G.E.D.: Good Enough Diploma?

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
While discussing the job situation with a friend, and because it's something that's been on my mind for quite some time.. what are everyone's opinions on G.E.D.'s? Especially compared to a regular High School Diploma?

Most jobs will often look at a GED compared to a regular Diploma as one in the same, minus a possible "work ethic". If you have a High School Diploma, you typically went through 4 years of High School to achieve it. Whereas with a GED, you don't have to go through 4 years, yet learn the same amount, and get done at your own pace. (be it quicker or longer)

Personally, I was pulled from Junior High and never went to High School for personal reasons and by my Parent's choice. I got my GED, based on an 8th grade education, but I learned subjects clear through to a 12th grade level, all within a year's time.

Some Company's could look at this as a bad thing, as they could deem I was purely "lazy" and unwilling to commit long-term to a 4-year plan on learning. However that wasn't the case in my situation. And it's not like I didn't learn the same amount of things, if not more/better, since I learned a 4-year subject plan in the span of 1 year's time.

Furthermore, it's often been looked at that people who're "Home Schooled" are better in standing than those who get a GED education, yet I disagree.

My best friend got a Home School diploma, and a friend of his Family's did one of his tests for him, that he didn't understand. He passed because of that. Whereas "I" had to take my tests, by a time-limit, in front of a School's board of directors. So it could be easily argued that I had to do the hardest amount of objectives, in order to pass in the same manner as a regular High School student, or a Home Schooled student.

What are everyone's opinions on GED's, Home Schooling and Regular High School diploma's? Is one better than the other? If so, why? Explain why you feel the way you do.

I think a G.E.D. is just as good as a high school diploma. Judging from what one of my good friends that's getting her G.E.D. told me that she is learning way more now than she did in high school. You can still get a great job with a G.E.D. like my cousin who is a supervisor at his job. Basically it's all of how employers look at people with G.E.D.'s as either equal as a high school diploma in some cases or less than a high school diploma in other cases.

It all depends. If I was in a position to hire someone without any college-level education, I would probably hire someone with a Diploma rather than a G.E.D. However, it is important to remember that getting a G.E.D. does not bar you from going to Community or Junior College and, from there, to a four-year institution. If you get a G.E.D. but, at the very least, still get an Associate's Degree, I think it shows determination and courage on your part. Most people are under the false impression that getting a G.E.D. not only bars you from getting a decent job, but also from getting further education. If you can work around this false impression and endure the stigma that is put upon you, then I think that says a lot about your character. And, ultimately, character is what is most important.

It all depends. If I was in a position to hire someone without any college-level education, I would probably hire someone with a Diploma rather than a G.E.D.

But why? This is my biggest issue with most Companies. A G.E.D. is the exact same thing as a Diploma, minus the length in gaining it. If anything, people who gain a G.E.D. could be seen in a more brilliant light, simply based on how quickly they can pass the tests to graduate.

Now I'm definately not saying I'm more brilliant than anyone, and I'm not saying there are people with Diploma's more brilliant than I. I'm simply saying making a decision, based on two things that are similar, except in "name", is yet another descriminating factor. No different than picking a male over a female, or a white person over a black person.

However, it is important to remember that getting a G.E.D. does not bar you from going to Community or Junior College and, from there, to a four-year institution. If you get a G.E.D. but, at the very least, still get an Associate's Degree, I think it shows determination and courage on your part.

If I get a college education, and thus a degree in college, then I wouldn't care whether I got a regular diploma or a G.E.D. to begin with, because I'd no longer be judged accordingly off that. I'd be looked at, as being a college grad. then.

Most people are under the false impression that getting a G.E.D. not only bars you from getting a decent job, but also from getting further education.

Having only a G.E.D. does actually bar you from getting certain jobs, but so does having just a regular diploma. Those jobs require you to have a college degree of some kind.

And I knew having a G.E.D. still allowed me to go to college. Due to my personal issues with school and Teachers in the past, was my only hang-up on why I never considered going until recently.

If you can work around this false impression and endure the stigma that is put upon you, then I think that says a lot about your character. And, ultimately, character is what is most important.

What "stigma" would that be? The theory of those who get G.E.D.'s aren't as equal as those who have regular diploma's?

I've actually proven to Companies, and Individuals alike that I can have the same amount of intelligence, if not more, than a regular diploma carrying grad.

The only "misunderstood" statement associated with G.E.D. grads is that they were lazy, and merely didn't want to go a full 4-years to get a "real" diploma. When that isn't always the case, as with my situation and why I was pulled from school & went for my G.E.D. as a result.

But why? This is my biggest issue with most Companies. A G.E.D. is the exact same thing as a Diploma, minus the length in gaining it. If anything, people who gain a G.E.D. could be seen in a more brilliant light, simply based on how quickly they can pass the tests to graduate.

Now I'm definately not saying I'm more brilliant than anyone, and I'm not saying there are people with Diploma's more brilliant than I. I'm simply saying making a decision, based on two things that are similar, except in "name", is yet another descriminating factor. No different than picking a male over a female, or a white person over a black person.

If I get a college education, and thus a degree in college, then I wouldn't care whether I got a regular diploma or a G.E.D. to begin with, because I'd no longer be judged accordingly off that. I'd be looked at, as being a college grad. then.

Having only a G.E.D. does actually bar you from getting certain jobs, but so does having just a regular diploma. Those jobs require you to have a college degree of some kind.

And I knew having a G.E.D. still allowed me to go to college. Due to my personal issues with school and Teachers in the past, was my only hang-up on why I never considered going until recently.

What "stigma" would that be? The theory of those who get G.E.D.'s aren't as equal as those who have regular diploma's?

I've actually proven to Companies, and Individuals alike that I can have the same amount of intelligence, if not more, than a regular diploma carrying grad.

The only "misunderstood" statement associated with G.E.D. grads is that they were lazy, and merely didn't want to go a full 4-years to get a "real" diploma. When that isn't always the case, as with my situation and why I was pulled from school & went for my G.E.D. as a result.

You're right, maybe having a G.E.D. rather than a Diploma and no other education shouldn't rule you out as a candidate for jobs. It's always good to hear someone out when they are a job candidate and, in your case, I hope you do make sure that your potential employers do hear you out. But, I think the question still remains of whether a significant portion of G.E.D. holders are in a situation similar to yours.

If I was hiring for a position, and someone with just a G.E.D. applied, I'd hear them out, as they might have a background similar to yours. However, you are an exception to the rule; more than likely, this person would end up being a poor job candidate. Most people that get G.E.D.s either have motivational issues or have trouble functioning socially. Now, this is not to say that they should be condemned for life. Rather, I would recommend that they either tough it out in either a bad job or community service for a year or two or go to Community/Junior College. Should their work ethic in these environments prove to be outstanding, then I would have no problem seriously considering them again for the job they originally applied for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back