Dear Lee

Emos use any music and pretend it's emo. ERASURE REPRESENTS MY TORTURED SOOOOOOOUL

Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time. In my opinion at least. I honestly don't care for any grunge outside of Pearl Jam, who were twenty times as musically talented as Nirvana. Probably the only music you and I would disagree on X.

Yeah, definitely. Nirvana is one of my favorite bands and has been since I was ten years old.

I know, I always get shit because I don't like Nirvana. If they weren't praised as much as they are it wouldn't be so bad. It's not one of those ''Oh I'll hate them because everyone loves them" situations either. I honestly just think they're garbage. A perfect example of right place/right time.

Would absolutely, positively disagree with you there. A thousand times. Nirvana were not "right place, right time", that's the description befitting johnny-come-latelys like the Stone Temple Pilots or Silverchair, who quite literally were in the right place at the right time playing the right kind of music. For awhile literally every fuckin' grunge band was just getting signed up by the major labels all because of how popular Nirvana was, and it was because they absolutely perfected a genre. Cobain is to grunge as Tupac/Biggie are to hip-hop. Nirvana worked their way up for years touring all over the country and the UK, paying their dues. Plus, even if you don't like Nirvana, you can't really argue with Cobain's talent as a musician and songwriter, or his ability to write a melodic song. I mean, you listen to something like "About a Girl", and you can put that right up against a classic Beatles pop song like "She Loves You" or something similar, and the similarities are remarkable. Cobain was one of the most gifted songwriters ever in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant Armbar. Few things will rile me up. This is one of them.

By right time, right place I meant that they were what fans wanted at the time. They were new, different and an extreme change of pace. I guarentee that if someone or a band came out today and did the exact opposite of what everyone else was doing, people would love them as well. That's not downplaying Nirvana's influence or whatever, it's just how I feel about their rise to stardom.

The way I feel about The Doors and Marley is much the way I feel about Nirvana; a great poet as a frontman but a severe lack of skills in other areas. I'm not saying that either band had to have the best guitarists, bassists and drummers but they showed very little knowledge of the instruments they were playing. Obviously I don't know the men so I can't say that they had no skills at all, only in what i heard from the music. It just sounds...ugly to me. The tuning, the chords they used over and over again. I will concede that Dave Grohl is an amazing musician and drummer.

It really comes down to tast. I would never deny the influence they have had as it's incredibly apparent.

When did The Beatles write a song called "She Loves Me"? :)

I dont mind Nirvana much, though I certainly dont love them. I tend to get pissed off at the vocals of Cobain, and Grunge just isnt a genre I like much of. That said, Nirvana is one of the only bands I personally have enjoyed at times. I definitely dont think they were just a case of 'right place right time'/

So you're insulting Cobain's ability technically as a guitarist? He was twice the guitarist of any other popular rock band of the time from Pearl Jam to Alice in Chains to Soundgarden. Listen to his playing on the Live at Reading album. Considering no less than Rolling Stone has called him the twelfth greatest guitarist in rock history I really don't get where this myth of Cobain being a poor musician comes from. Like, can I get some evidence of this said shoddy musicianship?

Oh and you had to diss Jim Morrison too in your post Armbar?! Damnit man, are you trying to break my fucking heart you cruel bastard?

I'm just going to sit back, relax, and read.

X and I had this battle about 6 months ago. We never found a common ground. But I still love thou.

So you're insulting Cobain's ability technically as a guitarist? He was twice the guitarist of any other popular rock band of the time from Pearl Jam to Alice in Chains to Soundgarden. Listen to his playing on the Live at Reading album. Considering no less than Rolling Stone has called him the twelfth greatest guitarist in rock history I really don't get where this myth of Cobain being a poor musician comes from. Like, can I get some evidence of this said shoddy musicianship?

Oh and you had to diss Jim Morrison too in your post Armbar?! Damnit man, are you trying to break my fucking heart you cruel bastard?

First off, Rolling Stone's opinions are shit. They called the drummer for Slipknow the second greatest drummer of this generation or some shit. After that I've never listened to a stupid thing they've said.

My mind is blown by the fact that you're saying Cobain was a better guitarist than Kim Thayil, Vedder or Stone Gossard. That's...insane. I'm not ranking them in a top five guitarists list, but they are better than Cobain. Maybe there's a video out there that I have never seen where Cobain plays some different than the same mix of chords he plays in just about everything. Amazing writer...yes. Guitarist? I don't believe so.

I didn't mean to diss Morrison. I like the Doors, I swear. I was just saying that he WAS The Doors and the band itself wasn't the greatest.

I didn't mean to diss Morrison. I like the Doors, I swear. I was just saying that he WAS The Doors and the band itself wasn't the greatest.

This man disagrees somewhat.
ray+m.jpg

Ray Manzarek is an a-fucking-mazing player. I got a chance to see him play in Santa Cruz years back and I was floored.

I'm not a big fan of Nirvana either. They're good, but not as good as everyone says. But I don't think they're a "right place, right time" band. The people wanted something different, that could've been any alternate band in 1991. By that logic, any grunge or alt rock band were merely in the right place, right time. But the fact that everyone chose Nirvana to be the leader of the grunge movement shows that they were also offering something the other grunge bands weren't, they were doing it better. So Nirvana did get to where they were mostly because of Kurt Cobain's talent moreso than right place, right time.

But as for Cobain being the best guitarist of the era, I have to disagree. Yes, he had the raw passion blaring through the guitar, but that to me isn't enough to make him the best guitarist of an era. You need the passion and emotion, but also technical ability as well as being unique, experimenting a bit. Cobain was decent, but I don't think he was better than Kim Thayil, Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo or Billy Corgan, even though he was arguably the best lyricist and vocalist of the era.

First off, Rolling Stone's opinions are shit. They called the drummer for Slipknow the second greatest drummer of this generation or some shit. After that I've never listened to a stupid thing they've said.

Never read that, or heard of that. Rolling Stone's opinions are most definitely not shit, atleast when it comes to things like greatest-of-all-time lists they create are almost always great.

My mind is blown by the fact that you're saying Cobain was a better guitarist than Kim Thayil, Vedder or Stone Gossard. That's...insane.

If by "insane" you mean "completely true", than yes. You might be able to argue Thayil, but Stone Gossard is completely run-of-the-mill, as was Vedder with a guitar.

I'm not ranking them in a top five guitarists list, but they are better than Cobain. Maybe there's a video out there that I have never seen where Cobain plays some different than the same mix of chords he plays in just about everything. Amazing writer...yes. Guitarist? I don't believe so.

"Same mix of chords"? Seriously? And Stone Gossard and Kim Thayil didn't play the "same mix of chords" as well for years? Fuck you couldn't even seperate one Thayil riff from another during the early days of Soundgarden, it was all the same dark murky tinny poorly produced metal-esque mess, and that's coming from a big Soundgarden fan.

There's something more to being a great guitarist than simply being a technical maestro like Yngvie Malmsteen or something, much more important than that are things like melody and song structure, of which Cobain was an absolute master of both with his guitar. Last time I checked they didn't create an entire new line of guitars for Kim Thayil or Stone Gossard, but they did for Kurt Cobain.

I'd disagree there as well. You won't find a better Moog synthesizer player than Ray Manzarek, and Krieger wasn't a bad guitarist by any means.

This man disagrees somewhat.
ray+m.jpg

Ray Manzarek is an a-fucking-mazing player. I got a chance to see him play in Santa Cruz years back and I was floored.

Fuck me you're right. I will take back what I said about the whole band then, because Manzarek is an amazing musician. How many people do you see wearing his shirts though? How often do you hear about how revolutionary he was? Not at all because people are too concerned with Morrison.

Fuck me you're right. I will take back what I said about the whole band then, because Manzarek is an amazing musician. How many people do you see wearing his shirts though? How often do you hear about how revolutionary he was? Not at all because people are too concerned with Morrison.

Oh, I'm not denying that the long term appeal and image of the band has been and will always be Morrison. Just giving a guy his props.

Never read that, or heard of that. Rolling Stone's opinions are most definitely not shit, atleast when it comes to things like greatest-of-all-time lists they create are almost always great.

I think they're lists are shit. They play to popular opinion and nothing more. Agree to disagree.

If by "insane" you mean "completely true", than yes. You might be able to argue Thayil, but Stone Gossard is completely run-of-the-mill, as was Vedder with a guitar.

I'll go ahead and say that Vedder was average on guitar. There is no way that Cobain was better than Gossard, you can argue that they were equal perhaps. That's me being generous.

"Same mix of chords"? Seriously? And Stone Gossard and Kim Thayil didn't play the "same mix of chords" as well for years? Fuck you couldn't even seperate one Thayil riff from another during the early days of Soundgarden, it was all the same dark murky tinny poorly produced metal-esque mess, and that's coming from a big Soundgarden fan.

If you think those things apply to Gossard and not Cobain you're crazy X. At least what he played was more creative than Cobain. Obviously that's a matter of opinion and you'll disagree but Nirvana songs are twenty times simpleier and easy to play than either PJ or Soundgarden.

There's something more to being a great guitarist than simply being a technical maestro like Yngvie Malmsteen or something, much more important than that are things like melody and song structure, of which Cobain was an absolute master of both with his guitar. Last time I checked they didn't create an entire new line of guitars for Kim Thayil or Stone Gossard, but they did for Kurt Cobain.

Song structure? Nirvana songs are some of the simplist songs on Earth. How is that a good example? I also think that they had a shit knack for melody. They were very simply and easy melodies and not in the same way that say The Beatles wrote their songs. In no way am I a Beatles fanatic but that is what great melody is.

Doyle from The Misfits also had a line of guitars made. Even being my favorite band, I can tell you that The Misfits were never known for being technicaly amazing as far as musicianship goes. The difference between them and Nirvana though is people say Nirvana is the greatest band of all time. I also believe that Tom Delonge of Blink 182 also has a custom guitar so...

I'd disagree there as well. You won't find a better Moog synthesizer player than Ray Manzarek, and Krieger wasn't a bad guitarist by any means.

Krieger wasn't bad at all, but who talks about Krieger in terms of all time greats? Nobody. You have Morrison's face on the tshirts and in cheesy paintings. That shows you that he WAS The Doors, and he was a great poet with a good voice. Nothing more.

He's good but they also have a member of the band who dresses like a clown and bangs on trashcans from what I understand. He's a decent drummer but no fucking way he is in the top 2.

I was in no way claiming he was, it was a joke dude lulz

also, take no issue with theatrics and masks and shit. Except for ICP, becuase they are shit

ICP is basically the common ground all people with different opinions on music can find.

I don't have a problem with theatrics on stage or anything. I do think it's lame though that they say the reason they wear them is because they don't want to be faces with gimmicks and shit. Yet...they ARE a gimmick. They don't want to be judged based on appearance but it's half the reason they ever were noticed in the first place. I don't get it.

Pshh, why does everyone have to be hating on ICP and Juggalos?! Why do you hate Juggalos!? ICP is a good band, THEY'RE A GOOD BAND!!!!!

TO be fair, I loved them way before I even knew what they looked like. Wait and bleed ftw. I saw the album cover and was like WHAT THE FUUUUUUUHHHHCK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back