• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favourite WWE championship reign from 2000-2010

nbieclkl91

Quote the Raven, nevermore.
Well, the first decade of the 2000's is about to pass in a few days and I got to thinking. Which WWE Championship reign was my favourite out of the whole decade? Then it hit me, my favourite reign within the past 10 years was Edge's reign from July 3rd, 2006-September 17th, 2006. Here's why.

Edge won the WWE title from Rob Van Dam in a triple threat match also involving John Cena on the July 3rd, 2006 episode of Monday Night RAW.

This match sparked the restart of Edge's feud with Cena, and he lost by disqualification at Saturday Night's Main Event in order to retain the title.

Afterwards, a match was made for SummerSlam with the stipulation that if Edge got disqualified , he would lose the title. At SummerSlam, Edge retained the title by pinning Cena after he hit him in the back of the head with a pair of brass knuckles when the referee wasn't looking. The night after SummerSlam, Lita through John Cena's custom "spinner" belt into the Long Island Sound with Edge watching, who said it was the end of the "Cena Era". Edge then revealed his new "Rated R" version of the belt. Later that night, John Cena attacked Edge and tossed him into the Long Island Sound. The following week, Cena made a deal with Edge which stated that if Edge could defeat him in a match for the WWE Championship, he would sign a contract to move to SmackDown! Edge accepted, on the condition the match be a TLC match held at September's Unforgiven event in Edge's home town of Toronto. At the Unforgiven, Edge lost the championship after Cena FU'd him through two stacked tables from a ladder.

So by reading this you can obviously see that this was one of the most heated rivalries of the decade and really brought the WWE Title's prestige up with the size of the background of the fued. Edge even went as far as to attack John Cena's father in his own home. I think at one point in their match at Unforgiven, Edge was legitimately choked unconcious from the STFU. If that's true then HOLY SHIT! lol

Anyways, I want to hear which WWE championship reign you guys think was the best of the decade.

As much as I hate to say it...john cena's title reign was the best. he held the title for a while, and always entertained. he never backed down. i love how he successfully defended against the undefeated Umaga (R.I.P.) :worship:

One of the best reigns would have to be Batista's first title reign. He beat HHH at Wrestlemania and went on to beat him 2 more times right after that. Got traded to smackdown and put on some incredible matches with JBL and Eddie but was forced to vacate the title each defense better than the next.

My favorite WWE Title reign from 2000-2010 would have to be The Miz's current WWE Championship reign. On November 22, 2010 Miz cashed in his MITB contract on Randy Orton to win the title. Then, next week, he defeated Jerry Lawler in a TLC match to retain his title. Then, at TLC, he defeated Randy Orton in a Tables Match to retain his title. Next week, he's set to defend his title against John Morrison in a Falls Count Anywhere match. This has been the most contreversial WWE Title reign since I started watching WWE in July 2009, which is why it's my favorite.

John "Bradshaw" Layfield

Possibly my favorite title reign of the decade would have to go to JBL. One of the greatest heel WWE Championship reigns of the last decade and quite possibly of all time. The heat he drew was just phenomenal. People would order the Smackdown PPVs to see JBL lose the WWE Championship but he never did. The fans kept coming back because he won in a way that made them believe it was just a matter of time before he would lose the Championship. But yet, every week there he was, tearing the crowd a new one verbally and just getting under their skin. He was a very over heel.

I would go so far as to say that without Bradshaw there would likely be no John Cena, or at least the Cena we know today. Everyone knows that without a tremendous heel you can't have a tremendous face. I think beating JBL gave Cena the momentum he needed to lead this current era-- and what a better way then to beat a smug, jackass at the grandest stage of them all. JBL not only put on great feuds with Big Show, Kurt Angle, Undertaker and John Cena, he made each person he feuded with look great. A Nine month title reign isn't something to over look, especially when the WWE puts that much trust into you to deliver for that long period of time.

One of my favorite title reigns of the 2000's.

Well in that case I have to say Kurt Angle's first reign as champion. He went on to beat the Rock at No Mercy for the title. Defended it against the Undertaker, Stone Cold, went on to successfully defend it I believe in a 6 or 8 man man hell match with all top faces and heels. Granted just like JBL u couldn't believe at the end of the match how he would retain the title but he drew in so much heat I couldn't help but love it.

My favorite title reign was Chris Jericho's first time around. I am a HUGE Jerichoholic, and was the only one of my friends that thought Jericho would not only beat The Rock, but Stone Cold in the same night. If I remember right, one right after the other. Jericho was one of the last guys in WWE to actually earn there first title reign. And his matches, as the Champ were great.

My favorite WWF championship reign is Randy Orton's Age Of Orton, From oct 07 - apr 08
He first won the WWF tile from Triple H in a last man standing match. Then went on to beat Shawn Michaels twice back to back. He beat the re-debuting Chris Jericho, And the new babyface jumping from the mid-card to the main event in Jeff Hardy. Ok he got himself DQ against Cena, But when NOBODY thought he would retain against both Cena and Triple H at wrestlemanina HE DID. He lost it in a 6man tag match the month after, I like the way that when it came down to it he lost the title in a 6man tag rather then a babyface beating him for the title one on one. Which is a VERY rare case for a heel.

Honorable mentions go out to....
Triple H's 2000 reign.
Kurt Angles's 1st reign.
and J.B.L's reign.

Im going with HHHs 2nd WHC reign from Armageddon02 - Unforgiven 03 at the time i hated hhh and evolution soo much and watched week in and week out every monday night just waiting for someone to finally beat hhh but untill goldberg there was none. Looking back now what made it soo great "for me atleast" was just hoping and waiting for some one to take evolution down.

I think I have to go with Stone Cold Steve Austin from April 2001 - September 2001. Nothing crazy about it but he won it from the Rock at Wrestlemania 17 by turning heel and joining forces with Mr. McMahon. This match was just amazing and the electricity in the arena all match is unmatched. What came next were months of Stone Cold being a whiny, wussy suck up. Constantly hugging Vince. It was hillarious. Once Kurt Angle was brought into their little faction they made me laugh every Monday night. Playing the guitar, wearing those goofy badges, it was great stuff.

He defended against Benoit on Smackdown where he was german suplexed 10 times in a row!!! He had the good Triple threat match against Benoit and Jericho at KOTR. Then in July he turned on the WWE and joined the Alliance. At Summerslam he had an awesome match with kurt Angle where he got himself DQ'd. Then the next night on Raw, Angle kidnapped Austin, brought him to a bridge, blindfolded and told him if he didn't give him a rematch he was throwing him off the bridge. He made Auatin beg, and even made him cry (Austin was making fun of him for a while for crying at the Olympics) if you can youtube this I suggest it because it is hillarious.

He lost it to Angle at the PPV and won it back the next month but it was an awesome few months of matches, promos and backstage stuff.

Honorable mention goes to Cena from Set. 06 - Oct. 07. When would this reign had ended if he doesn't get hurt?!?! Boggles my mind sometimes. it was so cool to see it last so long.

From The Big Show’s first to the Miz’s first and current, my favorite WWE Championship Title reign was Chris Jericho’s. Just imagine if the Miz beat Triple H for the World Title and then later that night, the Miz goes on and beats John Cena for the WWE Title. That’s exactly how I felt when Jericho beat the Rock and Austin. The Title defenses / rematches were very entertaining. The run lasted enough to be memorable and stopped in time before it became boring and overdone. I’m actually a tad upset that I had to wait about 6 – 7 years before we saw another World Title on Jericho.

Ill come outta left field and roll with Triple H's reign throughout 2008 into 2009,when he was the man on SD, and basically was the main draw of the show. Good programs, good storylines, always damn good matches, and launched Jeff Hardy into being a legit megastar. Loved this old school purist run, and wish those days could come back.

I'll go with Brock Lesnar's final reign as WWE Champion. He epitomized what I believe a Heel Champion should be. Someone who didn't care what was going on, who was in his way, or even what happened because his actions. He became a time bomb that would explode if something happened. When I think of this, I remember his Bike Chain match with the Undertaker and the match with Hardcore Holly. Both just solidified his dominance. Then, WWE made it seem like he was still pretty dominant by Brock losing the title due to Goldberg. I feel if he had not left the WWE after Wrestlemania XX, then there could have been more reigns, but this is his best one really.

Ill come outta left field and roll with Triple H's reign throughout 2008 into 2009,when he was the man on SD, and basically was the main draw of the show. Good programs, good storylines, always damn good matches, and launched Jeff Hardy into being a legit megastar. Loved this old school purist run, and wish those days could come back.

Aha this would've been my second choice. I loved see Triple H and the WWE Title on SD!. The scramble match between HHH, Hardy, MVP, Benjamin and Kendrick was actually one of my favourite scramble matches lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back