• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goldbergs streak wasn't all that exaggerated

"Where did you read that" WCW barely had any "live shows"

They didn't do the constant touring that WWE did, but they absolutely did have house show tours.

Saying 1998 was their best year for house shows is all relative. If they did 50 shows a year, and their 50 shows in 1998 drew more than any other year... then yeah 1998 was their best year.

Oh yeah, and on topic...

the streak was exaggerated. By the end of it the total of matches somewhat lined up, but during it? There would be weeks that the number climbed by increments that just didn't make sense, and others where it seemed the needle barely moved.

That's fine though. The point was to put the streak, and hence Goldberg himself over, and they did an amazing job with it.

My understanding is that Bischoff killed off house shows when he originally took over and everybody wrestled at Disney/MGM. Once business picked up, they started doing them again, but did Goldberg honestly wrestle at house shows after he became US champion?

This is a serious question because it is common knowledge that most WCW top guys never worked house shows. This is why Flair says they killed a lot of the towns in the late 90s because they wouldn't deliver headliners at the house shows. There's an interview on Youtube in 99 where Russo explains to Dave Meltzer how bad the house shows were booked when he first showed up. It actually lends credibility to his later stories about how bad things were when he first got there.

They came to LA and advertised "Saturday Nitro" when they came in '96/97 I think. The Luchadores, and Hall & Nash were on the advertisements. I asked a friend who went if he Hogan or any of the guys wrestled and he said no, Konnan was in the main event, lol.

I'd argue that his streak should have never ended. Period. Hard stop. And I'm totally serious. He should have remained undefeated for years and years because he was far and away the most marketable commodity in the company. You could tease losses, but he should have just gone full Mayweather by the end of it.

I get that it would have created issues with the World Title once he won it, but to me that's still an easy fix — TNA just did it with EC3 during his streak by having him compete in losing efforts where he didn't take the pin or submit. Same deal for Goldberg. He could still lose his title by not actually losing it himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back