• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Criticizing the Best: The Undertaker

Undertaker's biggest flaw: Bringing in the supernatural element to wrestling. Nothing says "fake" more than a guy who pretends to be a demon from hell who's come to do the devil's work in professional wrestling?! The only time I ever liked the guy was during his biker days.
Seriously if you want to damage wrestling's credibility, just show a casual viewer a pre/post biker Undertaker match.
"Oh it's just a psychological attack on his opponents"
Really? Really? What about his magic lightning that shows up on the Titan Tron when he gets buried alive or put in a coffin?
Great wrestler for a big man, but one of the worst gimmicks I've ever seen.

I can't really pick too many flaws in 'Taker because the flaws I see in him as the "Deadman" are rectified when he was "The American Badass" (i.e. mic work got a tad tedious, the un-believe-ableness *lol* of his Deadman character and all).

If there is one problem now it's that his mic work does get pretty boring, a bit like Kane IMO. I'm not saying he doesn't have good lines and all, but i've seen it for a good 15+ years it's bound to get boring.

Man, I don't like the fact I am about to criticise one of the greatest performers in WWE history but here goes.

I think the only flaw Taker has is that all his feuds/promos in this incarnation of the Dead Man character are all kinda similar. There is only so far he can go in the subjects he talks about, and always ends up referring to stealing peoples souls and making them rest in piece.

In the Attitude era when he was playing a heel in the Ministry Of Darkness phase, there were some really unique, exciting things going on, such as the crucifixion of Stone Cold, the recruiting of new members for the Ministry, and the abduction of Stephanie McMahon. That sort of stuff isnt able to be done now. I much preferred Undertaker as a heel, even though he scared the shit out of me back then!

I dont agree with any criticisms of his slow paced style in the early 90s, as we have seen in recent years how fast he can still be. That slow pace was deliberate to sell the "un-dead" aspect of the Undertaker character, and must have been so frustrating for Mark Callaway to do, when he knew he could be much faster and exciting.

But all in all, Taker is a legend. He has been a great servant to the WWE for so long, and yeah he is breaking down now and will be calling it a day soon. Hopefully fairly soon as I dont want to see Undertaker as a shell of his former self...but to be honest I think he will as he is a very proud man and will not overstay his welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back