Your decade and the next...

Phoenix

WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
I was having a think about this earlier. With it being near 2010, naturally 10 years have passed for the World and for ourselves. For some of us, significant periods have occured, some great, some not. Now I was having a deep thought about where has this decade taken me? What has got me from A to B and what was significant points along the way and what will I now expect or hope to occur when I move from B to C in the 2010-2019 period. The main questions I ask are:

What age did you begin this decade and how old will you be when it ends? How would you compare yourself now to when you were then?

Is there any part of you that would change?

Any changes you made that you look back, thinking you wish you hadn't?

What/Who has been the most significant part(s) of your last decade?

Do you have a moment that even if it wasn't significant, you like to think about to it?

What was your best year?

What was your worst year?

And finally, what do you expect out of your next decade?

------------------------
What age did you begin this decade and how old will you be when it ends? How would you compare yourself now to when you were then?

I started this decade at the age of 12 and will end it at the age of 22. In comparison, I'm a lot slimmer than I was, I was overweight at 12 and dropped down to be normal/slightly underweight. I developed from a stammering geek to a semi-confident one.

I think the one thing I would change mainly is my attitude to reading. I loved reading in the 90s but it has dropped significantly this decade, I've tried picking up the pieces from it and slowly trying to get more books out of me, I aim to build up as I go.

I think the one thing that I changed about myself that I wish I could have altered is how much of an influence other people are around me. At the start of the decade, I was very easy pickings for bullying and rather aggressive at times. What I ended up doing what trying to get in with the cool crowd and be accepted so things like the bullying would stop. But in the end, first impressions always remain, I never got over and just had false pretences shown to me, in the end it just made it easier for some bullies to find me, at the same time, my grades dropped and someone who was a top of the class student, was 2nd rate. Naturally come university came a fresh start, it helped and I could get away from the problems, but again, adjusting to the crowds was never an easy feat. Nowadays I'm more based around "I am me, accept it" attitude, I don't try and change my ways to impress people anymore. In the end it's a lesson learnt from experience, but I had wished I had not gone down that route. The other bit would be me choosing to quit playing the trombone.

What/Who has been the most significant part of your last decade?

There's been a lot of significant moments really, it was a decade of growing up. I experienced things like falling in love, death, to name a few. But if I had to say a significant moment, it would be in 2000 where my Nan suffered from a clot in the brain, she survived the operation and we unfortunately lost her in 2006, but those 6 years were a gift given the original situation. She definitely would be the most significant person and part of the most significant moment in my life. If I had to name someone outside of my family, it would be my best friend/ex, despite only knowing her for two years, she has played a significant role in my life, especially during the phase of graduating from Uni into a working life. She would be my first non-family choice.

Do you have a moment(s) that even if it wasn't significant, you like to think about to it?

I think it would mainly how I met some of the friends I know today, they would be considered significant as they are in my life but it's just the unusual ways from how I met certain people. One of my good friends I know, it originally started on a student forum with a message saying "Hi, you're cute!" and now she's one of my good friends, another would from kissing them in a nightclub to just being casual friends in general. I think the best one is meeting a friend through going to a vampire themed night (via her housemate I knew) and just having a down right laugh, even playing over Soul Calur 3, that would be my personal fav.

What was your best year?

Despite the events of 9/11, 2001 I would say is my best year. This year was full of fun and action; I travelled to Germany, Lithuania and America for the first time in my life; I started GCSEs. Trying to think about bits but my brain is fried at the moment. It was really a turning point year where there was so much to enjoy, it was a year I could say I was happy in.

With my jinx of odd years being (mostly) good years, the even numbered years really took some big tolls at times, the main one being 2006. Now there were some significant good moments like getting my SLR camera, work experience, summer jobs and a good first year at uni. But the second half of the year saw some real dark moments, being betrayed, getting used and abused, awful relationships and the death of my Nan. This was the year that really took me to where I am today, I don't think I ever truly got beyond the effects of that year, my marks at Uni dropped, I could have re-started but opted to continue on, I became less trusting of people, it ended my original run on internet forums. I think it made me less socialable because I couldn't take some elements. Naturally most years had some awful effects but 2006 was purely life changing due to the events.

Well this decade is me going from 22 into 32, the decade where the rest of my life will be determined. Currently, I see myself looking to push my photography and remain at my current job as we start getting out of the recession. I'm looking forward to events like Smackdown with Lee and Dave, the 2012 Olympics in London, possible World Cup 2018. I think I'll see some more significant roles maintaining or going like my relationships with friends. While I'm not overly optimistic, I think I'll possibly meet a long term partner. It's mainly about taking what I learned and got to in this last decade and making it my strengths to go forward. I think the other element that my best friend/ex will play an important role in the next decade, what? I don't know, but I just feel she will play another key role down the line.

That's my decade and the next, what's yours?

MODERATOR NOTE: This is not a spam thread. One word answers will be infracted. Let Phoenix original post be the blueprint for how you are to answer this thread.

I was 13 when this decade began and now I am 23. Comparing myself to the younger me from 10 years ago.... I'm a lot more mature now. Back then I was immature, selfish, and stubborn.... Over the past 10 years I have grown up a lot.

I was far too concerned with what people thought of me. If I had been more proud of who I was then I would have been more confident.

Yeah sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't transferred schools during 10th grade. In the long run I know I made the right choice because I was miserable at my previous school, but I'll never know if things would have gotten any better if I had just stuck around.

My video game, Division Blade. Nothing else remained relevant for all 10 years. In 2000 to 2001 I was working on the original script. Roughly every year after that until 2008 I revised it, then in 2008 I started the actual programming aspect. I expect to finish in 2010.

Do you have a moment that even if it wasn't significant, you like to think about to it?

Not one that I'm comfortable mentioning, or that I haven't already mentioned in several other threads.

What was your best year?

2008 was the best year this decade. I liked most of my classes, had cool roomies, made a movie with my friends, and started creating my game after the script was revised for the final time. The one and only bad thing that happened to me that whole year was when I got into a huge fight with my ex in October of that year. She is my biggest regret, but the rest of the year was great.

2005 was my worst year this decade. I was a freshman in college and still going through a lot of things that had bugged me during my adolescence. I still worried about what people thought about me, had NO idea what I wanted to do with my life, thought I had no chance of fulfilling my personal goals, and even considered dropping out of school.

Luckily, I got past all of that and have had some of the best years of my life after I quit letting any of that stuff bug me.

I find that having high expectations for things makes you feel a lot worse if they are not met. So I'm just going to go for a simple answer. I expect to be done with school, done with creating Division Blade, hopefully have met the right girl and married her. I'm not expecting much else, it's better and more realistic to not have really high expectations.

I like this thread idea Phoenix. A good reflective thread upon our lives, for those who wish to post in it.

I was nine at the start, and will end it at 19. I was a very timid kid, especially as it was around the time of my parent's divorce. Didn't really start hanging out with people until 8th grade. Now I am more outgoing, have a shit ton of friends that I talk to and hang out with, and have more overall self-confidence.

My attitude towards my father has changed. When I was younger I looked up to him like he was God. He was everything athletic for me, and just was one of my heroes. But as I grew older, the relationship distanced, especially with the addition of my step-mom. He used to always be able to be there for me, and now, any time I ask him for something simple it is such a hassle.

Not really. Each of the changes I made in my life have been to better myself and my situation. I ran with a stupid crowd (tame to probably other's standards) but would get into trouble, piss off my mom, and just be a total dick. I got out of that, and was able to be a better person almost immediately. So I don't regret any of the changes I made in my life.

This goes to either my mom or my brother, Pat. My mom would always be there for me, even in tight financial situations, no matter what. If I was a douche, she was still there. For all that she put up with the last 10 years, I owe her a lot. But my brother Pat is basically the one that shaped me to now. I hung out with him a bunch, and especially in high school, was able to learn to just be myself, have some laughs, and not be so serious all the time. My fun loving attitude can be attributed to him.

Also an honorable mention to my grandfather (RIP).

One of my former best friends, now just a casual friend. How we met was fun. It was my buddy's 18th birthday, so we went bowling. My friend Karen brought her boyfriend at the time, Kamran. He seemed cool, but I didn't really take to him at the moment. He then came up to me about 5-10 minutes later, asking if I was good at bowling, I say yes, and he said I was with him. Then we went to Lazer Tag and had a fucking blast. That was great. Another instance was with him again, we had a barbeque at his house, and his friend Mike came over, and we got to talking and shit. He is still one of my best buds today.

What was your best year?

This is either 2004 or 2008. In 2004, I went to Florida for a long weekend with my mom, had a great time there. For Spring Break we went to Puerto Rico for a cruise, and it was awesome. I got drunk on 150 proof Rum as a 13 year old, saw some awesome places, and just had an amazing time. I graduated from Jr. High, and that summer I spent a month in North Carolina with my brother. Got buzzed/drunk a few times, went to Warped Tour and a Linkin Park concert, and when I got back, I started high school.

2008 was also great. School was great, just basically a laid-back semester, worked as well. Met up with my friend Kamran, and had shit ton of fun during Spring Break with the house to myself. Had a two week period of school where it was the week of Prom, had a fun weekend with my best friends just being morons, then had school for two days, and then two field trips, one to Navy Pier for math, and Six Flags for Physics, and that Friday was Senior Ditch Day. Then the last day of school was graduation practice, and also the day before my birthday. So that night we went bowling, and then at midnight headed for a strip club, as I was finally legal. Went to the gun range when I woke up later that day, then the beach afterwards, and graduated the next day. Had a bitchin' summer, and started college.

2003. I got shit on that entire year because I got rejected by a girl. It was fuckin' stupid. Plus people all thought they were the shit, when they were all fucktards. But the following year made up for it.

Staring next month, I will be attending broadcasting school. So it will be a great start to the decade already. I'll have an internship, and hopefully by the end of the year a job in the industry. As for the entire decade, I expect myself to have a job calling hockey or baseball by the end of the decade. In a personal matter, I expect myself to at least have a girlfriend, hopefully a wife by the end, but no rush.

Technically speaking, I was 12 when it started and I'll be 22 when it ends, but my birthday is on New Year's Eve, so for all intents and purposes I was 11 and I will be 21. I suppose the biggest change in my lie in that time is that I am obviously much more mature these days, but I am also much happier as a person. My mother died in 1997, and I went to military school in 1999 and the early part of this decade is where I adjusted to all of that. I was quite independant anyway, but that has been confirmed this decade for sure.

Not really. I mean you learn from your mistakes, and to be honest there isn't anything that I regret to the point that it bothers me on a daily basis. I'd say that most stupid things that I had done involved getting too drunk with people I don't no, so I guess I'd add knowing when to stop to my social resume, but in all honesty I'm quite happy with the person I have become.

I was a bit of a tearaway when I was 16. Well, to the point you can be and still have a bedtime. I went from a nigh on certainty for a higher position, to having the axe of expulsion hanging above my head. I'd probably be a bit wiser with my wisecracks and backchat, if I could do it all again.

The other thing to do is that I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge. I didn't want to go and the course was shit, but was forced into it by school. I applied there because I thought my friend was going to, she did, but she didn't even get in. There was a dream course at Oxford, but you can only apply to one. In all honesty, I'm glad I ended up in London though.

Meeting my girlfriend was pretty huge, as was leaving school. I'd say leaving school was probably most significant because in the last 4 years I've gone from living in a military school: chapel every day, naval parade fortnightly, and being allowed into Ipswich once every six weeks to living in the middle of one of the biggest cities on earth and doing whatever I want.

I went on a lot of holidays and stuff, which were all very nice, but I think Sunda afternoons at school were pretty cool. We used to go and piss about on Griff Rhys Jones' trampoline, and make up stupid games and stuff. All good fun.

What was your best year?

Probably this year. Moved in with my girlfriend, started doing well at work and at uni and finally ridded myself of the massive depressive patches that I used to have. Oh, and because it was my first full year here too, obviously.

2005. Almost got expelled from school, missed my chances with a girl I liked, ruined a friendship by getting with one of my female friends, fell out with best mate, made up but only once he got expelled. Uncontrollable sadness runs wild. Nothing major, just a plethora of crap events.

I expect I will buy a house. I intend on starting my career after graduating, and the way things are going I imagine I'll get married before the decade is out too. Right now, I really don't want children, but if I ever have them, it'll be towards the back end of the next decade. It will probably be the most significant decade I ever have.

I began this decade at the age of 4, and will end it at the age of 14. I've grown up, become a lot spottier, a lot taller, a lot stronger, a lot funnier (not to be big headed), and obviously a lot older.

If I could, I'd get my innocence back. I became too clever by even the age of 8 for my own good. I thought it was great, knowing how stuff worked and how Santa wasn't real etc. But I long for the days before, when every day was an afdventure, the world was my playground. I didn't know, and didn't care how the Tweenies got into that big black box- I just enjoyed it. Those truly were great times.

No, I think my only willing changes have been to become a lot more social, become a lot mroe active and so on. There is honestly nothing I regret.

TBH, I started out the decade, in primary school, as one of the class nerds. I hung out with the two uncoolest kids in the school, and people found me boring and annoying. I was friends with the teacher, and was the kids that would talk to the adults at parties, instead of playing with the other kids. Nowadays, I hang out with people fairly high up the social ladder, and people find me as the funnier guy, that can give good advice. In primary school I never would have talked to a girl properly, while nowadays Ill hang out with all types of girls, and can have a laugh and a good chat with most people without being awkward. So my climb up the social ladder, if you will.

None paricaularly, no.

What was your best year?
2009, because I've let myself have a lot more fun, and fucked about a lot, in and out of school. Good times.

Probably 2001. Failing to integrate into a new school, spending my whole time looking shit up id be learning anyway, and talking to adults. Time wasted, IMO.

I expect to graduate high school, have a blast in college, meet lots of new people, and to have some fun. And try to become a doctor, if I can.

Great Thread idea, Phoenix. I was going to do it myself, but, you got to it first. Anyway, on to the good stuff!!!

I started the decade at the tender age of 16, and will accordingly wind it down at the age of 26. Weird how that works out, huh? But, seriously, all the way back in 2000, I was a lot more conservative in my views, not only on politics, but also religion and the world in general. I looked like your stereotypical 16 year old of the time. A lot of A&F, American Eagle, and the like, and had a short haircut. These days, I stick with the classic sneaker cut Arizona Jeans, and various music related shirts (mostly rock/metal), and am a lot more middle of the road on my views.

Absolutely not. I'm entirely happy with the way I turned out. Not a day goes by that I don't thank my personal deities for how things are starting to fall into place. Is that weird?
I kinda wish I hadn't cut off my relationship with my father. It's hard for me talk about, so I won't get into details. Let's just say, if something were to happen, I doubt I'd be incredibly welcome at the visitation or funeral.

Lots of stuff, really. First and foremost, my friends and family. Without them, I'd have never been able to deal with certain problems, and more than likely wouldn't be here today. Same thing goes for music, movies, and t.v.

Yeah, I do. It's the moment I hooked back up with two of my closest friends from High School. St. Patrick's Day 2006. I was at my favorite pub, and one of my current buds showed up with my bestie, who I hadn't seen in a few years. I inadvertently cock blocked Davey that night, and he was pissed at me for a few weeks. The other, was totally random. She had somehow found my cell number, and called to invite me to her concert. I went, fell back in love, and still haven't been requited. It's all good, though.

What was your best year?
Probably 2004. I was just starting to settle into my current stage in life as the "lovable nerd", and finally getting over a ton of social awkwardness. Haven't looked back since.

Probably 02 through 03. I was seriously whacked out at that point. I didn't know which way was up, and it showed. I alienated most of my friends, and never left the house, save for work. It was generally a very bad time for me.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect. I know one of my closest friends will probably be getting married, and I'll be officiating. I look at it this way, if I don't have any expectations, I won't be disappointed. I tend to adhere to a "Whatever happens, happens" kind of philosophy. The only expectation I have is: I'll still be alive.

13, 23. I dont compare at all. I was a total fuck up, loser when i was 13. Got shit grades, drank, did drugs, was an asshole to everyone....Umm, theft, assault, vandalism, you fucking name it. You know those kids in HS that were like, dirty, and did a bunch of bad shit, and like, wore flannels and shit? yea, I was one of them.

Now, I am who I am. Clearly, a bit different.

You know, despite what I just said up above, im glad I have the experience. That way when I speak on such things, im not simply just talking out of my ass. Obviously there are a few desicions as far as females go that I look back on, and wish they werent wuite that way. I wish I wouldnt have banged so many girls from the ages of 17 to 19, pretty fucking ashamed of that. Also wouldnt have wasted so much time and money with a few scallywags, that I did. In all though, I learned, and had a lot of fun from those experiences too, so, I wouldnt take them back.

I cant say there is. Every change I have made since the beginning of the decade has been VERY very productive and beneficial to me. A lot of them have been far from easy, but they all have paid great dividens

What/Who has been the most significant part of your last decade?

The most significant thing was obviously leaving home, and joining the military. I go from sleeping on the floor, park benches, and other friends homes, to traveling the world, making lots of money, doing whatever the fuck I want. Went from using food stamps for food to watching WWE shows in Madison Square Garden with a real life New Jerseyite.

Do you have a moment(s) that even if it wasn't significant, you like to think about it?

Oh, tons. I have so many great memories this decade, its crazy. Matter of fact, I dont like to reminsice, bc it makes me miss those very times....

What was your best year?

Absolutely 2007, without hesitation. Dated 3 models (well, one was only a model becuase she worked at hooters, and thusly, did modeling for that particular company, so...it hardly counts) and traveled the world. Made tons of money. Well, not the WHOLE world, ive never been out to the far east. I got to a lot of USA, Mexico, Canada, Lots of Europe, The Carribean. Probably ended up making about 85,000 dollars by the end of the year as well, most of it, tax free. So Yea. Made tons of money, saw the world, banged models, and almost got killed 3 or 4 times. Pretty much all you could ask for in a year.

Probably one of the years back in the dark ages. Not really sure which one to pick, since they all pretty much sucked.

A lot of sand, and heat, and car bombs. Well, I mean, if I make it alright, ill probably do that marriage and kids stuff. Or not. I dont really know, like on that. Likely just continue the path here, building up the financial empire, moving from trip to trip. Loving wrestling, and posting on WZ :)

Gotta say this is a great topic
I began the Decade at 6 now im 16. Well I've definately changed alot. for starters im not 4 ft tall.:p but ive matured so much in just the past year. but i cant really compare my self now to when i was just 6.
definately my weight. i want to put on some weight. because im too skinny and i need to gain some weight to get to an average weight.
Well my best friend isn't currently talking to me. so i would go back and change what i did to deserve it. and have us talking again
definatley my best friend. she's been there for me heaps. And f course my dad. without him id be clueless
Yeah, i think about it everyday. but you wont know
What was your best year?
2008 so much happened. it was so easy too. school was a breeze and work was a breeze. i miss that year. it was so much fun
probably '04. both my grandpa's died that year it was such a shock. it will always be my least favourite year.
hopefully to get into a nice uni, further my education and get my dream job.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back