Favorite "Hood" Movie?

#hamler

That's all folks.
friday-movie-63722.jpg

Friday
Probably my favorite of the two. Friday is about nothing but two guys (Criag and Smokey) hanging out on the front porch interacting with neighbors throughout the afternoon. Smokey smokes too much weed and owes his dealer money (200$) by 10:00 that night. Pretty much the same stuff happens throughout the movie as they try and find a way to get the money to pay Smokey's dealer back. This movie is a movie I grew up on. Watching it almost every night when I was little. I could probably recite every line. My favorite "hood" movie.

boyz-n-da-hood.gif

Boyz N the Hood
The movie is about 4 friends. Ricky and Doughboy are half brothers. Ricky is the All-American athlete, looking to win a football scholarship to USC and seeks salvation through sports, while 'Dough gets hooked to the violence, alcohol, and crime surrounding him in his environment. They befriend Tre, who is lucky to have a father, and teaches them not to condone to their surroundings. A fantastic movie set in the 90s, the era of gang violence at its peak. A phenomenal movie that gives these types of movie a different feel.

-So basically asking, What's your favorite "Hood" movie?

Use your own judgment to what a hood movie is. You can figure it out.

As an african american I kinda do not like hood films because it shows my race in a negaive aspect, but I will say most are good. I personally like New Jack City, the cast was pretty good, acting and action was too and the story was good too. It showed the crack cocaine issue in the 1980s and how violent of a city NY had become, and detectives and the police trying to stop a drug kingpin who was pretty much until the end of the film untouchable.

Menance 11 Society was another good hood film, acting was solid and so was the stroy, and it showed what could happen to anybody when they get caught up in the gang life. That when you least expect it life can come crashing down. Do not know when, were or how, but it will indeed happen. And its sad the main character in the movie did not live because he had chances but wanted that thug life and when he did wanna leave it was too late.

Gotta be Don't Be a Menace to South Central while Drinking Juice in the Hood. It's a farse of course, but it's so funny and it parodies the genre so perfectly. It's a Wayans brothers movie so it's got their unique humor to it, but it's surprisingly pretty well acted and the comedic timing is brilliant.

Menace II Society, bar none.

It's the one dramatic hood movie I've seen where I can watch it over and over again and never get bored with it. Boyz in the Hood is great for the first couple of times you see it, but it's not intriguing or entertaining enough, in my opinion, to be able to watch it multiple times without getting drained.

Menace II Society just has the perfect mix of drama and comedy. And each character is so interesting. From Caine to O-Dog to Sharif to Cain's grandparents to Ronnie to A-Wax... there's not a boring character in the entire movie, which of course makes it where there's not a boring moment in the entire movie.

Anyways, Friday would be my 2nd favorite. That's another one I could watch over and over again. Juice would be 3rd, while I would put Baby Boy 4th. And it varies from there.

Nobody was a fan of New Jack City? Come on Wesley Snipes as a badass drug kingpin, with Mario Peeples, Ice-T and the guy from the Breakfast Club.

I am partial to Friday. Chris Tucker was hilarious and Ice Cube didn't annoy the piss out of me like he does now a days. Great supporting cast and it wasn't just all stupid humor. Friday actually had a pretty good story to go with it. One of my favorite quotes ever comes from this movie when Tucker says "You just got knocked the fuck out!". Very fun to watch and still is.

My second favorite "hood" film would have to be Don't be a Menace in South Central while Drinking Juice in the Hood. That movie is hilarious and completely opposite of Friday. It is over the top but very fun to watch. The Wayans brothers, especially in the 90's, had a direct line to my funny bone. The drive by shooting at the end of the film is still something that makes me laugh every time.

Above The Rim.

I really enjoyed Tupac's performance in this film. His character was sneaky in this film, but he also had a nasty dark side. Bernie Mac provided some comic relief, and Marlon Wayans surprised me when I first saw this film years ago. I was always used to seeing him as a goofball, and he did provide some laughs in this film, but he made me feel some sympathy for his character with his performance.

Above The Rim featured a good amount of drama, and there were two interesting storylines here. Duane Martin's character was trying to become a man, but he had trouble dealing with his Mom's new boyfriend. Shep was struggling with demons, and you wanted to see if he could move on with his life. Also, this film had an awesome soundtrack.

Juice would be a close second for me. Tupac was just great here. He was so intense, and he did look like a real lunatic at times. There was a good amount of drama here. Seeing four friends be torn apart by a bizarre crime was so gut wrenching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back