Favorite Moments of the Decade

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
Such a simple thread, on the final day of 2009 and the first decade of the 2000s. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread in this section about this yet. What are some of your favorite sports moments of the decade?

My single most favorite moment of this past decade was the final game of the 2005 World Series. It isn't a moment per se, but the entire game goes together for me. Plus I don't want to just do the whole World Series. Again sorry FTS, I know it is a sore subject for you, but it is my favoritest moment of the decade, and is something I will cherish and remember forever.

I was on edge the entire game. It was a fantastic pitcher's duel between Freddy Garcia and Brandon Backe. A pairing that you may not think much of at the look, but this game was beyond epic for White Sox fans, and should have been a great look for the first seven innings by Astros fans. The game was going pretty quickly, with Backe seemingly having an easier time than Freddy. But Freddy is a big game pitcher, and he went seven strong, striking out the last batter in the seventh inning to halt a scoring threat.

Then in the eighth inning, Brad Lidge came in early. Remember this was the series right after Albert Pujols jacked that MONSTER home run at Minute Maid Park. (Thriller I know probably loves that moment :p) Willie Harris led off with pinch-hit single. Scott Podsednik bunts him over to second base, followed by a pinch-hit groundout that moved Harris to third base. What came next was the only run of the game, with Jermaine Dye singling up the middle to score Harris.

It got dicey in the bottom of the eighth inning, with Willy Taveras getting hit and then Cliff Politte throwing a wild pitch and walking Lance Berkman. But he got Morgan Ensberg to fly out, and Neal Cotts came in to get Jose Vizcaino out. The 9th went fairly smoothly for Lidge, and in the bottom half, big bad Bobby Jenks came out to close it out.

He gave up a single to Jason Lane, and Brad Ausmus followed with a sac-bunt. Chris Burke tried his hand, but he fouled out to Juan Uribe who made a fantastic catch while falling into the stands. Jeteresque, but not as extraordinary, and the opposite of Steve Bartman for Astros fans. Very courteous of them. Then the final play, Orlando Palmeiro hits a chopper over the head of Jenks, Uribe plays it, throws on the move, and gets him by half a step to win the World Series.

Definitely the happiest moment of my life to that point, and is definitely in the top 2 or 3 right now. Absolutely fantastic.

What are some of your favorites from the past decade?

Then in the eighth inning, Brad Lidge came in early. Remember this was the series right after Albert Pujols jacked that MONSTER home run at Minute Maid Park. (Thriller I know probably loves that moment :p)

That is definitely one of them. Here is a video of that homer (ignore the audio, it is from FanFest and the guy is annoying):

[YOUTUBE]g2ZRIpxdUCg[/YOUTUBE]

The home run itself was fucking monsterous and won the game for the Redbirds, but the aftermath is what makes it that much more amazing. For the next few seasons until Lidge was let go from the Astros, he was never the same after that pitch. He blew saves, walked guys, gave up hits and nearly lost "it" forever. I am glad to see that he is ok in Philly now, but I will never forget that home run. It silenced a ruckus Houston crowd and had me screaming my head off in my living room.

The decade started off pretty well for me spots wise, as this occurred less than one month into the 2000s:

[YOUTUBE]5SBU8nOiMz0[/YOUTUBE]

It was one of the best Super Bowls ever, and I was ecstatic to see one of my favorite teams that had sucked for years since arriving in St. Louis to win the big one.

And my absolute favorite sports moment from the past decade (turn down your volume for this one):

[YOUTUBE]1kxdOpk_BQQ[/YOUTUBE]

I love the Cardinals with all of my heart, and to see them win the World Series for the first time in my life was incredible beyond words. We have been one of the best teams of the decade and there have been many great moments, but Wainwright striking out Inge to win the Title was the greatest of them all.

The first moment that came to my mind was the 2002 Winter Olympics. Canada hadn't won a gold medal in hockey in 50 years. They release the roster and of course it's a powerful one. Curtis Joseph gets the call in the first game and has a bad game and fans are once again thinking "Oh no, another disappointment". The next game Martin Brodeur gets the call and Canada wins the game. Canada doesn't look back from that change and they ride Brodeur all the way.

Canada has a tough round robin, but still makes it to the elimination round. The turning point of the whole tournament comes after a game against the Czech Republic. After a rough game in which the Czechs took some liberties with our players, Team Canada director and hockey icon Wayne Gretzky speaks in a press conference.

[youtube]lPt2qvpp3aY&feature=related[/youtube]

(Go to 8:55 of this clip, couldn't find the press conference on it's own)

The was the first time Gretzky showed that kind of attitude and alot of people were stunned that he said what he said. But Team Canada took that press conference and rode it all the way to the Gold Medal game against the USA.

So it came down to Canada vs. USA in Salt Lake City for the Gold Medal. Canada was trying to break a 50 year losing streak and they came out flying. They dominated most of the game and seemed to be on a different level than the USA.

[youtube]kHEUa1Fidog&feature=related[/youtube]

(That's the highlights of the game)

When that buzzer rang through the building at the end of the game, an entire country jumped out of their seats and a feeling of euphoria hit every single Canadian. After 50 years, Canada was back on top of the hockey world. I remember that game and this tournament very well and I was cheering my ass off. It was a tremendous feeling and something that I will never forget.

I'll make a top 5 for this one

5: June 2001: Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup. I was once a big fan of this team, mostly due to the goal tending of NHL Legend Patrick Roy. My favourite thing about this was NHL Hall of Famer Raymond Borque winning his first cup after 21 seasons. He retired on a high note by lifting Lord Stanley's mug.

4: 2007: The Ducks win the Stanley cup by beating my most hated team Ottawa Senators in 5 games. Despite the fact they beat a Canadian team, Anaheim had about 85% Canadians on their team and brought home the Cup to several communities across the country.

3: 2009: Pittsburgh wins cup. I have always been a fan of the team, since their back 2 back cups in 1991 and 1992. Although only the last 5 miniutes of the game was exiting, including M.A. Fleury's diving save at the end, this was a great moment. One, because I am a fan of Sidney Crosby two: I hate the Wings.

2: World Junior Hockey: Canada's drive for 5. This tournament exites me more than the Stanley Cup finals as future NHL superstars start their legacy by winning Gold. Team Canada won 5 gold in a row.

1: 2002 Olympics: Canada's gold rush. What's better than Team Canada beating Team USA? Beating them on their turf for and Olympic Gold. I dare say that's an even better sports moment than the Summit Series of '71. Both mens and womens team won a gold in OUR SPORT, hockey! The closing minute of the game was simply the best, the audience began belting out Oh Canada.

I will have to say my favorite moment of the decade has got to be the Yankees winning the world series. As a true Yankee fan, it was an honor and so touching to see the yanks win their 27th WS championship after almost 9 years. They spent big money in the 2009 offseason, i think it was about 420 or 430 million bucks, so that they can live their dream of getting another WS championship under their belts and they finally accomplished it. It was just a very great moment for them, myself, and all the other Yankee fans out there.

My favorite moment was when the Giants won Super Bowl 42. I remembered thinking about how Eli would fare against the (former) 18-0 Patriots. He did just fine, including the amazing pass to Tyree. I marked the fuck out. Very emotional for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back