• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

God Bless the Republicans - And I Doubt He Will

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Have to love our self-appointed morality police, our Republicans. Here's another fine example of how petty they are.

House Republicans have blocked a bill, six years in the making, aimed at preventing child marriage worldwide. According to reproductive rights blog RH Reality Check, “[a]n estimated 60 million girls in developing countries now ages 20 to 24 were married before they reached the age of 18. The Population Council estimates that the number will increase by 100 million over the next decade if current trends continue.”

The bill, which contains no new funding (it’s crafted to make better use of existing international assistance), passed unanimously in the Senate.

What killed it in the House? Anti-choice lies, of course—namely, “concerns that … efforts to combat child marriage could be usurped as a way to overturn pro-life laws,” according to a “whip alert” sent out by Senate Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA).

What Republicans are saying with their vote is that it’s better to force little girls (who have already been forced into marriage, and forced into having sex) into bearing children before their bodies are equipped to do so, than risk the possibility that a single one of them could get an abortion. And, fact check: The bill merely requires that the president and the State Department make child marriage a core part of American international development strategy; it does not allow US funding for abortions.
http://www.publicola.net/2010/12/17...uding-reichert-kill-anti-child-marriage-bill/

And just because I originally read this story on Slashdot and I read a post which cracked me up, I had to post it here:

Being 'against everything the left like' is a pretty goddamn shitty political position.

OTOH, it actually is the Republican position. Just the other day, they were against a bill to attempt to reduce 'child marriage' around the world. ('Child marriage' actually means 40 year old men purchasing 13 year old girls from their parents, 'marrying' them, and then, when their female children are old enough, selling them off to other men.)

A simple bill that uses already existing US development programs to help break the cycle of abuse by simply attempting to educate women, and requires countries that get our aid to explain the status of this practice in them, and was only $108 million dollars. (To compare, we just passed a $858 billion tax cut extension, which is, oh, 800,000x more. The damn 'bridge to nowhere' was $223 million.)

The joke used to be that the Democrats should come out against raping children, and see what the Republicans do. Horrifically, twp weeks ago, they did, and the Republicans, indeed, came in favor of it. Or at least not against it.

http://politics.slashdot.org/story/10/12/28/1441255/The-Rights-War-On-Net-Neutrality?from=rss

Funny stuff. Well, if you can get past the fact too many Republicans are a bunch of bastards.

Ok, this the perfect scenario to ask this question. If the public (or a handful of voting, diligent citizens) are truly bothered by the Republicans recent actions, is there any swift action that can be taken against the Reps?

Ok, this the perfect scenario to ask this question. If the public (or a handful of voting, diligent citizens) are truly bothered by the Republicans recent actions, is there any swift action that can be taken against the Reps?

Voting Obama back in office in 2012.

As far as a swift action, not really. The worst part about it is that the country for the most part isn't educated on the details of the majority of this and since the Dems are cowards for the most part they never come out against the GOP and call them out on their bullshit. With Boehner coming into the Speaker's spot next year, the next two years could be very rough indeed.

Republicans, Democrats, it's all the same bullshit, they're both just as worthless as the other.

as are these debates

Pretty much. Here's your basic political thread in the spam zone on WZ:

KB/Sly posts a thread shitting on Republicans
Everyone trips over themselves agreeing with each other
Nothing of value is gained

I miss FTS. Atleast when he was here these threads would stir up some actual debate. We need an outspoken conservative to take his place.

Pretty much. Here's your basic political thread in the spam zone on WZ:

KB/Sly posts a thread shitting on Republicans
Everyone trips over themselves agreeing with each other
Nothing of value is gained

I miss FTS. Atleast when he was here these threads would stir up some actual debate. We need an outspoken conservative to take his place.

Aye, regardless of how downright cartoonish some of his arguments became

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back