• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Edge - The Overrated "R" Superstar

ok if ur going to say edge is overrated u need start threads about wrestlers being overrated with the likes of jeff hardy matt hardy undertaker bigshow hhh i can go on and on and u call him a cheater? hmmmmmm...have u ever heard of a gimmick?so i dont think u can call him overrated

Honestly, I think Edge is better as a face. His character, and his career just demand that kind of respect, and response from the crowd. The problem is that he plays the heel so well. In this case if Edge were a face I think it would be much easier to find his antagonists. If this were true I think Edge as a face, and HHH as the heel would be legendary. Edge is definitely a star that any one legend can pass the torch to. Since Edge is a heel I would have to say CM Punk has to be the best bet for his foe at this juncture in his career. Punk won his first world title against Edge, and I'm sure Edge feels that it was a fluke. The history for a great feud is there.

First of all, I hate the word OVERATTED...many of you overuse that word like its a damn ATM machine. Second of all, who is Smackdown's NUMBER 1 HEEL RIGHT NOW? Yes you will say he generated a lot of that heel heet because of the women he associated with but come on dude, Edge has cemented himself as a Main Eventer. It is very believable that he can beat John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, three credible main eventers. The fact is that it doesnt matter how many titles or how long the reigns were, Mankind is a main eventer and his title reigns were crap. Yet people see him as a main eventer, so it is ultimately true that Edge has done everything he can to establish himself as a main event player in WWE today.

First of all, I hate the word OVERATTED...many of you overuse that word like its a damn ATM machine.
you might say that the word Overrated is overrated. :p

Anyway back on topic, Edge is not overrated. the guy deserves to be where he is. He has been almost singly hanndedly carrying Smackdown for the last couple of years. He has done so much in his career he deserves the respect and admiration people give him. He is deffenatly the best Heel on smackdown at the moment. His character is great and he fits the name ultimate oppertunist.

ok if ur going to say edge is overrated u need start threads about wrestlers being overrated with the likes of jeff hardy matt hardy undertaker bigshow hhh i can go on and on and u call him a cheater? hmmmmmm...have u ever heard of a gimmick?so i dont think u can call him overrated

What I am trying to say is that he is overated in terms of how high people rate him compared to other heels in the business (past and present).

Edge is a good heel.
Edge is NOT the best heel.

I just don't see Edge anywhere near the level of Orton, Jericho, HHH (When he's heel) or even Vince McMahon. Edge is good, but not the best like so many people think, just my opinion.

What makes Edge better than those other names? Are you basing it solely on title reigns or is that dry sarcasm? I'm talking about overall performance along with accomplishments. As well as how the performance enhanced or devalued the said accomplishment. World Champion A is not equal to World Champion B simply because they both won world titles. There are degrees to all champions.

Well then, lets look at overall accomplishments. But first, let's review the Championship issue. You see, you wanna base accolade's off ratings, and weird shit. But when you look at most Hall of Fame wrestlers, they got their because of Championships, and their overall value within the company.

Not everyone can be Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin or John Cena, but that doesn't mean they can't be just as good, if not a hell of a lot better in other areas. Each individual has their own quality, and deserves to be seen great for specific reasons. So what if Edge hasn't sold out arenas like Hogan, doesn't mean he isn't or couldn't be just as great. So what if Edge hasn't sold as much merch. as Austin, or Cena.. doesn't mean he isn't equal or just as great.. all depends on how you base everything off of.

Edge, as a Champion, could be viewed as far greater than any of them.. because he's had a more in-depth title history. Regardless how he got any of those titles. (and if you even attempt to disclaim that, I will bring up the Hogan finger poke shit)

Now then.. Edge's title history is as follows.

WCW United States Championship (1 time)
World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (11 times) – with Christian (7), Chris Benoit (2), Randy Orton (1), and Hulk Hogan (1)
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
WWE Championship (4 times, current)
WWE Tag Team Championship – with Rey Mysterio (1)
King of the Ring (2001)
Money in the Bank (2005, 2007)

As far as his other accomplishments, he's done numerous things to make a name for himself within the company..

Starting with the fact that he, along with Christian (who was always seen as the weaker half) re-revolutionized the Tag Team industry. You can say it was the Hardyz, you can claim the Dudleyz did their part.. but out of those teams, who was the team on top? E&C.

He drove home the Money in the Bank match to mean something, and make winning a Championship a truly marvelous thing, as with the case, it could truly happen at any time, any where, for any reason.

He became one of the most hated men in the business, all because of an outside issue that he didn't even want involved. Yet it got involved, and as result, it pretty much turned him into a wrestling famous heel.

I'm by no means upset, but he is overrated. If he is so good with his character and his gimmick where is the development? Why is it the same exact thing? Where is the innovation? If he is so good then he should be constantly evolving...which he isn't. He is running the same storyline but still being billed as a dominant champion which many people buy into. I however do not.

What the hell are you talking about? Are we even talking about the same person? You do realize Edge has evolved more than any other Professional Wrestler in the company, right?

He's went from..

a Gothic enigma.. to a.. cocky showman.. to a.. crazed asshole.. to a.. Rated R Superstar.. to an.. Ultimate Opportunist.

What the fuck did guy's like Hogan, Austin, Cena, Triple H., Kane, or the Undertaker ever do? Where were their evolutions?

Edge has changed vastly over time, and has evolved with the best of them, to make himself constantly new and innovative, not to mention current and fresh, instead of stale and old.

What are some top quality moves Edge does? Signature move or otherwise? Put someone through a table? Hit someone with a chair? Remove turnbuckle padding? Hell Vince can do that, does he have a great moveset? If he does have a top quality moveset, name some actual wrestling moves that he does. But you can't because he doesn't. Its punch, kick, rest hold, arm drag, punch, irish whip, clothesline. Give me Chris Jericho, HHH, Randy Orton, or hell even Batista or Cena. At least I'll see more than 4 actual moves. Boring.

Really? You wanna continue with the moveset issue, fine.. here it is. (taken from wiki)

Downward Spiral (Leg hook reverse STO)
Edgecator (Kneeling inverted sharpshooter)
Edgecution/Impaler DDT (Lifting DDT)
Edge–O–Matic
One man con–chair–to – In hardcore matches (gimmick move)
Spear
Signature moves
Yakuza Kick
Diving crossbody
Electric chair facebuster
Falling inverted DDT
Flapjack
Half nelson bulldog
Hurricanrana
Missile dropkick
Russian legsweep
Seated chinlock
Spinning wheel kick

Well over 80% of those moves he still does. While he may not use the Downward Spiral much anymore, or the Edgecator, he does practically everything else. And then some.

So.. happy?

Your question is who has a "great" moveset. Well the obvious answer is great wrestlers have great movesets. Edge is not great. The greats are HBK, Jericho, HHH, Undertaker, Kane....in the past there was The Rock, Angle, Ric Flair, Brock Lesnar, and many more. Do you want me to go on? You can't honestly say Edge has a better set of in ring moves than any of those guys?

Are you a Kane mark or something? You've constantly mentioned him within this debate and I'm questioning why, when Kane truly hasn't done shit in the industry that makes him stand out more than a halloween decoration.

At any rate, fine.. let's continue down the moveset portion of our debate..

Triple H. (knee buster, spinebuster, knee to face, punches, kicks, clothesline, punches to head in seated position, ddt, crossface, pedigree)

H.B.K. (nip up, flying forearm, inverted atomic drop, elbow drop, inverted figure four, chops, crossface, flip in corner, superkick)

Jericho: (lionsault, walls of Jericho, code breaker, chop, hurricanrana, springboard drop kick)

Taker (old school, choke holds, hell's gate, chokeslam, clothesline, big boot, sit-up, tombstone, powerbomb)

Kane: (choke holds, tombstone, sit-up, big boot, clothesline, being everyone's bitch, chokeslam, powerbomb)

I didn't say Edge isn't unique, I actually said he is unique. He has a very distinct look that is hard to duplicate and one that we rarely see in the main event. Also I didn't say Edge sucks, I think Edge is entertaining, and a decent performer (but so is Santino). BUT Edge is overrated, and that's what my point is.

You almost sound like a hypocrite. You praise him for being unique, and having a look or type of character that's hard to duplicate in the Main Event, then you claim Santino is the same and say he's overrated.

Good point, all good matches. But are they great matches? Have they made their place in history? I don't think so. They don't compare to the real all time great matches with real champions.

Edge put T.L.C. matches on the map. Once again, place the Hardyz, Christian & the Dudleyz all along side him.. but he's still apart of who did it.

And if you're refering to matches without gimmicks, I'd say his KotR match against Angle could top a couple you've listed below. His feud with Shawn Michaels could rival almost any you've listed below. His Tag Team title victory with Hulk Hogan would make any type of historical book you have. And the way he's won a couple of his Heavyweight Championships (M.I.T.B.) would be innovative and history making in themselves.

HBK vs. Angle WM21

How does this belong in history? Because it was a good match? So was Edge v. Angle's Hair v. Hair match, doesn't mean it has any huge value.

Macho Man vs. Steamboat WM3

One of the most overrated matches in the history of the Intercontinental title. But alas, I'll give you the point of it holding historical value.. why, I don't have a clue, but it does.

HBK vs. Cena WM23

How is this historical? Because it shows that the W.W.E. can find a replacement for a match they'd been building for monthes? Triple H. was originally suppose to face Cena, he got injured, Shawn got the nod. The match ended up being a great match.. far from historical though.

Hogan vs. Rock WM18

This is the only one I'll give you.

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart WM10

Edge v. Christian is the modern day Bret Hart v. Owen Hart feud that never got a full push. (of course you'd have to go by believing Edge & Christian were brothers)

HBK vs. Flair WM24

Lame. When Flair has his next match, likely against Jericho & WM 25, this match will mean less than Hornswoggle v. Great Khali.. because the whole purpose of this match, was for Flair to have a great send-off and retirement.

HBK vs. Cena Monday Night Raw (After WM23)

Uhm? Why? Because it went an hour? It wasn't the first, and won't be the last. What's the historical value here?

The Rock vs. HHH Iron Man Match (Judgement Day)

See above.

I can go on and on. Edge does not have great matches that will go down in history. They pale in comparison to the other great matches that we have had the privelage to see. He has had some good gimmick matches that will be remembered, but the gimmick is what put the match over not his in ring ability or his ability to CARRY a match.

Edge v. John Cena (cashing in MITB) will go down in history.
Edge v. C.M. PUnk (Punk becoming Champion) will go down in history.
T.L.C. went down in history.
Edge "retiring" the Undertaker will hold about as much as Flair/HBK.
Edge against Angle (hair v hair, kotr)
Edge v. Foley (Mania 23)

I could continue with matches that will actually go down in history, because of what happened in them, or what took place regarding them. And before you say some of those are gimmicks.. so fucking what?

I didn't know in order to be a good, great, or perfect wrestler, it meant you couldn't have great gimmick matches. Tell Austin that for his Mania 13 match against Hart. Tell HBK that for his ladder match, Iron man match, or HIAC match.

The thread is about Edge being overrated, not Hardy. But yes Hardy did carry the matches. That doesn't mean Edge didn't do a good job, because he did...but its not that big of a deal...the guy is overrated.

Hardy didn't carry anything other than Edge's nuts in Hardy's mouth.

And which Hardy are you refering to again? Better yet, let's review both.. since Edge made them both anyways.

Jeff: His World title victory came because Edge allowed it to happen. Triple H. refused to be pinned and give Hardy the title, and having Hardy go over Edge made his victory that much greater.

Hardy is a spot-monkey, and has only had ONE solid match without hitting spot after spot, or involving some type of gimmick. Thus, he can't do anything in a match unless he can use a gimmick. Meanwhile, Edge carried everyone in that 3-way title match, with his charisma and heel heat.

Matt: Edge single handedly saved his career, by fucking his ex girlfriend. Matt should let Edge start fucking anyone he decides to date, simply as a thank you. Check and Mate.

So what is your point? Edge didn't carry the Undertaker, The Undertaker carried Edge. Who cares what Taker was doing before or after their matches? The Edge feud allowed for some good story telling and it involved the title, who wouldn't want to put on a show in that scenario? That still doesn't take away the fact that Edge is overrated.

How did Taker carry Edge? Taker's undefeated streak is the only thing that makes him anymore. But to make anyone believe Taker could finally lose at a Mania, you'd have to believe that individual would be the one carrying the other. Thus, Edge carried Taker.

As for the feud, it was Edge and the storyline behind Edge, that carried Taker through the following months and made him continue to remain interesting, instead of floating from meaningless feud to feud. Thus, Edge carried the Undertaker.

And it DOES take away Edge being overrated, because someone can't be overrated if they're carrying talent of that magnitude. Not to mention single handedly helping new talent to evolve. (Punk, Hardys, etc)

I wouldn't exactly say carried. Ratings went waaaaaay down when he jumped in the main event scene, and ratings mean everything. They are only picking back up now because they are implementing fresh storylines and developing new characters.

Okay, you do realize ONE PERSON doesn't equal out the entire ratings of an entire show. People tuned in to see Edge. If they didn't, then why was he (is he still) in the Main Event, and involved in every major storyline since moving to Smackdown?

Each "fresh" storyline you refer to.. involves Edge. Each "new talent" you refer to, will have to go through Edge, and it'll be because of who he is, that makes them become what they will.

So you're going to put him down on the same page as other 7 time champions, because he used the ultimate opportunist angle to win his titles? We'll put him down with the greats when he puts on a great match and wins the strap cleanly as a heel or face. But he can't do that because he isn't good enough, so they have to find another way to put him over. He is good, but he is not great. Edge is overrated.

Why the fuck would, or rather should, he win the Championship cleanly as a heel? It's his job as a heel, to cheat. (ie. that's what heels do, they cheat)

And what's this "they have to find ways to put him over".. he's already fucking over. He's the most over guy around. If he wasn't, don't you think he would've been released, or at least dropped out of the Main Event scene by now?

You don't see Snitsky around, do you? Because he wasn't over and wasn't a good heel.

Yeah he is good. But he is overrated...my previous points made support my statement. You aren't making a case as to why he isn't overrated, all you are doing is picking out parts of my post.

And I'll continue to pick your posts apart, because you're making very wild opinionated comments that don't prove why you feel what you do. All you've said is you feel he's overrated, and you've listed names you believe he's not as good as, yet you've failed to mention why.. other than the classic.. "dispite being heel, he's just not good because he can't win a title cleanly." case.

Oh, that was a good one. Got anymore? Maybe something that can hold ground this time??

Uhm last I checked CM Punk was in the same EXACT position this year as he was last year...the mid card.

I didn't know it was Edge's job to change diapers and clean Punk's ass too. Edge put him over, by basically laying the fuck down. What more do you want from the guy?!

Punk's aftermath from that, and his run as Champion then fell on Punk to float or sink. It's not Edge's fault. Edge did his job, he made Punk a believeable winner. (even if he had to get beat up prior and pretend to be unconscious.)

If you are basing it solely on amount of title reigns then yes he is at the top. But I am not. I am basing it on everything and using title reigns as a reference point to other greats. He is near the bottom. What former champion still employed is he better than (sans CM Punk)? I'll give you Hardy as an arguing point just to give you a headstart, but you won't go further than that because he's not better than any of them.

Lets see.. he's constantly remained in the Main Event since his move to Smackdown in 2007.. That's more than Batista, the Undertaker, Kane, Big Show, Punk, Hardy, J.B.L., Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Orton, and the Great Khali.

He's managed to draw fan reaction from everything he does, regardless of what it is. That's more than.. Jericho, Hardy, Punk, Khali, Big Show, Taker, Kane, and J.B.L.

And he's won more Championships and more high profile matches than anyone else on the entire roster. (that's an assumption, as I haven't counted everyone's matches.. yet going from the 7 title victories since Dec. 05.)

If championships elevate him above Hogan, then you win...but Championships alone don't elevate you above someone. If that's the case Flair would be the undisputed king of professional wrestling, and Raven would be the greatest Hardcore wrestler ever with his 27 Hardcore championship reigns. Please don't use championships as a sole measuring stick. (If I am interpreting your last statement wrong then I retract). Also, Edge like Mother Teresa? What? I'll dismiss that as humor and won't comment on it. Edge is overrated.

Why don't you start by telling me what you believe Edge has done, that makes him "overrated". Because all I've managed to get from you.. is the ever so classic "hes a heel who doesn't win cleanly".

You've claimed he's weak, yet isn't a heel suppose to look "weak" compared to a top ranked face? So he's going a great job. Yet at the same time, he isn't as weak as you'd have him appear, as hes also one step ahead.. always being capable of getting the title back.

In the end, it truly sounds to me like you're some type of Hardy mark, who's likely upset and pissed off that Edge has once again taken the top spot..

Well then, lets look at overall accomplishments. But first, let's review the Championship issue. You see, you wanna base accolade's off ratings, and weird shit. But when you look at most Hall of Fame wrestlers, they got their because of Championships, and their overall value within the company.

Not everyone can be Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin or John Cena, but that doesn't mean they can't be just as good, if not a hell of a lot better in other areas. Each individual has their own quality, and deserves to be seen great for specific reasons. So what if Edge hasn't sold out arenas like Hogan, doesn't mean he isn't or couldn't be just as great. So what if Edge hasn't sold as much merch. as Austin, or Cena.. doesn't mean he isn't equal or just as great.. all depends on how you base everything off of.

Edge, as a Champion, could be viewed as far greater than any of them.. because he's had a more in-depth title history. Regardless how he got any of those titles. (and if you even attempt to disclaim that, I will bring up the Hogan finger poke shit)

Now then.. Edge's title history is as follows.

WCW United States Championship (1 time)
World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (11 times) – with Christian (7), Chris Benoit (2), Randy Orton (1), and Hulk Hogan (1)
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
WWE Championship (4 times, current)
WWE Tag Team Championship – with Rey Mysterio (1)
King of the Ring (2001)
Money in the Bank (2005, 2007)

Sorry to inform you of the obvious, but I really feel the need to do just that. This isn’t 50 years ago when championships actually meant something, this is present day wrestling and in the present day wrestling landscape championships are nothing but props. Nothing less, nothing more. To claim Edge is better then legends because he’s had 7 World title reigns is laughable. Laughable! Especially since I’m not even sure you could claim one of his title reigns was meaningful, for they were short reigns that were used, as I stated before, as props.

You can argue he’s great for other reasons, other accomplishments and other accolades he’s done throughout his career, but on championships? That’s the most short sighted thing anyone could judge a person’s career on. Jerry Lawler had more World title reigns then Ric Flair, technically, is he anywhere near the top of great wrestling lists? Of course not.

And your argument that wrestlers have gotten into the Hall of Fame because of championships is so entirely asinine. Are you kidding me? Name one legend in the Hall of Fame that got in because of his championship history? Please, I‘m waiting.

Starting with the fact that he, along with Christian (who was always seen as the weaker half) re-revolutionized the Tag Team industry. You can say it was the Hardyz, you can claim the Dudleyz did their part.. but out of those teams, who was the team on top? E&C.

Can you get anymore biased? Seriously. You’ve got such a stiff boner for Edge that your view and opinion can’t even be seen as credible because its so entirely biased. Edge & Christian suddenly get all the credit for revolutionizing tag team wrestling back in the Attitude Era? Are you clueless? I do recall them trading title reigns time and time again during that time with both the Hardyz and the Dudleyz. I do recall both those other teams being involved in the revolutionary Tables, Ladders and Chairs matches. It would’ve been called Ladders, and they’d be wrestling invisible people otherwise! I do believe tag team wrestling flourished during that time because of the feuding between the teams, and all men participating and setting the bar for each other. Edge & Christian wouldn’t have revolutionized shit if it wasn’t for the competition they had and the other teams they were in rivalries and matches with. It doesn’t work with ONE team.

He drove home the Money in the Bank match to mean something, and make winning a Championship a truly marvelous thing, as with the case, it could truly happen at any time, any where, for any reason.

Oh, of course! Because he was the only one IN the match. I’d forgotten that great spectacle. I’m glad you reminded me of the totally awesomeness that was Edge when he went into Money in the Bank and awed the crowd by competing all by himself, with no help from anyone else, and stole the briefcase. And I’d almost forgotten that Edge invented the concept that the Money in the Bank briefcase can be used at any time, anywhere, for any reason. That wasn’t the original concept at all! That wasn’t the entire purpose of Money in the Bank from the beginning!

He became one of the most hated men in the business, all because of an outside issue that he didn't even want involved. Yet it got involved, and as result, it pretty much turned him into a wrestling famous heel.

And it makes him the best because he cheated on his wife and screwed the girlfriend of one of his best friends? Wow… if that’s all it takes to become the best wrestler in the world, count me in!

What the hell are you talking about? Are we even talking about the same person? You do realize Edge has evolved more than any other Professional Wrestler in the company, right?

I do believe that’s perspective. Look at Matt Hardy when he first entered the WWE, explore every stage he’s gone through from a jobbing tag team wrestler looking like the Rockers, to the Hardyz under Michael Hayes, to members of the Brood, to Team Extreme, to Matt Hardy V1, to Matt Hardy “I Will not Die”, to the present heel Hardy being developed. Look at JBL whose gone from some cowboy wearing Texan, to an Acolyte, to beer drinking hired hit men with Farooq, to the current JBL! Look at Randy Orton whose gone from gimmick less rookie, to a member of Evolution, to the Legend Killer, to a heel with even more depth. I really think there’s lots of people you can look at and see a ton of evolution to their character, just like Edge.

What the fuck did guy's like Hogan, Austin, Cena, Triple H., Kane, or the Undertaker ever do? Where were their evolutions?

Guys like Hogan and Cena didn’t need to evolve their characters to make themselves the biggest names of their era. They naturally had that IT factor and became huge far, far, far sooner in their careers then Edge did. That proves how good they are, they didn’t need to struggle and continue to redefine themselves and grasp for that main event plateau, their star was undeniable and unavoidable and that’s why they are stars that carry the entire company. Austin? You’re actually so uninformed that you don’t know, or see Austin’s evolution? He had a career long before the WWE, and you can clearly see his evolution throughout his time in WCW from Stunning Steve Austin, to one half of the Hollywood Blonds. His evolution is so blatantly clear in his short time in ECW. Even in the WWE from his Ringmaster persona, to the beginnings of the Stone Cold gimmick, to the mega star he became. To even attempt to say Steve Austin hasn’t evolved is so close minded its hilarious. And the HHH? Are you kidding me? How can you not see the crazy evolution of his character… from the Blue Blood, to DX, to the Game, to the King of Kings and leader of Evolution, to the face he is now. You’re so short sighted by your love for Edge you’re blind, because HHH likely has far more layers (and far more meaningful feuds, matches, and title reigns then Edge I might add).

Edge has changed vastly over time, and has evolved with the best of them, to make himself constantly new and innovative, not to mention current and fresh, instead of stale and old.

Is that because people have grown bored of him and so he’s been forced to evolve? Yes, I do believe so. Others haven’t needed to evolve because their star, their name value, and their essence carries them alone. That’s the difference.

Really? You wanna continue with the moveset issue, fine.. here it is. (taken from wiki)/quote]

Downward Spiral (Leg hook reverse STO)
Edgecator (Kneeling inverted sharpshooter)
Edge–O–Matic
Diving crossbody
Electric chair facebuster
Falling inverted DDT
Flapjack
Half nelson bulldog
Hurricanrana
Missile dropkick
Spinning wheel kick

When’s the last time you saw Edge use any of these moves? Please let me know. Because I think you’re full of it.

And if you're referring to matches without gimmicks, I'd say his KotR match against Angle could top a couple you've listed below. His feud with Shawn Michaels could rival almost any you've listed below. His Tag Team title victory with Hulk Hogan would make any type of historical book you have. And the way he's won a couple of his Heavyweight Championships (M.I.T.B.) would be innovative and history making in themselves.

Are you kidding? I’ve got all the respect and love in the world for Edge, but come on. Yes, his KotR match with Angle was a great match, but it certainly isn’t being remembered by anyone for standing out beyond others. His very KotR victory isn’t remembered beyond other former KotR winners, either. What feud with Shawn Michaels? I don’t even remember the details, that’s how memorable it was. You have got to be kidding about his Tag Team title victory with Hogan, because its not going to standout at all.

You seem to think his “Opportunistic” style of winning is something groundbreaking or revolutionary. Sorry to tell you, but there’s been other wrestlers who’ve done it before him. Of course the content is different, but the concept isn’t. Remember when Ted Dibiase had Andre the Giant beat Hulk Hogan for the WWE Championship, only to take the opportunity to buy the belt from him. That was just as unique and just as opportunistic. Ric Flair coined the heel win long before Edge was around. I’m not denying Edge anything, but you’re acting like he’s some original or something.

One of the most overrated matches in the history of the Intercontinental title. But alas, I'll give you the point of it holding historical value.. why, I don't have a clue, but it does.

You’re claiming a match that’s viewed as not only one of the greatest matches in WrestleMania history, but as one of the greatest matches period is overrated… while ignoring the fact that none of Edge’s matches as Intercontinental champion (despite holding it how many times?) is remembered to any great degree or for any historical meaning. It’ll be no different with his World title reigns, sorry to tell you. What’s he only match that Edge is remembered for as one of the greatest matches in WrestleMania history? Or that’s right… gimmick matches!

And which Hardy are you refering to again? Better yet, let's review both.. since Edge made them both anyways.

Jeff: His World title victory came because Edge allowed it to happen. Triple H. refused to be pinned and give Hardy the title, and having Hardy go over Edge made his victory that much greater.

Hardy is a spot-monkey, and has only had ONE solid match without hitting spot after spot, or involving some type of gimmick. Thus, he can't do anything in a match unless he can use a gimmick. Meanwhile, Edge carried everyone in that 3-way title match, with his charisma and heel heat.

Matt: Edge single handedly saved his career, by fucking his ex girlfriend. Matt should let Edge start fucking anyone he decides to date, simply as a thank you. Check and Mate.

You seem to have some weird concept that the only way you’re “made” is by winning the World championship. There’s lots of legends, and lots of people in the Hall of Fame who were never WWE Champion. Or, better yet, you also seem to have this biased mentality that the only way you’re “made” is by having a feud with Edge. Get over it. The Hardyz were made, as they get huge reactions, have a large fan base, sell crazy merchandise, have places in history… Loong before the most recent year where they were in or around the main event scene.

I think, if anything, Matt and Lita helped save Edge’s career, by giving him the “opportunity” as the opportunist he is, of fucking Lita. Because if that hadn’t happened neither would the Rated R Superstar gimmick have come about, and before that Edge was doing absolutely nothing but lingering in the mid card for HOW long? I’m an Edge fan, but you’re ridiculous.

Okay, you do realize ONE PERSON doesn't equal out the entire ratings of an entire show. People tuned in to see Edge. If they didn't, then why was he (is he still) in the Main Event, and involved in every major storyline since moving to Smackdown?

Name me one other heel on Smackdown that is even lackluster? There you go!

And I'll continue to pick your posts apart, because you're making very wild opinionated comments that don't prove why you feel what you do. All you've said is you feel he's overrated, and you've listed names you believe he's not as good as, yet you've failed to mention why.. other than the classic.. "dispite being heel, he's just not good because he can't win a title cleanly." case.

I think you’re missing the point that you’re being a hypocrit, too, because you have mad love for Edge and make wild claims about his greatness, but don’t give any valid reasons how he’s possibly better then legends and the biggest stars in wrestling history (which you claim he is).

Lets see.. he's constantly remained in the Main Event since his move to Smackdown in 2007.. That's more than Batista, the Undertaker, Kane, Big Show, Punk, Hardy, J.B.L., Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Orton, and the Great Khali.

Since when did Batista, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, JBL, Big Show or Orton ever leave the main event scene?

He's managed to draw fan reaction from everything he does, regardless of what it is. That's more than.. Jericho, Hardy, Punk, Khali, Big Show, Taker, Kane, and J.B.L.

What in the hell are you talking about? Since when does Jericho not get a reaction from ANYTHING he does? Since when does the Undertaker not get a reaction from ANYTHING he does? Since when does Hardy… yes, I could go on. Your arguments don’t even make sense.

And he's won more Championships and more high profile matches than anyone else on the entire roster. (that's an assumption, as I haven't counted everyone's matches.. yet going from the 7 title victories since Dec. 05.)

Your assumption has no value and has so many holes in it.

I don't believe Edge is necessarily overrated, but I do believe he's in his place for a reason and its not because he's some legendary wrestler beyond any other as you seem to be driven to claim without any actual arguments that prove it. And the number of title reigns he has doesn't validate it in any way. He's a great heel, he has lots of talent, but to say he's better then some of the legends you have is just stretching it beyond the ability to suspend disbelief. I think you need to stop being so biased because it decreases any credibility you could ever have in your arguments.

For me, Edge has always been slightly overrated. Before his affair with Lita became public, Edge really struggled with gaining main event status- he was a bland babyface and a decent heel. Of course, once WWE capitalized on this affair, Edge gained genuine heel heat and has become a top heel. However, I think some people are too quick to jump to the assumption that Edge is one of the greatest ever- before 2006 he was just okay for me and it should be remembered that he has accomplished a hell of a lot in just a few years which perhaps make people forget that he wasn't always like that. For me, I will wait a few years and then decide how good he really is but it can't be argued that Edge doesn't have the talent to be at the top. Certainly, I've never thought he was anything special in the ring-don't get me wrong- he isn't bad and his matches are normally exciting but I've just never considered him amazing in the ring. Now as a character, Edge oozes charisma and sometimes that's all that is needed to succeed- he captures fans imaginations' and draws them into his matches but so can others. Yes Edge deserves credit but at the rate he is capturing the World title, I don't think I'll rember him as one of the greatest ever...perhaps if he had a decent run with the belt?

I'll admit, I haven't read through all the posts in this thread or the really long ones, so this might have been said already. But it is possible that being overrated is being confused with being credible.

I do not think he is overrated. I think he is a good solid performer in the ring and on the mic, and he seems to be willing to do whatever is asked or expected of him. However, I will also admit that the role/persona he is in now does not place him as a credible champion. As others have stated, he never wins title matches except by cheating. He uses his storyline relationship with Vickie to give himself unfair advantages. And yeesh, does he ever whine and complain constantly. So yes, given those facts, he's kind of in this role of being "good but not good enough to make it on his own", or in other words, he's good but not credible.

I believe he could be a credible champion, once he breaks out of this persona of being a whining jackass. But it seems to be what creative wants for him for now, so I guess time will tell. But in the end, no...he is not overrated.

TheOneBigWill - I am going to get straight to the meat and potatoes instead of breaking down your post (which was already done). With all of Edge's title runs, which are now more than some of the undeniable all time greats (Austin, Angle, Roddy Piper, Hogan, Bret Hart, HBK, etc.), do you think he is anywhere NEAR them in the ring or as a performer? I raised this question about Edge being overrated, because I have seen so many comments giving Edge credit for being such a great in ring performer, and it has the connotation that he is one of the best to ever do it...and he is not. I can't name an Edge match that will go down in history unless its a gimmick match, and gimmick matches don't always count because its the gimmick that puts the match over, not the performance.

Last night while watching the Smackdown main event, Edge proved my point even more. Edge/Big Show vs. Undertaker/HHH. Of course Edge took the pin because he is the least credible in the ring out of the 4. He also put on the weakest performance in my opinion out of the four. Edge has yet to display solid in ring work that will make me put him on the level with the Legends like some of you have already done, so I feel that you are rating him too high in regards to history! You have your Tier 1 superstars, Hogan, Austin, Flair, HBK, HHH, Rock, Angle, Bret Hart, etc. etc. etc., and Edge is not in the same class as these guys. He is not in the same class as the main eventers of today! His in ring work is not great. He is very good, but he is not great, and he is not a legend. He is not one of the best to ever do it, and he is not raising the bar in any way shape or form. From reading these boards sometimes you would think that he has done all of that though. All he's done is go from mid carder to transitional champion. A good enough opponent to make someone look good, but never a dominant opponent or a credible enough champion that you'd expect him to win. That's because he can't carry the strap like a HHH or a Cena would. He is not on their level. Of ALL the multiple time champions, and of all the champions who've had 5 reigns or more, Edge is hands down the weakest.

TheOneBigWill - I am going to get straight to the meat and potatoes instead of breaking down your post (which was already done). With all of Edge's title runs, which are now more than some of the undeniable all time greats (Austin, Angle, Roddy Piper, Hogan, Bret Hart, HBK, etc.), do you think he is anywhere NEAR them in the ring or as a performer?

First and foremost, I'm going to try and not break down as much of your posts as I have. That's my thing. I'll ease up, and try to be more strict and to the point. Now then..

Do I think he's anywhere near the level of what a Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, or Shawn Michaels are? No. Why? Because he hasn't yet been in the business, nor has he been capable of acheiving everything they have, yet. But that obviously and clearly doesn't mean he never will.. which is what I think you're trying to prematurely stick on him.

You see him as overrated, merely because of how fans picture him as. So you base your attacks on opinions of fans, namely his own. That's no different that saying John Cena sucks more than anyone, namely because the I.W.C. says so.. or Jeff Hardy is the greatest performer of all time, for the same reasons.

You need to base your opinions of Edge being overrated, based on what he's done in the business. Not what people believe he is, through their opinions. Because like it or not.. people have a right to believe whatever they wish. Whether you do, or not.

I raised this question about Edge being overrated, because I have seen so many comments giving Edge credit for being such a great in ring performer, and it has the connotation that he is one of the best to ever do it...and he is not. I can't name an Edge match that will go down in history unless its a gimmick match, and gimmick matches don't always count because its the gimmick that puts the match over, not the performance.

I named several that could go down in history just as easily as you did with some other matches. Once again, you're basing everything off outside fan's opinion's.. so much as actual hard facts.

Edge has had amazing feuds with Shawn Michaels, Edge, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Triple H., The Hardys, The Dudleys, Rob Van Dam, William Regal, and many, many more. All of which were some of the better matches you'll see.

They had all elements of what makes a match great. Good chemistry. Great ability to work with your opponent. Fan interaction. Nice finishes. Everything you'd ever want to build the base of a perfect match.

Edge has wrestled toe-to-toe with the likes of Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and William Regal. All of which are masters of their craft, and most are some of the most highly skilled technical wrestlers there will ever be. Yet you discourage and bash Edge's abilities, for no reason other than disagreeing with how his fan's and the overall I.W.C. view him as.

You apparently haven't given Edge, nor his talent and work ethic the time of day. You merely wanna pick and choose your battles on this, ending up with only going back to the same thing. "Well the fans said this, and they said that.. I don't agree"

So don't agree. Noone told you you had to. But don't tell us that we should agree on him being overrated, merely because you felt he is.

Last night while watching the Smackdown main event, Edge proved my point even more. Edge/Big Show vs. Undertaker/HHH. Of course Edge took the pin because he is the least credible in the ring out of the 4.

Once again, you're openly bashing him, just to do it. He's the World Heavyweight Champion, and the top heel in the match.. yet you claim he was pinned because he is the least credible.

Instead of perhaps thinking maybe he was pinned to help show and prove he can be defeated, least of all by Big Show turning on him, and it builds the Pay per view up even more.. with the open possibility of him possibly losing the strap.

Edge didn't prove you anything, other than he can be exactly what he's suppose to be. A Great Main Eventer, and a solid heel. You just proved to yourself, that you can believe in your own hype over something that's purely opinionated.

He also put on the weakest performance in my opinion out of the four. Edge has yet to display solid in ring work that will make me put him on the level with the Legends like some of you have already done, so I feel that you are rating him too high in regards to history!

You named Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper & Steve Austin.. to name a few. How are they better in-ring performers, through overall wrestling talent.. than Edge? Hogan's entire moveset was "punch, kick, bodyslam, hip toss, hulk up, taunt, big boot, leg drop. Piper barely did anything that stood out, other than cheat (similar to Edge, only without the expanded moveset to go with it)

And Steve Austin is the worst of them all. He was a very talented Wrestler in W.C.W., but turned into a brawler in the W.W.F/E. and more or less boiled down to punches, kicks, mud-hole stomping, and little if anything of something else.

Edge has a widely used moveset, and the clear ability to be a top notch performer through his in-ring skills. Not just his moveset, but his chemistry and interaction with the fans. Edge MAKES you want to see him. He MAKES you boo him, or cheer him. He MAKES you stay on the edge (no pun intended) of your seat during highly contested matches. (see Angle, HBK, Taker feuds)

You have your Tier 1 superstars, Hogan, Austin, Flair, HBK, HHH, Rock, Angle, Bret Hart, etc. etc. etc., and Edge is not in the same class as these guys. He is not in the same class as the main eventers of today!

All of the individuals you've mentioned have been in the industry for decades. Edge is just now reaching his first decade. Allow him time to continue to grow.

And don't even come back with "none of the others needed that long to grow" because each of them infact, did, need that long. Hogan hasn't changed a bit, except for a huge heel turn. Hart never changed at all. Austin refered from a great in-ring wrestler, to an above average brawler. Angle is in a league of his own.

You're basing this more off them being huge names, than you are any type of shear overall talent they've had. Each of them started out the same way.. a guy.. in a ring.. working a match. Same as Edge.

And in the end, Edge will be in the Hall of Fame, because he's going to in time do more than those guys. Why? Because that's what happens. You build someone up, to eclipse someone else. Edge will make his own history, that doesn't have to duplicate that of someone else.

His in ring work is not great. He is very good, but he is not great, and he is not a legend. He is not one of the best to ever do it, and he is not raising the bar in any way shape or form. From reading these boards sometimes you would think that he has done all of that though. All he's done is go from mid carder to transitional champion.

I'd hardly call anyone who's become a 7-time World Heavyweight Champion, transitional. Not to mention, if he was so transitional.. why'd he go over Cena, (twice for the title) Taker, (twice for the title) and Triple H.?

I'd say your views of transitional are pretty warped. Unless you're now claiming Triple H., John Cena and the Undertaker are all even more beneath Edge, as being undeserving and overrated.

A good enough opponent to make someone look good, but never a dominant opponent or a credible enough champion that you'd expect him to win. That's because he can't carry the strap like a HHH or a Cena would. He is not on their level. Of ALL the multiple time champions, and of all the champions who've had 5 reigns or more, Edge is hands down the weakest.

Edge dominated the entire John Cena feud. He single handedly helped John Cena become relevant again. He helped the Undertaker in the same exact way.

And why would a heel carry the Heavyweight Championship for over a year? It makes no sense. Hulk Hogan did it in W.C.W., because he barely defended it and had a massive group surrounding and protecting him from doing so.

Triple H. was the same thing, only with 3 people surrounding him, so much as a huge group.

Cena was a face. And the common bond all of them have.. is the fans, everywhere, absolutely HATED the fact that they had that long of title reigns. People aren't capable anymore of being patient enough with long reigns. They want title changes to happen more often than not these days. It keeps their interest and attention peaked.

You're calling Edge a bad Champion, because he hasn't incited the fans to riot or attempt to, and for not turning on him because he's holding the title for far too long. If anything, you just proved to yourself why he's anything but overrated.

Edge has a chance 2 be the next ric flair in some was because think about it how many title runs did ric have being a heel. i think edge will at least have 12 0r 13 runs and the real reason is they was suppose to push him two maybe three years earlier

Now on to my main point which is Edge is completely overrated and is not that good of an in ring performer in comparison to his main event peers, and of the Legends. Edge's move set consists of punch, kick, rest hold, impaler, spot, spot, spot, and a spear. Edge in the ring is very mediocre, but two main things that keep him around are his awesome promos and his unique look in relation to the "traditional main event wrestling look" (see Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Macho Man, Austin, HHH, etc.). I cannot think of an entertaining Edge match that didn't include some stipulation that made the match No DQ. Edge does not carry matches (see matches with the Undertaker, HHH, and Hardy), and in my opinion does not deserve to be mentioned along with the all time great main eventers, especially those who have multiple title reigns as he does. He is more of a really good upper mid carder on the same level as Ted Dibiase or Curt Henning.

Suneeboy, you're officially my favourite new poster. I felt like making this thread a few months back, but I was afraid of all the bashing I would receive from all these Edge-aholics. Anyway back on topic, I totally agree with your above statement. I couldn't have said it better myself. Edge is a terrific performer on the mic and has a great look of a superstar. But when it comes to in-ring work which is one of the most important attributes of a WWE superstar, Edge is indeed the Overrated Superstar.

Whoever says that Edge carries matches is a complete fool. I'm a firm believer that it takes two (not one) performers to put on a good match. One man can't do it by himself, it's just not possible. However, some gifted superstars can get a good match with a lower quality opponent. See Shawn Michaels and John Cena for examples. Edge's moveset is average. People talk about it like it's the greatest set of moves ever aligned to a specific superstar. But Suneeboy mentioned something that I also frequently note: Edge needs a gimmick to put on a great match. I cannot agree more with this.

Take a look at some of Edge's best singles matches over the past few years:

Edge vs John Cena (Unforgiven 2006) TLC Match
Edge vs Ric Flair (Raw 2006) TLC Match
Edge vs Undertaker (One Night Stand 2008) TLC Match
Edge vs Undertaker (SummerSlam 2008) Hell in a Cell Match
Edge vs Jeff Hardy (Royal Rumble 2009) No DQ Match

All 5 are gimmicks. I might have missed a few more, but that's not the issue here. And yes, I did leave out Edge vs Undertaker (Wrestlemania 24). Because I think it's the most overrated Wrestlemania main event in a long time. Seriously, what was so great about this match? Their gimmick matches were a lot better and entertaining. Coincidence? Edge excells in gimmick matches, that's a fact and I won't deny that. But when it comes to single one on one matches, Edge just doesn't do it for me. The only exception was the Edge vs Matt Hardy match from Smackdown last year, but Matt Hardy is one underrated motherfucker so it explains why people don't talk about it much. I loved that match, and in my opinion, I found it more interesting than the Edge vs Taker (WM 24) match. But look at Edge's opponents for all of his classic matches, Undertaker, John Cena, Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy. All are superb performers. And yes, the Hardy'z are great performers. If they were both heels, you'd probably love them to death.

Edge is not a credible champion in my eyes because he can ONLY win by cheating, and has cheated to win the title every time, so how can it be stated that he is a strong champion, and him carrying the strap is good? Going over Edge isn't something that's difficult to do, and I feel he is the weakest of all the Former World Champions currently still employed by the WWE excluding the ECW Title and CM Punk. Especially as of late. Since he's been involved with Vickie he is more annoying than ever, and it is quite frankly enough because he is overrated and in my opinion has very weak title runs. If Edge isn't overrated, where does he rank with the all time greats? Where does he rank with the HoF'ers? Where does he rank with Current Main Eventers like Cena, HHH, Orton, etc.? I think he is one of the weakest champions of the past decade, and he isn't worthy in my eyes to be called a 7 time champion. I can go on and on, but to not get too lengthy in the first post I'll leave it at this for now. Edge - The Overrated "R" Superstar.

I agree with this to an extent. But you have to admit, Edge needs to have short and unexpected title reigns because he's a heel, and his character works well with them after all, he is the "Ultimate Opportunist". But the thing that pisses me off the most is this: Edge being a 7 time World Champion doesn't make him the greatest performer since Stone Cold or The Rock. People seem to think that Edge is so great and almighty because he has held something absurd of 43 titles in total to my knowledge. 43 titles. Think about that for a second. Then think about Triple H and John Cena. I cannot stand when people say Triple H and Cena are shoved down our throats, but yet adore Edge because he's always on screen and is always the WWE Champion. Their argument for this is usually "because he deserves it". I could say the same for Batista, HBK, HHH, Cena, Undertaker and many more, but I don't.

To them I say this: Open your eyes. Edge is the most overrated superstar in the entire company. Sure, some new poster or someone like TheOneBigWill will try to debate with me about him. But it's a fact. Edge is shoved down our throats considering he's a heel, and quite frankly, he is overrated when it comes to in-ring ability. Some people reckon he's the greatest current performer, but relying on gimmicks for your whole career doesn't make you the best, it just makes you overrated.

I cannot stand when people say Triple H and Cena are shoved down our throats, but yet adore Edge because he's always on screen and is always the WWE Champion. Their argument for this is usually "because he deserves it". I could say the same for Batista, HBK, HHH, Cena, Undertaker and many more, but I don't.

I'm not disagreeing with you as such. But with all the wrestlers you mentioned there, Edge is the only heel. And out of all the wrestlers mentioned in that paragraph, Edge isn't nowhere near as dominant. He loses frequently and when he wrestlers lower lever opposition he often lets them get more offence than he needs to. I tried to find his Kung Fu Naki match as an example, but it's not on You Tube.

But it's a fact. Edge is shoved down our throats considering he's a heel, and quite frankly, he is overrated when it comes to in-ring ability. Some people reckon he's the greatest current performer, but relying on gimmicks for your whole career doesn't make you the best, it just makes you overrated.

I agree that most of his best matches are gimmick ones. But if you use this forum and others as an example, people would rather see a gimmick match over a straight wrestling match any day. Gimmicks are often used for main events, so wouldn't it be best to use Edge as he always delivers? Or maybe his gimmick matches are just too good and they overshadow his singles matches. He never has poor matches, he always has good matches.

He's overrated to a certain extent, he's hardly ever criticised. His regular matches are always good, but they're hardly memorable. But unlike a lot of heels in wrestling today, Edge is hated, so he's doing that part of his job properly.

Edge, I've thought for a long time has talent but wastes it cheating to win every title. How can the Heavyweight champion be credible if he can't win it by cheating. Ever since Edge and Christian broke up, Edge has never been able to "get over" without the help of a woman. Who believe edge is married to vickie is absurd. She shouldn't even be aloud to be on a show with Diva's cuz she isn't remotely attractive. My dog takes cuter shits than her. Does WWE think that giving the belt to Edge makes him a top star, NO it makes him look like a mid carder who gets lucky. Edge will go down in history as the only man to win the title every time by cheating. Yea I'd wanna be remembered that way. I though HHH was gonna be the man that beat Flairs' 16 time champion monoker! HHH deserves the belt as he is the business, yes taker DESERVES one last run before he hangs is up but don't look for that to happen anytime soon.

Pretty much another mindless Edge bashing thread from people that simply don't get the character as being the ultimate opportunist. Edge is never meant to look strong because the character isn't strong. He's a heel. He's a slimy, no good bastard heel that relies on backhanded tactics to win. This is why he's cashed in MITB, this is why he's alligned himself with Vickie Guerrero, this is why it started after he stabbed one of his best friends int he back by stealing his real life girlfriend. The character of Edge is a heel, and they are not meant to look strong, it's the whole point.

The title reign argument is a weak one as well, because the times ahve changed. Sure, Hogan held the title for years, Flair held the title for years, yadda yadda yadda. This is true, but those guys also wrestled in a different time. They wrestled during a time when the fanbase was more patient and didn't have the attention span of a 2 year old. It honestly amazes me at this point with the Internet wrestling fans, on one hand, you have people bitchigna bout John Cena and his Superman title reigns of a year plus, and on the other hand, you have people bitching about Edge being shoved down our throats because he has multiple short title reigns??? What the hell.

As far as Edge has had no good non gimmick matches, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There have been numerous matches already listed on here of great non gimmick Edge matches, yet people keep trying to use the weak ass gimmick match argument against him. The reason people use the gimmick match arguement is because he's so good in them, people forget how good his non gimmick matches are.

I'm not disagreeing with you as such. But with all the wrestlers you mentioned there, Edge is the only heel. And out of all the wrestlers mentioned in that paragraph, Edge isn't nowhere near as dominant. He loses frequently and when he wrestlers lower lever opposition he often lets them get more offence than he needs to. I tried to find his Kung Fu Naki match as an example, but it's not on You Tube.

He may not be as dominant as a heel like Randy Orton, but he's not meant to be. He is the "Ultimate Opportunist", meaning he capatilizes on important situations to come out on top. Even though he isn't dominant as someone like Triple H, he is still constantly on TV and takes up a lot of air time, even when he isn't the WWE Champion. And I thought the Edge vs Funaki match was good because Funaki got in a little bit of offence, which is understandable seeing as Edge isn't a huge guy.

I agree that most of his best matches are gimmick ones. But if you use this forum and others as an example, people would rather see a gimmick match over a straight wrestling match any day. Gimmicks are often used for main events, so wouldn't it be best to use Edge as he always delivers? Or maybe his gimmick matches are just too good and they overshadow his singles matches. He never has poor matches, he always has good matches.

He's overrated to a certain extent, he's hardly ever criticised. His regular matches are always good, but they're hardly memorable. But unlike a lot of heels in wrestling today, Edge is hated, so he's doing that part of his job properly.

Gimmicks aren't used that often for WWE Title main events. But Jake, if Edge is always and constantly in the WWE Championship picture, people will get bored of it. Remember Cena's year long WWE Title reign, it was a superb title reign, yet it was bashed because the modern fans just don't have the patience that they used to have. The same goes for Edge and his constant title reigns. I can't see why the WWE can't use Edge in gimmick matches on pay per view, but does he always need to be around the title? When was the last time Edge had a singles one on one match on a pay per view without the title on the line? SummerSlam 2008? And even on that night, his match was the main event.

And Edge doesn't always have good matches, he always puts on decent matches, but hardly ever one on one single match classics. And he isn't that hated actually. How many Edge fans are usually in the crowd? There's usually a few of them. But I blame the fans for that, not Edge.

He may not be as dominant as a heel like Randy Orton, but he's not meant to be. He is the "Ultimate Opportunist", meaning he capatilizes on important situations to come out on top. Even though he isn't dominant as someone like Triple H, he is still constantly on TV and takes up a lot of air time, even when he isn't the WWE Champion.

Edge is on TV a lot because he's the best heel in wrestling. Along with vickie Guerrero you've got two heels than fans hate. People like Randy Orton are starting to get face pops, and don't appear to be doing much about it. Edge could easly do the same, but when it looks like there's a possibilty he might loose some heel heat he reigns them back in.

And I thought the Edge vs Funaki match was good because Funaki got in a little bit of offence, which is understandable seeing as Edge isn't a huge guy.

Edge is too generous. He should beat Funaki easily. If they want him to have a competative match with somebody lower than him it should be against somebody like Kofi Kingston.

Letting Funaki get too much offence doesn't help him at all, and it makes a jobber look strong. It's not like Funaki is going to get a push so it's counterproductive.

Gimmicks aren't used that often for WWE Title main events.

It depends what you consider a gimmick to be. I think Triple Threat matches are, I see them as a selling point for a match.

Also bare in mind that there are a couple of matches on your typical PPV that are considered main events.

But Jake, if Edge is always and constantly in the WWE Championship picture, people will get bored of it.

They don't appear to be yet, and he's a heel. If they dislike him in main events they'll boo him more, which will make him look like an even stronger heel.

Remember Cena's year long WWE Title reign, it was a superb title reign, yet it was bashed because the modern fans just don't have the patience that they used to have.

It was bashed because of Cena. He did enough with the belt, the reign wasn't boring, so it mush have been peoples dislike for him.

The same goes for Edge and his constant title reigns.

It depends. He wins the belt and people go crazy, he loses them frequently enough for people to not get bored of them. People might get bored of his transitional reigns, but they'll likely embrace a longer one.

I can't see why the WWE can't use Edge in gimmick matches on pay per view, but does he always need to be around the title? When was the last time Edge had a singles one on one match on a pay per view without the title on the line? SummerSlam 2008? And even on that night, his match was the main event.

He's proven. In all his year's in WWE, Big Show has never proven himself to be over or good enough to carry constant main events. Undertaker is injury prone, Orton was a problem child.

When they find somebody who can do what Edge does then he'll move down the card. But there isn't really anyone.

Anyway, he'll eventually feud with Christian, that's hardly going to be a main event program.

And Edge doesn't always have good matches, he always puts on decent matches, but hardly ever one on one single match classics.

His matches are good. He's like Jeff Hardy. His singles matches are good and you'll know you'll get something of quality. But there's always more left for a PPV. Which I think is for the best. If you give your all on Smackdown, then there's no need to buy a PPV.

And he isn't that hated actually. How many Edge fans are usually in the crowd? There's usually a few of them. But I blame the fans for that, not Edge.

He's perfectly hated. You'll have some people who cheer. But the majority boo and jeer him. It's easy for him though when he's got Vickie Guerrero on his side and he's facing Hardy & The Undertaker frequently.

I just find it funny how shelton Benjamin is a loser and a failure because he has held the US title going on 200 days Yet Edge is also a loser and a failure because he held the title 21 days

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS Long reigns or short reigns you know there are two types of IWC The mature ones that Vince listen too ( people like me and several others ) and the one who are a lot like a 16 year old girl and bitch and cry just because thing aren't going their way

I just find it funny how shelton Benjamin is a loser and a failure because he has held the US title going on 200 days Yet Edge is also a loser and a failure because he held the title 21 days

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS Long reigns or short reigns you know there are two types of IWC The mature ones that Vince listen too ( people like me and several others ) and the one who are a lot like a 16 year old girl and bitch and cry just because thing aren't going their way

People are pissed off because Shelton has held the belt for ages without defending it, i think once maybe twice he has defended it since winning it.

Long or short reigns, doesnt matter to me as long as it's exciting. I think Edge's reigns are ok but i would like to either see him keep it for at least 4 months or pas to someone else to hold for a while. Too many changes leaves the belt less valuble.

Shelton will lose the belt on his next defence anyways, i guarantee it.

The problem is that the internet is all high on Orton right now, and they want every heel to be a badass who doesn't cheat to win and just brutalizes people (without being a monster). Edge is the antithesis to Orton, and he might even do a better job than Orton. Edge is absolutley great as the big talker who can back it up, but chooses to take the easy way out. They haven't made him look really weak, because when it comes down to it he can win on his own, but he uses every shortcut, every cheat, every advantage no matter how slight, to get ahead, and it's great. EVerybody hates the guy who isn't as good as them, but gets ahead with cheating, but we hate a guy who is good enough to succeed and cheats anyways even more.

Call Edge what you want, he's the top heel right now. His 8 title reigns in 3 years have clearly granted Edge HOF status.However, I do question the amount of reigns as champ considering its taken YEARS for other superstars to get that many titles! Isnt Undertaker only a 6 time champ or something lol..

I dont think Edge is over-rated though, he is the true ultimate opportunist! For a mid carder in the attitude era, to go as far as he is right now, Edge is on top of the WWE universe. I do admit one thing, the story line with Vickie is what's slowing him down! Get rid of Vickie, and Edge will be golden!

edge is defintely not overrated he is one of the most talented people the wwe has ever had he has more sigs than anydody except taker and the fact that he is a great technical wrestler gets overshadowed because chis rated r superstar gimmik doesnt call for him to showcase it but with that said he always has good matches and hes always contraversial so hes fantastic! i think he deserves more credit

Funnily enough.I was just watching an old Utube clip where lively young WCW jobber Damon Straker (guess who?) is gubbed by Meng & Im wondering ,Who else coulda been world champ given the right push.But thats another thread for another day.
If we,re talking progession.Like young wrestlers starting off in tag progressing up the Title ladder.Hardcore.LHW,Euro.Inter & world (much shorter ladder now) as those above them ,retire or leave then YeS,for being around so long,Edge deserves to be in the world title PicturE.BuT while its just selling the draft & getting a tiny bit WWE history,for him to lose one world title on one brand & end the NighT winning another ON another brand ,makes him seam better than he actually is,AnD makes it seam like there,s nobody on Raw worth it.
The number of times he,s WoN it is just the nature of the modern TV beast.Could you stand Hogan holding the Raw title for 4 years NOW?! Tv shows.House Shows,AnD PPV,,,(Him again?!_AAAAAGGHHHHHH!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back