ECW Region, Mexico Subregion, Second Round: (2) Sting vs. (18) Billy Graham

Who Wins This Match?

• Sting

• Billy Graham

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a Second round match in the ECW Region, Mexico City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules. It will be held at the Arena Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico

arena-mexico.jpg

crowsting_55789.jpg

#2. Sting

Vs.

dare2believe_20550_12494.jpg

#18. Billy Graham

This match takes place one week after round 1.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

If ever there was a guy who, had the stars aligned, could have been Hulk Hogan's nemesis, it was the 'Superstar' - Flair level personality with the same look as Hulkamania... it could have been bigger than Andre, Savage or the Warrior.

As far as this match is concerned, Hogan is the guy that brought Graham's gimmick to the next level and there is one guy who consistently foiled the Hulkster. Therefore, I believe Billy would have suffered the same fate at the hands of the Stinger.

Sting would terrorize Graham for months before whooping his ass in the ring. Not to downplay Graham, but, Sting has been beating the biggest names in whatever company he's been apart of since he arrived in the business. Flair, Hogan, Hart, Nash, Savage, Luger and now Graham

I really hate to vote for sting, I never really got into him as a superstar. Buuuuuut his legendary status cannot be questioned, neither can deserving to move forward. He was popular, he was talented and I think he would beat Graham, who although he was a legend in his own rite, falls just short of Sting.

Sting to Advance.

Sting should win this match easy, and the stip just digs Graham's hole even deeper. Other than Hogan and Goldberg, Sting was the biggest star that WCW had.

He was fast, resilient, and ridiculously strong for a man his size. Put a bat in his hands, and he'd be smacking fools up and down the arena. He shouldn't have a problem against Graham; Graham would have the strength advantage, but Sting would have the resilence and the stamina advantages.

I can see Sting getting ahold of his lucky bat and just going to town. Sting wins.

You are giving Sting the perfect chance to use his infamous baseball bat? It is already in Stings favor, Sting has been the biggest guy in every promotion he was a part of. He has the strength, technical ability, the advantage of his bat all come into play as Sting takes this one over Billy Graham.

I cant stand Sting, No way he should of gotten by Ed Lewis. He should be able to handle Graham though ECW rules isnt "SUPERSTARS" forte.

I hate Sting. There's no way he should be ranked second (!!). There's no way he should have beaten Lewis.

But that being said, he takes this over Superstar very easily. I liked Graham's gimmick and his popularity was unquestioned, but Sting did dominate WCW for quite some time.

I would also like to point out how easy Sting's run will be for the first few rounds. First a match with Ed Lewis, who most people voting had never even heard of. Now fighting a washed up has been that wasn't even the best at his own gimmick. Next will be the winner or Piper / Kane, which shouldn't be a problem for Sting. Hell, it might not be until Round 5 when Sting actually faces some legitimate competition (The Rock).

For argument's sake, someone like Misawa had to face Kobashi, Verne Gagne, Andre The Giant, and if he runs that gauntlet, he'll most likely face Bret Hart. Seeding is ridiculously important, and I would hope the "experts" take better care in seeding next year.

Sting by submission, 14 minutes.

Sting would terrorize Graham for months before whooping his ass in the ring. Not to downplay Graham, but, Sting has been beating the biggest names in whatever company he's been apart of since he arrived in the business. Flair, Hogan, Hart, Nash, Savage, Luger and now Graham

You are an idiot.

Graham has beaten THE guy of his time when he was untouchable in Bruno Sammartino. Do you know what it meant to beat a man who was a god to his people at MSG in 77? No you don't so shut up and stop with the verbal donkey-dicking. 'Sting would terrorize Graham for months before whooping his ass in the ring'. Ye sure.

Oh by the way, when Superstar weas champion he beat Gorilla Monsoon, Dusty Rhodes IN A TEXAS DEATH MATCH, High Chief Peter Maivia, Mil Mascaras among others. All huge names in their territories.

Next!

Sting should win this match easy, and the stip just digs Graham's hole even deeper. Other than Hogan and Goldberg, Sting was the biggest star that WCW had.

He was fast, resilient, and ridiculously strong for a man his size. Put a bat in his hands, and he'd be smacking fools up and down the arena. He shouldn't have a problem against Graham; Graham would have the strength advantage, but Sting would have the resilence and the stamina advantages.

I can see Sting getting ahold of his lucky bat and just going to town. Sting wins.

And Billy Graham wasn't? Billy Graham was extremely agile for as buff and big as he was. And he didn't lower a match tempo like Hogan. His intensity and speed are plain to see in any of his 76-78 matches. And in an era when the matches where unbelievably long I think his stamina shouldn't be brought into question. He was in bloody battles in his Florida days as well as his WWWF days. He has had terrific long matches with Dusty Rhodes and Bruno.

I hate Sting. There's no way he should be ranked second (!!). There's no way he should have beaten Lewis.

But that being said, he takes this over Superstar very easily. I liked Graham's gimmick and his popularity was unquestioned, but Sting did dominate WCW for quite some time.

I would also like to point out how easy Sting's run will be for the first few rounds. First a match with Ed Lewis, who most people voting had never even heard of. Now fighting a washed up has been that wasn't even the best at his own gimmick. Next will be the winner or Piper / Kane, which shouldn't be a problem for Sting. Hell, it might not be until Round 5 when Sting actually faces some legitimate competition (The Rock).

For argument's sake, someone like Misawa had to face Kobashi, Verne Gagne, Andre The Giant, and if he runs that gauntlet, he'll most likely face Bret Hart. Seeding is ridiculously important, and I would hope the "experts" take better care in seeding next year.

Sting by submission, 14 minutes.

Explain your words. Because I am frothing at the mouth at that statement. I don't wanna open all heel, fire and brimstone of statistical and newspaper clipping fury, only for you to tell me what you really meant there.

And Fuck Sting's Bat!!

Jun28_1974a.jpg

Superstar won that.

Sting as good and on top as he was doesn't stand a chance with Superstar in a No Holds Barred Match.

Superstar was a man that had two draws with Bruno when the referee deemed both men too bloody to continue. Man's hardcore.

Vote Superstar!

Superstar Billy Graham was exactly that, a superstar. He pick up some pretty huge wins.
Sting is the greatest superstar never to step foot into a WWE ring. Each man has great accomplishments under their belts.

I think I will give this one to Sting. He has the baseball bat. He has used it his entire career. Its under ECW rules. Sting has a slight advantage.

Sting's baseball bat is as eternally tethered to him as is HHH's sledgehammer. It's ruined as many opponents in as many situations including entire ring-fulls of NWO vagabonds amongst others.

Sting epicly and famously putting the grinders on the train of the guy who basically did Billy Graham's job longer and better than Graham did it. By that logic he should be able to rule over the original.

But besides that, I have seen some earlier stuff. Superstar was actually a damn good promo guy, he wasn't just Luger-esque eye-candy, he had the lips to match the body. But the same can still be said of Sting, more than adequately riling up crowds and viewers 20 years into his career. Graham was also a decent wrestler in the ring, but Sting was a prodigy in his earlier years, rising to fame from the small time in an unmatched fashion. This wasn't 2000 where you could take a Kurt Angle and make him one of THE guys within a year, this was the 80 when wrestling was popular and breaking in was being done on a mass scale the old fashioned way. Yet little more than 2 years in, Sting was going the better part of an hour with Ric 'BY GOD' Flair. That's impressive.

If you don't want to go on accomplishments, you should concede that Sting was and is just better in any case.

I normally vote against Sting, who I've never really got on board the bandwagon for, for a variety of reasons. However, here I went with him. It's not that I doubt Graham's ability or his influence, I just think as big muscly world champions go, he was a bit fragile. I'm basing this almost entirely on a match I saw him have with Mil Mascaras once, where Mascaras won by stoppage when Graham started bleeding. For me, that doesn't really represent someone that would be able to take someone like Sting in a violent hardcore match.

Voting for Sting, for a few reasons, but my main one will be "progression". Progression should be a big thing when looking at characters from different eras. What worked in 1912 won't work in 2012, and this is another example of it. Graham's finisher was a the Bearhug? Anyone think that's keeping Sting down.

I respect Graham & his accomplishments, but its easy to vote for Sting here.

I normally vote against Sting, who I've never really got on board the bandwagon for, for a variety of reasons. However, here I went with him. It's not that I doubt Graham's ability or his influence, I just think as big muscly world champions go, he was a bit fragile. I'm basing this almost entirely on a match I saw him have with Mil Mascaras once, where Mascaras won by stoppage when Graham started bleeding. For me, that doesn't really represent someone that would be able to take someone like Sting in a violent hardcore match.

Graham was the original Crimson Mask before Flair. Flait bled a lot in his NWA days and STILL picked up the win. This is just like that. Superstar won despite of all the blood loss. Let me put the facts straight, the Crow gimmick SAVED Sting's character. He was tagging with Luger against Road Warriors in forgettable matches before getting involved with Savage and nWo.

If this was WCW, Sting all the way. But it isn't its ECW. And Superstar has made a living out of competing in brutal matches. Should I name a few?

Indian Strap Match
Texas Death Match
Brass Knucks Match
Steel Cage Match
Rough House Match
No Stopping For Blood Stip Match

I can recall Sting having only 3 Cage matches with Hogan, and a Brawl with Bret Hart for the US Championship WHICH HE LOST.

Sting's chances in a hardcore environment are slim. Superstar is the definition of the 'do anything to win' heel. He will surely, SURELY use Sting's Baseball Bat against him when the ref is distracted or bump.

Bottom line...

In a hardcore environment, Billy Graham will do his ALL to beat Sting, and he will succeed, and for good measure:

Jan7_1972.jpg

Tell me if it gets more hardcore than risking your life getting in a ring with an actual bear. No seriously, you're gonna say 'oh he's trained and shit', you realize what a bear can do to you? Can anyone predict how tame a Grizzly Bear is in a given situation? Good, neither could Superstar Billy Graham.

For the record:

You people are not paying enough attention as to where this competition is going on!

It is a downright travesty that you people are ignoring the absolute lack of hardcore matchups Sting has had compared to a resume of over-the-top weapon matches that Superstar Billy Graham has had.

I have serious problems with people not considering that THIS IS ECW!!!. This is as hardcore as it gets. Will Superstar bleed? Damn right he will! But will he use Sting's bat against him and beat him? DAMN STRAIGHT HE WILL!

You might call me a Superstar fanboy but I'm not. I'm a big fan of Sting and in a normal contest he would go over.

BUT HE HAS NO EXPERIENCE IN A HARDCORE COMPETITION. BILLY GRAHAM HAS UBER EXPERIENCE, KNOWS WHAT TO USE, WHEN TO BUMP THE REFEREE, WHEN TO LOW BLOW STING, WHEN TO USE HIS FEET ON THE ROPE TO WIN THIS MATCH.

For the very last time, and devoid of any sort of perspective voting from you all, I give you his bloody battle with Bruno Sammartino. Which he won ending a four-year title run.

[YOUTUBE]4t5s9U-vKQI[/YOUTUBE]​

I implore all of you to not be a knee-jerk 90s fanboy and listen to what I'm saying. Put Superstar's experience in the given extreme environment and Sting's zero, ZERO experience into context.

Be reasonable, (sigh) Vote Superstar.

This just seems like a match Sting would win. Superstar Billy Graham was a powerful and charismatic heel. He was a tough dude and had a lengthy run at the top by heel standards. It was going to take a special guy to unseat him. Someone who could match him in power and charisma. Sting is that guy. Despite the picture in this thread when I think of Sting I never think of Crow Sting. It’s always the blonde headed surfer Sting with his colorful tights and face paint that I picture. I think that Sting can match anything Superstar can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back