• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

David Otunga, Chris Masters re-run?

RadicalCraig

Mellow, with a dash of Radical
I cant help to notice that David Otunga, and the long-lost Chris Masters are very similar. Now im not saying that they are exactly the same, but anyone with eyes can see the similarities.

In-Ring/While I think that Chris Masters had far more potential than Otunga, they are still alike in the ring. Their move sets are similar, they do similar taunts, and I think they move the same way.

Look/Now besides the fact that Otunga is African American, I think they have a similar look. The underwear isnt exactly the same, but they are close. They are both huge men, who dont have a problem showcasing their bodies. I cant quite tell who is bigger, but I think Otunga is slightly shorter, and thicker, while Masters is Taller.

Gimmick/Basically the same. I know that Masters was face at points, but they play the heel game exactly the same. Cocky, Confident, Broad, Muscular type.

So what do you think? Is this WWE's way of bringing that gimmick back to te WWE, after releasing masters year before?

So Otunga is like Chris Masters because they have similar body types? I wonder why Mason Ryan wasn't compared to Chris Masters then?

He has own smug Harvard lawyer gimmick so I don't see why he would adopt one that wasn't real successful in the first place.

Yeah.... no.

I don't seem to recall Chris Masters being a lawyer or an assistant to a GM the way that Otunga was for Johnny. They are both muscular, but so what? That doesn't mean it's the same character. Otunga would have to give up the lawyer persona and start coming out to give Master Lock challenges. I hated those, they were so boring and stupid. That's if he was going to be 2006 Masters. No Master Lock Challenges from Otunga ever, please. He should just keep up the heel lawyer act, it fits him very well and he could always still be used as an authority figure. Boring ripoffs of the Master Lock Challenge would be a step backward for him in terms of quality.

It would be even worse if he was going to be 2009 Masters. That means he would begin coming out and making his chest dance. I would rather see Hornswoggle or a diva end Undertaker's streak than ever see ANYONE do chest dancing onscreen ever again. It's disturbing and I cringe just thinking about it. Those segments of Masters back then made me feel somewhat ashamed that I had watched them. Otunga does not do Master Lock Challenges and he does not make his chest dance. Therefore, he is still Otunga and not a Masters re-run. Thank goodness! He is much better off as the lawyer and I hope he never gets anywhere closer to what Chris Masters was. We do not need a re-run of either version of Chris Masters.

What do I think? Just because they have somewhat similar body builds and wear red trunks doesn't mean that David Otunga is a recycle. First, Otunga can't wrestle as good as Masters, and even Masters is stiff. Second, while Otunga flexes his muscles like Masters, which I also admit remind me a little of the latter, it doesn't mean that he's adopting the Masterpiece Gimmick; doesn't he still have his Harvard Lawyer Gimmick?

So no. WWE isn't bringing back the Masterpiece Gimmick.

You SOB you caught on to it....... The only difference between otunga and Masters was that Masters had skill and potential while otunga really sucks, I mean he is bigger then Masters was on his last run but he isn't exactly talented, I mean maybe in the court he is talented but in the ring he lacks, but that's just me I never really cared for Otunga but personally he isn't really special while I felt that Masters had more potential.

Pompous know it all smarter than you Harvard Educated lawyer who sucks up and wants power does not equate to man with great body.

Apart from similar physiques, Chris Masters and Otunga are nothing alike. The gimmicks are radically different.

And where Otunga certainly hasn't shown the in ring improvement that Masters did prior to his release, Otunga has demonstrated mic skills and charisma a million times above the Masterpiece.

It would have helped ALOT if they kept heel general managers after the administration change of 012. Otunga would have had a spot waiting for him but it was never to be. Otunga was great as a lawyer and he could get himself into a good feud with someone who has a problem with the administration.

Just a food for your thought: imagine Otunga being pushed throughout 2012 with better in ring skills. He has the gimmick of authority and if could have great in ring ability, feuding with Punk would be a good idea. It would do Otunga wonders for his career.

The reason he hasn't been pushed is because he doesn't take the role of the powerhouse - even though he look like one. Have him develop and choose and in ring style, and we have ourselves a better and more stylish Chris Masters.

Recently in the Australia tour, Otunga's come to the ring and he's had a spotlight on him with 'Chris Masters-like music' playing while he slowly poses. Everybody was saying he was a black Chris Masters, anybody that saw that show would have seen a bit of Masters in it.

So yes absolutely. Apart from the lawyer thing, they're pretty much the same.

And btw, Mason Ryan never did cocky pose offs so comparing him to those 2 is silly.

Recently in the Australia tour, Otunga's come to the ring and he's had a spotlight on him with 'Chris Masters-like music' playing while he slowly poses. Everybody was saying he was a black Chris Masters, anybody that saw that show would have seen a bit of Masters in it.

So yes absolutely. Apart from the lawyer thing, they're pretty much the same.

Someone bring out the mirrors! Time to call David Otunga, "The Narcissistic Harvard Graduate", as he poses off.

All bad jokes aside, if people want to compare him to Chris Masters, so be it. I think with someone with his build and look (body-wise), he should be showing it off. Adds to his already cocky character. At least David Otunga has the mic skills over Lex Luger, Mark Jindrak, and Chris Masters. I've forgotten who else has done this gimmick, but I think it could suit Otunga well. Might not pull it off like Lex Luger did, but he can hold his own since he has his own style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back