• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Feminism in literature anaylisis ... sigh

Murfish

is losing his edge
Disclaimer: I believe in equality. I do not hate women.

The other day in my English class we were going over a few works when my teacher, who is a genius, talks about "feminist" interpretations of various novels and poems. Seriously? Is this necessary? Examples are as follows:

"Meeting at Night"/"Parting at Morning" are two partner poems by Browning. Both are pretty good, "Meeting at Night" has some great imagery. But apparently these are sexist. Reference to the "world of men" is supposedly trying to insinuate that women are inferior.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is one of the greatest novels ever. It is one of the precursors to the mainstream use psychology in novels. In fact, The Secret Sharer, also by Conrad, is one of the first novels to use the word psychology. But this masterpiece criticized for its characterization of women.

In the end I don't see the purpose of formulating these feminist interpretations when the pieces of literature were written long ago and are great no matter how you analyze them.

Discuss

I'm a girl, and I agree 100% with you!! It frusturates so me so much that sometimes these kinds of things get looked at as sexist because of how they talk about women, and yet there's so much literature out that that talks down on men, and yet isn't considerd sexist. Like back in March they had a Women's History presentation thing in my school for Women's History Month, and there was this horrible poem that was supposed to be really good where the woman in the poem kept trying to say that every man she sat down next to could be a man who beats his wife or was a rapist, and I was just sitting there like WTF you can't assume all men are horrible because that's wrong and hypocritical.

Flames Out
Dragon

I was hoping that there wouldn't be too much of a backlash.

part of the reason why I bring this up is because I am transferring out of my prep school and back to public school

Coming from a Kennedy fan, it doesn't surprise me that you like Shelly.
23m1uhf.gif

Flames Out
Dragon

You could drive a Mack truck through the gap in her front teeth (Melina).

Whats wrong with Kennedy?

Torrie Wilson in the sig??? Seriously Dragon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back