General Anime Discussion Thread

i dont watch too much anime but i do read alot of manga and my fav so far is hikaru no go i am currently on the 5th book and loving it but as far as anime goes i have to say cowboy bebop was my fav because it had futuristic violence which i love

I'm currently watching Code Geass. An anime that's for storyline fans rather than action. It has one of the best story's in anime history imo. I loved the Lelouch character. It blends the line of villian and hero perfectly. Nobody was ever white and black; it was all grey. It takes the perfect turn of the protagonist becoming a hero than the villian and ultimately was seen as a hero again. One of my favorite anime of all time.

I recently finished re-watching the Imperfect Cell Saga of Dragon Ball Z . It's interesting when looking back as to where they would end up in the near future.

Going into this saga, the Androids (#17, #18 & #16) are the main antagonists, Goku is still immobilised by the heart disease that would kill him in Future Trunks' time-line, Vegeta has been humiliated, Piccolo wants to 'fuse' with Kami & everyone else is chilling out at Roshi's place whilst Future Trunks & Gohan discover a time machine that is exactly like Trunks'. Actually scratch that, it IS Trunks'; just from a different time. They discover an egg shell of sorts nearby and then the shed skin of a disgusting looking creature. What could it be?

Anyway, the long awaited of Piccolo & Kami fusion does occur after Kami reveals that something more powerful than the Androids is lurking on Earth. Anyway, after a tearful goodbye to Mr. Popo (okay, only Popo cries, but still), Piccolo & Kami fuse to become Pami or Kiccolo. Actually he declares himself as 'The Namek Who has Long Since Forgotten His Name'. But we'll continue to call him Piccolo because he still talks, acts and looks like Piccolo (Also it's shorter & he would later insist on being called Piccolo anyway).

So Piccolo goes off to confront the horrifying evil. Anyway, he begins calling himself the Super Namek at this point (Lord Slug is rolling in his grave) so he must be powerful. Well he is, he's in fact he's just as powerful as Android #17. But what strange powers does the horrific creature hold? Well as it turns out, his Chi is incredibly similar to Goku, Freeza, King Cold, Vegeta, Gohan & even Piccolo. What does this mean? Well, it turns out his name is Cell and he's from the future. But why has he come back in time? He wants to absorb Androids #17 & #18 to achieve his Perfect form.

And that's the set-up for this and the next few Sagas. Cell runs around absorbing people and the Z Warriors hunt him down in a horror movie like manner as the monster manages to escape each and every time. Meanwhile Goku awakens and takes Gohan to train with him in 'The Room of Time & Spirit' (or The Hyperbolic Time Chamber depending on what you're watching/reading) but also tells Vegeta & Trunks to train (they actually go first too). Meanwhile, the Androids have tracked Goku down to Roshi's island, except Goku isn't there and thus a fight between Piccolo & Android #17 breaks out.

[YOUTUBE]AjoeGWTAKZw[/YOUTUBE]​

Cell arrives on the scene whilst the fight is in progress. Piccolo attempts to warn the Androids who, of course, instead of listening to him decide to be all high & mighty. Piccolo's attempts are crushed once again but this time by Cell who has managed to become more powerful than Piccolo due to him absorbing so many humans.

[YOUTUBE]VGuvrPGHMik&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
(Note: Despite the Title, Piccolo DOES NOT DIE!)​

This calls Android #16 into action/ #16 was the wildcard in the situation as he wasn't a part of Trunks' time-line, which the Z Warriors had been relying on as a reference point for their own time-line. He didn't talk much and was seemingly focused on a singular goal of killing Goku. If there was a movie of this saga, he would be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Cell & #16 are pretty much even but thanks to the element of surprise, #16 seems to beat Cell. However, whilst Android #17 is bragging about being unbeatable, Cell pulls out the oldest horror book cliché, the monster ISN'T DEAD! Far from it, he's just pissed off and it allows him to absorb #17 to become Semi-Perfect Cell, thus beginning the Perfect Cell Saga.

[YOUTUBE]g9UjyiTindQ[/YOUTUBE]​

This saga is all about the end of the Androids reign of terror and the beginning of Cell's. Like Freeza before him, Cell is the big bad of the whole arc (Trunks Saga-Cell Games Saga) and this is only the start of his horror. Cell was far from done and the worst was yet to come.

The Future Trunks - Imperfect Cell sagas are an excellent example of the long-established "there is always a bigger bad" theory of storytelling - something that the entire Dragonball series, manga and anime, does so well.

Even the poorly received DBGT did a decent job of this with the progressions of Lord Luud > General Rilldo > Baby Vegeta and the early Evil Dragons > Nuova and Eis Shenron > Syn Shenron > Omega Shenron. Personally, I thought that the Baby and Evil Dragon arcs had great potential that was not quite realised. I would have loved to see these same stories developed by Toriyama (we would have seen adult Gotenks for sure).

I loved the Piccolo-Cell confrontation and the fight between Super Piccolo and Android 17 was fantastic. The drama would continue with with Tien against Semi-Perfect Cell, briefly subduing him with repeated Tri beam blasts despite being horrifically over-matched. Forget almost anything that Goku did, Tien's stand is up there with Vegeta's sacrifice against Majin Buu as the most heroic moments of DBZ.

I'm currently watching Code Geass. An anime that's for storyline fans rather than action. It has one of the best story's in anime history imo. I loved the Lelouch character. It blends the line of villian and hero perfectly. Nobody was ever white and black; it was all grey. It takes the perfect turn of the protagonist becoming a hero than the villian and ultimately was seen as a hero again. One of my favorite anime of all time.

I have been meaning to watch Code Geass for a while now because I am a big fan of Johnny Bosch and all of his works but I have never been able to find an English dubbed version of it on any of my torrent sites.

I recently finished watching the original Full Metal Alchemist and I have to say that up until about halfway through the series I was fairly bored with the show and felt that it was severely overrated but after that I just got sucked into it and ended up watching the last 10-12 episodes in one night because I was so hooked on it. Once the story became more compelling and they focused on the ultimate storyline with the hommunculi and the philosophers stone. I really started to feel for the guys and when an anime manages to get me to care about the characters instead of just watching saying "oh that was a cool explosion but I really don't care that this random character was killed despite the intense buildup that occurred."

Since FMA has now been finished I have moved on to Deathnote and it is a fairly different series and I dig the lack of action for once as this dialog driven show is rather entertaining and smart without the need for mindless explosions or crazy things of that nature. Perhaps it is just me growing up but I haven't been able to enjoy the mindless visually amazing explosions and violence of Dragonball Z as I used to. The cookie cutter plots about bad guy x being more powerful than Goku and the gang and causing them to train to beat them before the Earth is destroyed and somehow magically powering up to a new level all to save the day and eat a miraculous amount of food without ever having to take a mega saiyan dump.

I recently finished watching the Imperfect Cell Saga of Dragon Ball Z .

Dragonball Z is my most favorite anime series of all time. I am currently re-watching every single episode from beginning to end. I began with Dragonball (the original) around mid-August and I am still bearly like on episode 60 something. I plan to watch all the way until GT movie "A hero's Legacy".

I have always loved the Dragonball series (DB, DBZ, DBGT) because not only was it the first anime I ever started watching, I loved all the fighting that is showed. On top of that the comedy they do is really funny (especially in Dragonball).

Goku is by far, the strongest anime character that was ever created. There is no way that someone like Ichigo or Aizen (Bleach), Naruto or Madara (Shippuden) could stand a chance against Goku SS4.

With that said, I didn't like GT so much as I think it ruined a lot of the "credibility" Dragonball and Dragonball Z built. Gohan became a nerd. Krillin got old. Piccolo was weak as fuck. Goten was too interested in girls to give a damn. Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu disappeared from the face of the Earth. The only real fighters were Goku, Pan, Vegeta, Trunks, and Uub. There is nothing like the original "Z fighters" that I grew to love.

Anyways, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents in by saying I absolutely love Dragonball Z.

Dragonball Z is my most favorite anime series of all time. I am currently re-watching every single episode from beginning to end. I began with Dragonball (the original) around mid-August and I am still bearly like on episode 60 something. I plan to watch all the way until GT movie "A hero's Legacy".

I have always loved the Dragonball series (DB, DBZ, DBGT) because not only was it the first anime I ever started watching, I loved all the fighting that is showed. On top of that the comedy they do is really funny (especially in Dragonball).

Goku is by far, the strongest anime character that was ever created. There is no way that someone like Ichigo or Aizen (Bleach), Naruto or Madara (Shippuden) could stand a chance against Goku SS4.

With that said, I didn't like GT so much as I think it ruined a lot of the "credibility" Dragonball and Dragonball Z built. Gohan became a nerd. Krillin got old. Piccolo was weak as fuck. Goten was too interested in girls to give a damn. Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu disappeared from the face of the Earth. The only real fighters were Goku, Pan, Vegeta, Trunks, and Uub. There is nothing like the original "Z fighters" that I grew to love.

Anyways, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents in by saying I absolutely love Dragonball Z.

I feel that if they had ended the DBZ series after the cell saga it would have been a much more effective Anime and generally better all around. Watch the last episode of it again, it was practically begging to be used as the last episode and could have shown that Goku moved on from being the sole person that could stop [insert evil bad guy here] and he could have just stayed in the afterlife as he was supposed to. The resulting sagas brought us some unbelievably horrible episodes that included turning Gohan from a complete badass to a pussy, nearly ruined my image of (future) Trunks who happens to be my favorite character from DBZ aside from teen gohan, and an unbelievable amount of extremely unimportant filler high school Gohan episodes that were painfully stupid and full of some of the most useless characters, even moreso than Hercule had been at that point. Sure the Majin Buu sagas brough us the fusions that we would have otherwise never seen, Vegito and Gotenks and then later on Gogeta, nor would we have seen the higher 2 levels of Super Saiyan but it would have made the story much more compelling had it simply ended with Gohan becoming the savior of Earth. All that we got from the true ending of DBZ was a cookie cutter "Goku saves the day again" ending and then a "Goku gets a student" tie in to get people to watch GT. Sure he has become the strongest Anime character of all time but Goku is unbelievably bipolar at times. Contrary to what some people believe there is a point where a character can become too powerful and can cause people to just lose interest in the story because it becomes too predictable such as happened to me with Inuyasha (how many fucking times do yo power up one sword and still not be able to defeat your ultimate enemy? honestly).

I feel that if they had ended the DBZ series after the cell saga it would have been a much more effective Anime and generally better all around. Watch the last episode of it again, it was practically begging to be used as the last episode and could have shown that Goku moved on from being the sole person that could stop [insert evil bad guy here] and he could have just stayed in the afterlife as he was supposed to. The resulting sagas brought us some unbelievably horrible episodes that included turning Gohan from a complete badass to a pussy, nearly ruined my image of (future) Trunks who happens to be my favorite character from DBZ aside from teen gohan, and an unbelievable amount of extremely unimportant filler high school Gohan episodes that were painfully stupid and full of some of the most useless characters, even moreso than Hercule had been at that point. Sure the Majin Buu sagas brough us the fusions that we would have otherwise never seen, Vegito and Gotenks and then later on Gogeta, nor would we have seen the higher 2 levels of Super Saiyan but it would have made the story much more compelling had it simply ended with Gohan becoming the savior of Earth. All that we got from the true ending of DBZ was a cookie cutter "Goku saves the day again" ending and then a "Goku gets a student" tie in to get people to watch GT. Sure he has become the strongest Anime character of all time but Goku is unbelievably bipolar at times. Contrary to what some people believe there is a point where a character can become too powerful and can cause people to just lose interest in the story because it becomes too predictable such as happened to me with Inuyasha (how many fucking times do yo power up one sword and still not be able to defeat your ultimate enemy? honestly).

I agree. I would have preferred it if Dragonball Z would have ended at the final episode where Future Trunks goes and defeats the Future Androids. I believe that would have been a great way to end the series. Gohan being left as the strongest character in all of Dragonball Z makes sense, since it was him that from the very first episode, Gohan always showed that he had some kind of hidden special power that would only come out when he or his friends were in "peril" Throughout the Sayian Saga, Namek Saga, Frieza Saga, Androids Saga, all the Cell Sagas, every single time he showed part of his hidden abilities forshadowed that something great were to happen about him in the future. And what was that? Super Saiyan 2. Besides that, like you said, it was the perfect time to end the series. Also, the fact that they weakend a lot of the original characters (Piccolo, Krillin, Tien) through the Buu Sagas is something I really didnt like. Im sorry I probably didnt explain what I am saying very well but I am sure you get the idea.

However, in my opinion, the series became more effective with the addition of the Buu Sagas. The reason is because with Buu, the DBZ characters reached a level of popularity that most anime characters could only dream of gaining. As the show proggressed the characters got incredibly stronger and to the same time, DBZ began to get known more and more throughout the world. Its like the Simpsons, had the show ended around lets say 1999, it wouldn't have reached the level of popularity it has gained to this day. Sure, the show isn't as good as it used to be (at least not in my opinion) but you can't deny the fact, that the more the show progressed, the more people that became aware of its presance. Dont get me wrong, I know DBZ's level of popularity was sky high by the time Cell Saga was out, but with the Buu Sagas the popularity of the show greatly increased.

I don't believe that Goku became too powerful however. I can understand what you ment about Inyuyasha but Goku was a different story. Goku was a "symbol". Goku was always the good guy and never had any negative emotions. In my honest opinion, he is the single most greatest anime character of all time. If you think about it, Goku has inspired many of the "heroes" of anime (manga) series that came after Dragonball Z. Characters such as Yusuke (Yuyuhakusho), Ichigo (Bleach), Naruto (Naruto)...I remember reading at one point or another that the Authors of these mangas had based their character on Goku and then adapted it to their own.

Though, undoubtedly, the die hard Dragonball fan in me resents what Akira did to his characters after the Cell Game Sagas (other than Goku). I also resent the creation of Dragonball GT. But in the end, it was all worth while as I still followed the show from begining to end and am starting to do it all over again as we speak.

On a sidenote, I don't like DBZKai very much...I think the voices (of the English version) suck.

I agree. I would have preferred it if Dragonball Z would have ended at the final episode where Future Trunks goes and defeats the Future Androids. I believe that would have been a great way to end the series. Gohan being left as the strongest character in all of Dragonball Z makes sense, since it was him that from the very first episode, Gohan always showed that he had some kind of hidden special power that would only come out when he or his friends were in "peril" Throughout the Sayian Saga, Namek Saga, Frieza Saga, Androids Saga, all the Cell Sagas, every single time he showed part of his hidden abilities forshadowed that something great were to happen about him in the future. And what was that? Super Saiyan 2. Besides that, like you said, it was the perfect time to end the series. Also, the fact that they weakend a lot of the original characters (Piccolo, Krillin, Tien) through the Buu Sagas is something I really didnt like. Im sorry I probably didnt explain what I am saying very well but I am sure you get the idea.

However, in my opinion, the series became more effective with the addition of the Buu Sagas. The reason is because with Buu, the DBZ characters reached a level of popularity that most anime characters could only dream of gaining. As the show proggressed the characters got incredibly stronger and to the same time, DBZ began to get known more and more throughout the world. Its like the Simpsons, had the show ended around lets say 1999, it wouldn't have reached the level of popularity it has gained to this day. Sure, the show isn't as good as it used to be (at least not in my opinion) but you can't deny the fact, that the more the show progressed, the more people that became aware of its presance. Dont get me wrong, I know DBZ's level of popularity was sky high by the time Cell Saga was out, but with the Buu Sagas the popularity of the show greatly increased.

I don't believe that Goku became too powerful however. I can understand what you ment about Inyuyasha but Goku was a different story. Goku was a "symbol". Goku was always the good guy and never had any negative emotions. In my honest opinion, he is the single most greatest anime character of all time. If you think about it, Goku has inspired many of the "heroes" of anime (manga) series that came after Dragonball Z. Characters such as Yusuke (Yuyuhakusho), Ichigo (Bleach), Naruto (Naruto)...I remember reading at one point or another that the Authors of these mangas had based their character on Goku and then adapted it to their own.

Though, undoubtedly, the die hard Dragonball fan in me resents what Akira did to his characters after the Cell Game Sagas (other than Goku). I also resent the creation of Dragonball GT. But in the end, it was all worth while as I still followed the show from begining to end and am starting to do it all over again as we speak.

On a sidenote, I don't like DBZKai very much...I think the voices (of the English version) suck.

I think the popularity that it had at the time depended on the age group that you were around when it first came on because I personally was in middle school at the time of the Buu sagas and very few people other than myself still watched it while countless others turned to mocking it. Not many people were like me, devote fan of DBZ from the very first episode til the very disappointing finale.

Akira bastardized a lot of characters after the Cell saga but some of them were already extremely weak before that and never seemed to get any stronger such as Krillin, Chiatzu (sp?), and Yamcha, they were all extremely useless in any of the fights after the Garlic Jr saga. Piccolo and Tien both had important parts throughout the Cell Saga and were portrayed as very strong up until Cell reached perfection but after that if you weren't a Saiyan then it seemed as if the writers didn't give a shit about them anymore since only the Saiyans had the super power to turn into the Aryan race and wreck house. The only non Saiyan good character that was built up to have strong power throughout the rest of the Dragonball series was Uub and even then he wasn't all that helpful and just was there to buy time until Goku came and saved the day once again. Once the writers hit the Super Saiyan 2 mark I think that they dug themselves into a hole that they couldn't build any human character up to be able to compete with them and they just became filler characters of little to no use.

While Goku has definitely paved the way for more interesting Anime heroes it was still painful to watch him become some super powerful entity that regardless of the situation always came out on top in the end by figuring out a new way of power or using the spirit bomb to do it for him. For how much King Kai hyped up the Spirit Bomb as the ultimate attack I find it funny that Goku was only able to kill 2 people with it as both Vegeta and Frieza somehow survived his ultimate test of strength.

I watched an anime series called STR.A.IN recently, and it was pretty awesome.

The series takes place in the future and in a space military. There are a few devisions of the military but what they mainly focus on is a devision called "The Reasoners".

The Reasoners are a group of specially trained soldiers all appearing to be in their teens in age (Ill address this later) whom have high tech Mechs called Str.a.ins, which is short for Strategic Armored Infantry. These are specially designed for a specific user whose brain cells have been taken from them from birth and added to their robot in some way(explained later) so that it can only interact with one person.

The main character is a female named Sara Werec. She enlisted in the military to follow her brother whom had entered a few years prior.

While Sara is training at an academy the school is attacked by the enemy of the Space Federation she belongs to whom are known as the Deague. She and her fellow students go to attack them when they find that the enemy also has a special Strain. The Strain attacks and kills her allies and destroys her Strain. Sara goes after the enemy and finds that it has landed next to a facility and the pilot is inside. Sara goes and follows them to find that the pilot is none other than her own brother, Ralph Werec. Her brother has found a girl inside of a shuttle and takes her into his ship, leaving her behind.

The story resumes at a later time when Sara is now on-board a military space ship. The ship is meant to further train Reasoners and a fleet of other mech pilots below them known as Gambees. The ship in which Sara is in moves at a speed known as "Sub Light Speed" which is beyond light speed. While moving at this speed time moves more slowly for those moving at the speed while time moves at an incredibly faster rate for everyone not moving at this speed. Several times in the series this is referenced as shown as some of the teen Strain pilots have friends from their childhood whom are much older, even one having a "younger brother" that is at least middle aged. As a matter of fact this is one of the reasons Sara joined the military, because she knew if she didnt she would never see her brother again as she would be long dead by the time he were to return home.

During SLS(Sub Light Speed) routines the space ship she is in is attacked by the Deague and Ralph whom is working for them. Many of Sara's colleagues are killed. Sara at this point has found that a mechanic on the ship has built a new Strain and she in her state of anguish attempts to fly it.

Now to note at this point Sara has developed an almost creepy relationship with a doll called a Mimic. Apparently these Mimics are what Strain pilots use to pilot their Strains, in some sort of brain synchronization. Now this being someone elses Mimic Sara is not supposed to be able to use it to pilot the Strain, however she somehow syncs with it and is able to. At this point she helps fend off her brother and save the ship.

It is later discovered that the reason she was able to sync with it is due to the mimic having inside it the brain of a member of an alien race. This alien race all shares a single consciousness and pretty much everything that a body experiences. Sara later discovers this and meets up with the only other of this race whom she had dubbed Emily. Emily in a twist of fate is in Ralph's care.

The story behind the race is that their ship crashed into a federation space station and the federation, knowing of their shared consciousness set out to dissect them to replicate it for universal communication. Only a few survived and the two whom are in the series were sent to the facilities in which they were found. As the federation members were traveling to their home planet with their research they were attacked by a ship from the alien race. In an attempt to save themselves they compiled evidence of the complex space battle ships which were attacking them. The evidence was used to create the Strains and moments later(and hundreds of years in the non SLS timeline) Ralph Werec arrived in his Strain, although it was too late to save his comrads.

Ralph destroyed the mechs but found they were the aliens comprising pilots. As he went to aid a dieing girl she transfered all of the information of the pain and experiences they had all felt to him, so that he could understand.

This presented issues however to those whom discovered this, as Ralph at the time he was attacking Sara's ship had yet to arrive at the ship being attacked by the aliens. It turns out the aliens had something known as the "Baxter Gate" inside of them, which could teleport between time and space. This is how he came to be where he had.

Eventually Sara and Ralph's stories converge and they meet in a final climactic battle, but I wont spoil the ending.

This was a good series, and at 13 episodes it covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time. The series is also filled with humor and levity and is generally fun. Its meant for a more mature audience however as it does feature nudity and violence so I wouldnt suggest it for younger audiences, but I will recommend it to those of age and those whom would enjoy a good story.

enterkey said:
I think the popularity that it had at the time depended on the age group that you were around when it first came on because I personally was in middle school at the time of the Buu sagas and very few people other than myself still watched it while countless others turned to mocking it. Not many people were like me, devote fan of DBZ from the very first episode til the very disappointing finale.

Well, to be fair, I was in elementary at the time, and everyone loved Dragonball Z. Even to this day, I have a good number of friends that still enjoy watching it. But still, you can't deny the fact that with the Buu Sagas, the series picked up a bunch of new viewers making it more power. If we go by what you said above, then DBZ basically "recycled" its viewers. It dropped some of its older viewers to bring in newer younger viewers kind of like WWE. And I believe DBZKai is doing the same thing.

Akira bastardized a lot of characters after the Cell saga but some of them were already extremely weak before that and never seemed to get any stronger such as Krillin, Chiatzu (sp?), and Yamcha, they were all extremely useless in any of the fights after the Garlic Jr saga. Piccolo and Tien both had important parts throughout the Cell Saga and were portrayed as very strong up until Cell reached perfection but after that if you weren't a Saiyan then it seemed as if the writers didn't give a shit about them anymore since only the Saiyans had the super power to turn into the Aryan race and wreck house. The only non Saiyan good character that was built up to have strong power throughout the rest of the Dragonball series was Uub and even then he wasn't all that helpful and just was there to buy time until Goku came and saved the day once again. Once the writers hit the Super Saiyan 2 mark I think that they dug themselves into a hole that they couldn't build any human character up to be able to compete with them and they just became filler characters of little to no use.

This is true. Super Saiyan was already a level far beyond human capacity and Super Sayian 2...well, humans could never compare. Though, I always had the feeling that Akira could have found a way to make the humans stronger. He had so many ideas that its a wonder of how far he went with his creative ability. Just look back to the very first episode of Dragonball (the original), Goku was a boy living in the woods and was found by Bulma. Afer an introduction they went off on a quest to find the seven Dragonballs. Who would have thought that roughly 35 years later, Goku would have 2 sons and be fighting against a pink monster sharing bodies with another guy (fusion). My point being, if Akira could come up with that, he could have found a way to make the other Z-fighters (especially Piccolo) alot stronger.

While Goku has definitely paved the way for more interesting Anime heroes it was still painful to watch him become some super powerful entity that regardless of the situation always came out on top in the end by figuring out a new way of power or using the spirit bomb to do it for him. For how much King Kai hyped up the Spirit Bomb as the ultimate attack I find it funny that Goku was only able to kill 2 people with it as both Vegeta and Frieza somehow survived his ultimate test of strength.

Haha something tells me you don't like John Cena. I think that was fine tho...for Goku to be stronger than any other character (in DBZ or any other series) could ever reach. I rather liked it. Goku will go down in history as the "strongest" anime character that was ever created. As for the Spirit Bomb...to be fair the Spirit Bomb against Vegeta was very small and didnt have too much any energy gathered. In Namek, their wasn't much energy left around considering Frieza and his men had destroyed all life. When Goku used the Spirit Bomb agains Buu, he had the entire Earth lend their energy. For Omega Shenron, he had a good part of the entire Universe.

Well, to be fair, I was in elementary at the time, and everyone loved Dragonball Z. Even to this day, I have a good number of friends that still enjoy watching it. But still, you can't deny the fact that with the Buu Sagas, the series picked up a bunch of new viewers making it more power. If we go by what you said above, then DBZ basically "recycled" its viewers. It dropped some of its older viewers to bring in newer younger viewers kind of like WWE. And I believe DBZKai is doing the same thing.
It is easy to pick up new viewers because there is no deep plot to the whole thing, anyone that watches it can figure it out without any problem. Goku = good, guy against Goku = bad, explosions = awesome, Goku training for a dozen episodes and filler = necessary to watch to see if Goku does anything new that could be used against the said guy that is against him. This is why a majority of the new viewers are young kids that have never seen anything like it in the past and they are oblivious to the lack of story throughout the entire thing because to them all that they generally need is a basic outline of good vs evil with no curveballs thrown in. Although it may appear that DBZ Kai is gaining a lot of viewers it is extremely possible that it is because there has been a big 5-6 years since the end of GT and aside from the half assed attempt to rerun the original DBZ on Cartoon Network, which seemed to fail fairly easily, there hasn't been much of a chance to gain new viewers. This new show has a whole other generation of kids to suck into watching and loving it simply because they have no ties to the original and would have no idea how different it is such as the voices, story, cutting of the massive filler episodes (only good thing they have done with the series). These changes have caused a vast majority of the old fans to stay away from it because some of us feel it is unnecessary to retell the story, hate the changes to it because of nostalgic purposes, or were already so turned off by the way the original series went that they would not even bother watching it to begin with. This new generation is a way to skew the stats to make it seem like they truly are gaining a ton of fans when it would be inevitable for it to happen because kids will always go crazy for the same things.

This is true. Super Saiyan was already a level far beyond human capacity and Super Sayian 2...well, humans could never compare. Though, I always had the feeling that Akira could have found a way to make the humans stronger. He had so many ideas that its a wonder of how far he went with his creative ability. Just look back to the very first episode of Dragonball (the original), Goku was a boy living in the woods and was found by Bulma. Afer an introduction they went off on a quest to find the seven Dragonballs. Who would have thought that roughly 35 years later, Goku would have 2 sons and be fighting against a pink monster sharing bodies with another guy (fusion). My point being, if Akira could come up with that, he could have found a way to make the other Z-fighters (especially Piccolo) alot stronger.
With the inception of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber you would think that the Z Warriors would have all used it at some point to try to become stronger, to make Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, and Chiatzu much more relevant to the story instead of being turned into jobbers and comedy fodder. Piccolo did use the chamber to become quite powerful but after they wasted his fusion with Kami he didn't really have much potential left in him to compete with the upper level Super Saiyans. It is without a doubt lazy writing that was probably thrown in as a way to make sure that they could keep making insanely strong villains until the only relevant character in the entire series was Goku. Even Vegeta was turned into nothing more than a jobber during GT, sure he was turned into the first insanely strong bad guy but that was a device used to make Goku go to an even higher level of Super Saiyan and break out of his kid self for a couple of minutes an episode. After that Vegeta jobbed out to all of the other villains until he used Bulma to become Super Saiyan 4, fused with Goku, and then jobbed out again when the fusion failed to defeat Omega.

Haha something tells me you don't like John Cena. I think that was fine tho...for Goku to be stronger than any other character (in DBZ or any other series) could ever reach. I rather liked it. Goku will go down in history as the "strongest" anime character that was ever created. As for the Spirit Bomb...to be fair the Spirit Bomb against Vegeta was very small and didnt have too much any energy gathered. In Namek, their wasn't much energy left around considering Frieza and his men had destroyed all life. When Goku used the Spirit Bomb agains Buu, he had the entire Earth lend their energy. For Omega Shenron, he had a good part of the entire Universe.

Sure I liked Goku becoming the strongest Anime character at the time but in the past 6 years I have done a lot of growing with Animes and watched several dozen of them and the Dragonball series just doesn't cut it anymore. The ultimate character feel of Goku just destroyed any sort of drama that was going on throughout them and there was never a time when you could really feel like he wouldn't come out on top in the end. I used to be a John Cena fan but he fell the way of Goku in my eyes and is no longer able to entertain me while the much more interesting characters get shat on and reduced to next to thing. I understand that both of them lost a great deal of energy, I am just saying that I find it funny that an attack of such ultimate levels to only kill 2 characters since it was taught to the ultimate good guy in the series and even then it took Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan again and using an energy blast on top of the SB to take Buu down though I don't remember exactly how Omega got taken down as I only saw that episode once.

One of the things I absolutely loved about the Androids/Cell storyline is that Goku is only the strongest going into it. Goku starts out as the strongest, before losing that honour to Vegeta, Piccolo, Cell, Trunks &, in the end, Gohan. Sure Goku does save the Earth, but it's only by using a technique no one else knew, and of course, it was all in vein (Cell Returned). And again, Goku only helps his son in the end; he doesn't actually deliver the killing blow. It's only after Vegeta assists them that Gohan & Goku's Kamehameha wins the power struggle with Cell.

It's also fair to point out that the series was supposed to end twice prior to it's actual ending with both the Freeza Saga & The Cell Games storyline supposed to end Dragon Ball. It's obvious too. Goku takes his place as the strongest in the universe come the end of the Freeza story and at he end of the cell games, Goku is dead and his son has filled the vacancy. With Future Trunks also involved in the Android storyline, there's a fitting conclusion in the fact that Earth has a defender of the Past (in Goku), of the Present (in Gohan) and in the Future (in Trunks). Of course neither ended the series with Toriyama being forced to come back.

One of the things I absolutely loved about the Androids/Cell storyline is that Goku is only the strongest going into it. Goku starts out as the strongest, before losing that honour to Vegeta, Piccolo, Cell, Trunks &, in the end, Gohan. Sure Goku does save the Earth, but it's only by using a technique no one else knew, and of course, it was all in vein (Cell Returned). And again, Goku only helps his son in the end; he doesn't actually deliver the killing blow. It's only after Vegeta assists them that Gohan & Goku's Kamehameha wins the power struggle with Cell.

It was the only only part of the series where you truly didn't know if Goku would come out on top and nobody ever expected him to throw his fight with Cell and put Gohan in his place. The power shift in these sagas were much greater than that in the Freeza sagas as it was always a neck and neck contest between Vegeta and Freezas men, Vegeta and Freeza, Goku and Freeza, and the only character that noticeably surpassed Vegeta or Goku for a time was Piccolo and that was when Goku was recovering. The androids brought a feeling of dread to the table since we already saw what they did to Trunks' world and knew that it was extremely likely to repeat itself if they did not step up to the plate and train and even after that they were defeated like they were nothing. It wasn't until the time chamber that the tide of the battle seemed to change and even after that Perfect Cell decimated everyone but Gohan. Great storytelling if you ask me on this third of the story.

It's also fair to point out that the series was supposed to end twice prior to it's actual ending with both the Freeza Saga & The Cell Games storyline supposed to end Dragon Ball. It's obvious too. Goku takes his place as the strongest in the universe come the end of the Freeza story and at he end of the cell games, Goku is dead and his son has filled the vacancy. With Future Trunks also involved in the Android storyline, there's a fitting conclusion in the fact that Earth has a defender of the Past (in Goku), of the Present (in Gohan) and in the Future (in Trunks). Of course neither ended the series with Toriyama being forced to come back.

While the Freeza ending could have worked I don't think it would have been as much of a phenomenon if it had ended with Goku dead or alive drifting throughout space while his friends and loved ones are forced to live without him, sure it would have been a bittersweet ending with Goku defeating Freeza but at that point Earth wasn't ready for Goku to be gone and didn't have a viable protector left since Vegeta was still a bad guy/borderline tweener, Piccolo had Kami as a weakness, and Gohan's inner power hadn't been realized. The Cell finish was much more worthy of being the end as it concluded the story about Gohan's inner power, gave a heroic end to Goku without the need to have him come out on top, finally brought humanity to the character of Vegeta, Piccolo was whole once again, Trunks was now strong enough to defeat his androids and become the protector of his time, and Gohan was appointed the new savior of Earth to follow in his father's footsteps. If that had happened a vast majority of the fans would still be fans of it and probably support Kai and there would have been much less bastardization of the characters.

enterkey said:
It is easy to pick up new viewers because there is no deep plot to the whole thing, anyone that watches it can figure it out without any problem. Goku = good, guy against Goku = bad, explosions = awesome, Goku training for a dozen episodes and filler = necessary to watch to see if Goku does anything new that could be used against the said guy that is against him. This is why a majority of the new viewers are young kids that have never seen anything like it in the past and they are oblivious to the lack of story throughout the entire thing because to them all that they generally need is a basic outline of good vs evil with no curveballs thrown in. Although it may appear that DBZ Kai is gaining a lot of viewers it is extremely possible that it is because there has been a big 5-6 years since the end of GT and aside from the half assed attempt to rerun the original DBZ on Cartoon Network, which seemed to fail fairly easily, there hasn't been much of a chance to gain new viewers. This new show has a whole other generation of kids to suck into watching and loving it simply because they have no ties to the original and would have no idea how different it is such as the voices, story, cutting of the massive filler episodes (only good thing they have done with the series). These changes have caused a vast majority of the old fans to stay away from it because some of us feel it is unnecessary to retell the story, hate the changes to it because of nostalgic purposes, or were already so turned off by the way the original series went that they would not even bother watching it to begin with. This new generation is a way to skew the stats to make it seem like they truly are gaining a ton of fans when it would be inevitable for it to happen because kids will always go crazy for the same things.

Indeed. Though, I just wish it wasn't so pathetic. The voices suck. The lines the characters speak throughout the story suck. Hell, the show entirely sucks. I get what is being done by reviving Dragonball Z (introducing the story to a new generation of fans) but I just wish they didn't do such a pathetic job about it. I have watched Kai numerous of times but for some reason I just find myself fast forwarding (DVR) through some scenes because of how poor the quality is. On that note, I think its a good idea that they are re-doing the show, but it just lacks the luster the original Dragonball Z had. Then again, so does GT.

With the inception of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber you would think that the Z Warriors would have all used it at some point to try to become stronger, to make Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, and Chiatzu much more relevant to the story instead of being turned into jobbers and comedy fodder. Piccolo did use the chamber to become quite powerful but after they wasted his fusion with Kami he didn't really have much potential left in him to compete with the upper level Super Saiyans. It is without a doubt lazy writing that was probably thrown in as a way to make sure that they could keep making insanely strong villains until the only relevant character in the entire series was Goku. Even Vegeta was turned into nothing more than a jobber during GT, sure he was turned into the first insanely strong bad guy but that was a device used to make Goku go to an even higher level of Super Saiyan and break out of his kid self for a couple of minutes an episode. After that Vegeta jobbed out to all of the other villains until he used Bulma to become Super Saiyan 4, fused with Goku, and then jobbed out again when the fusion failed to defeat Omega.

Yes. That is exactly what I have been thinking this entire time. In the end, everyone was weakend far too much and I resent that so much. Gohan, who was originally thought to be one of the strongest characters in the series was reduced to a nerd by the end of GT and it even took someone like Pan to save him in the end (against General Rildo(?) in the Super Android 17 Saga). Yamcha was no where to be seen in GT. Same goes for Tien and Chiaotzu. Piccolo ended up in hell. I could go on, but you adressed most of it. I really despise what became of the Dragonball series when GT came as it damaged a great amount of "credibility" it had gained throughout the years in establishing its characters.

Sure I liked Goku becoming the strongest Anime character at the time but in the past 6 years I have done a lot of growing with Animes and watched several dozen of them and the Dragonball series just doesn't cut it anymore. The ultimate character feel of Goku just destroyed any sort of drama that was going on throughout them and there was never a time when you could really feel like he wouldn't come out on top in the end. I used to be a John Cena fan but he fell the way of Goku in my eyes and is no longer able to entertain me while the much more interesting characters get shat on and reduced to next to thing. I understand that both of them lost a great deal of energy, I am just saying that I find it funny that an attack of such ultimate levels to only kill 2 characters since it was taught to the ultimate good guy in the series and even then it took Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan again and using an energy blast on top of the SB to take Buu down though I don't remember exactly how Omega got taken down as I only saw that episode once.

It would make sense how you would have this opinion on Goku as you have been experienced to new "heroes" with a much more complicated "story" (not exactly the right word but close enough) behind them. On that note, I have as well. Light Yagami, Ichigo, Yusuke, etc etc have all had more of a in-depth story in them which made them more "complicated". However, Goku was the "original". In the US, we werent introduced to Goku until late 90's but really Goku was a creation from the 80's. Now I know, judging by our ages, we did not experience those times. But in those times, "storylines" when it came to TV series were a heck of alot more simpler. If you think about it, almost every single show from back then was basically Good guy always wins.

When you compare a show like Dragonball Z to a show like Death Note, you can obviously see the difference. Death Note has a more complicated storyline and in that show, the end is tragic rather than the simple ending DBZ had. The key difference in this is the "time period" in which theses two shows were created. Nowadays, most TV watchers don't like to watch simple storylines. We want to see twists, things that we would never expect to happen happen. And to some, DBZ quite doesn't cut it considering its simple storyline of "Bad guy comes, Good Guy trains, Good Guy wins". Even still, Dragonball Z was "original" and I don't think any show has come that close to pull off simple storylines as well as it did. You can't deny it. Although the characters were "murdered" the plot (excluding a few sub plots) was very entertaining.

In my mind, Dragonball Z will always be "the original" and no series that came or will come after it can compare to the level of greatness DBZ achieved. Even if the storylines were simple, DBZ did a heck of a job making it entertaining (with the exception of weakening most of its characters)

On the SB note, On the final episode of GT, Goku gathered all the energy from everyone that he ever met throughout the entire series making a SB filled with energy from people all throughout the Universe. Thus, which became known as the strongest technique in the entire Dragonball series

enterkey said:
Funkay said:

While the Freeza ending could have worked I don't think it would have been as much of a phenomenon if it had ended with Goku dead or alive drifting throughout space while his friends and loved ones are forced to live without him, sure it would have been a bittersweet ending with Goku defeating Freeza but at that point Earth wasn't ready for Goku to be gone and didn't have a viable protector left since Vegeta was still a bad guy/borderline tweener, Piccolo had Kami as a weakness, and Gohan's inner power hadn't been realized. The Cell finish was much more worthy of being the end as it concluded the story about Gohan's inner power, gave a heroic end to Goku without the need to have him come out on top, finally brought humanity to the character of Vegeta, Piccolo was whole once again, Trunks was now strong enough to defeat his androids and become the protector of his time, and Gohan was appointed the new savior of Earth to follow in his father's footsteps. If that had happened a vast majority of the fans would still be fans of it and probably support Kai and there would have been much less bastardization of the characters.

For the most part, I agree with enterkey. The "end" during the Cell games Saga was much more worthy than the ending created after the Frieza Saga. The main reason I feel this way (other than what enterkey said) is because Gohan's hidden ability hadn't been revealed yet. Throughout the entire Dragonball Z series until the ned of the Cell Saga, there was always "hype" to the forthcoming of the release of Gohan's hidden potential. When he fought against Cell, it turned out his hidden abilities reached him to the level of Super Saiyan 2. In the end of the Cell Saga, Goku died peacefully, Gohan had the torch passed down to him, Trunks was able to defeat his Androids, Piccolo had re-fused with Kami, Krillin finally had a girlfriend, Yamcha was still a dumb bitch. Basically, all built up storylines had been completed.

To me, its as if, the Buu Sagas should have been a different series as it started new storylines and new hypes.

However, I don't really think the "cutting Dragonball Z short" would have worked well for Kai. Like I stated before, Dragonball Z's popularity grew much more bigger with the addition of the Buu Sagas. Thus, it inspired the addition of Dragonball Z Kai--the redun series. You see enkey, nothing against you man--I think your "legit"(you know your DBZ stuff and you deserve a "rep" for that), but what you fail to understand is that while in the US, everything was done a small peiod of time...

Throughout the entire world (especially in Japan) the gap between Kai and the original story is a lot longer. Dragonball Z ended in Japan around 1990. Dragonball Z Kai wasn't introduced until 2009. Now when the question "Why was Kai made in the first place?" is asked, the simple answer is the level of popularity it achieved throughout the number of years including the 2008 OVA, Dragonball Z was practically begging to be re-done. The only problem is, in my opinion, they aren't doing a good job about it.

For the most part, I agree with enterkey. The "end" during the Cell games Saga was much more worthy than the ending created after the Frieza Saga. The main reason I feel this way (other than what enterkey said) is because Gohan's hidden ability hadn't been revealed yet. Throughout the entire Dragonball Z series until the ned of the Cell Saga, there was always "hype" to the forthcoming of the release of Gohan's hidden potential. When he fought against Cell, it turned out his hidden abilities reached him to the level of Super Saiyan 2. In the end of the Cell Saga, Goku died peacefully, Gohan had the torch passed down to him, Trunks was able to defeat his Androids, Piccolo had re-fused with Kami, Krillin finally had a girlfriend, Yamcha was still a dumb bitch. Basically, all built up storylines had been completed.

To me, its as if, the Buu Sagas should have been a different series as it started new storylines and new hypes.

However, I don't really think the "cutting Dragonball Z short" would have worked well for Kai. Like I stated before, Dragonball Z's popularity grew much more bigger with the addition of the Buu Sagas. Thus, it inspired the addition of Dragonball Z Kai--the redun series. You see enkey, nothing against you man--I think your "legit"(you know your DBZ stuff and you deserve a "rep" for that), but what you fail to understand is that while in the US, everything was done a small peiod of time...

Throughout the entire world (especially in Japan) the gap between Kai and the original story is a lot longer. Dragonball Z ended in Japan around 1990. Dragonball Z Kai wasn't introduced until 2009. Now when the question "Why was Kai made in the first place?" is asked, the simple answer is the level of popularity it achieved throughout the number of years including the 2008 OVA, Dragonball Z was practically begging to be re-done. The only problem is, in my opinion, they aren't doing a good job about it.

You have a compelling argument that the Buu saga helped to gain a lot of fans but at the same time there are a vast amount of animes out there such as Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc. that have become ridiculously popular with a show that relied on a compelling story that was able to get told in roughly 25-26 eps without becoming stale or selling out. If the series had ended at the point in time that I've been talking about then it would have kept that compelling feel that it had without falling into the sell out "lets just add on another storyline to this because it's a giant cash cow and the little kids need their Goku fix" and that compelling feel to it could have thrust it into the area of all of the other anime series that hardcore anime fans would most likely call the "legit" animes. They could have easily turned the Buu storyline into a set of movies that would have extended the story and would not have necessarily needed to be canon with the rest of the story, a majority of the original movies that they created for DBZ have been. There is a bit of a balance that all animes have to work on between the amount of story that they are willing to put into their show and how many episodes that they want to throw it out in. Most of them decide to make it short and sweet and that generally works and after time their popularity can shoot through the roof. I believe it is why every Gundam series aside from the original is around 50 episodes or less and a majority of the others tend to follow that trend as well while some of the giant shows such as Pokemon or the Dragonball franchise tends to just shell out whatever they think up while giving more emphasis on the action aspect of things and meaningless filler that somehow the audience will sit through without becoming tired of it. Oone of the problems I have with Bleach is that although they have an amazing story that is somehow a bit of a cross between DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho it relies too heavily on the use of filler episodes to fill the gaps between stories as I found myself skipping over almost everything in the filler episodes when I watched all the episodes of Bleach up to this point earlier in the year and those episodes nearly derailed me from watching the series.

enterkey said:
You have a compelling argument that the Buu saga helped to gain a lot of fans but at the same time there are a vast amount of animes out there such as Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc. that have become ridiculously popular with a show that relied on a compelling story that was able to get told in roughly 25-26 eps without becoming stale or selling out. If the series had ended at the point in time that I've been talking about then it would have kept that compelling feel that it had without falling into the sell out "lets just add on another storyline to this because it's a giant cash cow and the little kids need their Goku fix" and that compelling feel to it could have thrust it into the area of all of the other anime series that hardcore anime fans would most likely call the "legit" animes. They could have easily turned the Buu storyline into a set of movies that would have extended the story and would not have necessarily needed to be canon with the rest of the story, a majority of the original movies that they created for DBZ have been. There is a bit of a balance that all animes have to work on between the amount of story that they are willing to put into their show and how many episodes that they want to throw it out in. Most of them decide to make it short and sweet and that generally works and after time their popularity can shoot through the roof. I believe it is why every Gundam series aside from the original is around 50 episodes or less and a majority of the others tend to follow that trend as well while some of the giant shows such as Pokemon or the Dragonball franchise tends to just shell out whatever they think up while giving more emphasis on the action aspect of things and meaningless filler that somehow the audience will sit through without becoming tired of it.

Perfectly said. There is nothing I can do to counter-argue with the above because I agree with it 100%. The best I can do is add to it, but I feel it isn't necessary. With that said, I feel Pokemon has gotten very stale and I gave up on it when Advanced Battle came out. I havent watched it since.

Oone of the problems I have with Bleach is that although they have an amazing story that is somehow a bit of a cross between DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho it relies too heavily on the use of filler episodes to fill the gaps between stories as I found myself skipping over almost everything in the filler episodes when I watched all the episodes of Bleach up to this point earlier in the year and those episodes nearly derailed me from watching the series.

Yes I have the same problem with Bleach but I'll get to that in a bit. Regarding Yu Yu hakusho, I personally prefered the Anime (with fillers) rather than the manga. The manga got very boring around the sensui arc and I could practically fall asleep with everything that came afterwards. Part of it had to do with the drawings however. To me, it looked as if the creator (cant remember his name) was getting bored and he just did half-assed drawings.

The anime of Yu Yu hakusho, in my opinion, was a heck of a let better. The 3 Kings Saga looked more sophisticated. The mood of the show really got to me. When the Sensui Saga ended and it turned out that yusuke was a demon, I just had to watch what happend next. Yusuke looses his job as a spirit detective. Hiei fucks Mokuro. Kurama is re-united with Yomi etc etc. Sure, the manga showed the same thing but the mood and tone of the anime really got to me (I'm talking of the english version of course). The fight between Yusuke and Yomi in the end was very entertaining (even if it was kind of short). Yuske achieving Sensui's sacred energy was a twist I did not see coming.

Now Bleach. Yes I feel exactly like you man. I get sick and tired of the fillers that I just don't watch them. Unlike the fillers in other shows, I absolutely hate the fillers in Bleach. The story lines really aren't worth watching and they are really out of place. For example, the fillers that came after Ichigo fights against Grimmjow are just plain stupid. Not only does it take a 180 degree turn from the current storyline, it goes back to the original like nothing.

With Bleach, I only read the manga because they show too many fillers in the anime for my taste. But, I do watch important episodes when I have a chance. Like just 2 weeks ago I watched the fight between Ulquiorra and Ichigo. On that note, I don't watch anime too often anymore as I don't have the time. Just even with Dragonball, I started like early (ish..closer to mid) August to re-watch every single episode and I just bearly made it to episode 68 today. By the time I get done with GT, it will be March of next year.

The Buu saga was a curious mix of adding to the DBZ story but still ending up in the same place.

There was an enemy that seemingly could not be beaten by some single Z fighter breaking through the next power barrier. SSJ3 Goku might have been stronger than Fat Buu and maybe even Kid Buu but did not have the longevity to defeat either and by the time Mystic Gohan appeared Super Buu was able to surpass him. Even the fusion of SSJ3 Gotenks was not enough. Only the advent of Vegito, the strongest base fighter to ever appear in DB, surpassed Buu.

Vegeta accepted that Goku was better than him and always would be (despite winning their two encounters and surpassing him at the beginning of the Android and Cell sagas), enabling him to play a large part in the saving of the galaxy from Buu. But in the end, he was still always looking for a chance to prove himself against his great rival.

Gohan was still the strongest Z fighter (before being ruined in DBGT) but played no role in the final defeat of Buu and in a predictable return to form, it was Goku that finished the job (with a little help from Vegeta, Fat Buu and Hercule).

AK also seems to have had little clue as to how to end the DBZ saga. This is one of the few things that DBGT did better than DBZ. The Evil Shenrons and the removal of the Dragonballs was a good way to finish off. The introduction of Uub was a teaser rather than a conclusion.

Барбоса;2401070 said:
The Buu saga was a curious mix of adding to the DBZ story but still ending up in the same place.

There was an enemy that seemingly could not be beaten by some single Z fighter breaking through the next power barrier. SSJ3 Goku might have been stronger than Fat Buu and maybe even Kid Buu but did not have the longevity to defeat either and by the time Mystic Gohan appeared Super Buu was able to surpass him. Even the fusion of SSJ3 Gotenks was not enough. Only the advent of Vegito, the strongest base fighter to ever appear in DB, surpassed Buu.

Vegeta accepted that Goku was better than him and always would be (despite winning their two encounters and surpassing him at the beginning of the Android and Cell sagas), enabling him to play a large part in the saving of the galaxy from Buu. But in the end, he was still always looking for a chance to prove himself against his great rival.

Gohan was still the strongest Z fighter (before being ruined in DBGT) but played no role in the final defeat of Buu and in a predictable return to form, it was Goku that finished the job (with a little help from Vegeta, Fat Buu and Hercule).

AK also seems to have had little clue as to how to end the DBZ saga. This is one of the few things that DBGT did better than DBZ. The Evil Shenrons and the removal of the Dragonballs was a good way to finish off. The introduction of Uub was a teaser rather than a conclusion.

Aside from Super Saiyan 3 and fusion it appeared to me that the only things that the Buu sagas did well was developing the character of Vegeta and turning Hercule into a legit hero. Throughout the series Vegeta has gone from an insanely evil bastard to a tweener looking out for his own agenda to a reluctant hero to a hero willing to sacrifice his own life in order to stop the ultimate evil from destroying the Earth and family that he had grown to love. When the series started nobody would have thought that the Saiyan full of immense pride, the likes of which no other character could rival, that was bent on becoming immortal and ruling the galaxy would fall in love with a human of all things, let his pride go to accept that Goku was better than him, and be allowed to keep his body when he died. The only other character that I can think of to go through such a dramatic change would have to be Piccolo though unfortunately after they both went through this change they had the badass basically taken away from them over time to where they became next to useless. Hercule on the other hand was originally, and still mainly, a comedy character that brought little to the story other than claiming he defeated Cell and was always the strongest in the world, due in part to skill and mainly with making deals with the Z Fighters. This guy would run from any fight and finally found redemption in the final battle with Buu where he aided Goku with the Spirit Bomb and finally showed some damn courage. To me it was the most unexpected character change throughout the saga and maybe the entire DBZ show along with Piccolo and Vegeta.

It was nice to see Gohan achieve his inner power again for what could be thought of as the third time (from Guru's power, SS2, then Old Kai) but it did little to save him from the horrible way they treated his character throughout the Buu sagas. There was no need for Gohan to turn into a horribly cheesy super hero in his attempt to be like his dad and there was definitely no need for him to become weaker than he was at the end of the Cell saga despite the fact that he hadn't trained or fought much during the gap. Come to think of it the way he trained with Goten was just plain ridiculous, nobody of Super Saiyan levels should even think that dodging swiftly thrown rocks on Earth would help hone your skills when you trained in 100's of times Earth's gravity in order to defeat the previous ultimate evil. If that were not enough there are only a few episodes of Gohan returning to his badass former self that he was during the Cell fight before he was overpowered and absorbed by Buu and then killed by Kid Buu's destruction of Earth and revived only to give energy to the Spirit Bomb. It was too little too late to save him from the character pummeling that he experienced over the length of the saga.

It is unfortunate that the treatment of Gohan throughout the Buu sagas is one of the biggest disappointments of the entire DBZ run. Great Saiyaman, his piss poor training allowing Vegeta to take over as the strongest living being on Earth, his inability to beat Dabura and his humiliation by Fat Buu all served to destroy the vast majority of the character build that had underpinned almost all of DBZ to that point.

Even the unlocking of his full potential was badly handled. Not only did it take an eternity, but after the sacrifice of Vegeta and the close run fights with SSJ3 Goku and Gotenks, having Super Buu so overwhlemed by Mystic Gohan sort of diminished much of what had gone before. It as just too easy, meaning that to continue to saga he quickly had to be done away with/neutralised. His defeat was also too quick as well.

I know it is quite ironic to say this about DBZ but the whole Gohan vs Buu and then Gohan vs Buutenks could have been drawn out a bit more. Buu should have defeated both Piccolo and SSJ3 Gotenks through his durability, instead of just lasting until the fusion wore off.

Then he should have had a hard time with Mystic Gohan; not the butchering session that took place but have Buu gradually hold his own but increasingly find that Gohan can hurt him, forcing him to look for another alternative ie. the absorption of Goten, Trunks and Piccolo. Then have Buutenks defeat Gohan in a protracted fight rather than in a squash, leaving only Goku and Vegeta left to save the galaxy.

At least then Gohan would not have been swept under the carpet and have the compensation of having put up a good fight against the strongest being seen in the galaxy up to that point, rather than just being squashed.

For it's faults, I've always found two things that I really like about the Buu Arc.

Hercule
Say what you want but Hercule was a great addition to the cast in The Cell Games and the fact that Toriyama brought him back and turned him into not only a true hero but also a main character in this part of the story, was something I loved. He's truly a great comic relief character but he's also a great character full stop.

Buu
Pretty much all of the villains leading up until Buu are pretty mouthy bastards. Pilaf, The Head Honchos in the Red Ribbon Army, Tao, Demon King Piccolo, Nappa, Raditz, Ginyu, Freeza, King Cold, Gero, Cell, Dabura & Babidi. Everyone in that list would ramble a fair bit about their evil plans, but Buu was different. Buu was a scary guy for totally different reasons to everyone else. Majin Buu was a bad tempered child who, when he didn't get his way, could snap at any moment. Super Buu was a mad, quite, demonic type of character and Kid Buu was quite and just purely violent.

So am I the only one who loved the Buu saga, liked everything they did with Gohan in Otherworld, and his fight with Buu, and thought that the ending being different for once, with Goku, even though hes not the strongest this time, still beating Buu?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Buu saga. A multi-faceted villian; several heroes playing their part in Buu's defeat, Vegeta's sacrifice and even though I have never been the biggest fan of Gohan and especially Goku, as Buu was seen as the end of the series, Goku defeating Buu was the right way to go.

The messing about with Gohan was just a blip on an otherwise entertaining landscape.

Furyof5 said:
So am I the only one who loved the Buu saga, liked everything they did with Gohan in Otherworld, and his fight with Buu, and thought that the ending being different for once, with Goku, even though hes not the strongest this time, still beating Buu?

Pretty much. Yea...Nah, kidding. I rather liked the Buu sagas. But its like Барбоса said, they ruined what they did with Gohan. Gohan, once the strongest character in the entire Dragonball Z series, redused to a "pussy". For that matter, AK ruined almost all of his characters. Every single credibility that every characters had established were reduced to nothing. Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, Krillin, Piccolo etc--They were all worthless now. This is the only problem that I had with the Buu sagas. Other than that, the stories were quiet enjoyable. And like Funkay said, Hercule and Buu were very funny and fun to watch.

Though, in my opinion, the funniest character in the Dragonball series of all time was Master Roshi. This guy always made me crack up with his "Excercise Tapes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back