Your favourite guitarist

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
This is a series I was thinking of doing for members of bands. First up the Guitarist, who is your favourite/s and why.

I find it hard to put my favourite guitarists in order but here goes.

5. Kurt Cobain While Kurt is thought of singer first and guitarist second, he was an exceptional guitarist able to play fast songs as well as slow ones, the way he played the guitar mimiced his emotion in a way.

[YOUTUBE]iKT1P7x_Pzo[/YOUTUBE]

this is exceptional playing and it really goes with the song

[YOUTUBE]k96sAezF-VE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

the way this is emotional but still has that grunge factor is really amazing

and of course

[YOUTUBE]hTWKbfoikeg[/YOUTUBE]

this is just great

John Frusciante

Guitarist for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, John Frusicante started out at 18 and became a great guitarist, the way he plays is just great he always makes the guitar a driving part of the song. His solos are also extremly good and everybody loves them

[YOUTUBE]YlUKcNNmywk[/YOUTUBE]

it's simple yet so great and is the part of the song I remember, his solo is just amazing and makes you think.

He also plays funky guitar great

[YOUTUBE]8DyziWtkfBw&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

it is just so cool and during the chorus he changes so seamlessly and you wonder how he does it

Hillel Slovak The original guitarist for RHCP before he died of a drug overdose and was replaced with Frusicante. Why do I place Slovak ahead of Frusicante, because without Slovak, Frusicante wouldn't have been as good as he is, Frusicante took most of what he learnt from Slovak. Slovak had playing funky guitar to a tee. While I haven't listened to a lot of his stuff, the stuff I have the guitar is the defining part of the song and his solos are so funky that I listen to it again and again

[YOUTUBE]doDBApOv2oM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

the funkiness is just FREAKIN INSANE and that's why I love it

[YOUTUBE]0ifMPhtaMTU[/YOUTUBE]

the guitar is the instrument that stands out the most and with good reason.

Slash Starting out with Guns n Roses and then going to Velvet Revolver, Slash is great because he plays rock so well and just amps the song because he's playing and of course his solos are probably some of the best ever

[YOUTUBE]TFxv910zvmc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VZnb0-2yLy4&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

The way he does ballads just makes them sound more emotional to me

[YOUTUBE]P-AYAv0IoWI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8SbUC-UaAxE[/YOUTUBE]

This is probably THE best ballad ever and Slash's solo just amplifies that

Jimi Hendrix Jimi Hendrix is the guitarist all others inspire to be, he just was exceptional taking psychedelic rock to a new level. Hendrix just experimented with guitar and it paid off, his solos are THE best in the world because he could pull them off so easily he could just slide into a solo from playing the song

[YOUTUBE]RD7s4i_X-p0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0zfbrNukQvc[/YOUTUBE]

We're about to seriously clash on a few of our choices :lmao:

5- Eric Johnson.
Why:He made Cliffs of Dover, straight out of "Ah Via Musicom"

4- Buckethead

Why: It comes off as amazing as to the fact that the man can be a multi-istrumentalist and still have his "soul" lol. Either way, he truly showed he could slow down his playing on "Electric Tears" and "Colma". Heres a song from that album.

3- Tom Morello.

Why: He's the precursor to Matthew Bellamy's playing. His playing, and mixing/tinkering with the effects reached the point where Rage Against The Machine had to put a label on the album explaining that all the sounds they hear on the album came from the instruments they carried (Drums, Guitar, Bass).

2- Keith Richards.

Why: Because you don't need to do flashy and fast shit to be great. That, and when the other members claim that they follow HIM instead of the drummer, you're either good, or coked out. I'm inclined to both. His influence rooted in blues makes his style of playing very rythm oriented rather than lead oriented.

1- Eric Clapton.

Why: Alex put Hendrix on his, so let's just go the other way, and choose Slowhand. Personally, his blues style actually made me realize that I should prefer emotion on the notes rather than speed guiding them.

By the way, that IMO....that's one of the best ballads ever. Just throwing that out there.

I have to say the following are my two favorite guitarist:

1. Jimi Hendrix - Pretty easy choice, Hendrix was a master of the guitar and was able to pull some amazing riffs off. Like alex said his experimenting with the guitar lead to sounds people had never dreamed of hearing before. A definite revolutionist on the guitar.

2. Jimmy Page - Led Zepplin's lead guitarist was simply amazing. While not exactly as experimental as Jimi Hendrix, he was still easily the back bone of Zepplin and even his solo work was amazing. He's one of the biggest reasons Zepplin is my second favorite band behind The Doors.

So which of the two do I think is better? I give a very small edge to Jimi just because he could make you visualize his music with the guitar. Page was in a more traditional band set up, and Jimi could get into that "fuck it we're gonna try this shit" mode and some amazing things would come of it.

This man

[YOUTUBE]7Ip96vMuBKU[/YOUTUBE]

This probably isn't even the best example but Nick Drake is the most phenomenal guitarist I've ever heard. His accuracy, speed, style and finger strength is unmatched. I quite enjoy looking over Youtube for people trying to cover him and every damn one of them failing miserably.

My favourite guitarists would have to be.

4. John Frusciante : Because there's nobody like this guy that gets me to chill out more, than listening to some of his solo's in numerous RHCP songs.

3. Carlos Santana: Now I haven't listened to too much of his music, but the songs I have listened to, his guitar work is simply amazing and is very hard to match, only matched by my number 1 and 2 (because it would be odd having an opinion that my own number 1 and 2 favourites couldn't match my number 3 :) )

2. Joe Satriani: for the guys that don't know, he taught Kirk Hammett how to play the guitar, and that is one of the main reasons why he is so amazing to me, and also because his music is simply bone-chilling!

1. Kirk hammett: simply amazing solo's this guy can play, I get some amazing chills when listening to Fade to black. and I've watched the S&M concert on DVD quite a few times, and I still have to say he blows me away simply.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Absolutely one of the best guitarists to ever, EVER pick up a guitar. I love SRVs music. He has the ability to own the guitar and sing, his vocals are pretty much perfect as well. Shame he left us early.

[youtube]NU0MF8pwktg[/youtube]

Mark Tremonti - The guitarist for Creed/Alter Bridge. I like him, people are gonna hate me for this, but whatever. I think he's pretty badass. His solos in "Blackbird" were wonderful and you can just feel the emotion he brings when he plays.

[youtube]yz_j7nVCJJ0[/youtube]

Carlos Santana - I love Santana. I own like.. 6-7 Santana albums. Oh yes, vinyl is my friend. The man just brought a whole new face to music and he's so smooth on the guitar, even at his old age.

[youtube]MPXATfMB3QI[/youtube]

It is hard to narrow it down to just one.... but one of my favorite guitarists will always be Steve Clark because Def Leppard just wasn't the same after his death. Now, don't get me wrong here. I own enjoy every cd that they have ever made and do like all of them.... but their best ones by far are High & Dry, Pyromania, and Hysteria.... Clark helped make them as awesome as they were back then, and I can't imagine how much more awesome they'd have been if he had not died back in 1991.

I can't believe I forgot about these guys

Lenny Kravitz Hell yeah, taking inspiration from the likes of Hendrix and experimenting this guy is a great guitarist.

[YOUTUBE]eLhpHjmxNw8&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EvuL5jyCHOw[/YOUTUBE]

This possibly being his most famous song and for good reason, the guitar in this is amazing

John Squire

This guy is amazing and is one of the biggest reasons I listen to the Stone Roses, his guitar is so pyschedelic

[YOUTUBE]6IFeR7tQNdo[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: X
It has to be Stevie Ray Vaughn the greatest Blues guitarist ever i have never seen anybody play as good as him Pride and Joy is an amazing song and he is just amazing and in a close second it is Jimi Hendrix.

1. Zakk Wylde. Can play everything from blazing speed runs to soulful blues stuff. In my book the complete player.

2.Dimebag Darrell. Crushing tone, truly one of a kind riffs, and inovative solos. Plus he was a really cool guy.

3. Jimmy Page. Took american blues back to England and perfected it.

4. Slash. Great tone, tasty leads, just a great player.

5. Brian May. A fuckin genius.

I'm gonna go with Alexi Laiho, the lead singer and guitarist from Children of Bodom. That guy can rape a guitars strings like no one I've ever heard. I actually heard the guy broke his arm and was still able to play at the fast rate he always plays in; for a time being. One prime example of his guitar skills is the song; "Follow the Reaper". Towards the end, his guitar solo kicks in and it is possibly the wildest solo I've ever heard. Here's the link to said song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f9B5Ki36BQ

Dimebag Darell R.I.P. is/was my favorite of all time. He is easily the most popular of all the members of Pantera and his guitar riffs are legandary. Pantera has always been one of my favorite bands and one of the biggest reasons was him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back