• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Driving Stick

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
Seems a lot of people hate driving stick when learning to drive. Yeah, at first it's hard, but getting the hang of it isn't impossible. Some people are exclusive to driving automatics only out of freight or pure laziness. I don't really think that's a good thing to do. Imagine a girl asking you to move her car and you can't because it's standard. That should be pretty embarrassing. It's never easy to learn standard and doing it on hill-filled areas makes it harder. Car turns off, you're scared the car will fall back, you let the clutch go but it won't budge, it's awful really. But after learning, you get to fall back and laugh. Do you like or hate standard? Any experiences with it?

Apart from when you are stuck in traffic on a motorway and having to change gear every couple of minutes, I love driving stick.

I find that being in control of the gears rather than an automatic allows better acceleration and you feel more in control of the car. If I was required to drive long distances on the motorway every day for work I would perhaps consider buying an automatic as it would be easier but I dont see any reason apart from that why I would not buy stick.

It is tough to learn initially as you have to balance the acceleration and the clutch to find the "biting point" etc and to avoid stalling but once you have cracked it, youre laughing. To me, an automatic feels like a go-cart

It's funny you brought this up, I was JUST thinking about this subject last night.

I've never driven stick. I have driven cars that had options to either drive manual or automatic, but the manual had these little paddles to shift gears instead of a stick.

The only experience I've had driving with someone who used stick (in my recent memory anyway) was a bad one. I used to carpool to work with a friend of mine and she drove an old Reliant K, and every time she switched gears the thing lurched like a motherfucker. I'm sure it was just a combination of her driving and the fact that it was an old car, but it still made manual driving seem very undesirable.

I've never driven stick. I have driven cars that had options to either drive manual or automatic, but the manual had these little paddles to shift gears instead of a stick.

I have always wondered what it would be like to drive a car with those "paddles" instead of a gear lever.

I remember first seeing them when I was watching Touring Car Racing years ago and the Vauxhall and Honda drivers had these little things near their steering wheels to change gears with, while the other drivers didn't.

Do they make the driving experience easier? I would have thought that if you were an inexperienced driver you could easily get mixed up and forget which gear you are in, while using a stick the position of the gear lever itself lets you know which gear you are currently using?

I've never learned to drive a stick. It's mainly because I have never had the opportunity. My parents drove automatics my whole life and were when I learned how to drive.

I can't lie though, laziness is what will keep me from learning in the future. I like to smoke when I drive and sometimes I'm on the phone. I'm not the best multi tasker, so it's probably best for everyone if I stick to automatic.

I've never learned to drive a stick. It's mainly because I have never had the opportunity. My parents drove automatics my whole life and were when I learned how to drive.

I can't lie though, laziness is what will keep me from learning the future. I like to smoke when I drive and sometimes I'm on the phone. I'm not the best multi tasker, so it's probably best for everyone if I stick to automatic.

Probably best for everyone if you're not on the phone while driving.

I tried what I guess American's call "stick", here it's "manual" a few times and I was shit.

So stuff it, I'm going to stick to driving automatic. Easier to drive, easier to get my licence in and just a general less of a pain in the arse. I won't be stalling at traffic lights, at drive through's etc. It just seems like a logical choice to take the easy way of driving out.

If my girlfriend ever gets a manual car that she drives, well she can move it herself. That may make me look like a ******** boyfriend but I wouldn't expect her to move my car.

I drive an automatic. I struggled with a clutch because of my bad feet. It's quite uncommon over here but realistically it was the only way I was going to be able to drive. I still struggle to drive - it's damn painful at times - but it's awesome.

We have a Smart car and it's the coolest little car.

I've always driven an automatic. From my first car, to my new one that I got coming out of high school. Honestly, I just prefer it... BUT, I do know how to drive stick. A friend of mine in high school had a stick shift car, and I drove it a few times. Literally, the first time I drove in it, I got it. It's not as hard as people make it out to be, it's fairly simple to be honest, but at the end of the day... I love driving an automatic.

I haven't driven manual in so long that I probably have to relearn everything I was taught... well, maybe not. But basically, manual/stick is amazing to drive. It gives you a better feel of control than the automatics do, or for me anyway. And in today's world, stick will reign over automatic for two other factors.

1. Gas is cheaper. Maybe not by much, but if I can save a dollar by just having to learn how to pop a clutch, then shit yeah!

2. The V6 Manuals sound WAY better than a V6 Automatic. The way the manual car just lets the road know it's there is one sound that I love hearing every single time.

Honestly, from what I can remember, driving stick isn't all that hard to do once you've managed to get the clutch down and knowing when to switch gears. Plus, with my hands, it's probably best to drive stick because i get to move them a lot.

Driving was a lot more fun when I had the stick shift car.

It's true; stick is more fun and you feel as if you have greater control over the car. The only time it was a pain was in stop-and-go traffic.

I just traded mine in for an automatic last week. The only problem is that my left foot keeps reaching for a clutch that isn't there.:blush:

The second car I bought was a stick, and when I bought it is the day I learned to drive one. The guy I bought it from went around the block a couple of times with me so I could get the hang of it and that was it. It was pretty easy, the only thing that made me nervous was going onto overpasses when the light was red, but I got the hang of it pretty fast. They are fun to drive but I prefer automatics now.

I tried to learn driving stick. I really did, but I just couldn't handle it, because it is a pain in the ass. Driving stick takes a lot of patience, and most of the time, I am not a patient person. I can be very antsy, and I usually rush everything. I tried to get the hang of it, but after weeks of practice, I told my father I didn't want to try anymore. My father wanted to try a test run in traffic, but I wasn't going for it. The thought of making a mistake in live traffic drove me nuts.

Friends and family keep urging me to give driving a stick another try. They always say "a real man knows how to drive stick" but I couldn't care less. I'm happy with driving automatic, and I don't think I'll ever want to try again.

My current car's a stick, but I prefer automatic. The biggest mistake people make when learning to drive stick is that they raise from their hip rather than from their ankle. As soon as I understood this, I had no problem learning stick.

I never had to learn how to drive stick. I rarely drive as it is, and will only drive automatic in the times I find myself having to drive. The wifey does most of the driving anyhow. She enjoys driving, while I both dislike it and am not that great behind the wheel. The argument that it would be embarassing to not know how in such a situation doesn't work with me. Even back when I was single I would have just been honest and told her I don't know how to drive a stick. It's better than being dumb and trying to do it when you don't know how just to try to impress. It's better to be honest, and I have absolutely no clue how to drive stick. I have no intention of learning either. It might seem lazy to some that I will not learn how to drive a stick, but I'm an awful driver and not ashamed to admit it. Why bother with a stick when I'm bad even with automatic? People talk about how much faster you can go with a stick compared to automatic, but that would not convince me either. I go the speed limit everywhere. Yes, believe it or not there actually are people who don't speed.

Uh, fuck no. I have enough going on while I drive, between going 110, my arm cooking in the sun while hanging out the window, weaving through people who drive like absolute fucking losers, and getting dirty picture text messages from 3 to 4 different girls. I dont have time to be thinking about shifting and all that shit. That and its unecessary. Hey, let me do something that they make cars that do it for you, that sounds smart.

the only reason I can think of to do it is just to say you can. Fortunately for me, being able to say that doesnt really make me feel any differently about myself.

Reactions: gd
Theres a rumor in Australai that if you go for your license in an automatic then you cant legally drive manual (stick), never heard of it but anyway. I am going for my P's in just under three months now and will be doing so in an automatic, I have only ever driven stick a hand full of times in between stalling it.

(P's are a licensing scheme here in Australia where at the age of 16 you are legal to go for your license, at first you get you L's (Learners) where you have to drive supervised for a year (minnimum), then you can go for you provisionals at age 17 or after the year on Ls, I am going for the vehicle on road test in November. I will be driving an automatic to go for my license in and buying my first car auto aswell.

I only use manual when I race. It's not really that bad. It's all up to the driver's preference. If you like manual, then you like manual. If you like automatic, you like automatic however it would be useful to learn manual since some cars don't have it.

I was reluctant to drive a manual at first, but once I got the hang of it I came to prefer it. Like as been mentioned. it makes acceleration faster and feels like you have more control. I've driven manual for years now and when I drive automatic it just feels off and my left foot is constantly wanting to press a pedal.

I've never been that great at driving stick, but if I need to move a car or get down the road I'm sure I would be able to. The best experience I ever had driving a manual transmission was this old raggedy ass Chevy pick-up. Massive truck, like a 1 ton work truck with dents all in it and stuff. My dad MADE me drive it home because I didn't really know how to drive a stick. He told me when to shift and like little tips and stuff. Haha. I'm sure if I found a old beater and practiced driving stick in it i'd be a pro but i'm so used to automatics that I fear it would take me alot longer to learn.

Over here very few cars have automatic gears, modern Audi's and Mercedes are two cars I've drove using automatic and I found it much more easier to drive.

Then when it comes to manual or "stick", I can do it but I honestly do fucking hate it. Especially when you're driving with someone who constantly wants you to keep both hands on the wheel, like say a driving instructor, yet you drive better with one hand on the wheel and the other shifting gears and he constantly docks you points during your driving test and in the end you fail even though you did almost everything perfect, even parralel parking.

Yeah, fuck manual gears. If I want to keep one hand on the wheel and the other on the stick, I fucking will, fuck the driving instructor I have. Fucking twat.

My first car was a stick shifter...loved the feel of it. It's simply more fun than driving an automatic. Unless of course you get stuck in rush hour when trying to drive through Chicago, then it REALLY SUCKS. There is something about having to manually shift the car that makes it seem, I dunno, a more real experience? There just aren't many sticks left out on the roads anymore, and it's a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back