Does the WWE Need A Mid-Card Title?

WWEvsJosh

Pre-Show Stalwart
I just want to start off by saying I like having a mid card title but I just had an idea about the titles. What if there were no more mid card titles and the only titles for a superstar to go for were the world or tag? Do you think this would not only be a good idea?

Like I said before I like the ic and us titles but I think this could be a good idea. I think it would help the world titles mean more and it would keep superstars from holding on the titles for a long time with not much to do like cody.

What do you guys think?

Midcard titles are important in the WWE. They are great stepping stones in helping a mid card star get over more on their quest to becoming a main eventer. If you really want to get rid of titles to make them worth more, then the best course of action would be to combine IC Title with the US Title and combine the WWE and World Titles together. That way there is only one world title and only one midcard title. I personally think the midcard titles should stay the way they are with each show having one, but I think the WWE title and WHC should combine because having two world titles is stupid. How can there be two world champions at the same time?

There's no way the WWE would be doing this anytime in the near future. They hype up all the hall of famers that have held the IC and US title all the time. I just can't see the company getting rid of two titles that have been held by big names in the past, and are important for the big names of tomorrow to capture on their way up to the top.

The mid-card titles are certainly needed. It is completely unrealistic that everyone would be able to compete for the WHC or WWE title. There needs to be a transition from the bottom rungs within the company and the mid-card titles have always done that.

its an interesting idea but like the other people said I dont think wwe would ever do that if anything maybe combine the titles, but even that I dont see happening, although imo it seems like the world title has become the "stepping stone" title to the WWE title which it seems is the one they have more interest in. What happened to the world title too I remember it was like their main focus back when HHH was in evolution (yeah I know that was a while ago now) but I mean that was the title match that was main eventing PPVs I know last year it was the starter match for Wrestlemania.

Yes, the WWE definitely needs midcard titles. In fact, the WWE is set up pretty well with the championships that it has right now. Taking away the midcard belts would not be a good move by the WWE, and I don't really see your argument against having them. You really are just basing your entire argument on Cody's current run, which I agree isn't spectacular, but you can't just throw out the history of the midcard belts in the WWE and the fact that they have helped elevate some of the greats (HBK, HHH, Rock, Austin, Cena, and so many more) to the main event scene, and they will continue to.

They're valuable to the WWE and they have an important history, even if it at certain times, such as arguably now, they don't appear to be. But, in reality, they are very important. In fact, when the WWE briefly retired the IC belt a few years back, I believed they were making a big mistake, and the WWE obviously believed they did as well, as they swiftly brought it back not long after. The midcard belts are important- the WWE should keep them around and, if anything, put a little MORE emphasis on them with more attention/storylines.

I almost wouldn't mind seeing lower midcard titles return, like the European title, stuff like that... it would water down the importance of the IC and US, I think, but it would also give guys like McIntyre, Mason Ryan, Santino, etc. something to do/go for while the IC and US remain for the guys who are going to get serious pushes like Cody, Ziggler, etc.

I see what you guys mean. The titles mean a lot to the Wwe but this is more of a what if type thing. The titles help mid carders but I think there were other times it just seemed like champions were just holding on to the titles. The miz's us title, Ziggler's us title, Wade's ic title and a few others. I think we want to push mid carders to the mainevent so much that there really is not much for mid card champions to do. That's why I came up with the idea but I understand what you guys are saying.

Why does everyone hate the Mid-card titles?? First it was everyone wanted to unify them and now do away with them all together?!?!?!

With a huge plethera of Lower and Upper mid-card talent(some still undeveloped and pushed to fast) why would it make sense to do away with the mid-card titles?? The whole point of winning them is to pay dues and move onto the world title, not just win a world championship first(even though it seems they're all doing faster these days anyways). And with the tag division in shambles, this wouldn't make sense unless EVERYONE formed a tag team.

Personally I've thought for several years it would make more sense to unify the World titles again and just have one Undisputed WWE Champion and bring back either a light heavyweight title and/or the hardcore championship. If anything maybe unify the US and IC and bring BOTH the light heavyweight and hardcore titles, so them theres is one undisputed mid-card champion, one undisputed champ of hardcore, one divas champ, one set of tag champs, and one undisputed titled for the whole WWE and a lighter weight class, that way each title represents only ONE champion in each category!

You need midcard titles to provide depth, think of them as younger siblings to the world titles, they'll never be as strong or as smart as the older sibling, but without them too much attention is put on the older sibling and they turn out like an asshole, shunning out everyone who isn't "good enough" for them..

They're like the "good work!" stickers that bridge the gap between the kids who are happy with a C in maths, and the kids that cry whenever they get lower than an A

also; "The weak are there to justify the strong"

WWE needs to use what worked for them and what didn't, and what did work for them was the variation in championships in the late 90s-early 00s, the fact they had a belt for lower card, mid card and main event worked wonders, the Hardcore belt always felt like the novelty belt that anyone could go for or more so the guys who weren't the most over guys but had something to offer so they had one belt to chase, European belt always felt like the first belt on the ladder to success then on to the Intercontinental Championship followed by the WWE Championship.

WWE at the moment just has to many "Equal" championships, like I love the Intercontinental championship but the US championship feels like the more over at the moment, Dolph and Zack did some great things and made the belt feel like it meant something. WWE needs to get back the belts having a ranking and meaning so not only do the fans know what level the guys are at but more so for the wrestlers to know where WWE view them so they know they need to change shit up.

I perfered the Attitude Era's championships they always felt like a ranking system and anyone could contend for most belts.

We already have the IC title and US title..

Hmm, looks like some people just read the title of the thread and not the actual post because I thought the same when reading the title, but when I read the post, he's talking about getting rid of the midcard titles and only having guys go after the World and Tag Titles.

Anyway, I think it's a terrible idea. Some guys don't get title shots as it is, if you get rid of the midcard belts, then they have even less of a chance to get a title shot. Some times the midcard battles can be more entertaining than the main event battles. If it's any title that needs to go away, it's one of the Heavy Weight belts. I seriously hate having two Heavy Weight champs running around. I'm just waiting for the time they combine the two.

I think we need the mid-card titles. As was said, they need to be more important and relevant. Wrestlers have to WANT to be Champion. I think one of the reasons Codys' run is less than stellar is because no one else wants the belt. At least no one has expressed interest. In the old days, it was a wrestlers dream to reach those pinnacles of success. You had to capture a mid card title before you were ready for a heavyweight run. It just seems they would seem more important if more people wanted them.

I know a lot of people would hate this idea, but what if they united the US with Intercontinental title, and the WWE with World Heavyweight title? You could have more main eventers focusing in on one title, makIng more feuds, same with the other title, which could bring some prestige back, which is much needed.. this could also bring back some tag teams for superstars with nothing to do, which could revitalize the tag division..
I think it could work if done right...
Or I could be massively incorrect and it could be a complete disaster..

It would be so stupid for superstars to team up before they go for a world title. So no, WWE should keep the mid card titles. The IC title is like a stepping stone for wrestlers getting elevated into the main event which is a good thing. Not only does it do wonders for up and comers but it can also hold main event stars down from crowding the main event scene. Cody Rhodes will most definately get a world title run in the future because of how he has handled himself with the IC title. The U.S title is also a another good title. It provides the same values that the IC title has. The mid card titles are essiential to the WWE so keeping them is a must.

Imagine how crazy the tag team and main event scene would be if the IC and US title were dismissed. It would be over the top.

Every wrestling organization in the history of professional wrestling has had a mid card title. It would be utterly stupid and a bad move to take away those belts. Going from tag to world makes no sense... What happens to the other teammate, does he just stay in limbo waiting for another tag partner? Illogical and dumb thread.

We already have the IC title and US title..

Someone obviously didn't read the thread.

Well, I wouldn't say the WWE needs the titles, but I see no reason to get rid of them. While they're hardly as prestigious as they used to be, holding the US/IC title does set certain stars apart from the rest, and it gives them something to do. Plus, it’s another title that piques people’s interest occasionally (people were certainly interested in it during Ryder’s rise), and thus, it serves a purpose. I think they’re defended at pretty much every house show too.

The WWE tried to wipe out the mid card titles in 2002, scratching the IC, European and Hardcore titles. Ratings pluimmeted and guys who were not in the main event picture got lost in the shuffle. Mid card titles used correctly can really elevate talent, and make otherwise meaningless feuds worth watching.
Cody Rhodes current storyline is a perfect example. He turned the actual belt into an angle, and a great one at that. The classic IC Title is far and away the best title belt in WWE history, pity the WWE title still looks like shit.
I personally think they should scrap the US Title or re-name it the WWE TV Championship, a title that is defended EVERY WEEK ON TELEVISION, and at each PPV.
You would have your actual wrestlers vying for the belt, and this would make this title as important if not moreso than the WWE Title. In ECW RVS held the ECW TV title for just under two years, and it was looked at more prestigously than the ECW Heavyweight Title. A WWE TV Title with guys like Bryan, Punk, Kidd, Regal, Ziggler,Swagger, Rhodes and all your actual technical guys could feud over it. No weight limits, just solid wrestling, which is what the fans want to see

I know a lot of people would hate this idea, but what if they united the US with Intercontinental title, and the WWE with World Heavyweight title? You could have more main eventers focusing in on one title, makIng more feuds, same with the other title, which could bring some prestige back, which is much needed.. .

I've long been a proponent of this. I think a lot of the problems in the WWE right now can be attributed to there being too many titles. Ten years ago, when the WWE seemingly had enough talent to warrant two independent shows - and two independent titles per show - it made sense. For the past few years, the WWE hasn't had near the depth to warrant two shows NOR the depth to maintain four individual championship belts.

With one WWE/World Title, the WWE could have a quality main event scene of: Cena, Punk, Orton, Henry, Shaemus, Jericho, Barrett, Big Show and Kane.

With one midcard title, the WWE could have a quality midcard scene of: Bryan, Rhodes, Swagger, Miz, R-Truth, Ryder, Kingston, Del Rio, and Ziggler.

In my opinion, the reason someone would even contemplate posting this thread is because the midcard is currently awful. There's no depth to it. And few programs are built around the midcard.

So to answer the ultimate question: The WWE doesn't need to get rid of the midcard scene. They just need to consolidate their belts and give their midcard scene a better build.

Well they tried that once when Bischoff was first introduced as the Raw GM. They kept feuding mid card title holders in unification matches. I actually remember one match being Jeff Hardy vs. RVD european title vs. IC title I think. Eventually all that was left was the World title.

Before too long though they started bringing back the midcard titles because there were a bunch of people with literally nothing to do or fight for. Some people will never probably be a world champ (Kofi Kingston?) but are still crowd favorites and need something to strive for.

No. WWE has too many titles already. They should merge the WWE and WHC titles (there should only be ONE world champion) and have the champ do both shows. The US title can more or less be the Raw champ and the IC title can be the Smackdown champ. Back in the day, the Intercontinental title was created to have a secondary title for guys to fight for on shows where the WWF Champion wasn't there (WWF often had 2-3 shows a night around the country).

If they're not going to use them or give them any importance, they should do away with the Tag Team title and the Divas title. There are only a handful of teams in WWE right now. They need 3-4 decent teams on each show. As for the Divas, WWE has women who know how to wrestle, but they don't give them any importance and too often, they focus on the ones whose only attribute is their looks.

I know there are a lot of people who want them to bring back the Hardcore title, but that's not going to happen. WWE was right to phase out Hardcore matches. They were fun to watch, but too many people were getting seriously hurt and I'm sure there were a lot of impressionable kids who would emulate them in their backyards.

wwe needs mid card titles to give everybody who will never be a world champ, people like justin gabriel are never goin to be world champ and u cant jsut make everybody who is never gonna be a world champ in tag teams people like hunico, trent barretta and jinder mahal are never gonna be world champions to be totally honest of course they arent doin right by those titles by defending them every 3 or 4 monthes cody rhodes hasnt defended the ic title in a long time they really do need to defend thos titles more and make them seem more relevant but cant drop theme compltely

I personally think they should scrap the US Title or re-name it the WWE TV Championship, a title that is defended EVERY WEEK ON TELEVISION, and at each PPV.

I would much prefer a TV title over the US title, I hate the fact WWE has equal titles.

It should be as follows:

WWE Title (unified with the World Heavyweight Title)
IC Title (unified with the US Title)
TV Title
MAYBE a Crusierweight Title, dunno.

But TNA has TV Title, so not sure if that would ever happen though.

Mid-card titles are definately needed though, just see what happened when the IC was unififed with the World Title, stupid ass move.

They have way too many title belts right now anyways. They need to have only one WHC and their top guy needs to be wearing it or challenging for it.

As far as midcard titles go, the US and IC belts are the same pretty much. Being the IC champ means dick all when there is a US champ on raw that is the same level as he is.

They should only very rarely have WWE/WHC championship bouts on free TV, keeping those to the PPV. They should have one IC/US champ who defends every couple weeks on free TV, and then they needs a TV champ who defends on a near weekly basis. Then the belts would have value and aid pushing the champs to the next level.

I remember back in the day when the mid card titles meant so much more. Cody is trying to bring prestige back to the IC title, but having to lose to Orton as the opener on Smackdown makes him look like a midcarder! Look at the history of the IC title, Michaels vs. Ramon in a ladder match at Wrestlmania 10. Considered one of the greatest matches of all time. Rock feuding with Austin for months over the IC title. They made you want to see them defended. Bring prestige back by having the champs actually defending the belts! Then it will mean something when they go after the HW titles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back