General Anime Discussion Thread

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know we have quite a few anime watchers on here, so I thought I might as well make this thread. This is a thread to talk about whatever anime you're watching right now, what your favorite one is, directors and studios, and more.
Anything to do with anime is fair game here.

Right now, I am watching Azumanga Daioh. I got the box set for Christmas and am having a blast. It's one of the funniest shows I've seen, ever. It's a shame it didn't get into the SitCom tournament, but it probably wouldn't have gone very far.
It's a show about high school girls being high school girls. There isn't a distinct plot other than "Girls are weird". It's extremely cute, hilarious, and a joy to watch. Whenever I'm feeling down, I know I can pop in a disc and it will cheer me right up.

Reactions: RT
Yay, an anime thread ..

What I'm watching right now:

Nothing. Lame, I know. But yes, maybe I could pick up some suggestions from this thread ~
I was thinking about watching Vampire Knight just because it's becoming popular here right now and already watched the first two (I think) episodes but it didn't really get me hooked. Probably because I don't like naive main characters. Or female main characters for that matter, at least if they're portrayed in the usual shojo manner.

My favorite animes:

• Prince of Tennis
Yes, an anime about boys playing tennis. Deal with it. q:

•Hetalia: Axis Powers
Don't know if it really qualifies because it hasn't been released in the US yet (I think). But I love it, just like the webcomic/manga.
A series about .. well basically the world, with each country being portrayed by a character. What better way is there to learn World history? :3

Now for the more popular stuff ..
•Detective Conan, Digimon, Dragon Ball and probably everything else that I watched as a kid.

No, I don't like Naruto.
I'm sorry, the hype just completely ruined it for me :/

I used to like Naruto, but then it came to America. I know that sounds stupid, but the dub ruined it for me, or rather the fact that a ton of people only knew about the dub and started beeing (for lack of a better word) "weeaboos". People at my old school would run around naming people after various characters and talking about "Sasuke" this and "Naruto" that. It's extremely hard to explain, but it really irked me. Narutomania swept the school, and the way they acted gave anime fans and anime in general a really bad name. You would mention ninjas and they would rant about Naruto. Or, you'd mention naruto to someone and they'd scoff and walk away. It was very off-putting.

I used to like Naruto, but then it came to America. I know that sounds stupid, but the dub ruined it for me, or rather the fact that a ton of people only knew about the dub and started beeing (for lack of a better word) "weeaboos". People at my old school would run around naming people after various characters and talking about "Sasuke" this and "Naruto" that. It's extremely hard to explain, but it really irked me. Narutomania swept the school, and the way they acted gave anime fans and anime in general a really bad name. You would mention ninjas and they would rant about Naruto. Or, you'd mention naruto to someone and they'd scoff and walk away. It was very off-putting.

If you strike out America and insert Germany, that's exactly what happened to me.

I saw the first few fansubbed episodes and thought it could actually be not that bad. But then, Naruto became popular and the dubs, yes, they were horrible.
Now, there are so many kiddies running around with their headbands, shouting false pronunciations of Sasuke and Itachi and feel soooo cool. Whoa, give me a break please.

I know not everyone wants to deal with fansubs or understands them and that's completely cool with me.
Liking something just because it's cool/mainstream? Nah, I'll pass.

I don't watch anime much although I have many friends who do. I struggle with finding any that I can really keep my interest, although I do like the art style in many of them. My personal favorite is Sailor Moon. I loved it when I was younger because it was funny and had so many great episodes. I have nearly every episode of it. My friends who are in my college's anime club have been trying to get me to come to their meetings every friday since I got to TSU.... sorry but Smackdown is just a LITTLE more important ;) I've jokingly told them every single time that I'll come if they show Sailor Moon, that turned into a huge inside joke over the years because they have yet to show it lol

Sailor Moon.... the ONLY anime endorsed by Dagger Dias.

I wanna check out this shit my friend has called Burst Angel but I cant find it online anywhere. Anime aint cheap either after the dubbing and all...I used to be a Inuyasha Fan but got tired of trying to keep up, and the dvd sets are absurdly expensive.

I don't watch anime much although I have many friends who do. I struggle with finding any that I can really keep my interest, although I do like the art style in many of them. My personal favorite is Sailor Moon. I loved it when I was younger because it was funny and had so many great episodes. I have nearly every episode of it. My friends who are in my college's anime club have been trying to get me to come to their meetings every friday since I got to TSU.... sorry but Smackdown is just a LITTLE more important ;) I've jokingly told them every single time that I'll come if they show Sailor Moon, that turned into a huge inside joke over the years because they have yet to show it lol

Sailor Moon.... the ONLY anime endorsed by Dagger Dias.

The majority of animes that are dubbed (including Naruto) that have a rating of TV14 or higher in Japan are usually given two different dubs in English. One dub is an edited version that is usually aired on stations like Cartoon Network and 4Kids. A second dub is also created, these are the unedited box sets that you buy in stores like Walmart and Target.

Sailor Moon had a rating of TV14 in Japan and was geared towards teenagers and young adults. The problem was that Sailor Moon was never given an uncut dub into english, and the dub that was made differs greatly from both the Japanese dub and the manga.

The English dub of Sailor Moon has more plot holes and discrepancies than Dragonball Z, especially during the first and last seasons.

Naoko Takeuchi became so offended by the anime that she stopped endorsing it after the Sailor Stars storyline arc, which is a primary reason why the Sailor Chaos storyline arc was never animated.

When it comes to Sailor Moon I always stick with the Japanese dub. If your friends in the anime club don't enjoy the Japanese version, that'll probably be a reason as to why they've never shown it before.

When it comes to Sailor Moon I always stick with the Japanese dub. If your friends in the anime club don't enjoy the Japanese version, that'll probably be a reason as to why they've never shown it before.

I'm only missing the first season or so, and a friend is supposed to be getting them for me soon. The episodes I have are the original japanese versions with english subtitles. I actually prefer those versions of these shows because they often sound far less cheesy than american versions, and cheesiness is by a landslide the biggest issue I have with most animes.

You're definitely right about it being geared towards teens rather than children, I was around 12 when I really got into it.... and that was in 1998 or so. Even in the american version you could mostly tell that the show was meant for an older audience.

Sailor Moon remains the only anime I have ever REALLY gotten into, and that is why I joke around by saying that it is "the only anime endorsed by Dagger Dias". I'm sure I'll find another I like that much someday, I tend to like the ones that are either based off a video game series or the ones that resemble one.... which might be kind of obvious because I'm an RPG fan and creating my own in my spare time. The problem though as I mentioned earlier is that most anime shows are just too cheesy for my taste.

I've only recently got into anime a year ago. I started watching old episodes of Digimon, Sailor Moon, and Dragonball Z for nostalgia effect, when I decided to branch out.

Many of the animes I've seen are currently being aired on television, these include Inuyasha, Bleach, and Naruto.

Others include Kiddy Grade, Ranma 1/2, Dr. Slump, and pretty much all of the reincarnations of Tenchi Muyo (including Pretty Sammy and Magical Project S)

My favorite anime is the original Dragonball, the fight scenes are very reminiscent to pro wrestling matches, as each fight has it's own story to tell and aren't just a bunch of mindless violent struggles.

I've yet to encounter an anime that's more amusing than Ranma 1/2, this anime is the king of vulgarity and obscenities. The characters being as eccentric as they come.

I'll make a comment for those who follow the subs of Bleach and Naruto (I stoped reading the Mangas for both Bleach and Naruto, they ruined the anime for me).

The last fight scene with Byakuya is second to only the Grimm Jaw fight as one of the best animated fights I've ever seen. Although I hate fillers, this has a been a damn good one and worth watching.

The last episode I watched of Naruto really reminded me WHY I watched the show. I hate Naruto being in love with Sasuke and all, but seeing Sasuke crying at the end of the episode was great. One of those things that transferred better into animation I think. Now no ruining anything for me.

Anyone watch One Piece? I'm not sure I want to sit through 400+ episodes of a show just yet...but I hear its the second best anime out there, besides Geass.

the current anime im watchin is Trigun. It's not my first time, but I love it. I cant explain why, i guess it's because out of all my friends, that was my fave anime whereas they all watched cowboy bebop (also great). I REALLY wanna get into Claymore, that shit looks badass. Once saw a fight scene where this guy just...fucked EVERYONE up. Gotta catch it lol Favorite Anime- Dragonball Z, just because it was the first one i ever saw. My childhood was based around the show and to me, nothing can be better. As for directors and studios, I couldnt really tell you. I just know the creators of them, studios i never really pay attention to.

Other faves
Tenjho Tenge
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
YuYu Hakusho
Street Fighter II-V
Rave Master
Outlaw Star

Anyone watch One Piece? I'm not sure I want to sit through 400+ episodes of a show just yet...but I hear its the second best anime out there, besides Geass.

Sit through the current 436 episodes, do it. The series isn't half done and it gets better every week. Though i suggest that you read the manga as the anime is moving quite slowly right now.

I watch allot of anime myself, love it.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Slowdude
Theres a site that i use to keep track of what im watching. I highly suggest watching Gintama, funniest shit ever.

Code Geass has nothing on the epic-ness of One Piece. One Piece has classic written all over it. It really absorbs you. Currently in the Manga, the craziest battle is ensuing and it involves some of the strongest/best players in the One Piece universe, including Luffy.

Code Geass is really good and sometimes ridiculously over the top that by the end of R2, you're thinking anything can happen. But, you just can't compare it to the massive adventure that is One Piece.

I love Anime. I've been religiously watching it since 2003.

My favourites of all time are...

1. Escaflowne
2. Urusei Yatsura
3. Haibane Renmei
4. Infinite Ryvius
5. Welcome to the NHK!
6. Bakemonogatari <-- Great artwork and narrative style, albeit confusing at times.
7. Kaiba <-- Thought-provoking and at times emotional. Don't let the Osamu Tezuka-style art fool you. Its content can be older audience oriented.
8. Ergo Proxy
9. Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai
10. Monster <-- Amazing storytelling. One of the more mature Anime series with compelling mystery.

Sit through the current 436 episodes, do it. The series isn't half done and it gets better every week. Though i suggest that you read the manga as the anime is moving quite slowly right now.

I watch allot of anime myself, love it.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Slowdude
Theres a site that i use to keep track of what im watching. I highly suggest watching Gintama, funniest shit ever.

Gintama is another one I'm not sold on watching all the way through. The new caps all look amazing, but I loathe sitting through the first few arcs. I know One Piece is fucking terrible, its why I never picked it up.

Oh, and Bleach and Shippudden are starting to get on track, and becoming better. I actually (for the most part) love the latest Bleach Arc which is very rare.

Gintama is another one I'm not sold on watching all the way through. The new caps all look amazing, but I loathe sitting through the first few arcs. I know One Piece is fucking terrible, its why I never picked it up.

Oh, and Bleach and Shippudden are starting to get on track, and becoming better. I actually (for the most part) love the latest Bleach Arc which is very rare.

One Piece isn't terrible, the first 20-30 episodes aren't that great but as you get to the arlong Arc a better story comes along. Hell it was pretty average until about episode 230 (yes that seems like along way but its worth watching everything before hand, even some of the fillers). Once you get to Water 7/CP9 arc the series really picks up big time. While the series may seem just, "Luffy wants to be the pirate king", there are so many sub plots that get in the way of him just getting straight there
(Such as his entire crew being separated across half of the One Piece World and the main focus now being solely on Luffy trying to save his brother who was captured by the marines after a man known as Blackbeard that Luffy met at around episode 150 defeated his brother Ace (Ace was stopping Blackbeardand from going after Luffy at around episode 325) is getting executed soon. Luffy sneaks into the largest prison in the one piece world, breaks allot of criminals out of jail, escapes with around 250 prisoners, goes to the marine HQ and joins his brothers Crew the Whitebeard Pirates face the entire Marines... I'll stop there.
That is one of the greatest things about the series. Everything has meaning. For example
Like the crew met two giants at around episode 60. 200 episodes later while the crew arrived at an island where the World Government had captured one of the crew mates Nico Robin, the other 6 members chased her their and while rampaging through the island they had to fight two different Giants. The character Usopp started talking to them and found out those two giants they were just fighting were apart of the other two giants crew from earlier on. They two new giants explain why the two giants from before were fighting on that island.
Oda even brings back old characters such as the second villain of the series Buggy the Clown, Baroque Works Agents who were the villains of the second part of the series. All these former antagonists end up helping the main character Luffy because he breaks them out of prison as he needed the help to escape from the prison he broke into after failing to break his brother out of the jail.

While it may seem bad at the start, it improves so much as time goes by. You can't judge the series over the episodes at the start of the series, they looked like shit and theres a reason why, it came out in 1999. Its now 2010, the animation has improved, the story just keeps getting better.

Okay, so I just watched pretty much every DBZ episode starting with the Cell saga. I'm seriously thinking about watching the beginning half of the series tonight, because I'm definitely pulling an all nighter.

Also, completely unrelated to DBZ, but I also just recently watched Spirited Away again. I absolutely love that movie. The visuals, when you realize that it was released in 2001, are absolutely stunning. It's sooooooo good. Plus the creativity that you see throughout the entire movie, from the spirit town and then the parents eating too much and literally "pigging out", all the way through to Haku remembering his name and kind of re-becoming himself...it's simply incredible. :D

I used to watch anime day in and day out through Animax Latino. If you think it sucks in English its worse in Spanish, but the point is that it was 24/7. I sadly don't have the channel anymore as it was removed from our provider. Some of those included Gantz. gritty, bloody and sexual. I wouldn't recommend watching it if you're looking for a story because it has no payoff in the end. Its senseless killing. The manga, I've is a lot more coherent.

Naruto Shippuden is finally in North America but by the time it got here I'd already seen over 100 episodes. At least I can kill time.

DBZ is of course a landmark for anime shipped to U.S. but never forget the greatness of Gundam Wing. My favorite in the Gundam franchise. Great plot, full of action.

In preparation for the Battle Arena Tourney, I downloaded and started watching every fansubbed episode of Rockman.EXE. This series holds a lot of nostalgia for me. It was the first anime I went out of my way to watch every episode of. It was the first fandom I ever joined. It introduced me to forums, to shipping, to J-pop.

On top of that, it's still a greatly enjoyable series. It's really a blast from the past, watching it. I feel like it's 2003 again.

I was really hoping there would be an Anime thread; Wrestling and Anime there my specialty. And I think that Doctor and I will get on very well.

I'd love to talk Trigun with people if there interested its one on my favorite amines and im re-watching it now what are peoples thoughts on the anime ?

An anime thread? Why haven't I seen this already? I sadly don't watch much anime nowadays. At least, not since Toonami went off the air as that was how I would get my daily dose of anime. As a child, I grew up on shows such as DBZ, Outlaw Star (which I miss watching dearly), Big O, among others. Like I said, my chances to watch anime are few and far between these days however I have been watching Death Note recently on Youtube.

I think Doc would agree with me when I say that Death Note is the shit.

Right now I am absolutely loving Naruto. Huge swerve in it involving Sasuke's brother, Itachi. Completely off the blue there and completely changed the shape of the story. Not only that but Pain's role is an interesting one.

Also watching Megaman.exe. The Beast storyline is the best of them. Its consistent from episode to episode and a very unique story. Shame it was so short.

Absolutely adore Trigun, Yoshikawa. I've been re-watching it lately, and it's just awesome. I love how it can make you laugh, think, cry, and go through the whole range of emotions the further you get into the series. The character designs are brilliant, as is the art direction, and it's just a great series.

Anyone who is a fan of Westerns or Sci-Fi should check it out. Stick with it though; it's goofy at first but it gets a lot more serious and totally awesome.

Recently I've been on a Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli kick. I'm watching Castle In The Sky next. I've neer seen it, but I hear nothing but good.

I think Doc would agree with me when I say that Death Note is the shit.

This.

Thanks for the reply doctor i have this thread in my subscription so hopefully a lot more conversation could come of this.

Castle in the sky is really good I really enjoyed it when I was watching it, I completely agree with you about Trigun it is an absolute favorite of mine and I truly adore Vash and what he stands for it has had a big impact on my life i want to get Love and peace tattooed on my arm.

(doubt it will happen im scared of needles lol)

If you haven't seen it a good anime to watch is one called Cowboy Bebop this is a classic anime and is a favorite of mine its kind of like Trigun in a way that it is a sci-fi western and the protagonist is a gun man and he has similar traits as Vash its worth watching all the characters are lovable and the story line is constant with some surprises.

Just from reading the thread here, it seems that either I'm the only on here that's watched Sorcerous Stabber Orphen or that I'm the only one that liked it.

I've had both series of it and watched it several times over, it's one of my very favorite animes, I wish I still had both series as I have been wanting to watch it for a while now.

It has a good story based mostly on love with an asshole main character (Orphen) that you can't help but enjoy.

If you haven't seen it before, I suggest that you give it a try, if you have seen it and don't like it, I apologize for bring up a sore subject.

If you haven't seen it a good anime to watch is one called Cowboy Bebop this is a classic anime and is a favorite of mine its kind of like Trigun in a way that it is a sci-fi western and the protagonist is a gun man and he has similar traits as Vash its worth watching all the characters are lovable and the story line is constant with some surprises.

I've seen one episode of Cowboy Bebop all the way through ("Mushroom Samba") and I LOVED it. Unfortunately I've only seen bits and pieces of the rest of the series. It seems like something I'd like. However the problem is first getting it (either by downloads or DVDs) and then finding the time to actually sit down and watch the thing. That's the biggest problem I have these days; not enough free time. There are so many movies and shows I would like to see, but never can find the time for.

I'm going to try my best to see the series. I hear the creators liked the dub more than the original language, so I may even watch it in English. I saw a movie of it (my brother had a subbed VHS) and I liked it a lot, but I don't remember anything about it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back