• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[DC/Marvel] TV Shows/Movies Discussion Thread

JamJam

It's goin' down forreal!
Discuss.

---

So right now, there are a ton of DC/Marvel shows out there. Right now, we have: Arrow, Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, Constantine. Very soon, we'll have even more. If you've been following movie websites, then you know that there are more on the way. I am in no way a comic book expert but I like what I've seen. Out of all the shows out right now, Agents of SHIELD is the only one I haven't watched but I'm gonna give it a chance.

As for movies, DC has announced their movie schedule until 2019 I believe or 2020. Tomorrow, Marvel has a press conference where many are speculating that Marvel will reveal more of their movies. And who hasn't seen the Avengers 2 trailer yet?! Go watch it right now! Stop reading this and go watch it right now!

Arrow is great.
Flash is finding itself rather well
AoS is mediocre, but in such a way you keep watching to see if it gets great.
Gotham is still finding itself.
Constantine has struck out twice with the pilots but maybe it'll get somewhere near AoS's level.

Constantine is of no interest to me.
Arrow is must watch tv, hands down my favourite show
Flash is somewhere in between good to great, has a real advantage of having the same crew working on both it and arrow as you can see the teething isnt as bad as it was arrow. Will be interesting to see if it develops past arrow or not
Gotham feels like it is starting to head in the right direction and this week's show has left me hanging on for next week.
The way Penguin strolled in was magical
Havent touched Agents of Shield, intruiged by the idea but missed the start as it was on Channel 7 in Australia and i dont touch that pile of crap with a 100 foot pole and a biohazard suit and when the reviews were 'meh' i decided it wasnt worth the downloads. Which is a shame, if it does come good(which i hope it does) i'll try and binge watch it.

Why are we not talking about the new Doctor Strange related news?

Benedict Cumberbatch? This is gonna be good. Real good.

Arrow is great if one can overlook some ridiculous plot devices inherent to comicbook shows. One of my favourite shows at the moment and probably all time.

Gotham has not impressed me with the one episode I saw. Selina Kyle jumped on a car before pickpocketing someone. It was obvious reference to Catwoman that totally defeats the purpose of portraying her as a good thief. Making loud noises to attract attention before you steal someone's wallet is :banghead:.

The Flash has been solid so far. Having a better start than Arrow's initial first season helps. Smallville + Arrow is what I would summarise the show with thus far. Elements of Smallville with the freak of the week from a disaster in the local area that I hope they can get out of soon. And elements of Arrow with a scooby gang + villain hiding in plain sight + use of flashbacks.

I was bored by the Constantine pilot but I'll continue watching it to see if it gets any better. The lead actor doesn't do anything for me. The rest of the shows I've enjoyed so far.

What a busy day with all these announcements. I think the biggest thing here is that Marvel already knows what they're gonna do with Avengers 3 and 4. Who knows what the roster of the Avengers will be at that time.

Doctor Strange should be good since it's different from what we usually see. No love for Thor though? I've always liked the Thor films because they took us back to Asgard which I thought looked pretty good.

So how would you guys rate the TV shows out right now? I'd rank them like this: Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Constantine, and Agents of SHIELD. But that could all change since I'll be watching Agents of SHIELD a little later. Plus, Gotham and Constantine are really just starting out so we'll see.

Anyone else excited for the Teen Titans TV show?! I was hoping we'd get more news about that but so far, we've got nothing. It'll be on TNT and will be simply titled "Titans."

1414522545726.png

DAAAAAAMN!! I believe they mentioned Capt. Marvel would be female. So I'm guessing Carol Danvers? This is crazy. I honestly didn't think they'd do Civil War since it would pretty much turn Stark evil. Unless they do what they'll do with Age Of Ultron and patch a famous storyline name to a mostly original script. Kind of surprised by The Inhumans. But they've already been dipping into the Celestians and the Kree.

Black Panther will be in Cap 3 as well. So he'll basically be the Spiderman of the Civil War story as both Tony and Steve want him on their side as he holds a lot of power. He has apparently even filmed stuff for Age of Ultron too. Panther is no doubt what excites me the most about these announcements.

At least the movies in between avengers won't feel like fillers with all the new titles. Hope Marvel can repeat what they did with Guardians with all these new titles. Black Panther will be boss on screen.

I fear a backlash of having too many comicbook movies at the same time though. Audiences might get comicbook fatigue.

At least the movies in between avengers won't feel like fillers with all the new titles. Hope Marvel can repeat what they did with Guardians with all these new titles. Black Panther will be boss on screen.

I fear a backlash of having too many comicbook movies at the same time though. Audiences might get comicbook fatigue.

I don't see it any different from book adaptions. Its just that Marvel has managed to monopolize it.

I don't know my comic books well, all I wanna know is will Galactus be involved in any of these movies? I'm dying to see the big guy in his proper form on the big screen.

I don't see it any different from book adaptions. Its just that Marvel has managed to monopolize it.

Currently.

If DC get going, like they hope to, they will blow Marvel out of the water in terms of mainstream success, Marvel has a better roster overall but Batman and Superman would easily be the two biggest super heroes, with spiderman at 3 then daylight( in terms of mainstream)

Agents Of Shield is a must watch for me every week. The first season was kind of meh but it got good at the end and once it really got going it's kept me hooked.

The Flash S01E04 Thoughts

Best episode of the series yet. I know it's only the fourth episode of the series but it was a damn fine episode. Captain Cold made his debut which was freakin' awesome. Not only that, but there were a ton of sub-plots involving the West family, Team Flash's chemistry together, and now we get Heat Wave soon.

I like Cisco and if you search more about him, you know that he becomes a superhero called the Vibe. I found it very awesome to see that Cisco was the one who created the Cold Gun, it showed that Team Flash needed to have a backup plan for Barry if ever he went "rogue" ;) That was a cool little storyline there as it's pretty dark for a series like Flash. But I was glad to see it.

You're probably thinking how I'm not talking about Felicity yet huh? I don't even know the answer! Felicity being in this episode was really needed imo. I was getting tired of Barry being all sad over Iris. Barry's love interest in this show will be an interesting aspect of the show. There's Iris (you can never count her out), Felicity, and they've casted Malese Jow as Linda Park (who is actually the wife of Kid Flash. Awkward much?)

Overall, this was easily the best episode of the entire series. I think once they get away from the "villain of the week" formula and introduce some long-term rogues/villains, then this show will hit it's stride. I'm definitely enjoying it a whole lot. It has benefited a lot from having the same writers from Arrow, who have no doubt learned from it's mistakes in the early season of Arrow.
If DC get going, like they hope to, they will blow Marvel out of the water in terms of mainstream success, Marvel has a better roster overall but Batman and Superman would easily be the two biggest super heroes, with spiderman at 3 then daylight( in terms of mainstream)
Batman and Superman are definitely the most well known names of superheroes, won't disagree with you there. But right now, Marvel rules the comic book adaptations. It's an interesting discussion to have though so I want to ask all of you. Do you think DC takes over the comic book movie market once they really get going? Or is it too early to tell?

Do you think DC takes over the comic book movie market once they really get going? Or is it too early to tell?

I sincerely hope not as I find DC's main heroes to be largely rubbish compared to those of Marvel.

Sure they have some epic baddies - Joker, Luthor, Brainiac, Doomsday to name a few but I really do not want to see another Batman movie and Superman continues to be awful.

On top of that, so far DC has taken itself too seriously, signally failing to capture the wonder and colour of comic books that the likes of GotG did so well. It was perfectly fine for the Nolan Batman, which are barely superhero movies at all but that continued grimness will not help in the long run.

That said, Marvel does need to be careful about series burnout. I already have no interest in more Spiderman, while stand-alones for the Avengers and the X-Men I could take or leave.

I think you only need to see how well DC is doing on the small screen to think that if they get their movies right then there is no reason they cant match Marvel. I agree with Барбоса about DC's movies they dont set the tone right. I disagree with Барбоса, however, on the dark knight trilogy not being superhero films as alot of batman characters dont have superpowers anyway.

I feel DC struggle to make a superman villain translate across to the movies from the comics, which stems from the way they set the tone and the audience knowing where the film is heading. Also Барбоса, Marvel have no control on spiderman sony have the rights and will continue to churn out movies at a stupid pace as they lose the rights if they dont make a movie every so many years(not sure how many years it is)

I think you only need to see how well DC is doing on the small screen to think that if they get their movies right then there is no reason they cant match Marvel. I agree with Барбоса about DC's movies they dont set the tone right.

I would almost say that the number of small screen successes that have yet to turn into big screen success is starting to get a little worrying.

I disagree with Барбоса, however, on the dark knight trilogy not being superhero films as alot of batman characters dont have superpowers anyway.

That was the point I was making though. Batman and his opposition not having superpowers is part of the tone as well and I was perfectly fine with it (aside from Nolan getting caught up in his own hype by the time he came to the final act of TDK and all of DKR and cramming five movies worth of ideas into three). I just don't think that such a tone should be used for the rest of the DC-verse, while it also plays into one of my movie/TV hates - attempting to make everything seem atmospheric and deep just by making it dark so you can barely see what the fuck is going on. Batman has been a prime offender in this since Keaton first suited up, although it started to infect Superman as well in MoS.

Superman should be treated in a similar manner to Thor. Don't try to take it seriously. Treat it for what it is - a comic book story rather than a real world one.

Of course, with the upcoming Batman/Superman, it would seem that that grimy and dark approach is going to continue and those attempts at believability will make things like the mere mortal Batman being able to stand up to Superman or his enemies even more ridiculous.

Also Барбоса, Marvel have no control on spiderman sony have the rights and will continue to churn out movies at a stupid pace as they lose the rights if they dont make a movie every so many years(not sure how many years it is)

Regardless of who is producing them, I want no more Spiderman.

DAAAAAAMN!! I believe they mentioned Capt. Marvel would be female. So I'm guessing Carol Danvers? This is crazy. I honestly didn't think they'd do Civil War since it would pretty much turn Stark evil. Unless they do what they'll do with Age Of Ultron and patch a famous storyline name to a mostly original script. Kind of surprised by The Inhumans. But they've already been dipping into the Celestians and the Kree.

Yeah this is pretty awesome. I am down for the Civil War storyline taking the focus on Cap 3. It is going to be a nice way to introduce the new characters that have movies on the way like Panther & Strange. As far as the Inhumans go, I think that since it is dropped in between the two Avengers films that Thanos is going to fuck up Attilan in the first one & their film is going to be a mix of the infinity\inhumanity storylines. It looks like they are trying to keep some continuity going with these last sets of films, so that may be the plan.

At this point I dont care. Whatever happens we are finally getting to Infinity and whatever they have planned is gonna kick so much ass it will take two movies to contain the superpowered ruckusfuck.

DC is not gonna beat Marvel in movies. Its impossible at this point. All the Marvel movies lined up vs 3 or 4 DC ones? Its no contest. And that's not even taking the Fox & Sony (they still own Spiderman rights, right?) Marvel properties that DC has to compete with. Age of Apocalypse, Sinister Six? DC's heavily outgunned on movies. They should stick to TV where they know they are winning.

Yeah, plus their overall cast of characters that most fans want to see is just not as deep as that of Marvel. Only reason I hope Justice League does well is because I want to see The Legion of Doom at some point. I sure as hell would rather see an incarnation of that team get some screen time over the likes of Aquaman or some other useless members of the JLA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back