Best Title Reign - John Cena

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
Welcome back, it's been a while since I last done one of these, so let's see if I can remember how it goes. I list title reigns of a wrestler, you choose your favourite.

This time, it's John Cena's turn.

Cena's first title reign began at WM21 when he defeated John Bradshaw Layfield. Cena then retained against JBL at Judgement Day in an I Quit match. After being drafted to Raw, he fueded with Chris Jericho until he was fired by Eric Bischoff. He then fueded with Kurt Angle, defeating him at Unforgiven and Survivor Series. This reign came to an end at New Year's Revolution. After successfully retaining in the Elimination Chamber match, Edge cashed in his Money in The Bank to win the title.

Cena won the title back three weeks later at Royal Rumble from Edge. He held onto this title for over four months before finally losing to Rob van Dam at One Night Stand.

Cena's third title reign started when he defeated Edge in a TLC match at Unforgiven. Following this win, he was placed into a cross-promotional fued against King Booker (SD Champ) and Big Show (ECW Champ), leadting to a Triple Threat match at Cyber Sunday. Booker won the match, however only his title was on the line. After this,Cena entered a fued with Umaga, defeating him at New Year's Revolution, then again in a Last Man Standing match at Royal Rumble.
Cena then won the Tag Titles with Shawn Michaels. The two faced off for Cena's title at WM23, with Cena retaining. The following Raw, HBK cost his team the Tag Titles, leading to a brief fued between the two. Cena was then challenged by the Great Khali, who he defeated at Judgement Day and again at One Night Stand.
Cena's next challenger was Randy Orton. Cena was able to retain his title in matches against Orton at Survivor Series and again at Unforgiven.
Cena had to vacate the title, thus ending his reign of 380 days due to injury.

After returning from injury, Cena regained the title from Chris Jericho at Survivor Series. He then retained against Jericho at Armageddon. He was then defeated by Edge in an Elimination Chamber match at No Way Out.

Title reign number five began at WMXV in a Triple Threat match featuring Edge and Big Show. He would only hold this title for three weeks though, as he lost in a Last Man Standing match to Edge at Backlash, because of interference from Big Show.

Cena's next title reign came when he defeated Randy Orton in an I Quit match at Breaking Point. This reign also lasted only three weeks, ending at Hell in A Cell, where he dropped the title back to Orton.

Cena would regain the title from Orton in an Iron Man match at Bragging Rights. This reign was ended by Sheamus 7 weeks lates at TLC in a Tables match.

At Elimination Chamber, Cena regaioned the belt (in a match also featuring HHH, Orton, Ted DiBiase, Kofi Kingston and Sheamus) This reign would be one of the shortest reigns in WWE history, as immediatley after the match, he was challenged, and defeated, by Batista.

Cena's final reign (so far) began at WM26, where he defeated Batista. He then retained in a Last Man Standing match at Extreme Rules, then again in an I Quit match at Over The Limit. He lost the title to Sheamus at Fatal 4 Way, in a match also featuring Edge and Orton.

There is the list. Take your pick. (I expect almost everybody will pick his 380 day reign, but I chose to do this thread to see when people became 'sick of Cena', because, since this reign, and being dubbed 'Super Cena' by the IWC, I thought it was interesting how NONE of his reigns have lasted over 3 months)

I was a fan oh his one year title run because WWE was really low on main eventers in 2007 and Cena really carried the company

I haven't enjoyed any of John Cena's World Title reigns as since he's been in the Main Event scene his gimmick has gotten staler and staler and his matches more and more predictable, going over greats he should never in a million years be in the same ring as. Now I don't hate the guy, he's one of the most dedicated stars in the business and he seems to me like a really good guy, and is certainly a role-model for children. His predictable, robotic style has ruined main event after main event for me though. I did however enjoy his first United States Championship run.

I don't think Cena has had that great run as champion. His 2006-2007 13 month title run was fairly good and done fairly well, WWE were low on main eventers and what they give Cena, Cena worked well with but as a whole I honestly don't think he's a had that defining title run that is memorable yet. WWE should talk about his 13 month title run more, to give it some kind of credit, but that is just my opinion.

I would say his his 2nd title run, but other than the TLC match with Edge, it wasn't that great. I guess I would have to choose his first title run. This was when I was high as the sky on Cena. To me, Cena and JBL put on some good matches with a lot of emotion, but it was the best when he fought Y2J. I loved that feud because it was set up so well and it brought the best out of both characters. Then to top this reign off, it ended with Edge's first major title and the first time a MITB briefcase was cashed in. Really well written and it set up a fantastic feud in Cena vs. Edge.

Well i would have to say his third title run,the 380 day title run. Because, that was the only time i was actually rooting for Cena was during that feud with edge when he beat him at unforgiven. I also got very sick of Cena very fast after that title win at unforgiven though. But, after his injury and the end of that title reign Orton ended up with the belt which is the biggest reason why i liked his third title run.

I would say his first title reign was the best. I watched him since he was drafted to Raw. His feud with Chris Jericho was good and after Jericho was 'fired' after the Loser Leaves Raw for the WWE Championship the night after Summer Slam. After the feud with Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle was next in the title picture. I was expecting Kurt Angle to get the win at each PPV, but some how, John Cena retained. When it came to the Elimination Chamber, I thought Kurt Angle was going to win it but lost again. At this point, I totally forgot about Edge having Money in the Bank and Edge cashed in on Cena and won the WWE Championship. That reign was the start of two careers that we have today. Edge became the Ultimate Oppertunist and Rated R Superstar, and Cena slowly became "Super Cena" and the Face of the Company.

I was his fan the year he was in baltimore as a tweener/heel and had that 'battle' rap with the guy in the crowd. I was looking back and really have to say, I DID like Cena a whole lot. And his push reminds me of the Miz and I hope that doesn't end with him turning superface,but I am pretty sure that it will.

fuck u stay on topic.

his 2nd title reign is his best i think i enjoyed all his title bouts even the tlc with edge and i too got tired of cena after this point.

My favorite John Cena title reign was his year long reign (his third WWE title reign). Unfortunately the end of this reign was pretty shitty with Cena having to relinquish it due to injury but it was still a great reign non-the-less. It started off at Unforgiven 2006 where Cena defeated Edge in a TLC match to win back the title. After his feud with Edge, Cena then began a feud with Umaga over the title and put on two great matches with him. Everyone seems to remember their classic encounter at Royal Rumble 2007 in a Last Man Standing match. Which was among one of the best matches of 2007.

After this he began a rivalry with Shawn Michaels leading up to WrestleMania. At the event in the main event the two put on the best match of the night and it was a great way to cap off that show. A few weeks later these two would put on another hell of a match that is famous for nearly going an hour long. After this rivalry was wrapped up John Cena began a feud with The Great Khali and put on the two best matches in Khali's career at Judgment Day and One Night Stand. He then had a great match with Bobby Lashley a month after his feud with Khali ended.

His final feud was turning out be a a great one with Randy Orton. They had their first encounter at SummerSlam 2007 in a main event match that practically saved the show. They continued feuding to the point where Orton made it very personal and actually punted Cena's father in the head. Cena and Orton met once again at Unforgiven 2007 where the match had a no finish, but the entertaining part was seeing Cena's dad punt Orton. The two were feuding to an eventual Last Man Standing match at No Mercy 2007 but Cena got injured and relinquished his belt and Orton ended up walking away with the belt that night.

The year long reign was definitely my favorite world title reign John Cena has had since his run in the main event. It had many great matches, was a very solid and strong title reign and it made for a very interesting year. By far the best title reign WWE has given him.

lol i find it funny how most say there, fav. cena reign was his 3rd, when the iwc and most retired cena bashers hated cena the most. Anyways i would have to say his first one because i was huge on cena in them days and his feud with y2j, christain, angle and bishoff were really great and i really didnt want to see him lose and the way he lost was so heartbreaking too and no one saw it coming.

For me it would have be his 3rd reign...AKA his longest reign...

Why?
It was long...he carried the company on his back...his reign was good, he had some interesting feuds and matches..The first feud IMO was just thrown together having all 3 champions in the ring together..but after that it went really good..During the end of 2006, I would have liked to see him defend it rather than having tag matches e.g. at Survivor Series and at Armageddon...he also then ended Umaga's undefeated streak..we all wanted Umaga to win I think, but because we knew Cena had the title, Umaga's streak would come to and end eventually and it did...He really pushed the monster into the main event, well there wasn't many TBH on Raw and so he defeated him again to put the icing on the cake and bury Umaga further in a last man standing match at Royal Rumble..His feud with Shawn Michaels really stood out the most to me, although HBK carried Cena through their matches and it would have been awesome to see HBK win the title...we knew HBK didn't need the title, then their 60 min long match also was really good...His feud with Khali wasn't all good, but I like the fact that Khali beat Cena in a non title match...but very unbelievable that Cena defeated Khali using a submission hold :wtf:...his fued with Lashley was OKAY and then he ended the hs reign with a feud with Orton...

I think the reign could hae been better, had there been better contenders!! The ones he took on wern't really main event matierial apart from HBK...

But this reign was his best...although he never defended it at some ppv's..

I would have to go with his first reign. I can't stand Cena whatsoever, but you can't deny that his i quit match with JBL at Judgement Day was amazing. His win at Wrestlemania started his one good reign. Then came super-Cena. If he wasn't already there by Judgement Day.

Like most I like his first and third. My choice for his best reign would be his third reign. The length of the reign is what stands out the most. For the past twelve years or so one of my biggest complaints has been how frequently the title changes hands. It was so nice to see a year long title reign again. There hadn’t been a year long reign since Diesel held the title in 1995 (I know he was one week short of a year, but close enough). Cena successfully defended the title against a lot of different styles during this reign. He defended against Umaga, HBK, Khali, Lashley, and Orton in singles matches and also had some successful defenses in four way and five way matches. The length and quality of opposition make Cena’s third reign his best.

It has to be his third reign. The reign might be the most sucessful in the past decade. Cena really accomplish everything while holding the title at the time. He put on good matches against opponents of different styles such as Umaga, Orton, Edge, HBK, Khali, and Lashley. He was able to defend the title in numerous different circumstances whether it was a triple threat, last man standing, submission, fatal four way, the ultra-rare five way, etc. He had remembrable fueds with HBK and Orton. It propelled him further into the position that he is today. This reign helped Cena become known as one of the top and most truste performers in the WWE.

It's got to be the 380 day reign just for the sheer magnitude of it. He had a lot of good feuds and any time a belt is held that long it's fun to watch especially now since it's so rare to see someone hold any belt that long, let alone the World Championship. It did get pretty boring to a point though, seeing him win over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back