ECW Region, San Jose Subregion, Second Round: (7) Antonio Inoki vs. (10) Jerry Lawler

Who wins this match?

• Antonio Inoki

• Jerry Lawler

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the ECW Region, San Jose Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Assume one week has passed since the first round match.

1744.jpg

ali_inoki.jpg

#7. Antonio Inoki

Vs.

35.jpg

#10. Jerry Lawler

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

A tough one. These two were huge in specific areas, but neither of those areas is in ECW in San Jose. Both were big crossover stars. Both have influenced the course of wrestling. My gut reaction though is to go for Inoki. There just seems to be something a bit more bigtime about him. Japan is bigger than Memphis. Ali is bigger than Kaufman. And for that reason I think he's my pick.

Of course your gut reaction should be to vote for Inoki, he was massively popular in Japan - second only to Rikidozan - and a popular crossover star as well. The guys defeated just about every modern big name there is, a true who's who among modern legends... El Santo, Ric Flair, Bob Backland, Sting, Roddy Piper, Bret Hart, Vader, Dusty Rhodes, Andre, he even has an impressive win/loss record against Hogan [33/15.] Not to mention his crossover match with Mohammad Ali.

Lawler is a cultural icon where I live, and I've met several old school wrestlers that worked with him in the Memphis territory that spoke the world of him [Tojo Yamamoto anyone? Met him when I was a kid.] But Inoki's star power is just way too extreme... bring Hogan to Japan and Inoki would beat him, bring Inoki to the States and he'd beat Bob Backlund [although his title reign was unofficial], send Inoki to an neutral area where hardly anyone has ever drawn [North Korea] and he beats Ric Flair.

How could Lawler compete with that? Inoki's star power and popularity are just way too much for Tennessee's favorite son.

Lawlers great but Inoki's the man and shouldn't have much issue beating Lawler in this match.

Inoki is the most recognizable Japanese star ever, drew a butt load of money, beat pretty much everyone there is to beat and anyone who can make Andre submit deserves unlimited praise. I gotta go with Inoki here, he did way too much in wrestling to go against him. No matter how you measure it Inoki should win. Anything Lawler did Inoki did better.

In terms of overall star power, I have to give that advantage to Inoki. Inoki's name is revered in Japan on a level, at least, close to guys like Rikidozan and Giant Baba. Lawler was huge in Memphis but Inoki's star power in Japan rivals that of Hulk Hogan in the United States.

As far as in-ring ability, again, I have to go with Inoki. I'm not saying that Lawler can't wrestle but a good many of his matches were punch fests. Inoki can not only brawl but he's far superior to Lawler on the mat.

It'd be another old school bloodbath when it was all said and done. Again though, in my eyes, Lawler simply isn't on the same level when he's out of the Memphis territory. In Memphis, the man was God. Outside of Memphis, he was every bit as mortal as the rest of us.

I'm going with Inoki.

I can safely tell you that Jerry Lawler's never been stretched as much as he would be in this match with Inoki. Lawler's a brawler, who would want to take the fight outside and do his damage that way. That might help for a spell, but the match would be decided in the ring, and Inoki's a master of submission style and mat wrestling, something Lawler doesn't have a clue about.

I dig Lawler, and consider him a personal favorite, but ultimately, Inoki beat much better wrestlers in Japan, in the United States, doesn't matter... Inoki would move on after putting Lawler to sleep.

Lawler rightly went over Bryan last round, so I'm thankful for that. I love Lawler. Back as a young kid I went to a show with my grandad and the main event was Lawler vs. Bill Dundee in a no holds barred match. I don't remember who won, I don't remember who was the face and who was the heel. All I remember was Lawler taking my cup of soda and pouring it on Dundee, and getting my picture with Dundee after the show. That is my greatest wrestling memory, and I want to vote for Lawler based on that alone, but I can't.

Inoki is a legend in his home country, and while this isn't in Japan, it isn't in Memphis either, I can't see a reason for Lawler to go over that star power. Plus Inoki has arguably the greatest, most sculpted chin in wrestling history. It would be a fun match, but Inoki would go over.

Like everyone else has said, Inoki is a legend in Japan. Lawler was a star in Memphis. I have always been a fan of the King, but Inoki has way to much star power here. He will go over in this round easily.

:) I'm glad there isn't a debate here. I campaigned for Lawler in the previous round Vs D-Bry while saying I'd be hard pushed to find a single way he can't beat Inoki. Pleased to see non-offered.

Actually, my respect for Lawler is rising by the day. Every time this tournament swings round I watch a bit of his work, as I'm highly unacknowledged about Memphis as a whole. This time I did more research for him than usual to make sure I should put him over a WWE heavyweight champion and really enjoyed what I saw.

Still, Inoki is the real king and a serious threat through this tournament. I have no idea how he'd fare in extreme rules - I guess this is somewhat of an equaliser for Jerry? Can't imagine it being enough. Inoki advances and him Vs Flair in a gimmick match in North America is gonna be an absolute ton of fun.

Let's make an analogy...

Lawler is to Memphis as Inoki is to Japan.

Now math...
Japan > Memphis = Inoki > Lawler

Case rested.

I'm pretty surprised these two have never wrestled each other. They probably have and I just don't know it. It's probably a closer match than most people think but I have to agree with the majority and vote Inoki. His winning percentage is quite impressive. Inoki was still getting wins over Ric Flair and Sting in his 50s.

As a kid playing with my wrestling action figures I had my own imaginary company with my own roster and storylines. I'm sure most of us did that. Antonio Inoki was on my roster and was near the top. That may not sound like it means anything but for a ten year old American WWF fan to even know the name Antonio Inoki much less put him among the Hogans and Warriors of his play federation says at least a little something about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back