers.

the rock: yes goldberg beat him but this wasn't the rock in his heyday, it was the rock's last match from his last run (not counting the tag match with foley which he was only on tv for a couple times total!) so the rock put him over bc he was on his way out.

and Jericho, yes he was put over him but I dont think anyone at the time thought wow I cant belive they are making Jericho lie down for him.

And HHH actually beat him in an elimination chamber and in the triple threat.

Overall I think he was what he was, a quick fix for wwe at the time, He wasnt interested in staying long and they werent interested in him being a fixture on tv for years to come. From what i've read and seen he had hogan, hall, and nash all telling him how to politic in his ear from the moment he start which is why he didnt get along well backstage (and from what i've heard most people say goldberg is an absolute great guy outside of wrestling)

As far as not being a good wrestler, this is true but that never was his style, it's like hating batista now (Which a lot due). they are beast who are strong, that's their thing!

Goldberg run wasn't unforgettable but it was spectacular either. Goldbergs successes and eventunally failure was based on the streak. Goldberg didn't come in with a clean slant and whole run was based on his past success in wcw. Wwe billed goldberg to be dominant so they gave him one of the most over wrestlers in the history....the rock. The start of his run was great but the built to the main event should have been a slower process. The triple h match should have been at mania(even though benoit win was awesome). Thr way he was use u couldn't see any longivity in his charecter that part wasn't his fault it was vinces. Creative was lazy with his charecter development and didn't indicate a difference between the charecter of goldberg in wcw and the new goldberg in wwe. yes booker t did have success working hard climbing the ladder(just get screwed at wm19) but booker wasn't build the same way goldberg was nor was the other wrestlers who came from wcw. Either they became jobbers or midcarders. Even if u say goldberg had no respect for the business whether that true or not that has nothing to do with his success or failure because he failed because he was set up to fail

the run was terrible. after everything he did in the old WCW. WWE used him so bad. I didnt watch this run because i had stopped watching around 2002. from what ive seen though it was a terrible run by his standards. the match at WM 20 was a culmination of everything. it wasnt hyped well at all.

what wasnt hyped well at all? goldberg or the wm 20 match? cause i know your not talking about the mania match. that was being hyped months months before mania. the little promos here and there cmon. on paper that match should of been the match of the yr. but they both were leaving and didnt give a fuck. thats why it sucked so much. everything from wcw mcmahon killed... bischoff steiner booker t nwo goldberg. sting is the only smart one to stay away

I did watch a lot of WWE, during the summer holidays, and If Im notmistaken, Goldberg was around then, thats when Raw was on Sky1, and was free to watch. If I remember correctly, Goldberg was pushed to the hilt, he had a huge push from the start, and yes ahving a streak is great, but once its stopped, it can kill your career...Umaga hasnt been used properly ina while...one example.

I think the storylines, and so on with Godlberg, were relatively good, but he could probably have been used better. He was expensive, made a lot of money for both WCW, and WWE as well as himself but, if he was used in a different way, it may have been better, mabye if, he was more of a chaser at first, and then winning the title, he, may have been in WWE longer then, as he was only Contracted for a year I believe. I wouldnt have minded seeing him face Undertaker...or someone like that. But I think he beat Kane in the Elimination Chamber.

Well all Goldberg's run was ever leading up to was a Mania match against Lesnar. That was WWE's plan from the beginning, and it's silly to think otherwise. They just let him do all that crap so he'd be still over by the time he went up against Lesnar.

But considering what it was all building up to ended up as a clusterfuck, i'd give an emphatic BAD to the question.
And I'm not just talking about his match with Lesnar. There's also the fact that he didn't even appear on screen for the last few weeks before Mania so WWE had to make Lesnar feud with Austin. Actually, it should've been Austin vs Lesnar instead, Austin would've worked stiff as fuck if Lesnar had been that lazy against him to try and pull some sort of match out of the whole situation.

I always thought Goldberg was overrated and hype. He couldn't talk, couldn't work, and couldn't/wouldn't get anyone over!

He was Steve Austion without talent.

By the way. Last week, I left a comment and was banned temporary stating I was spam??? lol. Anyone have any idea what that is about?

He was good for his time an Oklahoma Jew making it big time, yeah He maybe didn't have the heart for WWE. Got a good year outta him, but that was what 6-7 years ago,,,geez give it a rest, I'd rather see him talking about muscle cars than wrestle.

He was good for his time an Oklahoma Jew making it big time, yeah He maybe didn't have the heart for WWE. Got a good year outta him, but that was what 6-7 years ago,,,geez give it a rest, I'd rather see him talking about muscle cars than wrestle.

This isn't a negative thread against Goldberg, this is a thread where you can voice your opinions on his WWE run, each member has an opinion and each opinion is valid, you can't tell people to get a life just because you don't agree with them, try adding more detail telling people why you think his run was either good or bad. well rant over

IMO Goldberg needed this run to be a sucess, so did the WWE, but the fact is neither side where willing to actually give the other what they desired.

Goldberg wanted to carry the company which only lasted for a month, The Wwe wanted to builed him up to face lesner at Wrestlemania in hopes that Goldberg would give lesner the biggest rub in WWE history, but due to something either mis booking or the fact that both men where leaving Goldberg and Lesner ended up stinking the joint up, it left a bad taste in evryones mouth, and both sides parted ways with less then amicable intentions.

The thing i hate the most is that Goldberg attempted to turn this into not liking about the WWE's overall product.

too much bitching for someone who got paid alot of money, shame really

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back