ECW Region, San Jose Subregion, Second Round: (2) Ric Flair vs. (15) Scott Steiner

Who wins this match?

• Ric Flair

• Scott Steiner

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the ECW Region, San Jose Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Assume one week has passed since the first round match.

1744.jpg

flair4.jpg

#2. Ric Flair

Vs.

Scott-Steiner-psd53821.png

#15. Scott Steiner

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Scott Steiner was good and always one of the most entertaining guys on the roster. He was no Ric Flair though. Flair was a guy that just had "it", Scott was talented he just never really had that "it" factor to compete with Ric.

Steiner's a maniac, and his brilliance is despite the fact he was the definition of a midcarder most of his career, most would think of him as a main eventer. Ric Flair's brilliance is being a world champion many, many times. It shouldn't be a contest, though the ECW nature will mean Flair bleeds. A lot.

Since this match takes place under ECW rules, Ric Flair is going to bleed and bleed a lot. Steiner will smack him around, toss him all over the place and generally show off that freakishly 'roid packed physique & strength by physically dominating Flair here and there.

Bleeding, however, is nothing new to Flair. If someone was able to measure the amount of blood Flair has lost in matches all over the world during his career, there'd be enough to swim in it. Flair's been against virtually all the biggest & best, and has beaten most of them. Steiner isn't Race, Rhodes, Sting, Savage and many other legends that were simply far better and Flair took them.

Flair moves on.

They wrestled once. At Clash of Champions. Flair beat him. Mind you, this was before Steiner entered his prime as a single's wrestler... but as it's been mentioned, Flair is in a class of his own and would outlast Steiner, who would be gassed after 15-20 minutes of flexing, pressing, and other miscellaneous tomfoolery.

Flair hits his stride at about the 20 minute mark and after lots of bleeding and agony, would beat Steiner with a Figure Four or simply roll him up for a three count... and the Nature Boy moves on...

Woooo... 16 TIMES... WORLD'S CHAMPION!

They wrestled once. At Clash of Champions. Flair beat him.

Actually they wrestled to a draw at the Clash. Regardless, Flair wins this. I like Steiner a lot but Flair is an elite singles wrestler who was on top for a long time. Steiner had a nice main event run during the last couple years of WCW but that's not enough to take out Flair.

Flair. Can't even compare the two. Steiner is a career mid-carder while Flair is the model for the archetype of every heel after him: HBK, Ziggler, HHH, Rude, The Rock etc. The catchphrases, the flamboyance, the arrogance, the cheating. 80% of heels draw influence from Naitch.

This is an Extreme Rules match right? I'd bet Flair would be sporting a crimson mask before the start of the bell. I was never that big of a fan of Steiner, but the guy is hilarious on the microphone. Steinermaina is basically just 90% of his ridiculous ramblings. IIRC his prime as a wrestler came during WCW's dying days. He had these long title reigns that a heel of his caliber shouldn't have had. The booking at the time also hurt him as he really didn't have many strong face opponents... I think Booker T was the best they had at the time...

He wasn't very popular in the WWE either; I recall him basically being fodder for HHH and falling back into the mid card.

I don't feel that I have to say much on Flair's popularity and influence, but it's a pretty safe bet that just his work in the NWA in the 80's when he was world champion defeating the likes of Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race and Ricky Steamboat should easily be enough to push him forward. Push Flair as a heel or a face in this match, and the result would be the same.

Flair is the obvious choice here. The Nature Boy is always willing to put someone over but Scott Steiner simply does not have the star power to take out Ric Flair this early in the tournament.

Flair beats Steiner to move on. As was customary during his various title reigns, Flair sells Steiners' stuff, bleeds ridiculously, and makes Steiner look awesome. Flair does all this for an extended period of time during the match, long enough for Steiner to wind up "blowing up", as it were, at which point Nature Boy takes him to school. A reverse sunset flip off the ropes ends matters shortly past the 30 minute mark.
Sixteen worlds championships and victories over some of the greatest mat stars of his time give him the win over "Big Poppa Pump". All time greats get wins over not quite so greats.

I wanted to address the match Flair and Steiner had at the Clash that was mentioned here. Personally I think Steiner was better all around in the ring then than he was during what is considered his prime. He was a pretty agile guy before he really blew up. I remember that match very well and my little kid self really wanted Steiner to win. Anyway Flair wins this one. He is just too big of a star. He has beaten them all, and Steiner would be no different.

There will be blood in this one!!

Scotty will start of pounding the crap out of the Naitch, and Flair's face will be wearing the crimson mask after just a couple of minutes!

However, that is what Flair did best, make his opponent look like a star, make it look like he was going to lose, then get the victory. That is exactly what will go down here, Flair is not going to lose to a guy like Steiner, who was never really a long-term main eventer, this early in the tournament.

He's beaten the best, and Steiner ain't the best, so add his name to the list of wrestlers who Flair has pinned.

Winner - Ric WOOOOO Flair

Boring match that should never be taking place. I'm so disappointed that Steiner is even if this round, even if it's academic due to Morales losing to Flair too.

Everything suits Steiner here - hardcore is a good way to maximise his power and buffet Flair around. He'd definitely blade, he'd definitely still win. There isn't a single shot in hell that Steiner goes over Flair in a tournament for best of all time and I flat out refuse to elaborate.

Steiner was a great Tag Team wrestler, who had his most single's success at the very tail end of WCW, and even then he was playing second fiddle to Booker T of all people.

Flair is perhaps the most successful single's wrestler in the history of American wrestling.

It is strange to think these two only have one major singles encounter between them considering alot of their careers paralelled and were spent in the same companies for the most part, but the main reason why is that while Flair was winning or defending world titles, Steiner was taking hot tags from his brother.

Flair in a no-brainer. A second round matchup shouldn't be this easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back