Did you know?

Wald

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I like reliving some wrestling history on my downtime and it's funny the things you come across. Despite watching WCW during this time I never had any idea that between Sept 1999 and April 2000 the WCW World Title was vacated 6 times. I'm not surprised mind, just didn't know. Here's the stats:

Sept 12th 1999 - Sting defeats Hogan for the title
Oct 25th 1999 - Sting is stripped of the title for attacking the ref at Halloween Havoc
Nov 21st 1999 - Bret beats Benoit for the title in a tournament final
Dec 20th 1999 - Title vacated due to controversial finish of Bret vs Goldberg at Starrcade
Dec 20th 1999 - Bret defeats Goldberg for the title on Nitro (yep they vacated the title at the start of the show to give it back to Bret at the end)
Jan 16th 2000 - Title vacated due to Bret's injury
Jan 16th 2000 - Benoit defeats Sid for the title
Jan 17th 2000 - Title vacated after Benoit joins WWF
Jan 24th 2000 - Sid defeats Kevin Nash after defeating the Harris Brothers to gain the title shot against Nash, who was commissioner at the time
Jan 25th 2000 - Title vacated by Nash after he says Sid pinned the illegal Harris Brother during the handicap tag match
Jan 25th 2000 - Nash gives himself the title (I wish I were making this up)
Jan 25th 2000 - Sid defeats Nash
April 10th 2000 - All titles declared vacant by Russo & Bischoff as part of the New Blood angle

What an utter mess. Interesting though I think.

Anyone else have random stats or facts?

I can't say that I have an interesting stat or fact, but I have to tell you that is a very interesting fact set you have there.

Of course, this is when WCW was rolling downhill, and was already halfway there. The creative was just terrible. Vacating the title that many times is just laziness.

The funny thing is that I was a WWF guy when I started watching wrestling religiously in 1997 but even until late 1998 I still enjoyed WCW Nitro. It was those crazy title switches in 1999 to 2000 that pretty much killed my interest with the product and never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back