• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Retro Trunks for Retro Raw

CrunKSinatrA

Pre-Show Stalwart
I think a cool change for the future of Retro Raws would be Retro themed costumes for the current talent.

John Cena vs Big Show could headline as a tribute match to Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant. For Retro Raw only, Big Show could bring back the one shoulder strap singlet. And John Cena could still wear his jean shorts but have a yellow and red arm bands.

It doesn't even necessarily need to be a tribute match. Just a theme to the wrestlers' trunks would be cool enough.

HHH could come out while wearing a Ric Flair robe and a tar heel blue color scheme to his regular trunks.

The Rhodes Brothers could wear polka dot trunks like Dusty. I know the polka dots are considered humiliating. But we know Goldust once considered getting breast implants and we know about his messy divorce from Terri Runnels. Wearing polka dots can't even be considered a humiliation at this point.

Dolph Ziggler could take his spot monkey reputation to another level by wearing the old Mankind mask and have a hardcore match.

Or the current talent can reference their old gimmicks for one night only.

Daniel Bryan would be billed as "The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson.

Alberto Del Rio could bring back the Dos Caras Jr. mask.

Sin Cara could wear his old Mistico mask.

I would be happy if all this was just DLC for the next WWE video game.

I like the idea of having special gear for throwback shows, but I don't think the guys should be wearing homage stuff because that takes you out of the story line too much, IMO. I think it would be okay though if they were wearing old gear (if they had been there a while) like Cena could wear the backwards hat, basketball jersey, and the chain with the padlock on it. Or Jack Swagger could wear his old American flag singlet, Goldust with his older costume and a robe, etc. Or have the guys wear whatever their first T-shirt was, stuff like that.

Ziggler n spirit squad get up mysterio w/his ?mark mask and tights punk n his ses get up or even a gathering t shirt kane n his original mask and outfit. Fun idea and theme da possibilities r endless.

This wouldn't work as a concept as the guys buy their own attire. You wouldn't expect them all to buy new gear for one night (although many do for Mania) of RAW. Likewise to see Triple H as Hunter Hearst Helmsley or Taker back as the Biker would be too seismic a shift in their character for just one night.

Big Show has done this kind of thing before, aping Hogan as part of an angle and nice little touches like Punk wearing Savage trunks when he died, those are the kind of things that this should be for rather than part of Old School RAW. I thought they missed an opportunity to announce a Hall Of Famer last night as well, especally Savage.

Seeing the old timers is one thing, making them try and fit into what they wore 20 years ago isn't gonna wash... Jake last night showed that, he looked good - but was not in shape...

I like the idea of them wearing their old ring gear or wearing others' in tribute. I wish some of them would use their old themes during retro episodes. I'd really like to one day see Triple H and Stephanie once again come to the ring together while "My Time" is playing (in homage to their McMahon/Helmsley faction days).

tumblr_lmykfiAmeD1qgwrxro1_1280.png

It would be GREAT to add a twist to Old School Raw if most guys on the roster led by John Cena came out to the ring in their "Throwback Jerseys" or in everyone elses case some of their initial ring attire or original music/Titantron. That would add a great touch to the show.

Lets also have "Old School" vs "New School" matches that evolve storylines. Watching Too Cool & Rikishi vs. 3MB was awesome, but how much cooler would it have been if it were Too Cool & Rikishi vs. The Shield leading to a Shield beat down on Rikishi with The Usos making the SAVE! Following week Rikishi & The Usos vs The Shield sounds like a main event to me.

I'm okay with the idea of some of the wrestlers wearing their old ring gear for a night (as long as its their own and not someone else's) and using old entrance theme songs , as it would be pretty cool to see the wrestlers in their old avatar again...
But referring them by their old / real / other promotion names is a little too far, in my opinion. It obstructs continuity and can hamper their current character. For example, right now Daniel Bryan is in this storyline with the Wyatt Family and has become Daniel Wyatt. Now if all of a sudden, he gets referred to as "The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson, it would be really odd and unnecessary. Hell, many WWE fans don't even know about this name and title of his. Similarly, if Bray Wyatt gets referred to as Husky Harris or Fandango as Johnny Curtis or Axel as McGilicutty, it would not be a positive move.
Having said that, if John Cena, CM Punk or Randy Orton bring their old entrance themes back for a night, or if we get to see a one-night-only Nexus reunion (minus Wyatt), things like that would be damn awesome.

Im okay with the idea of the Old retro trunks for one night only.. But the old schoolers some of them are not quite in the shape they used to be in,hell its impossible to be in the kind of shape they were once in. Jake the Snake,looked great last night he really did,but looked like he struggled putting Damien on Ambrose.. I also be fine if ala Cena,wore his throwback jerseys that part of his gimmick i do miss..

Old school gear and intro music for one night is a great idea!!

Yes, the old control top briefs the wrestlers wore back in the day would have been sweet, just kidding. But an old school gimmick match would have been cool, Have some people dress like the Bushwhackers, Big T dressed as Tugboat, some one deseed as Brother Bruti would have been entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back