F@*# F*@# F#$!: Inquiry Of Profanity

lenguy

First Immortality..Then the Bitches
Hey! You mother fucker! Fuck your mother you anal faced little shit! Go shove an syringe shaped ***** up your fat ass.FUCKER! CUNT FACED LIMPED DICK BITCH!

Ah, who doesn't love to swear from time to time? So I was reading the front page and I got to around reading Cena's twitter and I was astonished when I read that people where offended by his use of the word ass. I pondered a reason how somebody could be offended by this, was it because it was PG and that wasn't necessary, I don't know.

So I began to think about it, Why are people so offended by curse words? You hear them almost on a daily biases, in movies, television, music and even on your radios. Even walking through my local mall today, all I hear is profanity coming from all the teens, the angry mothers and fathers, even the children and people behind the counter. Yet every time I drop the F bomb whether it be intentional or completely accidental I'm told to watch my mouth, there are children around and these are the same people of curse at their children when they do something wrong..yes I'm so the one who should be washing my mouth out with soap,hypocrites I tell ya.

Why do people look down on simple profanity? Yet society gets away with things like sex on t.v and all the violence we are exposed to, yet people get so offended when I utter the word ass. I mean it means the same thing as butt, all ass is is just another 3 letter word to say the same basic thing(its also more fun to say) So why don't people get upset when I say butt as opposed to ass? Same meaning just different lettering. Or bitch? A bitch is technically a female dog so if I use it in that context, people have no excuse to get angry. Fuck I can understand, it does sound like a bad word but in reality its just another word for sex...more exciting sex though.

Still, I'm amazed how less tolerable people are of swears compared to things like all the violence and other adult themes our children are exposed to. I guess some people are to over-sensitive, I mean they are just words at the end of the day, Why are these select words looked down more often as say other words that might not mean anything bad now,but the futures full of doubt...so!

How do you view the state of profanity?

Does cursing in general offend you? Or is how they use it?

Is cursing still as big of a deal as it was say 25 years ago?

What is your view on this topic in general?

I think that profanity is a beautiful thing. I certainly enjoy using it. Grant it, there are sometimes when it is not necessary and not warranted. In these occasions, it should definitely not be used. Example: I don't think that you should speak to a little child as if they were an adult. However, sometimes, it is definitely warranted. When you're angry with someone for instance. It doesn't hurt to tell someone who is annoying to; "Shut the fuck up!" If it's a female, say; "Shut the fuck up......BITCH!" Sometimes it just helps to close a sentence with a curse word.

Does cursing in general offend you or is it in how it's used?

No it doesn't offend me in general. I could care less if someone wanted to curse around me. However, I do think that anyone could be offended if the wrong thing was said. For instance, I'm half black. If someone called me that one thing, I'd go ape shit on them, but if someone just said it in the interest of making a point, it wouldn't matter to me. See what I'm saying?

Is cursing as big of a deal as it was 25 years ago?

I don't think so. When I was kid, I'd rarely ever hear a curse word on television. Now a days, I could be watching a show like House, for instance, and hear bitch, god damn, and even shit. Cursing has become less of a concern over the years and there's no denying that. Hell, shows like Jerry Springer and even Monday Night Raw have helped with that.

Cursing isn't that big of deal. I mean, when you think about it, there are a lot worse things to fear in the media. Sex and violence, drug use. It's all a lot worse then cursing is.

I guess it kind of depends on the word. Saying "fuck, dammit, shit" or any other word isn't really all that bad in my view. But some people get offensive when the word "N*gger" is said. Personally, I think anyone who gets offended over any type of word is an assclown. No matter what said word is--hoe, ****, bitch, n*gger, fucker--it may be disrespectful sometimes but come one, they're just words. Even on this forum, we're prohibited from saying such dirragotory words that are racist. That's not really a problem, but no one should really get offended by it. And like the above poster, I'm half black, but I have never gotten pissed over being called a "n*gger".

Fuck no. In fact, every thread on these forums, I say "Discuss this shit" and have been known to do so in every thread. I never thought it would offend someone. Like I said in my first response, saying anything and someone getting offended by it is pretty ridiculous. No matter what word it is.

Sure it is, teens and even younger children are always exposed to such in movies or music they listen to. I mean when a child hears their favorite rapper say "imma fuck that n*gga up and shot him in the ass" they're likely going to think that's ok, when indeed its not. And with the advances in technology, its gotten worse. I'm not saying we should promote cussing and whatnot, but we damn sure shouldn't kill our children for doing so. It's probably worse now than it's ever been. With so many people getting offended these days over stupid shit, it's easy to say it's worse now.

Kids shouldn't cuss, but neither should their parents. Kids who do cuss, shouldn't have their ass kicked for doing so when infact their parents do. It's not that big of a deal. We just need to respect other people's wishes. And people who do get offended, need to not take it so harsh and write in to said company everytime they hear a word or two.

Fuck yeah! Nice thread and shit.:thumbsup:

I guess it kind of depends on the word. Saying "fuck, dammit, shit" or any other word isn't really all that bad in my view. But some people get offensive when the word "N*gger" is said. Personally, I think anyone who gets offended over any type of word is an assclown. No matter what said word is--hoe, ****, bitch, n*gger, fucker--it may be disrespectful sometimes but come one, they're just words. Even on this forum, we're prohibited from saying such derogatory words that are racist. That's not really a problem, but no one should really get offended by it. And like the above poster, I'm half black, but I have never gotten pissed over being called a "n*gger".

I have to disagree with you on this one. Words aren't just words. Words can indeed hurt. Like you, I'm from KY. I now live in Vegas, but whatever. In my town, I was one of only 3 black students in my high school. The shit that we had to take day in and day out was ridiculous. Everyday I would hear something racist and it just started to get to me. So when someone goes so far as to disrespect me so much as to call me that word, they deserve my reaction and deserve what they get in return.

However, when someone is saying it just to get a response from me, that's a different story. I usually respond with something witty and insulting at the same time.

Annoying. Don't get me wrong, I frequently use curse words in general. But some people use them like there's no tomorow. I mean, I get that you're allowed to say what you want, but at least you could limit how much you say them. Cussing ever ten seconds is over-playing it. Worst of all, its extremely annoying.

No, actually. I've never taken offence to any curse words - mainly due to how much they are overplayed. Thses words have been so overexposed that they have just quite frankly lost all meaning to me. However, I am not everyone else. Some people still view such language to be very offensive and therefore, feel very uncomfortable when in the presence of them.

Nah. It's like I said, profanity has been so extremely over-exposed in the last few years that most of these words are beginning to loose their meaning in them. People use them so often, that it's even now viewed as good to say them. Sure, it's ok to say them; but at least one should have control to how much he or she says them - especially around people who take offence to them as well as children.

Profanity is used in three ways.

1) Curse words (etc) get the attention regular words do not.

2) Curse words (etc) are used to insult people who one views as inferior or has hatred towards.

3) Curse words (etc) are used for no particular reason.

I'm fine with people using all three, but in the very least, there should be a limit to how much they use them. If you curse too much, you will be viewed as very unintelligent. To the same time, you will be viewed as very inconsiderent. Of course, this [probably] isn't so, but that's how you will be viewed by the general public.

All this and the fact that if you use them too much, you will get annoying.

I dont give a fuck about cussing. I do it all the time, it doesnt offend me in the slightest. During sex my bedroom is a palace of cussing lol!

I also dont mind it in films, music or TV, except when it is a bit childish and just done to shock. If thats the way you talk then thats cool, just dont do it to try and make me go "Oh Wow!" or "Ohhh thats sooo bad!" Swear because you want or need to, not to try and make yourself sound bad or cool.

The thing that does bother me about swearing is when it is done around young kids or elderly people. It can really make someone from an older generation uncomfortable or feel threatened and I dont wanna do that. I know I should be able to do what I want but in situations like crowded trains where you are surrounded by old folk, I tend to mind my language out of respect for my elders. It doesnt bother me not swearing, so I dont mind not doing it to ensure they are not offended.

Same with little kids. As I said I swear alot, but the parents of these kids will not want them exposed to bad language at a young age, so again I mind my language. That doesnt bother me at all...as soon as I am away from them, the fucks, shits, ***** and motherfuckers can be let loose again

I think there's a time and a place for it, people are still kind of touchy with it. I don't think you should be at like a church gathering or at the library, or grocery store just throwing out "Oh THIS MOTHERFUCKER AND BITCH etc."

This is where it can get weird. I'm not usually offended by it. Going to my previous statement though, it's offensive or annoying if i'm at like a peaceful place, i.e: The library. I was at the library trying to get some work done, and there was a group of teenage dudes, walking out when I was finishing up, "MAN FUCK THIS LIBRARY!" Just going nuts, cussing up a storm. Like I said, I think there's a time and a place for it, otherwise I could give a shit less.

For some people, some families it is. In general? Nah. There is cursing all over the radio, on TV, movies, newspapers, magazines. There is some form of swearing there. Whether it's small stuff like ass. 25+ years ago, if I was to talk to a friend of mine like I do now, i'd get dirty looks from everyone.

The main thing that bothers me, is the parents who yell at their kids for cursing, or watching inappropriate movies because they have swear words, or listening to inappropriate music, or playing games like GTA IV or whatever has swear words, but they cuss. You can't do that. You can't contradict yourself like that! "JIMMY! DON'T SAY ASS!" "Anyways Martha, that dirty motherfucker didn't pay the child support." Haha, like seriously man? That's no good.

No, it doesnt offend me, and shouldnt offend anyone, becuase it effects absolutely nothing. They are just words. Please, direct me to any book that says these words are words that are "bad" or give me a practical reason that they are "bad" besides the fact that its just generally understood...

for no actual reason. They just, uh, ARE. DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THEY JUST ARE BAD.

Um, no, thats fucking stupid. Just words, get over it. If we suddenly just quit saying they were bad, after a few generations, they would be just as average as any other word. But we say they are bad, with no reference, and for no actual practical reason.

That is stupid.

To me, the effect of profanity is purely a social matter. If you are hanging around your friends, all of whom for the sake of the argument have very loose views on profanity, and one of them tells you to go fuck yourself, then it is unlikely that you will view it as a true insult. They are simply words that carry very little meaning. However, if you find yourself in a church or other similar venue and tell someone the same thing, then chances are you'll be asked to kindly not return. The power behind words depends completely on the people they are said to.

I think the previous leans towards how it is used.

Absolutely not. And frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn. We're desensitized to profanity. It's all around us in everyday life, something that twenty-five years ago would have been met with horror.

Don't curse in front of people if you know it will offend them. It's a common courtesy in my view. If no one cares, and you know they don't care...fucking say whatever shit you want.

I think it's more prominent than it was. I do think, like one guy said, it's very overplayed in certain situations and people tend to use them way too much in certain cases. Just as an example, I saw on YouTube where a female in McDonalds (prob early 20's, or a little younger, i.e. young) was asked by some lady if she could stop cursing in line (she was rattling off a curse word about every 2 seconds) because she didn't want her young daughter to hear it. The girl proceeded to curse and carry on and threaten and call that lady every name in the book, acting like a total jackass. That, to me, is uncalled for and totally out of line. There are things called civility, respect, and basic human decency that I think people could use more.

As a parent now, it offends me when somebody wants to throw the shit around constantly with kids present. I curse, I always have, but I've known when and when not to do it. Even when I was younger, I had enough respect to not blatantly curse around children and even other adults/elders unless it was, say, in a bar-type setting where it's pretty much commonplace. I guess you could call it offending me when I see people do it around a bunch of little kids, or even just people that act in a civilized manner in public. If other people are not doing it, chances are that they don't want to be exposed to it at that present time.

Another thing about how it is used, sure, it denotes emphasis, anger, etc. etc. but you have to consider another thing. In society, it is also considered an act of defiance. People use curse words in open acts of defiance and disrespect when it isn't necessary or even warranted. Sure, they're just words, but the manner in which the words are used does have relevance, and can hurt somebody just in the sense that they are using it to deliberately denounce, ridicule, belittle, and totally try to undermine a person's self-worth. And that can be a devastating thing.

I don't think it is. I think that 25 years ago, it was more taboo to say curse words, especially in public. That's been pretty much thrown out the window today, though. Sure, everybody curses and has for quite some time, it's just that people tended to act a little more civil for the most part and didn't subject anybody and everybody to it in their everyday life and in the media.

In general, I tend to think kind of along the lines as some other posters have said, that they're just words, made up by man, and given the definition of what they are towards society by man. I never understood why it was ok to say crap instead of shit, when they are describing the same thing. Or screw or intercourse instead of fuck. Denotes the same act. Sure, it's a little less crude, and I guess I can understand needing a more delicate way of putting things sometimes, but you're still describing the same thing. But like I said above, it's not entirely the word, but the raw emphasis that the word is being used for that makes it a harmful, or curse, word.

I recently saw , on a number of occasions, both flipping around on tv and out in public where people use the excuse of "freedom of speech" as being able to say what a person wants to say to somebody else regardless of the situation, if it's in public, a place of business and there's no reason for it, etc. etc. One example was on Hardcore Pawn (don't ask me why I stopped on that show) when a guy was being totally belligerent in somebody's place of business when they were being overly respectful to him. He was wrong, too, but that's neither here nor there. He used the excuse that he had "freedom of speech" and that this was America to excuse throwing a tantrum and acting like a moron. I thought of this response which I think kind of puts it in perspective.

Sure this is America and we have freedom of speech, but just as you claim to have the right to act like a selfish, hateful, piece of shit, the other American citizens, who live in this country the same as you do, have the right to NOT put up with that kind of behavior. They have the right to not have to hear that, and that's where the line of respecting others should be drawn.

No, it doesnt offend me, and shouldnt offend anyone, becuase it effects absolutely nothing. They are just words. Please, direct me to any book that says these words are words that are "bad" or give me a practical reason that they are "bad" besides the fact that its just generally understood...

for no actual reason. They just, uh, ARE. DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THEY JUST ARE BAD.

Um, no, thats fucking stupid. Just words, get over it. If we suddenly just quit saying they were bad, after a few generations, they would be just as average as any other word. But we say they are bad, with no reference, and for no actual practical reason.

That is stupid.

I hate to do this but I wholeheartedly disagree. I had little intention of writing here until I saw this response because I didn't think there was much I could say that someone else wouldn't have covered, considereing CL responses are generally worth about 3x a normal non-spam wrestling post due to the depth.

However, on this occasion I'm going to chime in.

Context is the key. You see, you could say words are just words but then why does any set of randomly noises formed by our mouth strung togther in some sort of order produce any response at all? The answer is that words represent something. A word in itself is nothing but a sound, but as we understand a word to refer to something specific it creates an image of what it is we are trying to conjour up, and it is the image that triggers the response.

Taking a basic but extreme example, the phrase "I love you". Once again, sounds. But said in a certain context they create ideas of spending your life with someone, marriage, kids, far-reaching possibilities along with a healthy dose of endorphins most likely. All this meaning created out of three short words. This only happens because of what we understand the words to mean, and verbal communication is the medium by which the ideas are transmitted from one mind to another.

So as I said context, taking the classic example of the word "fuck" there are many context we can use it in. Sexual, frustration (often when joking with friends), but as the thread is about the potential to offend let's use the offensive example. E.g. Fuck you, fuck off, what the fuck do you want? All these and more a way of venting genuine anger towards a certain person or object. It doesn't upset people because of the resonance the sound waves have reflecting in the ear drum. When someone tells you seriously to fuck off, you get a feeling of being unwanted by someone, that you've done something wrong and the end result is that you generally feel bad about yourself. But that is only in a given context with the proper desire behind it.

No here is where it gets a little bit more complicated. When John Cena said "Ass", it isn't directed at children or the parents of children so why are they offended? Good question indeed. Well I think we can all agree swear or curse words are very strong words, generally used in examples where an ordinary word or phrase won't do a situation justice. People who swear often in an offensive matter, e.g. Fuck off as opposed to Oh Fuck!, are therefore either overly keen in using these words of highly potency or they have such extreme emotions and mean so deeply to offend that swearing truly sums up how they feel. This means these people are emotionally unbalanced and therefore not good role models for their kids, and WWE is a family show. It sound a far stretch as not many people seem to know why exactly they dislike swearing, but there is in fact a good reason as I believe I have just shown.

And the evidence is laid out bare to prove me right. We have all heard people with turmoil and poor relationships. They end up using swear words in this context often because they do feel a lot of extreme emotions, because they are emotionally unstable.

Now there are contexts where no harm or offence is intended. If your with friends and you say "oh shit", it isn't directed at anyone, it's just meant playfully, and yes in in these situations it is wrong to judge people using the words poorly because of it. But when, as cena did, you use it as some kind of derogatory remark towards someone meant to create negative emotions in that person, you can't blame a by-stander for being offended, and it is irrelevant if 99% of us were completely unoffended. Quite frankly most people in my age and gender category wouldn't be offended by something like that because guess what?......were assholes, we like to see other people be assholes, makes us feel better about ourselves.

I'm always very weary when someone's stance on swearing is that it's just words. I invite anyone to go to a guy in the street and tell him you had sex with his mum, then try explaining to the guy that it's just words, it'll be about as easy as it sounds.

You see it really is all context.

Uh, alright. Call me an idiot, but I sat here and read all of that, and couldnt really grasp how its at all relevant to what I said. Yea, I know its all about context. The words add passion and sharpness to any context, when they are needed, nothing more.

"Step off!" or "FUCK OFF, BITCH!!!" which one is more seriously meant"

"Im gonna thump your butt, mister!!" or "I AM GOING WHIP YOU MOTHERFUCKING ASS, MOTHERFUCKER"...which one is more likely to happen?

Passion, that is it. Passion and expression of high levels of emotion. If thats what it is, then thats what it is. No need to be offended.

I think that the problem with profanity is that different people view it in different ways. Most people who use profanity frequently do not think it is a big deal. More often than not they will not know the true meaning of the words they use and use it merely as a way to express anger, passion or other such emotions.

The ones who do not use profanity see it as a big deal. They are generally the ones who will know the exact meaning of every cuss word that has ever been invented and do take it literally more often than not.

Personally I don't like to use profanity and am frankly disgusted by it. It does sound harsh. I do understand that the people who use profanity do not mean it literally but all the same I do not think that profanity serves any purpose except perhaps as the lowest form of insult. How would you feel if you came to know that ANYONE was having sex with their mom or sister? I would feel like throwing up. The mere thought is pretty disgusting so why should you want to spell it out by using it? There are thousands of other words you can use in the situation and is it a neccesity to use profanity?

So yeah, I feel that profanity just makes the person using it look bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back