• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drug Dogs

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
A new company has been started up called Sniff Dogs. It was founded by a parent that caught their son with drugs. She told him no more drugs, but then thought this wasn't enough. So she went online to research some other solutions. The main thing that she found regarding finding drugs were dogs that could smell the residue. So this woman and another in a similar situation has started a company where they will be paid to bring in dogs to search the kids' rooms and their clothes to check for cocaine, heroin, marijuana, meth, ecstacy, etc. These searches are done when the kid isn't there.

To me, this is going too far. While obviously the use of these drugs at any age isn't a good idea, someone that is 17 or 18 years old should have something close to privacy. Its one thing to talk to your kids and punish them severely, but I think that bringing dogs into your room to search them is just too much. Opinions on this?

Were I a parent I would do whatever I thought necessary to see if my children were -still (see below)- using drugs. And on the issue of privacy, I'm all for being open with people and would prefer to speak with my children rather than have to resort to sniff dogs.
One could make the assumption that sniff dogs only become necessary when more traditional routes like honest discussion have run their course.

They live under their parents' roof and therefore abide by their rules. Regardless of age. How many parents do you think are scared shitless about the growing trend of party deaths due to drugs and/or alcohol? Barring the moron parents who 'don't give a shit', all of them do. It's pretty serious.

If they don't find drugs in their kid's room, big deal. The kid won't know about it. All their parents did was probably the equivalent to a regular tidy-up of the room anyway. The fact that the kid had no drugs is probably going to get him rewarded or treated better anyhow. So if the kid is clean, he's got nothing to lose.

However, if there are drugs in the room, then this operation proves successful. The fact the kid had drugs in their room overrides any argument that their parents shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

Invasion of privacy, a little bit, but its not like its doing such just to be an annoyance. Its the job of a parent to steer their kids toward the right paths and drugs - no matter how many times people try to justify any of them (including cigarettes and weed) - are clearly not on that path. So like Spiral said above, if the kid has nothing to hide and is proven to be clean, the parents will probably trust the kid more and it'll be better for them, and if the kid DOES have something, then he/she deserves to suffer the punishment. No sensible parent should tell their kid that they should do drugs. It should be one of those automatic rules.

Now chances are, you can know whether or not your kid does drugs depending on who they hang out with and everything, so I doubt this would be a regular thing that every parent would do. But unfortunately, too many people just casually do drugs as if there's ANY positive consequences from it whatsoever. Ridiculous. If this stops kids from doing it, its a welcome invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think its going too far. If the kids have done nothing wrong and don't have anything they shouldn'have, they shouldn't even be worried about this. The dogs wouldn't sniff out anything apart from drugs, so therefore if the kid is innocent he has nothing to worry about. It is a bit of an invasion of privacy, but you can't really complain about it if you have done nothing wrong. I knw if my mum did this I couldn't care less, as I don't have drugs/alcohol on me and haven't ever tried them. So it wouldn't make any difference if they had nothing in their room, but if they did have something in their room they would have been busted and the search would have been successful, as no sensible parent wants to see their kids do drugs.

It's illegal for a cop to search something without you there if that happens all charges get dropped. If parents are going to the extreme lengths by hiring drug sniff dogs they should at least do it in front of them at least that is legal. But honestly if they think their kids have a drug problem talk to your kids about it share your personal experiences and see if they make the right decision thats part of growing up making your own decision.

It's illegal for a cop to search something without you there if that happens all charges get dropped.

Who says that they're getting charged anyway? These aren't police people. This is about parents calling in a company that uses drug-sniffing dogs to search their kid's room. No legalities involved.

I'm not entirely sure of the legal system where you are, but if a parent wishes to search ANYTHING of their child's, they are well within their rights to do so. Which is exactly what they're doing here, as well as giving their permission (which they are entitled to do as it is for a minor) for this company to aid in searching.

If parents are going to the extreme lengths by hiring drug sniff dogs they should at least do it in front of them at least that is legal.

Again, legalities aren't involved. And what is the difference between doing it in front of the kid or not? If he's got drugs, he's going to get caught either way. If he doesn't have drugs, the parents are going to be pleased either way. How do you think a teen would feel knowing that their parents are going to this length and suspect them of using drugs? Teenagers don't understand the concern that their parents have that results in these sorts of measures being taken, and it's best if they don't find out. Parents see this as a necessity (which it is in my view), and really, their child does not need to know about it. Tell me one valid reason why the teenager would accept this and be peaceful about it.

But honestly if they think their kids have a drug problem talk to your kids about it share your personal experiences and see if they make the right decision thats part of growing up making your own decision.

"See" if they make the right decision? Are you absolutely kidding me? The first thing some parents will 'see' with that approach, is their child passed out in a hospital bed. If they think they are using drugs, why would this be a bad option to take? Their kid doesn't know about it, and they can rest assured.

I cannot stress this enough, but...teenagers do not have the mental capacity to do everything 100% correct without parental intervention. Whether teens like it or not, they've done something they will look back on and regret. While this 'something' didn't mean death, it could most certainly have been very serious, or been potentially serious. They cannot be left to make their own decisions. That's the role of the parent.

Communication with a teenager is one of the most difficult thing a parent has to attempt. Some cannot get a word out of their child. And you want them to sit down with a non-communicating child and try to talk to them about the 'right things to do'? Do you realise that not one word will be taken in by the child?

Teenagers do not listen to their parents about everything. If they're at a party, do you think they'll remember their parents' advice before they drink? Parents cannot take any risks with this. It's that simple. 'Good faith' in your son/daughter means nothing if they've taken up drugs without you knowing.

Parents need reassurance. Talking to their child is not enough. That tells them nothing. Drug dogs will tell them everything they need to know, with no harm to anyone.

My mum regularly invaded my room/privacy anyway when I was a teenager just to 'tidy' it. She is the sort of mum who doesn't need a sniffer dog to find something odd. I think it's just part of growing up to have your mum coming into your room, although that may be because I went to boarding school so she did it when I wasn't at home/ just after I left at the end of the holidays and called me up to have a go at me down the phone if it was too messy.

Sniffer dogs sound a tad ott in my opinion, especially if the child were to catch you in the act of searching for drugs etc, but if a parent has reason to be that worried then I suppose I can also see how it would be useful - but only as a last resort, I think.

Gees Klunder, I don't know about you, but maybe she should have gotten off of her ass and done some parenting instead of looking at ways to snoop through her child's life. Second off, marijuana is not a big thing, young people try it. When they hit 18, the majority will never do it again. Maye instead of trying to get your kid caught using drugs, maybe talk to them about drugs.

This aint going to far. Where I live teenagers are smoking Cannabis at the age of 12. Drugs are a big issue with kids and it needs to stop. and a Sniffer dog searching the room would be a perfect idea. I would prefer the risk of my child being shitty with me for a week or so then have he/she OD. it would be much less dangerous. and better for her life.

Its not like your ratting them out. if you find drugs you dont have to call the cops. its no difference to turning the room upside down, looking for it your self. what would you prefer? two minutes or two hours of searching. your going to find it in the end anyway.

It's illegal for a cop to search something without you there if that happens all charges get dropped. If parents are going to the extreme lengths by hiring drug sniff dogs they should at least do it in front of them at least that is legal. But honestly if they think their kids have a drug problem talk to your kids about it share your personal experiences and see if they make the right decision thats part of growing up making your own decision.
LOL

No offense, but your post, particularly the highlighted, is pretty stupid. A child who stores his illegal drugs in his parents house has no legal right to privacy. Why? Because it's not the child's house. The property belongs to the adult. And if the police were to some day break down the door and do a search, and found illegal drugs, then the PARENT would be the legally responsible one for possession of marijuana.

Seriously, how can some of you people be so dense? The house belongs to the parents, they can do whatever the hell they want to do to their own house. If you're a kid, and don't like it, guess what? Move out. Quit leeching off those you feel are treating you so badly, and get your own life. I'm sure you'll quickly come to appreciate the parents you have, who provide you a comfortable life.

Seriously, this stuff is just stupid. Quit being a druggie, and you won't have any problems. There is no legal ramifications to this, and the kids privacy is extended only so far as the parent allows it. People need to pull their head out of their ass in this thread.

Gees Klunder, I don't know about you, but maybe she should have gotten off of her ass and done some parenting instead of looking at ways to snoop through her child's life. Second off, marijuana is not a big thing, young people try it. When they hit 18, the majority will never do it again. Maye instead of trying to get your kid caught using drugs, maybe talk to them about drugs.
Geez, TM, maybe you should wake the hell up. You can be the best parents in the world, and still have children who smoke pot. I know many people who had great parents who had kids who smoked pot. Part of being a good parent is caring about your child's future, and thus, "looking at ways to snoop" is a sign the parent cares about the child, and wants to keep them from doing things they shouldn't do.

Second of all, marijuana IS a big thing. First of all, because it's illegal, and second of all, because weed is a gateway drug. It can impair reasoning and hand/eye coordination, which can affect driving abilities. It can lead the usage of harder drugs.

Finally, I don't know where your "18 and never do it again" nonsense came from. Most people who are smoking weed before 18, continue doing it after 18. And many of the ones who don't anymore, only don't because they've moved on to harder drugs.

Your statement is completely misguided, in just about every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back