ECW Region, Los Angeles Subregion, First Round: (11) Great Muta vs. (22)Larry Zbyszko

Who Wins This Match?

• Great Muta

• Larry Zbyszko

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Los Angeles Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

staples-center-address.jpg

tumblr_mhr5a5FqNA1rkf4k0o1_400.jpg

#11. Great Muta

Vs.

zbyszko.jpg

#22. Larry Zbyszko

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Well, we've got one of the greatest Japanese mat stars of the past 25 years or so against a wrestler whose greatest claim to fame, after all has been said and done, was his heel turn on the legendary Bruno Sammartino, the man who trained him for a professional career. Zbyszko was a sure hand in the ring for sure, and he made an excellent heel. So good, in fact, that in my opinion, he owes his success to the rub he received by turning on Bruno, and yes, he DID hold the AWA heavyweight championship for a bit. That being said, I never found myself seeing Zbyszko as more than a one trick pony, mosty an upper midcarder, who did receive some shots at main event status, but never really managed to keep himself there. Up against Muta, I feel he puts in a good solid competitive match, but not enough of one to win. Muta goes over here.

Both the Great Muta and Larry Zbyszko were tough and both men had their day but I have to go with Muta here. Larry is largely as known as he is because of the heel turn on Sammartino. It brought him to a point of heat and hate that just about anyone in wrestling today would be jealous of but his opponent didn't need help from anyone else. Muta could put on a show in the ring day in and day out. He was no stranger to using his surroundings either and a match under ECW rules would only benefit him and his style. Not to mention his accomplishments; the man beat the likes of Sting and Hulk Hogan. Zbyszko was good but he was never that good and I doubt he would have gone nearly as far without the help of Sammartino.

Besides his feud with Bruno Sammartino the biggest accomplishment in Larry Zbyszko's career was AWA World Champion. The AWA title was once a very prestigious championship. I will likely use that point a couple times throughout this tournament. However, by the time Zbyszko was champion the AWA was on its last legs. It was pretty much a dead promotion and not nearly as important as it once was. Great Muta on the other hand was always a top guy in whatever promotion he worked for. Multiple championships in All Japan and New Japan along with some success in the states in WCW definitely give Muta the edge here. He is just more successful and accomplished than Zbyszko. Muta to round two.

In the WWE bracket Larry might gain some traction but under hardcore rules it's an easy win for Muta. The man knows hardcore front and back while Zbyszko wrestled in an era where weapons were uncommon.

Muta destroys larry.

Maybe it's because I'm younger and don't remember too much of Larry, but I'm going with Muta here. The only thing I remember of Larry Zbysko is that he was an ok announcer in WCW, and he had a book called "Adventures In LarryLand" or something like that. So Muta goes over this guy relatively easy.

Muta is great. Slightly overrated but great - not doubting the guys ability, he's absolutely phenomenal, but he's never been The Ace in Japan and didn't do a ton in the United States.. look, I love him but he goes deep in this tournament far too often is all I'm saying. Misawa/Kobashi/Tenryu/Tsurata/Baba >>>>> Muta in kayfabe.

Larry Zbysko i really dislike. I've seen a bit and just don't like him. He oversells and is bland in control segments. Other than his great feud with Sammartino to get him over, his career is entirely missable. Watched a couple of his matches with Bockwinkel which are good actually, but I put this down to Bockwinkel being one of the greatest of all time rather than anything else.

This being in ECW makes it a better match - both guys are known to use weaponry and neither are scared to blade (in particular Muta) - I can't see past Keiji here. Also, an ECW crowd would absolutely loathe Larry and adore Muta, so that adds a ton of pressure onto him.

Yh I don't have much to add here. It's all Muta. Zbysko has never faced a guy like him Muta and I don't think he'd keep up at all. Relatively easy win and on for Muta, but hopefully not too much further. I'd be annoyed if he beat Punk and furious if he beats Lesnar/Michaels

A guy wearing six belts faces off against a guy wearing one... The proof is in the pudding, ladies.

Mutas just brings more to the table. Top Japanese wrestler, against a guy most known for one fued. Easy money.

Larry Zbyszko has been in this tournament so many times that I've learned to spell his name without checking. He gets dicked over every year though, so I don't know who's getting him in.

Great Muta's cool youtube videos are reason enough to vote for him, but lets now look at the facts. You have a hugely influential figure, who has also had a successful career against a guy who's exposure to most people isn't fighting Sammartino, it's talking about Sammartino several years after the fact. Muta wins.

Even without bringing his Japanese success into play, the case could be made that Mutoh was booked stronger in the states than the "Living Legend".

Even when Larry acheived his best singles accolade as a World Champ of a twilight AWA, Muta was in NWA defeating Sting for the TV title, an accomplishment I would argue was easily more impressive at the time, as well as taking part with Sting, Flair, and Luger in the Iron Man tourney at Starrcade '90.

Then he went back to Japan to gain eight world titles and eleven world tag tiltes between AJPW and NJPW.

Also the favorable way that Heyman booked Tajiri bodes well for how he would've booked a prime Mutoh.

Great Mutah is the victor here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back