Do you miss old games?

The Raven's Epitaph

Getting Noticed By Management
After doing some thinking last night, I just had to do this thread. It called out to me.

So, do you miss old games?

It seems that the games of today are all focused around the same sort of genre. Violence, killing, drugs etc. I suppose you could say that it's based around real life, what some game developers might imagine the future to be like, or maybe even re-writing the face of history.

Now, I'm a pretty solid gamer myself. I enjoy palying my games as much as the next gamer, but sometimes I get the feeling that I already know what the next new released game is going to be like, even if it's a completely new series.

New released games such as CoD: Black Ops, Fallout: New Vegas, Medal of Honor, Halo: Reach and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, all fall under that category I mentioned earlier. The past, the present and the future of warfare. Assassin's Creed features the 1100's - 1500's in war, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor focuses around the war of today, and games such as Fallout and Halo are focused around the time-span's of 2100 and beyond; going wayyy into the future. (Thankfully, I'm not going to be around to witness the birth of a Super Mutant wielding a nail board...)

If you haven't already spotted what all of these games have in common, then it's the constant war.

What happened to the games where you were a tiny little Bandicoot wreaking havoc on all the baddies, or walking around as a little friendly Croc, freeing tiny orange fuzzballs called Gobbos? I miss the games where you were the Hero of the game. You stayed as the same character, travelled through expertly designed platform levels lasting about 5 minutes each, depending on your skill until you got riiight to the end of the game and had to fight off the main baddie.

Games such as Croc, Crash Bandicoot, Bomb Jack, Hercules, Sonic the Hedgehog, hell, you can even throw the Pokémon franchise in there if you like; are all games that I truly miss. Now, I know you might aswell take time and effort into creating a non-spam post just to tell me that I should just go and play them again, but that's not the point.

All the games of today are focused around the same genre, and I personally think that, despite the games being great, they are starting to become abit dull in terms of in-game focus and story.

What are your thoughts?

Do you think the games of today are becoming dull in terms of genre and story?

Do you miss the old games like Crash Bandicoot, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokémon?

Let me know.

Hell yeah, Croc Legend Of The Gobbos haha. That was a really good game.

Yeah, it does seem now that "character" based platform games have vanished pretty much. Games like Crash, Rayman, Croc etc were child-friendly and just fun. Each level was slightly different and you picked up power-ups as you went along, eventually meeting the big boss at the end of a level.

Games back then were so innocent, especially the kiddie games. Now the kids just play COD or GTA when they are about 6 or 7 years old, so that innocence is gone. Not many people want the Croc style games any more, which is sad really

If a Croc style game came out, or a game like Ty the Tasmanian (butchered) tiger came out. Hell even a new ... what was that guys name... not Jersey Devil.. the super hero like guy.. ugh his name escapes me right now, but damn. I hope that someday a batch of good games come out, one old school style Survival Horror like Silent Hill 1, a Platformer type game like Rayman or Spyro & to top it off a nice little RPG like the old Final Fantasy's.

Do I miss old games? That's like asking if the sky is blue. Yes, yes, a thousand times, YES. I have mentioned in countless threads about how much better the old games were. Although some of that has to do with nostalgic inflation though. Were the NES and SNES really all that awesome? If we had the 360, PS3, and Wii back in 1987 then they would have the same treatment today that the NES had because they would have been what we grew up with. It's a matter of what made a big influence on us long ago. That aside, do I miss old games? Absolutely. I still play the old Mario Bros, Zelda, and Final Fantasy games like there's no tomorrow. Nothing will ever replace the impact they had on me as a child. It's not ALL nostalgic inflation though. Old games were better in the sense that they were about having a great time due to the fact that the game developers were trying to make games that people could have a great time playing. It was not having "realistic" graphics or violence in cut-scenes. Now they just want to make money off of games that are dull and far too realistic. Games should be an escape from reality, and old games were. This is a topic I'm extremely passionate about and I stand firm in my beliefs on it.

Yes they are getting dull.Not in graphics or anything those are good,its the storyline.Itsb basically the same one now just some minor detail changed.

And anyone remember Jak and Daxter and the sequels?those games were legendary

I still play the old Mario Bros, Zelda, and Final Fantasy games like there's no tomorrow. Nothing will ever replace the impact they had on me as a child.

Who doesn't? Those games were awesome. I break out the Nintendo probably once a year. I try not to do it so often so that when I do it's like a new experience. It's incredible that no matter how well you knew the game there are things that seem like a surprise every time.

In my eyes, I hate 98% of all games that come out. There are certain games I loved that came out recently (Red Dead Redemption, Rock Band 3, Resident Evil 5) but the majority of all games I couldn't care less about.

Personally the game I miss the most was one of the first I got for the ps1. That was legend of dragoon. People call it a cheap knock off of the FF series. I can't dissagree with them really because its so much like that series, but the gameplay was sweet. I loved the different charicters you could get in the game. You would start off struggling to beat the bosses because of your low level. But as the game went on and you had more people to fight with it was like wow, this is hard but I know I can do it.

I ended up playing the 4 disk games untill one of them broke and I really just finished the game up and then quit playing it. I really think they should have made a second one because the grafics were pretty good for the Ps1. I wanted to see what they could do with p2 grafics.

Do you think the games of today are becoming dull in terms of genre and story?

Honestly, yes I do. I believe the game industry is focusing more on the graphics of games instead of the overall value. If we could get back to trying to make games fun, addictive, and affordable instead of how many cutscenes we can stuff in it then I think you have a winner.

Do you miss the old games like Crash Bandicoot, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokémon?

I am an old nostalgic gamer, as some may speculate based on past threads. I love almost everything that came out of the PS1, N64, SNES, GBC, etc etc etc even up to Atari. Of course I miss it; those were the best days of a kid's life. I didn't have to worry about shit getting real on the news and in the rest of the media. I was too busy rescuing the princess and flying around in my Starfox to give it a second glance.

I think in our determination to advance everything we lost our reason why we wanted to play video games in the first place. It was meant to escape from reality. Now it's getting too realistic.

I don't think that games are all becoming the same, but there is a lot of them that do go for the same thing. Look at all the war games there are. Now, look at the new Golden Eye for the wii. It is supposed to be about a detective and it turned into a warlike game when played online.

I do miss the old games like Banjo Kazoooe or however you spell it. They just had some easier to understand story lines and they were not all jacked up dudes. It seems that most games today have their main characters all buff. Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed. Can't they just do something simple like a bear fighting a witch or Gorilla fighting bees and crocodiles like Donkey Kong?

I break out the Nintendo probably once a year. I try not to do it so often so that when I do it's like a new experience. It's incredible that no matter how well you knew the game there are things that seem like a surprise every time.

I do the same, and pull out the old PS1 or N64 once a year or so, and replay some of my old games. Diddy Kong Racing and Wave Race for the 64 were fucking beasts of games, as obviously was WWF No Mercy!

For the PS1 I bring out the old Crash Bandicoot, Tekken 3, Battle Arena Toshinden, Total Driving, Street Racer, Toca Touring Cars 2 and Croc- Legend Of The Gobbos

Diddy Kong Racing and Wave Race for the 64 were fucking beasts of games, as obviously was WWF No Mercy!

I forgot about that game. Fond memories actually. The one I bought was defective and I didn't know until I'd had it for a while because all I'd done is exhibition matches, no "career mode" or create a wrestler. When I started doing that stuff I noticed it would save for a day or two and then erase. I read somewhere that there were a batch of "No Mercy" games released that had the same problem but I'd had mine for months and knew I couldn't go back to wherever I got it. So I went to the Family Video down the road, rented it, put the tag on my game and returned it. I was a little bastard, lol.

Yes, I do. I love the graphics and stories in newer games, but there isn't much longevity to them. The only game that proves to be the exception to this for me is Batman: Arkham Asylum. Dear god that game is fucking amazing. But it is really the only game in the past 5 years or so that really blew me away.

The thing I miss the most though is the difficulty. I haven't struggled through many games in awhile, until I downloaded the original Metroid a few weeks ago. Holy Fuck, I barely get anywhere without dying.

I miss the old Crash Bandicoot series. They were simple yet effective. I feel now games try too hard to be "elite" status. Not many games now are simplified down so you can have "raw" fun, like you used to be able to. Obviously consumers don't want some simplified game for their 360/PS3/PC if they're buying it for 60 dollars, but meh.

I miss fighting games, really.... Sure there's Tekken 6, SSF 4, and the upcoming MK game but I want more than that... I want a new Killer Instinct game or some other fighting game to come up and catch my eyes with an interesting storyline. MK always has compelling storylines in their kapaigns (as the spell it) and if you ask me, those are the best.

I also miss games like The Bouncer. Such a sweet sweet game that had every potential to be a sequel, but never got there. I really wish someone would buy the rights off of Sony and Square so that way a sequel can be made and XBL can get the original as DLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back