The Event of the Decade

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
The 00s. A decade that will not soon be forgotten. Major wars in the Middle East, changes in leaders, terrorism, economic devastation, and much much more. I will post a poll here later when we get a concrete list to vote on, but what are some of the biggest events of the decade for you? Here are my choices right now for the biggest events of the decade. You can decide.

9/11 / 7/7 / Madrid
Hurricane Katrina
Boxing Day Tsunami
First Black President
Stock Market Crisis
Iraq/Afghanistan War
Kashmir Earthquake
Rover Reaches Mars
Global Climate Change issue
BRIC Nations enter into the G8

This isn't even close and it's 9/11.

Not just in this decade, but never in history has a single event changed the world more. Think about it. Since the end of World War Two, America has more or less ruled the world. For one day, America was vulnerable. It was a huge wake up call to the country and it changed everything. Now daily routines are completely different. There's more security and we're in one of the longest "wars" in national history. The two wars that are going on now are direct results of 9/11 and you could argue that it caused Obama's election and the stock market crash. So many things revolved around something that took a matter of minutes to happen. The world changed that day and it's by far and away the biggest moment of the decade.

I agree with KB and it is no doubt 9/11, it will eventually evolve into the event of the century let alone the decade. As KB said, and without trying to duplicate him, the world changed in just one day, when we look back at events like WW2 or the Cold War and see it as history and don't give too much of a reaction, when we look back at 9/11, it sends chills down our spines.

So many things have evolved out of 9/11; the way we stereotype Muslim culture and how religious views has become more PC than it has ever been; the 7/7 and Madrid bombings, these were smaller versions of that day, but it reminded us that the threat is still there and other countries remain a target; Barack Obama; the war on terrorism; Saddam's removal from power and execution, to name a few.

What's even more scary is that everyone keeps second guessing what's going to happen next, which country is going to be the next threat or the next one that will fall into the war. And furthermore, we still keep getting theories on what happened and why it happened, the full answer has never been given, but as KB said and I'm sure everyone will agree, nothing changed the world like 9/11 did.

I too have to agree with what has been said - the event of this decade, without a shadow of a doubt, is 9/11. I wouldn't go so far as to say that never before a single event has changed the world so much - but I agree that a single event hasn't changed the world so much in a very, very long time. I'd say some of the events surrounding WWII would come close to that impact (like for example the dropping of the first nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki - that, just like the thought pf 9/11, sends shivers down my spine as well), but ever since then, nothing has had more impact than those planes crashing into WTC, as it shook our perception of what this world is and how it works, something we regarded as an unquestionable given, to its very foundations. You can tell by the mere fact, that when you say those two numbers - "Nine-Eleven" - pretty much everyone in the world immediately knows what you are talking about, and will also immediately see all the changes and consequences it brought about reemerging before their inner eyes.

The sad thing about it, too, is that by invoking this huge worldwide reaction, the terrorists responsible have achieved precisely what they wanted - to spread fear and terror. Unfortunately, the reactions have become a necessity, as repeated later terror attacks (both attempted and executed) have shown.

For me personally, a significant positive event has to be the election of Barack Obama as the first black president of the US, as this marks the coming into fruition of changes within society that have taken place over the past 200 years, and that were long overdue to finally materialize. I think this should be regarded as a sign, and a reminder - and especially in light of the consequences 9/11 has brought upon us with regard of people's positions in western countries vis-á-vis the Muslim world - that we have apparently finally reached a stage where people are not always treated in a certain way because of how they look or where they come from; but are judged on their actions and how they contribute (or not) to society - just to remind us that not ALL muslims are terrorists or even agree with those terrorist attacks in any way.

But as said - 9/11 has already gone down in history as world-changing event in any case, and its impact is still felt today. Here's to hoping that within the next decade, we'll find ways to deal with it that are to the utmost benefit of all.

This isn't even close and it's 9/11.

Not just in this decade, but never in history has a single event changed the world more. Think about it. Since the end of World War Two, America has more or less ruled the world. For one day, America was vulnerable. It was a huge wake up call to the country and it changed everything. Now daily routines are completely different. There's more security and we're in one of the longest "wars" in national history. The two wars that are going on now are direct results of 9/11 and you could argue that it caused Obama's election and the stock market crash. So many things revolved around something that took a matter of minutes to happen. The world changed that day and it's by far and away the biggest moment of the decade.
Idgaf if I get flamed for this, but I'm certain that 911 was an inside job. And the Iraq war was not a result of 911, far from it.

The greatest event of the decade was the birth of multi-core processors. It changed the entire landscape of computer technology forever.

Idgaf if I get flamed for this, but I'm certain that 911 was an inside job. And the Iraq war was not a result of 911, far from it.

The greatest event of the decade was the birth of multi-core processors. It changed the entire landscape of computer technology forever.

And I'm sure the Illuminati was a part of the whole thing too right? where's the proof? huh? all you conspiracy theorists don't have any SUBSTANTIAL proof what soever that 9/11 was an "inside job" and when I say all you I mean in general. the birth of multi-core proccessors is not nor will ever be as important as 9.11 was due to the scale that 9.11 was conceived. *sigh* can I flame this guy please? he so deserves it.....

This really shouldn't be a question. 9/11 all the way.

Before 9/11 America was more or less a carefree place. There was no fear and we felt as if we were in a general period of prosperity. However in a mere 20 minutes, the world was changed forever. After 9/11, we looked at Muslims and Indians differently, no matter how calm and peaceful they may actually be. We became predjudice to Muslims and Indians, just based on how they look. After 9/11, it was common sense to not put yourself in a position that you could be accused of having a weapon. After 9/11 security was tightened up to the point where you would be sent to jail for even being suspected of having a bomb. For almost 6 years now, we've been in Iraq, fighting a War on Terror. Six years. 9/11 made it near impossible for anyone to get away with anything. Shit, I went to DC over the summer, and I almost shit myself just looking at the security guards. I'm pretty sure a midget was going to fall out of my ass the next time I got on the toilet.

9/11 turned a whole country against a man who had one of the highest approval rates of all time. Bush's inability to capture Osama Bin Laden made him a very hated man. 9/11 also brought out fuckbrained conspiracy theories on how reptilian lizards control the world, and how Obama and Bush are secretly brothers who are servants to aliens. See, that just made no fucking sense. That is the result of 9/11. Basically what I'm trying to say is that an ordinary day in New York changed the world forever. al-Qaeda and Bin Laden brought America to its knees and thats something that hadn't been done since Pearl Harbor. Basically on that day, America said, "Fuck skin color, fuck how you wear your pants, fuck where you came from, fuck what your last name is, fuck all of that. We've just got to survive."

I'm sorry to all the WrestleZone posters on here, and all the Americans on here, as I'm 100% sure I'm not only going to be Red Rep for this but also commently distroyed in what I will say.

"I agree with lordslix0129, when he says 9/11 was an inside job".

Now before you blast me, listen to my reasoning as I will actually explain why I believe this.

No I am not a conspiracy theorist, I don't believe in all that JFK, I'm a ferm believer it was Oswald, and I don't believe in Nostradamus, but 9/11 to me, was at least, known by then President Of The United States George W. Bush.

Yes I am of the 9/11 Truth crew, Ive seen more then one special on Discovery and 60 Minutes, but from what I've seen it adds up that either the U.S knew it was going to happen, or they themselves did it to have reason to attack Afghanistan and Iraq.
Whether its the fact that the phone calls were a 1000 to 1 chance of working that high up in the air or the fact that you're trying to tell me the United States Air Force couldn't get to the second plane in time to stop it or shoot it down or even respond at all, and the fact that the Pentagon footage is crap and you can't see shit and the fact of the way the buildings fell looks like bombs blow inside, to me it just doesn't add up.

However! This is not the point of this thread, if anyone wants to debate this with me then lets make a thread whatever. But for the purpose of this thread I believe its the Global Warming Issue the whole world is facing now, its changing so much in our day-to-day lives, not only in America but everywhere in the world, I know 9/11 is a huge story however Global Warming is a World Wide Issue that we need to adresse.. Fast.

No one needs to debate you. Popular Mechanics destroyed everyone of the arguments you're quoting from Loose Change, the worst documentary ever made by someone besides Michael Moore.

9/11 is the easiest answer to a question in the history of this section. Every aspect of everyone's life in the industrial world was affected. From airport procedures, to police procedures, to the cost of milk, all the changes can be traced back to 9/11.

No one needs to debate you. Popular Mechanics destroyed everyone of the arguments you're quoting from Loose Change, the worst documentary ever made by someone besides Michael Moore.

Good thing then that no one with a brain takes Loose Change seriously, and the Popular Mechanics article was the biggest piece of shit attempt at "debunking" I've ever seen in my life. For more details, here's a full response to the entire article, which conveniently picks several "theories" to debunk that have been disowned by the 9/11 Truth movement themselves for years.

http://www.serendipity.li/wot/pop_mech/reply_to_popular_mechanics.htm

But I'm pretty sure I've already shown you that before.

As for the answer to the question, I could say 9/11. But everyone else has, so I won't.

No, instead I'll say it was the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and subsequent tsunami which killed 229,000+ people. That's over a hundred times more people killed in one event than 9/11. 9/11 had more political implications obviously, but I thought I'd say something different.

Yeah, I am going to go with X here.

I remember waking up on Boxing Day to find out that over 200,000 people had been killed in a tsunami hat will not soon be forgotten. It was tragic. Thinking of all the people who were sharing a joyous period of time being wiped out in an instant is enough to make a man of stone shed a tear. Personally, I did a lot for the fund raising that followed shortly after. Well I say a lot but it was nothing compared to the world stage. I did a lot of fund-raising with my school and everyone I knew pitched in and we donated every single box we saw that was raising money for the victims. It was terrible time if year and it will live long in my memory.

No one needs to debate you. Popular Mechanics destroyed everyone of the arguments you're quoting from Loose Change, .
Popular Mechanics is full of shit, as are the pseudo-scientists that wrote the stories.

And I'm sure the Illuminati was a part of the whole thing too right?
I'm sure they had something to do with it, I was leaning more towards the CIA bringing Bin Laden into this country and hiring his crew to pull it off. There's so much misinformation out there, that I won't ever claim to have full proof that my beliefs are facts, but I am pretty sure I am correct. And yes, I am fairly certain that the twin towers imploded, not because of jet fuel (which burned up at the time of the explosion), but because of explosive devices that were planted into the buildings prior to the events.

And there are plenty of facts that The Illuminati exists, Alex Jones infiltrated a Freemasons Bonesman meeting in California and recorded footage of it. It seemed like it was a devil worship society, it was pretty interesting. But I don't know about their direct involvement with 911.
all you conspiracy theorists don't have any SUBSTANTIAL proof what soever that 9/11 was an "inside job"
Well, the way I see it, the government's involvement with Bin Laden created a pattern and paper trail that leads me to believe that they were definitely involved and helped Bin Laden and his crew execute the attacks.

But like I said, there is so much misinformation out there, there's not any solidified in-your-face evidence to back up my beliefs. Otherwise, there'd be a lot of people within the government that would be sitting in prison cells right now. However, I do not for one second believe that a commercial airliner would take down one tower, at free fall speed by itself. That defeats the laws of physics and is impossible.

And if you believe at face value everything the government tells you, including the *official* story behind 911, then you're delusional and borderline ******ed.

and when I say all you I mean in general. the birth of multi-core proccessors
It changed the way people use technology for the better.

And I'm really just bringing up the big events of technology over the past decade, because I believe they are far more important than the atrocities and genocides that we've had to experience over the past decade. I mean seriously, do you think that the only things worth mentioning are the events of people being murdered?

edit:

However! This is not the point of this thread, if anyone wants to debate this with me then lets make a thread whatever. But for the purpose of this thread I believe its the Global Warming Issue the whole world is facing now, its changing so much in our day-to-day lives, not only in America but everywhere in the world, I know 9/11 is a huge story however Global Warming is a World Wide Issue that we need to adresse.. Fast.
So, in what way is Global Warming acting like a fast spreading virus thats gonna wipe out the world?

I'll paraphrase what George Carlin said.
The planet has been here 5-20 billion years. We’ve been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus 15 billion. And we have the conceit to think that somehow we’re a threat? That somehow we’re gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun?

Now, given the fact that earth has survived everything from dinosaurs, war-obsessed human beings, forest fires, disasterous floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornados, and many other things over the past 10-20 billion years, I think the earth is doing just fine. We aren’t destroying the planet…just our own habitat and means to live. And we won't be around forever, so just enjoy your life and stop worrying about stuff that is beyond our control.

Popular Mechanics is full of shit, as are the pseudo-scientists that wrote the stories.

Please, show me how the most respected science magazine in the world is full of pseudo-scientists. The best defense for facts is usually cussing and accusations though, right?

I'm sure they had something to do with it, I was leaning more towards the CIA bringing Bin Laden into this country and hiring his crew to pull it off. There's so much misinformation out there, that I won't ever claim to have full proof that my beliefs are facts, but I am pretty sure I am correct. And yes, I am fairly certain that the twin towers imploded, not because of jet fuel (which burned up at the time of the explosion), but because of explosive devices that were planted into the buildings prior to the events.

OK, prove it. You can't. Until you can prove something else, what really is your point. You don't believe them because there are two or three questions still floating, and yet, instead of using rational thought, you find the most farflung explanation you can.

And there are plenty of facts that The Illuminati exists, Alex Jones infiltrated a Freemasons Bonesman meeting in California and recorded footage of it. It seemed like it was a devil worship society, it was pretty interesting. But I don't know about their direct involvement with 911.

You're right. Every mason is a member of the Illuminati, so they probably have massive Illuminati ceremonies in front of the general mason population.
Well, the way I see it, the government's involvement with Bin Laden created a pattern and paper trail that leads me to believe that they were definitely involved and helped Bin Laden and his crew execute the attacks.

Great, paper trail equals proof. Now show me all the recorded conversations and receipts that show, beyond a shadow of a doubt that we brought bin Laden's crew in here to rig explosives on the taxpayer's dime.

But like I said, there is so much misinformation out there, there's not any solidified in-your-face evidence to back up my beliefs. Otherwise, there'd be a lot of people within the government that would be sitting in prison cells right now. However, I do not for one second believe that a commercial airliner would take down one tower, at free fall speed by itself. That defeats the laws of physics and is impossible.

Really? You don't think that a jumbo jet flying into a building at 600 mph could break enough beams to jeopardize stability? Here's an idea, the jetfuel burned off the flame ******ant and the natural gas fires weakened the steel. The beams that weren't broken melted. Maybe it wasn't the jet fuel alone. I'm sure that the flame ******ant expends itself keeping fire from starting. I'm sure there was enough fire to go through that.
And if you believe at face value everything the government tells you, including the *official* story behind 911, then you're delusional and borderline ******ed.

So, I don't buy your weak argument, and I am automatically some kind of naive soul? I don't remember saying I buy everything the government says. For instance, I am pretty sure that I am questioning freedom of speech after reading your post. It's not like I believe nationwide health coverage being paid for the tax payer is a good idea.

So, in what way is Global Warming acting like a fast spreading virus thats gonna wipe out the world?

I'll paraphrase what George Carlin said.

Now, given the fact that earth has survived everything from dinosaurs, war-obsessed human beings, forest fires, disasterous floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornados, and many other things over the past 10-20 billion years, I think the earth is doing just fine. We aren’t destroying the planet…just our own habitat and means to live. And we won't be around forever, so just enjoy your life and stop worrying about stuff that is beyond our control.

Global warming is shit. But I like the way you question scientists for Popular Mechanics, yet cite George Carlin as your global warming expert.

We live in a U.S.-centric world...so 9/11 probably gets the nod. However, the Tsunami was likely more devastating.

Honorable mention goes to Hurricane Katrina. That dude WIPED OUT New Orleans. I remember sitting in the lobby of my dorm watching the news coverage on that. It was nuts, man. Sometimes I look up satellite imagery of that thing because it was SO FREAKING HUGE.

We live in a U.S.-centric world...so 9/11 probably gets the nod. However, the Tsunami was likely more devastating.

Honorable mention goes to Hurricane Katrina. That dude WIPED OUT New Orleans. I remember sitting in the lobby of my dorm watching the news coverage on that. It was nuts, man. Sometimes I look up satellite imagery of that thing because it was SO FREAKING HUGE.

Katrina was definitely a very important event, and that area is still in shambles after that hurricane hit. That event in particular scared the ever loving shit out of me because my ex went to school in Mississippi, I was scared shitless for her life. Scary time, and definitely an important event, especially considering the questions it rose about FEMA and the efficiency of our government in the case of a national disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back