Favorite Set

Jeff

Pre-Show Stalwart
So I was thinking about how cool it would be if the WWE had retro set nights. Like how sports teams were retro jerseys from time to time. What if Smackdown for one night went back to the original set, original logo etc.

1999_WWF_Smackdown_%28WWE%29.jpg

Or Raw for one night used the WCW Nitro Set and the Nitro logos and what not.

0.jpg

I think it would be a cool concept, anyways the question I have for you guys is what was your favorite retro set. It could of been a PPV, a TV show, whatever. If you could find a photo post it cause it would be a ton of fun to see them all.

My favorite has to be the first Smackdown one. The one I posted above. I always found it so different that still today strikes me as one of the best sets they have ever made. The design at least for me was very unique and different then anything I have seen before.

What are your favorite sets?

I wouldn't mind having a retro night. I loved the original smackdown set. I wouldn't mind seeing the summerslam 2001 (I think it was used in 2000 and 2002 also). I loved that set. If the nxt group grows after season 2 I think like the invasion part of summerslam 2001 where they had separate sides to come out on. They could use that and have the wwe come out on one side and nxt on the other.

I Highly Doubt that Mr.McMahon would ever do such a thing as to turn back to these older sets, and I know for sure that he would NEVER bring back the Nitro set on RAW. WWE's target audience is the kids and it would make no sense from their point of veiw considering the fact that most of them were born around the year 2000. But this does bring up something that I have been thinking about for quite a while. WWE should infact have different stages for all three different shows. I mean, while watching WWE TV it's really lame seeing the same set, but just in differnt colors. I would even go to the extent of calling it a lazy decison of WWE to switch to the current "HD" stage set-up. I say keep the HD set for RAW and make new sets for SmackDown and NXT. And by the way here is a picture of the SmackDown fist set.
o7j7tz.jpg

The fist set was awesome too. I understand your point but I don't think that would turn away kids from the WWE. MLB, NBA, NFL they all do Retro Jersey games and they are even older. I think it would be a great gimmick to get people to tune into Raw. However I highly doubt it would ever happen. We can dream though.

The one set I've always thought was awesome is the King of the Ring 2001(I think) set where the wrestlers walked out under a giant electric chair. It looked so awesome and had so much potential to be used for various spots(I don't think it was though).

I also really liked the old Halloween Havok set, used around 98,99 I think, where the top of the ramp was a mock graveyard. Kind of chessy and lame, but at the same time kind of cool. I'd search for a picture of it but I really can't be bothered.

I think my favourite set that they have used in the past is the “Fist” I literally have no idea where it came from but it was pretty cool. I remember when it first debuted on Smackdown. For some strange reason, it just seemed to fit the show and the general attitude of the show at the time. It wasn’t big and it wasn’t fancy but it was certainly interesting enough to warrant some discussion. I think, of the TV shows, that is definitely my favourite.

However, the set that the WWE use just now is pretty nice too. Of course it is only for the use of HD and that it is pretty bland when you see it on TV. However, I have been right next to the WWE set and I can tell you that it is one of the most grand sets that they have ever used, It is a beautiful thing but the problem is that they use it for everything, don’t they? They use it for Raw, Smackdown, NXT, Superstars and all of the PPV’s too. It is overused and I really would prefer to see them change it for some of the shows.

However, I don’t think they will ever go as basic as the shows that the sets they have used in the past, including the first set. The WWE is moving along with the technology and although I would like to see a retro set at some point in the future, it is not likely to happen unless the WWE are doing a tribute show or something similar.

You want to talk about old sets. I wish they went back to their early 90's sets. No entrance ramp...just an isle way. Then put the commentators back up in the arena like they used to during the Jesse Ventura days and away from the ring. It would look weird to the new audience...but would bring back great memories for me. :)

Of course I'm not talking about Smackdown...just WWE sets in general.

I would like to see a retro set at some point in the future, it is not likely to happen unless the WWE are doing a tribute show or something similar.

Well that's what I meant. I LOVE the new sets and wouldn't want them to get rid of them but it would be cool to do a like Tribute to Smackdown show and have a old set or something cool like that. I mean Smackdown is coming up on it's 600's show in about a year. It would be cool to maybe have a old set for the 600th episode.

I like the idea. It could be fun and there are so many sets you could use. Naturally the Smackdown fist would be fun, and I'd also love to see the kind of junkyard set they used one year for the Royal Rumble (I forget which one. Sorry.)

However, my vote would be to go earlier, way earlier to WWF days, as early as the type of set they had in the early eighties with the horribly bright and gaudy colors. I'd love to see the modern wrestlers fighting in this exceedingly retro setting.

I really like the current set, and I've never seen it in HD. It just adds to the production value. Plus I like the little touches, like the lower screens that are at ground level. Just looks cool.

But as for a one-off set, I had the privilege of attending Wrestlemania XXIV and seeing that set st the Citrus Bowl was phenomenal. It was just a giant tower that was at least as high as the nosebleeds and made the pyro/fire/fireworks look even better. It really added to the big-time feel of the event. The giant tarp over the ring looked amazing as well, and almost made up for the fact that there was a constant threat of being rained on. The fact that they made a lesser version of the tarp for Wrestlemania 26 was kind of a bummer. Leave my nostalgia alone!

So i just wanted to bring this post back to attention that I created back in June. Thought it was pretty cool that WWE did a Old School night on Monday. Figured I would bring this question back in play.

Instead of how cool it would be, the new question is WHAT should be the next Retro night. I would love to see Retro Nitro, which seems very well may happen, as well as a Retro Smackdown night.

One of my favorite sets was the metal cross bars for the entrance way and the colorful lights and what have you. I loved the raw look of it, no pun intended. Very cool like.

I hate almost all of the Smackdown! sets. I hate the color blue for lighting and whatnot, so I can't stand them.

Nonetheless, I also liked the last REAL WCW set, as well.

I liked the original Smackdown set and seeing an "oldschool" Smackdown could be fun. Kind of like the oldschool Raw. However my favorite was the Fist on Smackdown. It has been said before in other posts, but it was probably my favorite Smackdown set. It was so random, yet it worked so well. Something about it. It was just so.... cool, for lack of a better word. I doubt we will ever see the Fist's set return though. We would be more likely to see the original Smackdown set return if they did an oldschool Smackdown, which would also make for a good show because it was a good looking set and the first one they used for Smackdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back