• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Create an Old School Interview Segment Set

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
They do in-ring segments now, but one thing I really enjoyed, when watching WWF as a kid, were the interview sets. This is where storylines for major feuds would be born/furthered. Piper's Pit is generally agreed on as the gold standard for interview segments. My personal favorites were the ones that were named/designed based on the host's gimmick. The Snake Pit (Jake "The Snake" Roberts), The Funeral Parlor (Paul Bearer/Undertaker), The Barber Shop (Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake)--I loved the idea of these sets fitting the host, as opposed to, for example, the Brother Love Show--which had many memorable moments in its own right-- but the set wasn't anything special. Of course, it could be argued that Brother Love himself wasn't anything special, so what kind of set could I expect? That might be fair. But, I just loved the look of some of the sets. There was also the Body Shop and the Flower Shop--which seem to fit my criteria of a set being appropriate for the host (Jesse "The Body" Ventura and Adorable Adrian Adonis, respectively); but, I don't, personally, remember any big moments from these particular shows...aside from the Piper beating, which set up Piper vs. Adonis in a Hair vs. Hair Match at WrestleMania III.

I was hoping to tap into your creative sides and ask what ideas you might have if you had to pick a WWF/E wrestler or on-air personality and name/design an interview segment/set for that person/group. And don't worry about someone not being a good option for a host. For example, Ken Patera is notoriously, shall we say, not good on the mic. But, if someone like that has a gimmick that would fit your idea, just go with it.

Maybe The Butcher Shop for Abdullah or The Poacher Shack for Skinner...
I might have liked the Junkyard with JYD.

I'm looking for the old school sets here, not the in-ring segments of today. You can use anyone from any era, but I am looking for a full set, set-up away from the ring. Have some fun with it and share your ideas.

The Thunderdome hosted by the Legion of Doom...

Hawk and Animal instigate fights by just cutting to the chase and intimidating their guests in calling out their rivals.

LoD just keeps riling them up until their rival runs out and attacks them.

i.e. Jake Roberts comes out for a segment on the Thunderdome.

Roberts tries to talk about how he's a reflection of society's decay, but Hawk cuts him off to talk about the Macho Man.

Roberts tries to deflect but Animal is in his face confronting him about Randy Savage.

Roberts realizes he can't slither his way and gets frustrated.

Roberts lashes out at Macho and at Elizabeth.

Now Macho Man comes running out.

Now the LoD has to play bouncers while they keep Roberts and Savage separated.

Lather, rinse, repeat with all the other feuds like Hogan/Slaughter, Warrior/Taker, Hart/Piper.

One episode, the LoD are in ring lamenting that they are out of guests for the Thunderdome.

They ask the fans for a suggestion. The crowd holds up their signs and shout their ideas.

Cue the Natural Disasters theme song.

Earthquake and Typhoon stand in the aisle as security and other wrestlers empty out to separate the two teams.

Gorilla Monsoon is voicing his concern for the first few rows in attendance.

Bobby Heenan is asking production to get him popcorn and soda, but changes his mind when he realizes he has to pay for the concessions.

Heenan is threatening to sue for breach of contract.

Hell, the Ambrose Asylum is perfectly fit for this kind of thing.

Have Ambrose and his guest strait-jacketed for an interview segment. All kinds of shenanigans could ensue.

I'd love to see the Jericho interview segment return with more of a set type feel.

This next one is ridiculous and unrealistic, but I thought of it, so why not...

Razor Ramon hosting a segment in a coke lab, where he's interviewing someone and in the background, masked workers are cutting coke-like substances. HAHAHAHAHA this wouldn't have even flown in the depths of the Attitude Era.

How about Doink the Clown hosting something in a Carnival like setting? Call it the Clown Show or something like that. Maybe build some makeshift midway game in the background and balloons etc.

How about Doink the Clown hosting something in a Carnival like setting? Call it the Clown Show or something like that. Maybe build some makeshift midway game in the background and balloons etc.

Haha! Ya know, when I was typing my original post, I pictured Doink in front of those clown mouths you shoot the water into to fill the balloon. Doink definitely has potential!

I like the LOD one and the detail of even how Monsoon would be reacting. Haha! And the Razor one was funny! This is a creative thing...being TOO unrealistic might get silly. But I thought yours, though impossible, was funny to picture. Scarface-type setting.

Another one I was playing around with was The Model having some kind of fashion set with mannequins, and one is actually a person who is painted up to look like a mannequin. Hell, in that era, Vince might have had that guy attack a guest from behind and then put him on the roster as The Mannequin. I'm picturing a Silver Surfer type look from the Fantastic Four movie. Those kinds of mannequins. Maybe have him just be a mannequin the first few interviews, so no one notices. Then, have him come to life behind someone Martel is arguing with later on. Attack them, new gimmick born...most likely garbage ensues after that...but hey, it's an idea!

Ever see the end of the Matt Damon movie Stuck on You? Greg Kinnear is sitting on a park bench next to a "statue" and it comes to life and scares the hell out of him. THAT is how I am picturing this Mannequin.

The Dentist's Chair with Issac Yankem DDS. It'd be the first (and probably only) game show WWE has, random wrestlers would enter in the chair and Jerry Lawler asks him a series of questions, if the wrestler gets all questions right; he gets off scot free. But if he loses, he gets his teeth pulled off.

Would probably make for a few good matches and feuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back