Best title reign - HHH

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
Hello all and welcome to a new series of threads that I will be bringing to you over the next few weeks.
With each thread I will detail the Heavyweight title reigns of a WWE wrestler (length of reign, notable fueds etc)

Your job is simple, tell me which is your favourite and why.

I was trying to decide who to start with, but ended up settling on the person who has held more heavyweight titles in WWE than anyone else....... HHH. So, lets take a look at his reigns.

HHH first title reign started on 23rd August 1999, winning the title from Mankind in a match featuring Shane McMahon as the guest referee. He wouls lose this title 22 days later, on 14th September to Vince McMahon.

Vince would go on to vacate the title a few days later, setting up a '6 pack challenge' at Unforgiven, featuring HHH, Rock, Big Show, Mankind, Kane and the British Bulldog. HHH would win this match and successfully defend his title at No Mercy against Stone Cold Steve Austin before losing it to Big Show at Survivor Series.

HHH then defeated Big Show to regain his title on 3rd January. He retained his title against Cactus Jack at No Way Out in a Hell in a Cell match that saw Foley have to retire from wrestling. This led to a match at WrestleMania 16 against the Rock who he defeated. HHH would lose the rematch though at Backlash.

HHH regained the title from the Rock only three weeks later in an Iron Man match at Judgement Day with Shawn Michaels as guest referee (a match that also say the debut of the 'American Bad-Ass gimmick of the Undertaker, who interfered, costing the Rock the match) This reign lasted just over a month as HHH (with Vince and Shane McMahon) lost the title to the Rock (with Undertaker and Kane) when he pinned Vince McMahon.

HHH then suffered an 8 month lay off due to a torn quadracep muscle. He returned by winning the Royal Rumble, leading to a match for the Undisputed Title against Chris Jericho at WM X8. This reign also only lasted a month, as he lost the title to Hulk Hogan at Backlash.

Eric Bischoff awarded HHH his sixth Heavyweight title on 2nd September 2002. He would hold this title for over two months defeating RVD at Unforgiven, then Kane at No Mercy before losing to Shawn Michaels in the first ever Elimination Chamber match (also featuring Booker T, Kane, RVD and Jericho).

Title number 7 from HBK in a 3 Stages of Hell Match at Armageddon. This would be the start of his longest title reign (280 days), in part due to help from members of Evolution. He eventually lost the title to Goldberg at Unforgiven.

HHH regained the title from Goldberg in a Triple Threat match also featuring Kane at Armageddon. He would later retain the title due to a double count-out in a Last Man Standing match against Shawn Michaels at Royal Rumble, but would lose the title at WM 20 in a Triple Threat match to Chris Benoit (also featuring HBK).

HHH would win his next title from former Evolution member Randy Orton at Unforgiven. This reign would end with the title being declared vacant after a match between HHH, Edge and Benoit.

As a result of the vacant title, an Elimination Chamber match (involving HHH, Orton, Jericho, Edge Beniot and Evolution member Batista) was arranged to determine the next champion. HHH would defeat Randy Orton for his tenth title reign. Batista then won the Royal Rumble and went on to defeat HHH at WM 21.

This next title reign failed to last a single day. Randy Orton had been awarded the title after John Cena had to vacate the title due to injury. HHH defeated Orton for the title. He would go on to defeat Umaga before losing a Last Man Standing match to Orton later the same night.

HHH won his next title from Orton at Backlash in a Fatal 4 Way elimination match also featuring JBL and John Cena. HHH successfully defended against Orton twice, in a Steel Cage match at Judgement Day, then in a Last Man Standing match at One Night Stand. After this, HHH would be drafted to SmackDown where he would defend his title against Edge, Great Khali and Jeff Hardy before losing to Edge at Survivor Series.

HHH would then win his final title (so far) in another Elimination Chamber match, featuring Edge, Hardy, Kozlov, Big Show and Undertaker. He was drafted to Raw, and would resume his earlier fued with Randy Orton, defeating him at WM 25 before losing the title to Orton at Backlash.

So, there you have a brief summary of each of his reigns. Which did you enjoy the most, and why?

I enjoyed #7 the most. I personally love long heel title reigns (ie Hollywood Hogan, JBL). I know it made HHH very unpopular, and caused people to point to backstage politics and marrying into the top of the business, but he played off of it really well. His obsession with the big gold belt single-handedly made the WHC prestigious, which I wasn't sure would happen when Bischoff introduced the belt in 2002. Lastly, it helped cement Evolution as one of WWE's greatest stables and HHH as the greatest heel of all time IMO.

For me it's close, because Triple H has some really awesome title reigns in his illustrious career. I actually don't think the reigns were the best part either. Say what you will about Triple H never putting other guys over (it's true, don't worry). But whenever he lost the belt, it was a big deal. He gave the title to Goldberg after his longest reign. He dropped the belt to Benoit pushing him into the main event. He gave Batista and Randy Orton their careers as champions... So for me the loss of the title was actually more important than the reign as champion.

I think I'm going to have to go with his shorter reign from Armageddon to Wrestlemania 20. He had an epic feud with Shawn Michaels and eventually had my favorite Wrestlemania match of all time with HBK and Chris Benoit. In my opinion, that was the peak of his dominance, and dropping the belt at Mania was a huge deal.

My second favorite would have to be the 2003 reign that lasted forever... That was the Evolution era title reign, and it was just pure dominance.

to me personally i loved his longest title reign (#7) I think it was at that time Triple H really shined as a heel and proved he could hold the torch, at that time i was still relatively young and i remember i would literally watch PPV's to see who would beat Triple H, i literally hated that man because he was champion so long and he did such a great job as a heel reminding everybody that he has beaten everybody even tho practically every match was a dirty win. For the fact i got so heated makes him a great heel he carried Raw for almost a year with Evolution and helped develop Orton and Batista into the stars they would become, so to me hands down title reign # 7.

Number 7, HHH in Evolution was amazing. And people talk about his back stage politics, and yet his longest title reign was 280 days, and in order to be a 13 time world champ you have to have lost it a minimum of 12 times!!! And on account of the fact he is no longer champ then he lost it 13 times....anyway number 7 from the losing of the title to Shawn to their feud and him winning it back,and then dominating wrestling with Evolution, to the whole feud with Goldberg. HHH is an was AWESOME (no bias here :))

Number 6 and 7 runs where the most ones I enjoyed, but I would go with the seventh. The simple reason is that this reign helped build 2 of the 4 top guys in the last 3-4 years. Other than that, it gave Goldberg a long awaited revenge on Triple H. Also, never forget how he got the belt. Arguably goes into the best matches of the history, The three stages of hell against shawn, the image of the burnt weapon can't be erased from my head

i have 2 I cant pick between these 2 the first was when he was with Evolution I love the long heel title reigns espically for Trips because he's such a Great heel. And my other one was his 12th reign I thought he had good matches with Orton espically the Last Man Standing Match where Orton broke his Collar bone I think and then he went to SD! and I thought he had some good matches he even made Khali look good in there match and he had some good matches with Jeff. I loved the fued with him and Edge

This led to a match at WrestleMania 16 against the Rock who he defeated. HHH would lose the rematch though at Backlash.

HHH regained the title from the Rock only three weeks later in an Iron Man match at Judgement Day with Shawn Michaels as guest referee (a match that also say the debut of the 'American Bad-Ass gimmick of the Undertaker, who interfered, costing the Rock the match) This reign lasted just over a month as HHH (with Vince and Shane McMahon) lost the title to the Rock (with Undertaker and Kane) when he pinned Vince McMahon.

Title number 7 from HBK in a 3 Stages of Hell Match at Armageddon. This would be the start of his longest title reign (280 days), in part due to help from members of Evolution. He eventually lost the title to Goldberg at Unforgiven.

The whole Rock feud i love i just look at a one huge run as every month they passed the title back and forth but i loved it and the iron man match was just great.

But if i had to pick just ONE title run it is number 7 just the sheer length of time and being the leader of Evolution made it great. My favorite moment from Evolution was at the end of Armageddon(or whatever that December PPV was called) with all 4 having belts and standing on the ramp together.:worship:

I pretty much enjoyed all of his title reigns, especially as heel. The Rock/HHH feud was probably the most entertaining and most successful feud in WWE/WWF history. HHH had the belt for the most part and Rock was great going after it. Both guys gave it their all and damn, I miss those days.

His earlier title reigns were fine but I hated the newer ones, I started getting sick of seeing him as champion and I wanted someone fresh in the mix.

His earlier title reigns were fine but I hated the newer ones, I started getting sick of seeing him as champion and I wanted someone fresh in the mix.

Is that not the case with EVERYONE though? Hogan in WCW, HHH, Cena, Edge, ect..

For me, it would be the first title run. Right after turning his back on DX, joining up with the corporate ministry, taking Rock's place as the "corporate champion"
Just set up a great feud with 2 of my favorite of all time.

Great thread idea too

Hello all and welcome to a new series of threads that I will be bringing to you over the next few weeks.
With each thread I will detail the Heavyweight title reigns of a WWE wrestler (length of reign, notable fueds etc)

Your job is simple, tell me which is your favourite and why.

This is a nice idea for a thread. It will be a good series.

So my favorite HHH title reign was #12. The 2008 WWE title reign he started at Backlash by beating Orton. I like this one over his 280-day reign with Evolution because HHH was able to keep it for over 7 months as a face and on his own. And is this title reign, he had great wins; he successfully defended it sgainst Orton twice and survived a Championship Scramble with his gold at Unforgiven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back