Games of E3 2011

The Electronic Entertainment Expo, commonly known as E3, is the ultimate expo for both the computer and video game industry. It is an event presented by the Entertainment Software Association and hosted at the Los Angeles Convention Centre annually.
This year’s E3 will be held from June 7th – 9th and since it is THE event that provides many video game developers to show off their upcoming games and game-related hardware, it is very easy for gamers to get excited and anticipate what games will be shown at the show.

Now that we are just shy of two weeks away from this years event, I figured now is the time to discuss what specific games we are looking forward to hearing about during this year’s event.

MTM’s Most Anticpated Games of E3 2001

1) Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception

I’d be hard-pressed in finding a video game franchise that I enjoy more than Uncharted. The gameplay, characters, story, graphics always manage to rise to the top of the pack for PlayStation games, and from what has been announced so far, Drake’s Deception looks to continue with that tradition.

With each Uncharted game that gets released, Naughty Dog, the game’s developers, always seem to pull out all of the stops. Weaknesses of the previous games are repaired, and strengths are built on. Uncharted 3 has received a complete overhaul, including new engine.

This year’s game, looks to include new locations that the gamer hasn’t experienced before such as the Arabian Desert.

2) Batman: Arkham City

Batman: Arkham Asylum was the best game that I had played in 2009. After playing it, I was visiting my local comic book store and picking up Batman and various other comics. I was purchasing Batman T-Shirts, collecting any Batman paraphernalia that I could find. It was the first game that has affected my life, outside of the game.

Arkham City’s has continued where Arkham Asylum left off. You’re characters isn’t starting from scratch and forced to recollect all tools and weapons, rather in Arkham City, you begin the game with everything you gathered in Arkham Asylum.

Arkham City’s environment is five times larger than Arkham Asylum, contains new (and more) villains from Batman’s large rogue gallery, and looks to have an even darker story than Arkham Asylum.

3) Bioshock: Infinite

The story environment, setting and tone in the first Bioshock is simply amazing. It was both dark and claustrophobic yet seemingly endless and beautiful. The city of Rapture felt like a new and exciting place to explore, despite it being dirty, decaying.

Bioshock 2 felt very similar to the first Bioshock. It felt like it had lost its fresh feel and instead felt like “been there, done that.”

All of that it set to change with Bioshock: Infinite. No longer are we confined to the dark corridors of Rapture. Now we are free to roam around the city of Columbus, a city built in the sky. The dark environment is replaced with bright sun and colour. The cramped area, replaced with an area as far as the eye can see.

Bioshock: Infinite, looks to have once again brought back the fresh and exciting feel of a new world, while at the same time, keeping the Bioshock gameplay and vision.

4) Resistance 3

I love the alternate history story that is told within the Resistance games. In 1951, An alien race has come to Earth and has been very successful in destroying everything in their wake, and terraforming the world to fit their needs of survival.

Resistance 3 continues after the events of Resistance 2. You’ll be playing as a character introduced in the second game, who as one of the few remaining humans on the planet, is reluctant to leave his family to fight what appears to be an unwinnable war against the Chimera race.

5) Mass Effect 3

I have yet to be fortunate enough to play Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2, so I have very little reason to anticipate this game. What does have me looking forward to this game, is the teaser/announcement trailer that was released during Spike TV’s Video Game Awards this year. For the past two games, Commander Sheppard has taken the fight against the Reapers all around the galaxy. In Mass Effect 3, it looks like the fight has finally arrived on Earth.

Honorable Mentions​

1) Battlefield 3
Much like the Mass Effect series, I have yet to play a Battlefield game. However, Battlefield 3 might be the game to change that. Early footage shows the game, built on a new engine to look graphically stunning. The action looks solid and so far it feels like it will be a much different first person shooter than a Call of Duty game.

I’m exciting about the possibility of a new shooter and Battlefield 3, is one that I will be looking at closely.

2) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
As much as it may seem like I just trashed the Call of Duty games while discussing the previous game, I do find enjoyment out of the Modern Warfare franchise. While the second was a huge disappointment in terms of the campaign, I hope that the developers have listened to the complaints, learned from their mistakes and have invested just as much time into the single player campaign, as they do their multiplayer.

3) Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
The Assassin’s Creed games are always beautiful to play. I always enjoy my time playing each game, but new locations within the game aren’t enough to make the games feel any different from the previous. In Revelations, you will be playing as Desmond, Ezio, and Altair so hopefully playing as multiple characters, in a new location, with new weapons and gadgets will be enough to make this game feel fresh and like a brand new game.

There is my list of the games that I am anticipating the most from this year’s E3.

What specific games are you looking forward to seeing, and learning more about?

Reactions: .
I'm very pumped for this E3 because now that consoles have sort started to be tapped into, we're about to see how great the gameplay can be. Designers have the graphics for the game down and ready, but now it's time that they take the gaming experience up.

Also, what I'm waiting to hear more about is the Metal Gear Solid Rising game which 360 will finally be getting a chance to ravel in. Hopefully, just hopefully, the game can get a 2011 release or maybe an early 2012. Either way, I can't wait.

I'm also looking forward to see if Bungie will release a new game. Halo was a great series to launch them into a big time company and now they've got the chance to be a multi-platform company and I just can't wait to see what they will bring to the table.

Edit: I know that the series is pretty much dead, and a lot of people didn't like the reboot with 360's initial launch because it wasn't "Halo-like" (though it's a spy game and not supposed to be like Halo), I really want to see one of the big consoles pick up the Perfect Dark series. I know that after Zero it was supposed to be a prequel and final to the franchise, but I'm honestly not pleased with that. Perfect Dark is a nice Splinter Cell contestant and I think the two need somethings to balance each other out.

Speaking of Tom Clancy, I think that another game I'm looking forward to hearing about is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It was set for release in 2011 this year on all major platforms, including PC, but in the end it had a major push back which I didn't really like so well. Even still, i'm highly interested in seeing if they've polished the game up and what all can we expect from them. IMO, the Tom Clancy Series (Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon especially) are the best in their kind and I can't wait to see what's to come from them.

You forgot one of the biggest titles that is going to be there The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I have been looking forward to this game for going on 3 years now since finishing Oblivion. Don't get me wrong, I am also excited for BioShock because those have been excellent games so far, but Skyrim is, without a doubt, the crown jewel of this year's E3 class in my opinion.

Well, MTM, every game you listed I'm excited for as well (save Mass Effect 3, since I haven't played the others). That said, I won't bother re-listing them, so here's some other games I can't wait to see more of.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: It's a new console Zelda. That alone is cause for celebration. The big question surrounding this game is whether or not it'll be used as a launch game for Project Cafe. With that possibility, it'll be interesting to see what state the game's in at this point.

The Darkness II: The Darkness is one of the most underrated games of this generation and the sequel looks to be even better. Jackie Estacado returns, now the Don of the Francetti crime family. But after an assassination attempt, the darkness within him reawakens has he journeys to uncover the mystery behind the attack and the Darkness itself. New tactics like the ability to wield firearms and the darkness powers simultaneously sounds like a great addition. Looking to see what else this game has in store.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Oblivion is one of my favorite games ever. This looks to be even better, boasting a new engine, some new gameplay mechanics such as duel-wielding weapons and dragon shouts. Of course, the biggest additions are dragons. Yes sir, a barrel full of powerful dragons that can take you out faster than you can say "Reign of Fire". Thankfully, you're one of the last of the line of Dragon Hunters and the world's only hope against defeating the beast before they destroy all of Tameriel. Skyrim is looking great and is going to set E3 on fire. You know, because there are dragons and dragons breathe fire. Duh.

DmC Devil May Cry: After causing the DMC fanbase to commit mass suicide with the debut of black-haired "emo" Dante, some burning questions may finally be answered. Is the game a reboot or a prequel? What changes will be made to the gameplay? Will Virgil or Trish be involved? A release date? Just why is Dante's hair black anyway? Hopefully those of us who kept the gun from our heads will get some answers come E3.

Mega Man Legends 3: The first two Mega Man Legends games were some of the most successful gambles ever and Mr. Volnutt dig himself out of that hole he's been hiding in the last decade. Not much is known about this game, but the bits of infor that's been shown indicates that the formula that made the last two games a blast are still intact.Thankfully the departure of Keiji Inafune hasn't stopped this game, though hopefully it won't affect it's quality either. This game still seems to be on some shaky ground, so hopefully we'll get some more concrete info on both gameplay, story and release.

Street Fighter X Tekken/Tekken X Street Fighter: It's Street Fighter vs Tekken. Or is it Tekken vs Street Figher? Either way it's two of the biggest fighting games ever colliding in what should be a clusterfuck of awesome. The Tekken fighters seem to look and play great in the Street Fighter engine; now we just need to see the flip side.

Super Mario 3DS: After a lackluster launch lineup, it's time to show what the 3DS can really do and what better way than with a Mario game. I'm hoping for a 3D Mario, as I feel that would be the best way to show the 3DS capabilities. They've got a gyroscope and 3D to work with and I'd like to see those features integrated into the platforming for gameplay never before seen in a Mario game.

Sonic Generations: Generations collide as you control Genesis-era Sonic and the current, modern Sonic. Seeing chubby, black-eyed Sonic again is a nostalgic treat and he returns with all his moves (and physics) of the Genesis games, making my inner child giddy with joy. Modern Sonic's stages play like the recent Wii games like Sonic Colors, which are fun in their own way, but hopefully can stand up his classic counterpart's.

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One: I love me some Ratchet & Clank. I've played every game but until now, I've only been able to enjoy them alone. That changes with All 4 One, which let's three other players join the fray for some co-op, weapon-based platforming mayhem. This is a bold move for the franchise, but from what I've seen of the game, the risk just might equal reward.

Twisted Metal: One of my favorite franchises ever gets it's long awaited revival. The classic car combat formula is intact and the new additions such as factions and aerial vehicles look great. The game looks to be a mix of the zany, cartooniness of TW 2 with the dark tone of TW:Black giving gamers the best of both flavors. The one thing this game doesn't have is Rob Zombie. Okay, I'm over it now.

Tomb Raider: Hot damn, I can't wait for this one. Crystal Dynamics have done a great job of reviving this classic franchise with a trilogy of more than solid titles and this reboot looks to be the best yet. A re-imagined, inexperienced Lara is trapped on a cursed island and must push herself physically and mentally to survive. This darker theme and the emphasis of survival looks to add some needed intensity and emotion to both the character and the franchise.

Reactions: .
I realized the other day that I forgot to mention Metal Gear Solid: Rising

I have always been a huge fan of the Metal Gear franchise, with the exception of Metal Gear Solid 2. I absolutely HATED Raiden as he was nothing but a whiney bitch throughout the entire game.

Somehow, he managed to revive himself in my eyes and kicked all sorts of ass in Metal Gear Solid 4. The Raiden in MGS4, is the one that I expect to be displayed in Rising.

While I've enjoyed the stealthy gameplay Snake provides, I'm looking forward to a more action oriented, ninja style gameplay with Raiden mixed with the fantastic (but convoluted) story the Metal Gear Solid franchise brings.

Shame on those of you who haven't yet played the Mass Effect series, one of the very best series of the current generation. I will be shaking with anticipation during the MS press conference, cause I'll know they'll unleash this badass. I haven't anticipated a game this much since Twilight Princess.

Speaking of TP, Skyward Sword is also gonna to be shown off this year. After the, uh, technical difficulties last year, I'm hoping it looks as good as a Zelda game should.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing some Arkham City gameplay, same goes for Skyrim, two games I quite want to play.

And, as usual, there will be a game that catches us completely off guard, and will cause marking out of epic proportions. I have no idea what it'll be, but I'm keeping an eye on Nintendo for perhaps F-Zero or a real Starfox, cause there's no other games that I could see realistically announced that fit into this category, unless Rockstar are much further into GTA V than we all realise.

I'm looking foward to news relating to Saints Row : The Third & Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim , as well as of course WWE 12

Also that new Zelda game for Wii someone else mentioned is sort of an "Honorable mention" from me too

Saints Row is seriously the best and most fun game series in existance , I'm suprised nobody else said they were looking foward to SR3 stuff but me

If you don't know , Saints Row is like GTA only less serious & more fun :D

Hitman: Absolution and Rage are the top games on my list to look forward to the most in my opinion. Sure by now, I know plenty of things about Rage, but the game looks more and more amazing every time I see gameplay videos of it.

Hitman I can't wait to see details of. I hope it'll be like Hitman 2, but IDK....we'll see.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Had a huge amount of fun playing Oblivion as there was so much to do and even when I ran out of things to do I began modding and had more things to do! Skyrim appears to be given more and has put in some of the elements of their other games like Fallout(Children in the game and other NPC's fight). The characters in the game have seemingly come a long way and the look of them have changed from monkey looking NPC's to clean cut models. Bethesda are boasting many new promising features such as a new game engine that thankfully is replacing the long dated Gamebryo engine, dual wielding that has a lot of thought and detail put into it which includes dual wielding spells, weapons and even shields. My favourite feature the game is boasting that has me most excited about it is the little detailed Dragon Shouts which apparently are abilities that are gained once you kill a dragon in the game. Beautiful landscapes, realistic NPC's and effective enemies make the immersion of this game look top notch and the gameplay just sounds epic.

Hitman: Absolution - My favourite series of games are getiing another sequel with the same team as before and hopefully(Not confirmed) Jesper Kyde will be doing the music for the game(His music has always gave the game such a great atmosphere and feel to it.). The stealth system that the gme has presented has always been great as it adapted from the Theif game series. Each game improved the games AI & creative methods of killing someone and I'm really looking forward to the new features this game will present us with. If anything I'd just love for it to have the length and mission style(Some contracts took up to three missions to complete i.e the temple one) but with more improved gameplay and style from Blood Money.

RAGE - So over the top it looks fun. The trinkets and accesories presented to us the player make the game look really fun. The driving is something I'm thinking about whether or not will work but it does look like something you could have several months of fun time playing with tons of replayability. I haven't seen much from the game so I don't know much else.

The Darkness II - The game is apparently quite controversial because the trailer depicts Jackie in the process of being crucified by some weird troll looking thing. The storyline seems really good as it is apparently about Jackie and the Darkness being pursued by another group with similar powers known as The Evangelists. The first Darkness game was criminally underrated mostly due to too much focus on it's piss poor multiplayer. This game has changed it's graphics from a dark grime realistic one ot a more cartoony style which will probably suit the over the top violence the game will feature. The story of the first game was very emotional but action packed at the same time and I hope it's sequel will follow that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back