• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Old School PPV to watch

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
On a sick day from work/school or a snowy day of staying in and watching TV or maybe a night when I can't sleep, I'll often pop in an old PPV DVD. I find relaxation in re-watching something familiar. I know the results, but the memories of my original enjoyment of the show bring a comfortable feeling. I thought I'd ask which PPV you guys like to pop in for nostalgia's sake.

On almost every WrestleMania rankings list, WMX7 is universally accepted as the best ever; five-star matches, roster depth, etc. But, I'm not asking what you think is the best PPV, just which gives you the most enjoyment to watch. Sure, they could be one and the same and if so, please list that PPV. But, for example, WMIV is a favorite of mine. Do I feel this was one of the betters Manias? No. Could the tournament have been handled better? Sure. But, I still love the PPV because it had a battle royal, a championship tournament, title matches and a six-man tag. WMVI is another. I love PPVs like this where Monsoon and Ventura (or Heenan @ WMVIII as another example) play up the kayfabe reasoning behind wrestling. They'll mention the ring was reinforced for a matchup of larger wrestlers, or they'll mention how the smaller team needs to use quickness and agility to have a chance against a team of monsters, or how the champion has the advantage because they can use count outs or DQs to their advantage. It's things like that that I enjoyed from commentators and miss these days. They would always speak about the match they were calling, as opposed to more recently where the match is mostly background of the main discussion of the coming main event or twitter/hashtags or fan votes.

You could have any number of reasons to prefer a certain PPV, so I was curious... If you are in the mood to watch some old school wrestling (either DVDs or via the network--or VHS!) which are your go-to's and why? Again, if a well-rated PPV is your favorite, that is fine. But I am asking for your personal preference, not necessarily what the consensus says are the best ones. I recently looked up a Mania ranking and found a lot of my faves--which, of course, took place when I was young and a big fan--are rated very low. This makes sense because the action and abilities have grown over the years. But, that doesn't make me want to pop in WMXIX rather than WMIII, even though XIX may be a much better show. What are your favorites?

I’ve got quite a few favorites, mostly all for different reasons, but things have changed for me since the WWE Network.

Pre – WWE Network
Invasion
SummerSlam 2001
Unforgiven 2001
No Mercy 2001
Rebellion 2001
Survivor Series 2001
Vengeance 2001 (my personal favorite Pay Per View of all time)
Royal Rumble 2002
No Way Out 2002
WrestleMania X8
WrestleMania XIX (greatest Pay Per View in the history of Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment)
WrestleMania XX
One Night Stand 2005
One Night Stand 2006
Night Of Champions 2007
Night Of Champions 2008
Night Of Champions 2009
Night Of Champions 2010
Night Of Champions 2011
Night Of Champions 2012
Night Of Champions 2013

Post – WWE Network
Night Of Champions 2014
Night Of Champions 2015

Since the WWE Network launched, I’ve been watching every WWE, WCW and ECW Pay Per View in chronological order, starting with Starrcade 1983. Whenever I have free time, I just continue where I left off. I’m currently on Elimination Chamber 2012. When I finally catch up, my plan is to watch every Saturday Night’s Main Event and Clash Of Champions in chronological order.

Anything from 1992, 1997, 2001. They were most enjoyable times watching wrestling. The top of the pack in that time frame for me are Survivor Series 91, Rumble 92, WM8, Summerslam 92, Royal Rumble 97, Canadian Stampede 97, Raws from the summer of 97, Summerslam 97, And literally any PPV from 2001 and raws during the invasion angle.

If it's not something from those years, it will usually be based on the time of year. I recently watched rumbles 1993-1995. Afterwards I'll probably watch a few wrestlemanias leading into WM Season.

Anything from the 90's, normally either Starrcade, Royal Rumble, KOTR, WrestleMania or Survivor Series.

Survivor Series & Royal Rumble because of their concepts, WrestleMania because it's the biggest show of the year, I liked the early KOTR tournaments because of the multiple matches they would have to wrestle to win the tournament and Starrcade for the old school WCW feel about, although sometimes I just end up jumping from Starrcade onto Great American Bash or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back