Do you still consider Rhyno the last ever ECW champion?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
Current TNA wrestler and ECW original Rhyno is credited of being the last ever ECW champion when the "original" ECW folded back in 1999. But since the ECW brand was brought back by Vince McMahon (WWE) in 2005 with ECW One Night Stand 1 & One Night Stand 2 in 2006, along with the ECW brand on Tuesday nights on SyFy.

Now that the WWE's verison ECW is finish we saw Ezekiel Jackson win the ECW championship for the last time for anyone as big Zeke is now credited as being the last ever ECW champion. So in the original ECW the first & last champions were Shane Douglas and Rhyno, and in the new ECW the first and last there was Rob Van Dam and finally Ezekiel Jackson.

We all know that the WWE's verison of ECW was a watered-down product. And it was a successful failure to launch. And we also know that the ECW we know died back in '99. So after what's been going on for sooooo long in the original ECW afterlife. Do you still consider Rhyno to be the last ever Extreme Championship Wrestling heavyweight champ?

Because that seems like that's what Rhyno will be remember for the most in his remainder of his career. But I think that was still wrong of the WWE not to put Rhyno in a match at the first ECW One Night Stand in '05. Now that was a shame!

Yeah, no champion after the original ECW folded should be considered a real ECW Champion, because that wasn't ECW they were working for... it was a WWE Brand. They were champion of WWE's C Show... not ECW, no matter what label they put to it. WWE can try and rewrite history all they want about that... but real fans will know how ******ed it is to consider someone like Bobby Lashley or Vince McMahon as a former ECW champion.

Also, let me state for the record... I don't like that Rhino was the last ECW Champion. I thought he won it in bullshit fashion and that it's a real shame ECW ended with him on top, in the manner he won the belt in. Most of ECW's last champions were shit to be honest with you. Once Taz left for the WWF, they just weren't able to fill that void.

I'm with JMT here. The new belt was the same in name only. While the title was dead when Rhyno got it in the first place, he was indeed the final holder of the original ECW Title. Vince brought the title and the promotion back to try to cash in on something that didn't make a lot of cash in the first place but apparently there was a market for it to a degree. RVD was the only ECW Original to win the title for a long time and after that it just died. There was nothing of note related to the original ECW and indeed the final champion is Rhyno, despite what Vince wants you to believe.

first of all ecw died in 2001. And even though the new ecw wasn't exactly the original, it was still great. Most people like to focuse on it not being ecw and less on how good it was. When the new ecw ended, it was better than sd and raw. Well getting back to the question, the wwecw was still ecw so ezekial jackson is the last. It doesn't matter if you don't like it, Heyman doesn't like it, or rhyno himself doesn't like it. Its just fact. The wwe owns ecw and the ecw title. So they could put it on zeke christian or whoever.

first of all ecw died in 2001. And even though the new ecw wasn't exactly the original, it was still great. Most people like to focuse on it not being ecw and less on how good it was. When the new ecw ended, it was better than sd and raw. Well getting back to the question, the wwecw was still ecw so ezekial jackson is the last. It doesn't matter if you don't like it, Heyman doesn't like it, or rhyno himself doesn't like it. Its just fact. The wwe owns ecw and the ecw title. So they could put it on zeke christian or whoever.

I agree. No one may like it but ecw is ecw. No matter what year. No matter how bad. Vince russo was wcw champ in a falling wcw doesn't mean we don't count him as champ. We didn't like it, but it happened. Why people don't count zeke as the last is because they think the end of ecw's days were crap so they say that doesn't count. If sabu or sandman was champ last at this time no one would have a dispute about it.

Basically what I'm saying is why is zeke not considered the last champion, just because people don't like it? The sig had no effect on my opinion.

I actually really enjoyed WWECW for the last year or so before it was scrapped. You had the introduction of Sheamus, Yoshi Tatsu, Evan Bourne, and Swagger and the debut of Christian. Also it seemed to be the only title where you could get over more for your ability than anything else, just look at Shelton. And while it wasn't the orignal ECW it wasn't Raw or SmackDown! either. It did it's own thing, in it's own way, and I really enjoyed it and was disappointed to see it go.

As a few people have said before, whether you like it or not the last ECW Champion was Ezekial Jackson. You may not like it and you may disagree with it but he was the last man to hold the title. And it may have been WWE's ECW but it was still ECW in some form. I would have preferred Christian to be the final ECW Champion because he gave that show and title some credibility (at least to most fans). But I understand WWE's logic by putting the title on Ezekial, so he can have something to build from on RAW or SD!.

Yeh why not...

Rhyno will always be the last Extreme Championship Wrestling Heavyweight Champion...

The original ECW which folded in 2001 and not 1999...is Extreme Championship Wrestling...whereas WWECW was just ECW...by 2008 they never mentioned it by its full name but just as ECW....

I dnt even consider Big Zeke as the last WWECW champion..in my mind it goes to Christian!! he gave the title a deserved last reign!! IMO...

Yes I consider Rhino- note the ECW spelling- the last ever real ECW Champion, he was the champion when the company folded.

As much as I am a Christian fan, and I think of him holding a belt with that name not a TRUE ECW champion..if that makes any sense

Rhino was the last ECW HC. However, I could almost see someone making a case for RVD. One thing people always notice about RVD is that he never won the title in the real ECW. It does seem to be forgotten that when WWE launched their "ecw" it was not immediately as terrible as it became later. In fact, initially it was somewhat true to the original. Incidents only a few weeks in pretty much derailed that quickly but with RVD at the top there was still some hope that the spirit was still there. Then RVD and Sabu had their incident and RVD had to drop the title as WWECW grasped the last breath of air from ECW. The rest is history. Unfortunate history for fans of ECW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back