Deleted Match of WrestleMania XX

TheStone42

Dark Match Winner
I have been noticing a popular trend as of late whether it be the WWE WrestleMania magazines, WWE.com WrestleMania Countdown, etc. The main event of WrestleMania XX has been deleted. As all of you probably know, the true main event of WM 20 was Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit in a triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship. This was the first time ever that the World Title was defended in a triple threat at 'Mania and was one awesome match. But now the main event reads Undertaker vs. Kane. Now I understand that WWE has distanced itself from Benoit, but removing a match at a WrestleMania that had that much hype just doesn't feel right to me. So my questions are:

1. Should WWE delete this match and act like it never happened, replacing the main event with Undertaker vs. Kane?
2. Do you think WWE will remove the match from the WrestleMania XX DVD or not release anymore DVDs of the event at all?

I agree, in a sense, that WWE has gone too far, in reality I think the real problem is not necessarily what Benoit did (at least in terms of erasing him from the WWE,) but more the way they honoured him between the confirmation of his death, and the reality of the circumstances. in all honesty I don't think WWE would have removed him from the history books had they not been in a position where it was even more necessary to save face. Within the ring Benoit was a legend and a deserving champ. The circumstances surrounding the death of him and his family are abhorrent, but to pretend that the man never existed, regardless of justification, is not right.

If George Foreman, Lennox Lewis or Michael Schumacher did what Benoit did do you think they would be erased from their sport? They would acknowledge that he once existed and probably remove any products with their name on it and donate a his "appearance fee" from any videos/DVDs sold to charity.

Also pretending he never existed doesn't make what happened disappear.

They should leave the matches on the DVDs but just don't promote them. I have no problems with the WWE not recognizing Benoit. I LOVED watching Benoit wrestle but he did murder his wife and child. Wrestling has enough bad press already. If the WWE started promoting old Benoit matches it will get a whole lot more.

It really saddens me about this because Benoit was apart of so many classic matches that will most likely never see the day of light thanks to this erasing of him ever existing. His classic match with Eddie at Vengeance 2003, Angle/Benoit RR 2003, Angle/Benoit vs Edge/Mysterio vs Guerreros SS 2002, and many others. Somebody said something about putting them on a dvd but just not promoting it. Probably the best thing they could do.

He murdered his wife and son. Why would they want to even mention him after that? I understand he was great in the ring and I myself was a huge fan but he murdered his wife and son, that is pretty much the lowest thing you could do in my mind.

Erasing him from the history books is a pretty light punishment for what he did compared to the punishment he put his wife and son through. It could have been the greatest match of all time and I still would have no problem with WWE doing what their doing.

The way I would do it is leave everything the way it was in regards to what Benoit did in the matches, commentary regarding him in those matches etc, but like SinCityBlitz said, don't promote the matches on the DVD. That way, people can enjoy those matches the way they really happened, and not choppy, either the match or the commentary during the matches. Like on the Satan's Prision DVD, they chopped the commentary on Benoit if he did something good in the 1 match he was in, and it was weird watching it not knowing what was being said (even though I have the New Years Revelation DVD it appeared on originally)

Yes, I agree that they should not celebrate Benoit in the sense of promotion. However, it is also rather hypocritical to include and celebrate another felon, Mike Tyson. What Benoit did will and should never be excused, but Dude was outside of his mind due to general abuse of drugs and Concussions. Again, that is not an excuse, or a justification, it's a simple statement of fact.

What sucks the most about WWE erasing Benoit from DVDs and such is that it hurts the fans. The fans are the one's who buy the DVDs and go to the website and as fans I believe most of us of gotten over it. We just want the good memories now that he's gone but since WWE is still trying to save face in a public that most likely doesn't even remember what happened, maybe a few but if anybody brought it up and was offended for some reason, it would blow over in a week, the fans have to be on the receiving end of all the edits such as the Elimination Chamber DVD set.
No it shouldn't be deleted and no it shouldn't be replaced. I've seen that DVD set at Wally World and I've been thinking about buying it too.

I think they should keep everything the same. Don't promote him though, people act as if not mentioning him will make people forget of the terrible thing he did. It won't, people still know about it so why erase him? Yes it was a terrible and low thing that he did but he still is a part of wrestling history.

He murdered his wife and son. Why would they want to even mention him after that? I understand he was great in the ring and I myself was a huge fan but he murdered his wife and son, that is pretty much the lowest thing you could do in my mind.

Erasing him from the history books is a pretty light punishment for what he did compared to the punishment he put his wife and son through. It could have been the greatest match of all time and I still would have no problem with WWE doing what their doing.

So should we try and erase any legacy you build after your death based on the worst thing you ever did? What Beniot did was terrible, there is no disputing that, it tarnished his legacy as a human and as a person. That doesn't mean it should destroy his legacy as a wrestler or entertainer.

There is a difference in promoting Chris Beniot the man who murdered his family and in promoting the Rabid Wolverine who broke his body in the ring to entertain us day after day for years. You can acknowledge one without celebrating the other, and yes I am one of those who believes he should find his rightful place in the Hall of Fame some day.

I think erasing all mention of Benoit is ridiculous to say the least. It just isn't practical to remove hours of footage because one person did an atrocious crime.

Are they going to remove the Royal Rumble match from RR 2004, as well, as Benoit won it? Are they going to have every Raw PPV between WMXX and Summerslam 2004 not have a main-event, because of this.

I heard that the WWE planned on removing matches with Benoit, because public perception may be that by goving him the World Title, they are awarding a "murderer". How can WWE be blamed for putting their title on someone who killed their wife and child THREE YEARS LATER! No-one knew that benoit would do this, so how can the WWE be blamed for not having ESP and knowing that Benoit would do what he is accussed of doing. Anyone who blames WWE for "making a murderer as World Champion" is a fool, and deserves to be ignored, not catered to.

It makes me wonder what would have happened if this was someone higher up the tree, like "Stone Cold" Steve Austin or Triple H. If Undertaker had committed the same crime, imagine the years of footage that would have to erased to get rid of a 20-year career. It's just not practical.

Look, the WWE shouldn't mention him again, or put him in the HoF. They can't change their past, but they can control the future, and how they treat Benoit in the future is up to them, but you can't "go back in time" and change things.

This is not a defence of Benoit's actions, but the impracticality of removing anyone from DVDs, as it is a long and wasteful undertaking, and even then, something might get missed.

It's all about the circumstance... The NFL suspended Sean Patton for a year for something he may not even have known about... At the same time only suspended Ben Roethlisberger For 4 games for rape... The circumstance justifies Damage Control. And I do not want to be reminded that the repeated hits to the head lead him to murder his family... His career is now known as the path that led to this tragedy...

This reminds me of 1984 by George Orwell, I guess WWE is going to change history again, hopefully you don't remember the way it used to be. After all they don't even want to acknowledge their former WWF acronym as it has been blurred out of recent DVD releases.

I think erasing all mention of Benoit is ridiculous to say the least. It just isn't practical to remove hours of footage because one person did an atrocious crime.

Are they going to remove the Royal Rumble match from RR 2004, as well, as Benoit won it? Are they going to have every Raw PPV between WMXX and Summerslam 2004 not have a main-event, because of this.

I heard that the WWE planned on removing matches with Benoit, because public perception may be that by goving him the World Title, they are awarding a "murderer". How can WWE be blamed for putting their title on someone who killed their wife and child THREE YEARS LATER! No-one knew that benoit would do this, so how can the WWE be blamed for not having ESP and knowing that Benoit would do what he is accussed of doing. Anyone who blames WWE for "making a murderer as World Champion" is a fool, and deserves to be ignored, not catered to.

It makes me wonder what would have happened if this was someone higher up the tree, like "Stone Cold" Steve Austin or Triple H. If Undertaker had committed the same crime, imagine the years of footage that would have to erased to get rid of a 20-year career. It's just not practical.

Look, the WWE shouldn't mention him again, or put him in the HoF. They can't change their past, but they can control the future, and how they treat Benoit in the future is up to them, but you can't "go back in time" and change things.

This is not a defence of Benoit's actions, but the impracticality of removing anyone from DVDs, as it is a long and wasteful undertaking, and even then, something might get missed.

Totally agree with everything you just said.

I mean it also affects other wrestlers aswell. Who's going to know how Randy Orton won his first Heavyweight championship? It's also a shame cause i absolutely loved the main-event at Wrestlemania XX, was truely a classic match.

I had touched on this in another thread and I think it should be repeated. For the longest time I thought Benoit's footage should be left intact, and even mention him in instances where his history is necessary. The one that comes to mind is where they don't mention him as a person that won the Rumble from the first spot. Then two things happened. I read Chris Jericho's newest book. In case you didn't, there is a chapter on Benoit. Jericho mentions a phone conversation with Benoit's son from another woman, and how the son almost in tears asked Jericho if it was still ok for him to go to the wrestling matches. It broke Jericho's heart. Mine to. If you don't want to read the whole book just read that chapter. The second thing that happened was I had a child. I don't really need to say anymore about that, but those two things changed my mind. It pains me to say it because I watched Benoit since his early WCW days, and I know that he wasn't in his right mind, but I no longer care if they erase him or not.

Let's face it....for Vince to choose to do something that costs money to do,then might cost buyers, it's bad. The bottom line is what was said off the start......Vince was embarrassed. He took a two hour program the night after, without having looked into it, and gave a TWO HOUR TRIBUTE to the guy. He turned every fan away, empty arena and gave a tribute to him. Hell, Owen Hart DIED ON HIS SHOW, and not only did he finish the show, but he did one the next night. Yes, Vince as done tributes to Owen and Eddie, but not like what was done with Benoit. Let's not pretend that this as everything to do with what Benoit did, but it has a lot to do with Vince not looking good a week later. As I said, he's promoted and celebrated another felon in Mike Tyson.

WWE will never be able to delete all of it. We live in the internet era and have tons of old VHS/DVDs in our world that will be found and put on the internet.

And honestly, no one remembers benoit for his mic work(because he had none...so were not losing much there). Like honestly all benoit said his entire career was "Im 4 real", "Orlando, it takes me longer to pee than make you tap", and a couple backstage clips of him fighting kurt angle"....whoopty do.

As for his matches...we pretty much got all of them already available with a quick google, youtube or ebay search(older dvds). Were only missing a bunch of matches he had regulary from raw, smackdown, velocity and sunday night heat....but who cares? Im not heart broken of not being able to see benoit make orlando jordon, matt hardy or a-train tap out.:lmao:

Luckily i still have Benoits DVD set with pretty much his most famous matches. Then i have the old summerslam dvd with him losing to orton. Then i have some old dvds from the early 2000's with him fighting jericho, angle etc. Easy enough to find on ebay.

I have a feeling when vince finally dies, HHH will take over and bring back benoits history. HHH obviously doesnt believe benoit should be forgotten.

1. They obviously should. While I think some of the lengths they have gone to erase Benoit from their history is a bit too much,I can understand why they've done everything they could to make it seem like he never existed. Benoit will forever be remembered as a murderer and if the WWE were to continue celebrating his career by showing off his greatest matches and talking about his accomplishments,then they would come off as glorifying a murderer. It's as simple as that. It's bad PR for the company and they don't need any of that. To us,the WWE may be celebrating his undoubtedly great career while not glorifying the tragic way he chose to end his life,but to the casual fan or even worse,the non-wrestling fans who know of Benoit from the news,it would be seen as an attempt to use Benoit's notoriety to sell DVDs and trying to cash in on the death of a woman and a child. That's the worst part,that Benoit killed a white woman and a child. Nobody in the mainstream will ever forgive him for that. I know it sounds racist,but it's not,the mainstream media has a fetish for dead white women. People would give less of a flying fuck if Benoit had killed a man instead.

While we're talking about whether the WWE should do this or that,we forget one fact,that frankly,Benoit was never THAT important to pro wrestling. He was a one-time WCW Champion and a one-time World Heavyweight Champion and neither title reign was legendary or historic in any way. He wasn't one of the greatest champions of all time,and anyone worth his salt could come up with a top 50 greatest wrestlers list without including him. I'm coming off as an insensitive asshole again,but people are just playing up his career because he's dead. I love Benoit,and I just watched a few of my 2001 PPVs yesterday,so his matches are still fresh in my mind,and I know that Benoit was that damn good,but I also know for a fact that he was never a big part of pro-wrestling history.

2. WrestleMania XX was a historic WrestleMania,so I think they would definitely release DVDs and Blu-Rays of the show with Benoit's match edited out. Besides,WrestleMania XX was the official beginning of the rise of Cena,plus it marked the return of the Undertaker's deadman gimmick. It also had the return of the Rock 'n' Sock Connection,plus Lesnar vs. Goldberg and Angle vs. Guerrero. There's too much on the show for them to leave it out. Can I deal with that fact that Undertaker vs. Kane is now the main event? Yeah,I could deal with that,so can most people.

I think they are totally justified in erasing anything they want, it's there content not yours, its there ass on the line if someone decides to take offence to them publicizing and glorifying someone who was accused of murder, Not You...

no point harping on about it, it happened and they have taken there stance to protect there interests. Just move on, Chris Benoit will not be ever mentioned again the forseeable future and anything related strictly to him will be removed.

Nothing stopping you getting the non edited versions, only versions created since the tragedy have been edited, and also themes etc. changed so they don't have to pay license and royalties.

as for Benoit, if you are a fan you know what he did and they can't take that away, same with Macho Man being seemingly blackbanned for a decade but that doesn't stop us from remembering his accomplishments just the fans that weren't there then may not know and have withnessed it.

Some people just don't understand. It's easy to sit there and say keep his matches on dvd's for example, but if if you owned a huge company like the WWE would you really want any mention of Benoit? Because you'd be a businessman, you'd more than likely say no. Why? To steal a line from Vince, "It's not good for business". And guess what? He's absolutely right. Benoit is a murderer and if you start throwing his name around and keeping his matches on dvd's, it'll just open another huge can of worms.

Some people just don't understand. It's easy to sit there and say keep his matches on dvd's for example, but if if you owned a huge company like the WWE would you really want any mention of Benoit? Because you'd be a businessman, you'd more than likely say no. Why? To steal a line from Vince, "It's not good for business". And guess what? He's absolutely right. Benoit is a murderer and if you start throwing his name around and keeping his matches on dvd's, it'll just open another huge can of worms.

OJ Simpson
Nobody is more image conscious than the NFL. OJ Simpson was found guilty of murdering his exwife in civil court. He is in prison right now as I type this. Yet the NFL has not erased him. They have not deleted him from highlight reals. The NFL owned, NFL NETWORK just recently did a 100 GREATEST PLAYERS of all time list and guess who was on it? OJ Simpson

What Benoit did was horrible. But what good does deleating him from DVD's and such do? Pretending that he never existed and never wrestled in your organization does not change what happened. It won't change what he did. It won't bring his wife and kid back. Don't hype benoit. Don't promote Benoit. But I firmly disagree about editing his matches off of DVD's

At the end of the day. Chris Benoit did what he did. Complete fucking scumbag... COWARD. But, he did exist. And was one the greatest EVER. There is no denying that. WWE shouldnt erase it like they have, just don't mention or promote him.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/20/results

just to let you know that they haven't COMPLETELY erased him, just removed it/not advertised it as the main event. Which I do not have a problem with. If they tried to remove it completely, i would, but this is fine. This year we have 4 main events (although bryan/sheamus probably shouldnt be included). Do you think in 8 years times they will still have all 3/4 listed. No, they will just advertise it as the WM that Rock v Cena

Are they gonna boot OJ Simpson out of the NFL Hall of Fame because of the first trial, and now his 33 year imprisonment?

Dante Stallworth ran over and killed a pedestrian and got a lousy 30 days in prison, 2 year house arrest and 1 year NFL Suspension. And yet, just got signed to the New England Patriots for 2012.

Fact is, Benoit did a hideous, sick, horrible thing. But who the hell could have predicted that? Many people were hurt and confused after everything, but still, regardless of what he did outside of the ring, he should still be respected for what he accomplished IN the ring. Advertising him? Nope. Stay away from that. But It's not just HIS matches that we miss, it's his opponents. Would the HHH/HBK/Benoit match have been as good if it were anyone else? The draw of all 3 people is what kept everyone watching. It was an amazing match, and a historical night. THAT is what should be honored. I've seen the match dozens of times, and HHH and HBK are the main focus. Benoit comes out at the end and wins, but the HHH/HBK Feud is what people were REALLY looking at. You can't take away from Benoit in the ring, but in life, he commited one of the worst crimes in Sports history. His footage should stay. He existed, and it's a fact of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back