Goldberg's Biggest Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
There was a time when Golderg was the hottest thing in pro wrestling during his days in WCW. He was on a roll, and WCW fans were all for the streak, and him being champion until....he lost the title to Kevin Nash at Starrcade 1998. I know that match was no DQ, but having Scott Hall hit Goldberg with a stun gun? It was so dumb. Now lets fast-forward to Goldberg's time in WWE. At Summerslam 2003, Goldberg annihilated Chris Jericho, Shawn Michales, and Randy Orton (Kevin Nash was lucky to only get the superkick from HBK for his elimination) in the Elimination Chamber. But after Flair tossed Triple H the sledgehammer, he was able to defeat Goldberg, and retain the World Heavyweight Championship. This match was proably Goldberg's best performance in WWE. So I'm wondering, which of these loses do you think hurt Goldberg the most? Goldberg's lost at Starrcade '98 was big because he was proably the hottest thing in wrestling, as far as popularity goes. But on the flip-side of that, Goldberg was on fire leading up to Summerslam 2003. And although Goldberg went on to win the WHC from HHH at Unforgiven 2003, it wouldn't of been as big as him winning at Summerslam. I'm going to have to pick Starrcade '98 as Goldberg's biggest loss. WCW should've never had him lose. He was never really able to recapture that momentum. What's your pick for Goldbgerg's biggest loss? And why?

His time in the WWE was a waste... they booked him really bad plus i never really liked watching him...he was one those guys who i saw as wcw and not wwe and his title reign was crap didnt see the point of him having the belt. his worse loss was starcave...one bc he was still unbeaten they should of just let him go with it bc the crowd was all 4 it and then he couldnt even lose cleanly having scoot hall interfer and stun him.

I think his loss to Steiner was a big loss, it was his last match in WCW. Him losing to Triple H for the WHC was near the end of his WWE run.

I think his loss to Steiner was a big loss, it was his last match in WCW. Him losing to Triple H for the WHC was near the end of his WWE run.

Not 100% sure but I think his last lost in WCW came in a tag team match against Totally Buff(Buff Bagwell and Lex Luger), and Goldberg's partner was his Power Plant trainer Dwayne Bruce. I know his Summerslam '03 loss was near the end of his time in WWE, but you have to remeber, it proably was Goldberg's best performance in WWE. So him winning that match would've been a memorable moment

I think it was a combination of things in regards to his Starrcade 98 loss. I think that particular loss really hurt Goldbergs momentum (not because he lost, just the entire way it went down with the stungun). The way they handled him after that loss is what killed him, I think the fingerpoke of doom was what did it for him. That night Goldberg was in jail (kayfabe of course) for stalking Miss Elizabeth. After it was found out Goldberg was innocent he went back to the Georgia Dome where the fingerpoke of doom just happened. Then he came down, got destroyed by the NWO and was made to look like a complete jackass. Then after that he was booked to look second rate. Basically after his loss, he was made to look like a mid carder, he certainly didn't look like a main eventer anymore, he just looked like another guy (They literally destroyed everything he had in the span of 1 month).

The HHH loss didn't really hurt Goldberg because HHH did cheat with the sledgehammer (yeah the ending was lame, I admit) and a month later Goldberg beat him clean like 3 PPV's in a row. They didn't destroy his momentum like WCW did after his first loss, they at least tried to make Goldberg big again, but by that time the mystique of Goldberg was gone and people didn't care for him anymore. That was certainly not the WWE's fault in my opinion, Goldbergs time was just done.

I thing that it wasn't so much the loss itself at Starrcade '98 that killed Goldberg. It was the impending storyline after, and I agree with deanerandterry, that was because of all that followed, fingerpoke, horrid feuds with Sting, Steiner & Sid. Then of course, the utterly assanine heel turn.

I have to strongly disagree that the loss against HHH didn't hurt Goldberg. Yes HHH used the sledgehammer, but see in my eyes, in a NO dq match, it really doesen't matter, like JR would say, that sledgehammer was legal as a headlock, really no different from using the chamber as a weapon really. I, and I believe many other fans saw it that way. Otherwise, the ratings wouldnt've teetered off like they did, and the buys were abissmal. HHH did put over Goldberg in the next two PPV's, although watching the Unforgiven match, it didn't put Goldberg over strong at all. I will agree that the Survivor Series match was booked a little better making Goldberg look like a monster.

However, that's only two PPV's in a row. You conviniently left out the third one, where Hunter won it back. Goldberg had plenty of mystique to him, and more or less ruined him out of the gate. What made Goldberg famous?? Squahses!! There were hardly any, the competitive matches with guys like Christian & Jericho were vital and needed to happen. I think with the Rock on the way out, he should've squashed him like a bug, but the match wasn't designed that way, and it was, just another wrestling match that Goldberg happend to win.

I can easily say Goldberg's biggest loss with Starrcade 98 when his undefeated streak came to an end and he lost his World Heavyweight Title to Kevin Nash. Didn't Kevin Nash as a booker book himself to go over Goldberg? After that Goldberg wasn't booked the same anymore and he wasn't used properly. However IMO I think that Godlber's biggest loss came at Starrcade 99. Not so much because he lost in a "screw job" but because he ended the career of Bret Hart one of the best wrestlers of all time. For me Goldberg's biggest loss was also wrestling's and it's fans biggest loss Bret Hart.

The thing is about the streak ending, it had to happen sometime. I ranted on this last night, but the thing simply was that WCW booked themselves into a corner. Sometime Goldberg had to lose and by making him this super warrior, it was just inflating the bubble at such a huge level that the pop would blow away everything they had built up. With the loss in the Chamber, he still got the title a month later. If I remember correctly, the Chamber was put in because HHH was hurt and if you watch the match, he's active for about four minutes or less. That's fine, as he healed and jobbed to Goldberg soon after. That's completely understandable as injuries happen. The thing there though is taht at the end of the day, GOldberg got the reign that he needed, despite it being for 2-3 months and completely forgettable.

That's why the WCW case was worse: the ending was wrong. The face has to win for awhile, and the heel can't win in the end. That's what happened to Goldberg in 98/99: the heels kept winning. In WWE, Goldberg at least stopped HHH towarrds the end of the feud and then handed him off to Benoit for a real title reign by a face. 98 more or less ended a company's credibility and it was all due to their own greed. 03 was bad, but it wasn't horrible. That sums up things as well as I can do.

However, that's only two PPV's in a row. You conviniently left out the third one, where Hunter won it back. Goldberg had plenty of mystique to him, and more or less ruined him out of the gate. What made Goldberg famous?? Squahses!! There were hardly any, the competitive matches with guys like Christian & Jericho were vital and needed to happen. I think with the Rock on the way out, he should've squashed him like a bug, but the match wasn't designed that way, and it was, just another wrestling match that Goldberg happend to win.

I didn't mean to leave out Armageddon '03. I think Triple H's win played to the type of heel he was at the time. I'm not too sure on this, but I think Batista interfered in the triple threat invloving Kane. So I didn't mention Armageddon because I don't think that loss really hurt him. With Kane invloved, it gave Goldberg a strong adversary, so with him losing the belt,it wouldn't seem so bad. What I keep trying to say about the match at Summerslam, is that Goldberg went out there, and destroyed Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels, two well established wrestlers in the buisness. He would've had more mystique if he'd won that match, than the one at Armageddon. I didn't know Triple H was injured going into the chamber. Thanks for letting me know KB. So that explains why he wasn't too active in that match.

gotta be his loss to totally buff, that itself is embarassing, he lost to a fucking poser who dances and a gullable air head who is the worst overseller ever, that not only ended goldbergs wcw career, it ended the last time i took goldberg serious, at least with nash he lost to a legit big name, at there biggest pay per view, in a legit big match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back