• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is the set the problem???

Do you agree

• Yes, I feel where your going it's just stale now

• No,your just unneccsarly bitching as always

• Yes, but not because I feel you, but because I hate the damn thing

• No, you make a good point but I like the set

• Torch between Yes and No

Results are only viewable after voting.

That N Word

Actively evolving
I was noticing how excited I was when The Dudley's returned,even though it wasn't a super epic moment and I have been trying to figure it out for weeks. Then I found myself tuning out of their matches and their one of my favorite teams of all-time and I have been trying to figure it out.

Then there was Neville. That was my dude in NXT, but soon as he came to the main roster he just became boring to me. Same with Rob Van Dam when he returned to WWE. And I have been wondering if it's because of the set.

The reason why I say that is because NXT is so great to watch and it may be because of the way the set it just simple and not overdone. And also it doesn't have such a super long entrance ramp.

I know we may never get a Raw is War set again, but it's time for a complete re-design in the set IMO. If it needs to be fancy, just make it like the NXT Brooklyn set or something. But me personally misses the old classic giant titantron look instead of the extra fancy HD Universal set. It's becoming way too much now and unneccesary.

One reason why they need a new set design is because this is a new era. Every era has their own unique set.

• Black and White (no-race intended lol) era didn't have a set
  • Golden Era had the Colleseum set
  • New Generation had the big RAW logo and big titantron set
  • Attitude Era had the big titantron,WWF card logo and the Olvatron look.
  • Ruthless Agression Era had the big fist look on SD! and electronic set on Raw
  • PG Era had the Universal/HD set
  • Reality/Poilitics Era need a new set to call their own and a complete redesign period.

But with me it has made it hard to watch as of late. Only real exciting moments this Summer was Taker's return and his great match with Lesnar and Braun Strowman's debut. And I think the set is getting to me.

Some would say "this is just the IWC bitching about little stuff." But i'm not even that type of cat, I'm usually the first to defend the WWE. But it's a new era slowly starting before are eyes. It has a new logo and format with that so (check), It has it's new Woman's wrestlers so (check),It has a new top heel so (check), the legends including Cena and Orton are slowly stepping out of the spotlight so (check). Which means two things are left, a rebrand and the crowning of the next face (as in top babyface) of the WWE.

I don't like the set either, but I wouldn't blame it for you not enjoying WWE as of late. I personally think WWE's getting better. Rollins is still champion, the Dudleyz returned, New Day is just awesome, Braun Strowman looks good, Sting returned, Kevin Owens is regaining his momentum (sorta). Again, WWE has their problems, but I wouldn't say the set is the reason for those problems.

I think it always comes down to the in-ring and the performers but yeah, I'm not a fan of the set and I must agree, the NXT brooklyn set looked fantastic.

A simple but smart looking set would be perfect, less of this digital crap

The set is used because it keeps production costs down but it is bland and stale and WWE need something new to make the show feel fresher, however it is not responsible for making moments seem less great. On your point with the ramp length there is nothing they can do about it in these big arenas, NXT at full sail is in a small building and therefore the ramp is short but in outdoor stadiums, concert venues or indoor sports arenas they are far bigger and therefore the entrance ramp is not long by design but because it has to be.

Summary - Set needs freshening but not the biggest problem they have and not lessening moments

Wwe should create a new look for Raw and Ppvs but wasn't the set one of the cut backs wwe made 2-3 years ago when the network was failing(and Linda's campaign)? I don't know if they have bounced back from that but if they haven't I don't see the set being changed any time soon. Though I agree with you that the set needs changing its not the reason for your lack of interest in the dudleys matches.

I was excited about the return of the Dudleys and even though I thought they should've held out on the New Day vs dudleys match for later, I was excited to see it.......But I couldn't sit past 2 minutes of that match it was like they were just going through the motions. I kept comparing the match to the matches they had in TNA with The Wolves, Hardys, and BeerMoney and to my remembrance none was as slow and boring as the Dudleys match with New Day(and PTP on Smackdown) was. During the match with New Day the dudleys threw Kofi and E out and then just played to the crowd......Then on Smackdown The dudleys and PTP fought for 4 minutes and then both teams randomly got in each other faces and started arguing???...I really didn't understand this. The match was already slow and it was obvious the fans weren't into it(B.Ray tried to hype of the crowd but to little reaction) so why do a spot like that?

With Neville I think its more of in NXT he was used as a top guy where as on Raw he's just being used as the popular high flyer now that Kofi is a heel.( I wouldn't be surprise they start marketing those capes he wears)
And RVD how could you get interested in him when he feuded with Del Rio during his entire time with no story built.

The set never bothered me... The whole mini-tron on the apron was unnecessary. Not sure why they added that shit.

Eh, I had to go with the 2nd option. Everything from the wrestlers to the writers to the executives to the commentators to the audience itself gets regularly bitched about, so the whole thing about the set just seems to be par for the course. If it's something as generally irrelevant as the set that's keeping you from enjoying WWE....sorry, but it just strikes me as a great example of nitpicking. Vince's paranoia on John Cena looking weak, chaotic decision making, logic holes big enough to fly a jet through while not caring that they're there, etc.; to me, these are reasons to gripe.

It takes away a lot.
It never felt the same after the Smackdown fist was gone. The crooked RAW titantron was removed. Each show had their own feeling.
Whie Heat and Velocity used RAW template, they used another color and made it their own.
RAW felt like RAW and it made each set unique.
Each PPV always looked like something new. It was cool to see. It was another part of the show.
While this looks clean and im sure saves them a lot of money....it makes everything bland.

Smackdown, RAW, PPV's, Superstars, pre show they all look thesame and have a very underwhelming effect.

This is much ado about nothing. It's a stage and a ramp, and not worth focusing on. This show isn't about the window dressing it's about the wrestlers. The only thing that would bother me, is if they did a TNA and put in a 6 sided ring. Other than that who cares.

This is much ado about nothing. It's a stage and a ramp, and not worth focusing on. This show isn't about the window dressing it's about the wrestlers. The only thing that would bother me, is if they did a TNA and put in a 6 sided ring. Other than that who cares.

I can understand your point but presentation of the product is still very important. Perception is everything.

If it's simplified too much then you take out the grandiose feeling that a big entrance provides

Too much colour and bright light can make it a bit hard to watch

Fans will perceive WWE as the better product than it's competitors because of the production values and large scale presentation

You need to strike a balance

I can understand your point but presentation of the product is still very important. Perception is everything.

If it's simplified too much then you take out the grandiose feeling that a big entrance provides

Too much colour and bright light can make it a bit hard to watch

Fans will perceive WWE as the better product than it's competitors because of the production values and large scale presentation

You need to strike a balance

No and I completely understand that you need the balance. What I'm not seeing is the problem with the set. You don't really need anything spectacular as most of the action takes place in the ring. The stage and ramp are just vehicles to get the wrestlers out there.

The OP said he likes the NXT set. To me it's the same as the RAW set only on a smaller scale, reason being it's a smaller arena. He also made mention of the long entrance ramp. Well you need that in big arena's considering where the ring is. If you put the ring closer to the stage, the fans at the other end would see nothing of what's going on. You need the ring in the centre so that everyone can have a good view of it.

I think the set as it stands is pretty simple. You have the stage, the titantron, and a ramp. It's not garish, serves it's purpose and most importantly doesn't take away from where the main action happens, the ring. I just think with the horrible booking and repeat matches, the set is the last thing I'm worried about.

No and I completely understand that you need the balance. What I'm not seeing is the problem with the set. You don't really need anything spectacular as most of the action takes place in the ring. The stage and ramp are just vehicles to get the wrestlers out there.

The OP said he likes the NXT set. To me it's the same as the RAW set only on a smaller scale, reason being it's a smaller arena. He also made mention of the long entrance ramp. Well you need that in big arena's considering where the ring is. If you put the ring closer to the stage, the fans at the other end would see nothing of what's going on. You need the ring in the centre so that everyone can have a good view of it.

I think the set as it stands is pretty simple. You have the stage, the titantron, and a ramp. It's not garish, serves it's purpose and most importantly doesn't take away from where the main action happens, the ring. I just think with the horrible booking and repeat matches, the set is the last thing I'm worried about.

The NXT set they used at Takeover Brooklyn would be an ideal set for me for the WWE main shows, looked smart and simple and worked well for TV in a large scale arena setting, maybe roll out the big set for the main 4 PPVs.

But absolutely the booking needs work. In my opinion that should be simplified a bit too. Get back to quality wrestling matches. More clean finishes, simplified story lines and promos.

The set never bothered me... The whole mini-tron on the apron was unnecessary. Not sure why they added that shit.

I find this more of an annoyance than the set.

I honestly don't even think about the set. It's just kind of there.

The only time I really ever think about it is when they do a cool one for a pay-per-view or if they do a hideous one for a pay-per-view. And even then it's just the initial thought and then it's on with the show.

I would change things up too, obviously a set isn't going to make things better overall but I do think it can help more than some people will admit.

1) Red ropes for Raw, blue for Smackdown.

2) Apart from PPV's, use black ring posts and ring steps.

3) Get rid of stupid apron-tron.

4) Get rid of even stupider ring post cameras.

5) Keep the universal set for Smackdown, except have bigger entrance ramp.

6) New set for Raw, bigger entrance ramp, but COMPLETELY different than Smackdown.

7) Get rid of the blue and red lights on the crowd, make them feel more part of the show.

8) PPV sets should feel different than Raw/Smackdown. Actually create a different set like they used to do rather than using the universal set.

The set is more wrestler specific now instead of show specific. I like that. It can add a lot to an entrance.

The whole point to the tron is just so people in the crowd can see what's going on if they are blocked/backstage. The current set has a huge screen. Which is the point.

So it is more wrestler specific and everyone in the crowd can see. No problems at all with it.

The set doesn't bother me, commentary on Raw and SmackDown do though, as of late. They are trying new combos but...ugh. Jerry Lawler should just hang it up, he just doesn't care anymore and he's become terribly dry the past year or more. Call up Tattoo neck from NXT to take Jerry's place.

I'd move Cole away from JBL and make Cole the new voice of SmackDown with Tattoo neck by his side. Just the two of them. Build a chemistry there.

JBL , Saxon and a retired from wrestling Big Show. Show can play a straight up heel color commentator and team up with JBL to pick on Saxon. Saxon would grow through the experience and become the next JR on commentary while Big Show shines as the next Jessie Ventura type commentator.

I agree fully with you..... There needs to a set which catches our attention and enhance our interrst in watching raw and smackdown and ppvs.... Raw and Smackdown should be made cool to watch....

The main problem might be that many folks are tired of pro wrestling on TV.

To me, if the action in the ring is good, the set, the audience, the commentators, and even the storylines don't matter that much.

Then again, if the set.....with the pretty fireworks and music....is a fan's favorite part of Raw, they're probably not that interested in a well-contested wrestling match anyway.

The main problem might be that many folks are tired of pro wrestling on TV.

To me, if the action in the ring is good, the set, the audience, the commentators, and even the storylines don't matter that much.

Then again, if the set.....with the pretty fireworks and music....is a fan's favorite part of Raw, they're probably not that interested in a well-contested wrestling match anyway.

It isn't my favorite part. I just prefer the traditional Titantron and lights mainly on the ring instead of all the extra colorful lights. I love the wrestling,storyline,mic work. There is almost nothing else I love more than this business. And I guess when it comes down to it I just love the traditional stuff.

Only thing they really should get rid of for real is the minitron and the different colors in the crowd. I am also not much a fan of the HD. But I understand it's a different time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back