Edge's Best WWE Year

Edge's best year?

Results are only viewable after voting.

cmedge

The Abdi
The Rated R Superstar is going to be a WWE Hall of Famer. I for one am very happy with this decision to have Edge be in the HOF. It's a shame that he had to retire a little early in his career but out of all the years in his hall of fame career what year was the best? I'll give you my favourites.

2002- Edge was a very over babyface on Smackdown having big matches with Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho and Brock Lesnar. I thought he was very ready for the main event then.

2006- A little late but in my opinion this was his best year. He had a legendary feud with John Cena and he was the biggest star of that year in my opinion. I feel that Edge deserved to hold the WWE Title when he first won it for longer.

2008- Another one of my personal faves. Edge was the biggest star on Smackdown having a legendary feud with The Undertaker that resulted in many amazing matches/moments. Edge carried Smackdown on his back that year and was a great World Champ.

A list of his years and my opinions

1998- Didn't care much for
1999- Improved
2000- Good
2001 - Great
2002- Awesome
(I don't count 2003)
2004- Okay
2005- Better
2006 - Best
2007- Great
2008 - Epic
2009- Good (While It lasted due to Injury)
2010- Okay
2011- Decent

Edge is a bonafied HOF and is one of my favourite WWE Superstars of All time what year did he stick out the most for all of you? His best year in the WWE.

I'm torn between 2006 and 2008...

BUT, I'm going with '06, the overall year might not be the most popular in WWE's history, but it was Edge's best year. He got over as a huge heel and his feud with Cena was a classic. Plus, we can't forget Rated RKO!! Edge carried the team and they had a great feud with DX.

2006 was the best year for the Rated R Superstar.

I think it would be hard to make a case for any year besides 2006.

Edge had a great career, but he was the top heel in the company during 2006, winning the WWE title twice, having an epic feud with John Cena, and putting on a very well received hardcore match with Mick Foley.

From 2001 - 2005 Edge was a great upper mid-carder, but 2006 cemented his status as a main event wrestler.

I'm so torn here. Edge is without a doubt my favorite wrestler, so I'll try to put the markiness aside for a minute. While I can see arguments made for 2001 and 2008, 2005 and 2006 were Edge's overall best years in his professional wrestling career. 2006 was full of accolades Edge can put under his belt. News Years Revolution, he defeated Shawn Michaels in an excellent matchup. At Wrestlemania in the first ever Money in the Bank ladder match, Edge won, gaining himself a contract that gave him a shot at the World Heavyweight championship within one year. The MiTB win would make this one of Edge's best years.

Edge would eventually earn more heat than anyone on the WWE roster when news broke that he and Lita were having a (real-life) affair. This prompted Matt Hardy's return and caused what I believe to be Matt Hardy's best feud in his entire wrestling career. Edge beat the shit out of Hardy and would go on to put on a weird yet memorable feud with Kane. 2005 was the year Edge followed in Roddy Piper's footsteps and adopted his own Raw talk show, The Cutting Edge.

In 2006, he started off amazing with a great match with Flair at New Years revolutions. However, that was completely over looked that night because of his cash in on John Cena. Keep in mind this was the first cash in ever so it was completely by surprise. Not to mention it was nine fucking months later and everyone had totally forgotten about the briefcase. The Championship win in itself is enough to call this his best year. However, it's only January.

In the months that followed, his feud with Cena was what I would definitely call his best. It was personal. It was long, thought out and very well written. At Wrestlemania, he faced Mick Foley and won via spear through a flaming table which is undoubtedly one of WWE's top OMG moments. In the height of the shitty ECW revival era, at One Night Stand, Edge was the star of the phenomenal match that featured great hardcore greats like Tommy Dreamer, Terry Funk and Mick Foley himself. Edge would soon win the title back from RVD, and feud some more with Cena which included a great TLC match.

I'll stop there because I don't believe Rated RKO was all too great even though feuding with Shawn Michaels and Triple H is a huge accomplishment.

Overall, 2006 was probably the better year. However, you cannot over look what all Edge accomplished in 2005. Without 2005, there's no doubt Edge wouldn't be anywhere near the level he is placed on today. He got over. Way over in 2005. He aired his personal problems on air and that resulted in him being on of the best heels of the decade. That took balls. He developed his character that would follow him to the end of his career in 2011. Even though 2006 was better, 2005 is right behind it.

2002 for me. It was the year he proved he was more than a tag team wrestler.

His feud with Kurt Angle produced some of the best matches of that year, and in my view made him look credible as a wrestler. Angle was the most technically gifted athlete in the WWE at that time. When that feud started, I didn't think Edge could hang with him in the ring, but he proved me dead wrong.

Even in the times he did the tag team matches, his partners were the biggest names in the business. The Rock, HHH, Steve Austin and of course Hogan. His mini run with Mysterio featured the best tag team match outside of TLC I have ever seen (look up Edge and Rey vs Angle and Benoit).

The real disappointing thing was the WWE was clearly setting Edge up to be the man in 2003 after his great matches with Brock Lesnar near the end of the year. Of course that neck injury completely derailed his career at that point and he was never the same performer after that.

2006-2008 were obviously his main event years, but they could have been so much better had the WWE listened to the fans. Edge had so much momentum after his cash in at NYR, only to have it snuffed out 3 weeks later putting the belt back on Superman. Though it did lead to the best feuds in ages, I feel it was a wasted chance.

2008 obviously Edge was the king of Smackdown. It got to the point where his promos were the main event of the show.

I'd say 2007. He shocked everyone by coming over to SmackDown, and had the best title reign of his career, which could have been the one great title reign he would have had if he hadn't been injured.

2006 was his best year! He won his first world championship which led to many more, He had one of the best feuds of the decade with John Cena (& HHH & RVD) and towards the end of the year he aligned himself with Randy Orton to make RATED RKO, who were IMO, one of the most gifted tag teams of the decade!

2006-2008 were obviously his main event years, but they could have been so much better had the WWE listened to the fans. Edge had so much momentum after his cash in at NYR, only to have it snuffed out 3 weeks later putting the belt back on Superman. Though it did lead to the best feuds in ages, I feel it was a wasted chance.

Here's the thing; when you want to get a heel super, hugely, mega over like Edge was during his heyday, you pit them against the company's top face in hoping to do so. By doing that, Edge can pretty much sit there and garner heat from the audience. However he didn't. Edge went that extra step. Whether it was the live sex celebration that all too many of us remember or slapping Cena's father in the face, Edge gained massive heat that stayed with him all throughout his time as a heel. He has guys like Undertaker and John Cena to thank for that even though both ‘Taker and Cena came out on top in both of their respective feuds.

As for the title change at Royal Rumble '06, I feel the titles changes in general throughout this feud were all too necessary because it gave us a feeling that anything could happen. You never knew who would eventually come out on top. This feud helped establish Edge for the better. Without it, it would be hard to tell if Edge would have been anything more than we see him now. Edge's feud with Cena definitely helped Edge more than it hurt him – the pros outweigh the cons.

It comes down to 2006 or 2008. 2006 began of course with his cash-in against Cena to win the first of 11 world championships. The feud with Cena would continue into the end of the year, providing fans with an angle that was among the best that both guys have been involved with. He also got his own custom title, the Rated R Spinner Championship. I have to give it to 2008 though because he was consistently the top guy of Smackdown that year and put on more than one feud of the year candidate that year. Ever since he cashed in on Taker in early 2007, Edge went on to become the face of Smackdown. In 2008 he didn't share the spotlight with anyone. He carried the blue brand. It was HIS show. We also saw some of his best work in his extensive feuds with both Undertaker and Triple H. He led the La Familia stable and took his Ultimate Opportunist gimmick to the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back