• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Criticize Your Favorite Shows

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Past or present, criticize your favorite shows, because they're not all perfect.

American Horror Story: Asylum- It started out with some promise, but eventually Asylum devolved into a convoluted mess of shit. Idiotic plot twists, desperate SHOCKING SURPRISES, and for some reason they felt the need to randomly insert necrophilia into the storylines. And aliens? Seriously? The first season was MUCH better, and I still watch certain episodes on DVD.

Six Feet Under- Nate's death. The vast majority of Six Feet Under fans were devastated and saddened by Nate's death, but for me, Nate's death was very anticlimactic.

Entourage- The final season was just horrendous, and I can't believe they're planning an Entourage movie.

Friends - I love the show and all of the characters, but their selfish attitudes are a bit of a turn off for me. I never actually realized that they had selfish attitudes until a few months ago when I read somebodies post in the 2009 WZ Sitcom Tournament. Once I read that person's post where he mentioned that, I began to notice that in the characters.

Two And A Half Men - Ever since Charlie Sheen got fired, Two And A Half Men has sucked. They have made a few decent episodes since his departure, but for the most part the show just sucks. I hate Ashton Kutcher's character, he's too childish, he's not funny and he doesn't have the same chemistry with Alan that Charlie had, and all of Walden's love interests have been dull so far, especially Zoe who was so annoying as hell. The writing on the show just isn't as good anymore, on last week's episode they had some lame musical segment which just made me want to pick up my remote and change the channel. The only reason why I still tune in is because of Alan, he's carrying the show, but once he's done I doubt I will be watching again and I think the show will be a goner too.

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air - As soon as Nia Long's character, Lisa, arrived in the fifth season, and she & Will fell in love and got together, I just couldn't get into the show as much as I use to. I dunno what it was but she always irked me for some reason, and she brought far too much drama and stopped Will being as funny. Season 5 for me was pretty boring to watch because of her and her storyline with Will. Things picked up again in Season 6 once she left. There is one episode in Season 5 which was good though and it didn't feature much of Lisa, that was the one where Will gets shot at an ATM and Carlton is traumatized by the event. That episode always gets to me and leaves me in tears at the end. It's such an emotional and heartbreaking episode, the ending is one of my saddest TV moments.

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air - As soon as Nia Long's character, Lisa, arrived in the fifth season, and she & Will fell in love and got together, I just couldn't get into the show as much as I use to. I dunno what it was but she always irked me for some reason, and she brought far too much drama and stopped Will being as funny. Season 5 for me was pretty boring to watch because of her and her storyline with Will. Things picked up again in Season 6 once she left. There is one episode in Season 5 which was good though and it didn't feature much of Lisa, that was the one where Will gets shot at an ATM and Carlton is traumatized by the event. That episode always gets to me and leaves me in tears at the end. It's such an emotional and heartbreaking episode, the ending is one of my saddest TV moments.

I never really cared for Nia Long's character, but she didn't ruin the show for me. The introduction of Lisa was just another sign of Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air becoming more serious. When they changed Vivians, and the setting of the mansion, they started producing more dramatic episodes, and Will ditched the colorful outfits. The ATM shooting is a great example of one the more memorable dramatic episodes. I'd also throw in Uncle Phil's heart attack, and Will's deadbeat dad rejecting him.

Also, and I don't know about you, but the episodes where Will and the rest of the family go into protective custody, and assume the identities of backwoods hillbillies always annoyed the shit out of me.

LOST - The show had some fantastic characters - Charlie, Hugo, Claire, Ben - but their fatal flaw was always that nobody trusted each other. How many months do you have to spend on an island together until you don't begin every sentence with "no, fuck you, I'm doing things my way!"

Smallville - God, where to start...? The fact that action scenes never delivered? How about their budget getting consistently worse every year, leading to some pretty bad CGI effects from time to time? Jimmy Olson dying? Everything that happened in that season? Bad acting? Cookie-cutter plots for every episode? Not learning to fly for 10 years? Lex Luther not being a part of the show for several years? Obviously, there's a lot of bad in this show. But for whatever reason, I loved it. Early on there's some really good stuff. I remember the first episodes Clark gets some red kryoptonite, breaks shit, makes out with some hot chicks, and then moves to Metropolis after a funeral. He was cool, for the first time. That was good television.

The Simpsons - I love the show. It'll always be considered one of my favorite shows of all time. Part nostalgia from my younger years. Part of when they were putting out good episodes, they made so many all time classics. But the show needs to die. It's running on reputation only at this point. I went out and bought the box set for the first 11 seasons the day they came out in stores. After that I just realized it wasn't very funny anymore. It used to be new and funny. Now it's just sort of a basic family show. The stories are pretty standard and boring. Seems to be pretty much just phoning it in lately.

Boy the earlier seasons are hilarious though. I think my favorite season as a whole is 3. Anyone who doesn't like 'Homer At The Bat' has no sense of humor.

The Big Bang Theory - A bunch of scientists/physicists/whatever have to rent? Get the fuck outta here. Joking there, but there are too many times when the show feels like it's pandering. Futurama provides a better example of incorporating jokes about math, science, and/or nerd culture. It's a minor complaint, but sometimes I wish they'd be a little more clever about how they incorporate such humor. The character based humor on the show is top notch, however, IMO.

The Simpsons But the show needs to die. It's running on reputation only at this point.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't followed a full season of The Simpsons in YEARS, and for me, the humor is beyond stale. Homer's antic's as a moron or Mr. Burns' act as the slimy old evildoer couldn't pull the slightest chuckle out of me anymore. I LOVED this show as a kid, and into my late teens, but I honestly can't stand it anymore.

I still check out their Halloween specials, though. The show as a whole might suck, but The Simpsons still produce some of the best Halloween episodes. The spoof of The Shining with the whole family and Willie is still a beloved favorite of mine.

How I Met Your Mother- So far they just becomed boring with some of the moments and I feel they should just end it until now. Great show, but some of the moments from the current season are unberable even though they show that they still got it. :)

South Park- Same as "HIMYM" I feel that Matt and Trey lost a bit. I could of laugh in every episodes of previous seasons but some episodes from last one are not even funny at all to me.

Supernatural- Explained that one on their thread, show would be perfect if they just end it with season 5.

Game of Thrones- As a fan of books, cant unnotice that some of the things from the same just got altered in the show. And some of it are not small things. Still my favorite show though. :)

Friends - I love the show and all of the characters, but their selfish attitudes are a bit of a turn off for me. I never actually realized that they had selfish attitudes until a few months ago when I read somebodies post in the 2009 WZ Sitcom Tournament. Once I read that person's post where he mentioned that, I began to notice that in the characters.

I blame Friends for the sad state of sitcoms today. Mainly in character development and writing. The only 2 characters that had an arc were Chandler and Rachel. The rest...horrible. And the writing was atrocious.

The Big Bang Theory is the same way. Six seasons, and the only character that has had great development and writing is Howard. Amy has had good character development but she's only been there for about 2 seasons. The rest are essentially the same characters from when they started and are annoying at that. Seriously Leonard, you dated a hot blonde, then a hot exotic girl, yet you still act like a pathetic loser who can't get girls?

The Simpsons - I love the show. It'll always be considered one of my favorite shows of all time. Part nostalgia from my younger years. Part of when they were putting out good episodes, they made so many all time classics. But the show needs to die. It's running on reputation only at this point. I went out and bought the box set for the first 11 seasons the day they came out in stores. After that I just realized it wasn't very funny anymore. It used to be new and funny. Now it's just sort of a basic family show. The stories are pretty standard and boring. Seems to be pretty much just phoning it in lately.

Boy the earlier seasons are hilarious though. I think my favorite season as a whole is 3. Anyone who doesn't like 'Homer At The Bat' has no sense of humor.

I have seasons 1-10 on DVD. Every now and then I put them on and to this day still laugh my head off. You're right thought, it does need to end now.

As far as my show; The Sopranos: I love the Sopranos. It is one of the greatest series of all time; but season 3 is atrocious. The storylines are lame, we get Jackie Aprile Jr. who had zero personality, Noah Tannenbaum who said that Tony Soprano was lucky he didn't get his ass kicked by him, Meadow being bitchy and moody, Christopher is not shown as much, but one of the worst things, Furio, the awesome Italian character who has a great debut on TV, is barely used during the entire season.

Also, University is one of the worst episodes they made. The strange thing is that even with all that awful, it does have the best Sopranos episode ever; "Pine Barrens".

Reactions: TLC
The Walking Dead. Oh boy where to begin. There will be spoilers so I apologize in advance.

I've watched the first season over many times and I still have no idea what on Earth was going on in those final two episodes. I enjoyed that they explored a new root to the comics and would have preferred the show to continue doing that rather than follow what is essentially the exact storyline with major differences, but the zombie survival show turned really sci-fi really fast. Pretty questionable decision. It was cool though so whatever, I can suspend my disbelief to have fun.

The second season had the problem of not a lot happening. For one, they were on the farm the entire bloody time and nothing really happened while they were on there. It was great for character development, I guess? But there were only four key things that happened.

Sophia's disappearance which they dragged for eight episodes, Carl getting shot/Shane betraying Otis, Rick/Hershell/Glenn getting caught in a rock and a hard place and getting a hostage who they can't trust and the general love triangle between Rick/Shane/Lori.

That's pretty fine on paper I say, but it was just so padded out with nothingness in between. I'm sure T-Dog arguing with Lori over who ate the last muffin [oh and there's also zombies] would be excellent television for some people. But for me, I feel like they could have cut half of the season out and it would have been just as good, if not better. The season finale was awesome though.

Worth noting is it started a bad habit in that they have. Introducing a ton of new characters, giving them no build and then killing them off randomly and expecting us to care about them.
Jimmy is a prime example here. He was introduced, didn't appear for five episodes, asked to help out, disappeared for the rest of the season and got a heroic death on the season finale. Yay? I watched through the entire series so far with six others and I was the only one who knew he was. I'm not saying everybody has to be main cast member. But why am I meant to care for Patricia's (that's Otis' wife, by the way) tragic death when all she did nothing all season?

Now we're into Season 3 which is easily the best season so far but it has a number of problems existing. Easily the biggest one is the character issue I touched up on. People getting introduced and killed off instantly before they get anything.

The inmates are the best example here, they're all gone now and the only one who got development was Axel, and it took his death episode to get that. I'd have loved more of all of them really, especially Tomas and Oscar! The other prime offenders are all of the Woodbury people who aren't The Governor and Milton. I loved Martinez in the comics and I only just now found out he was actually in the show. Up to this point I just called him Teddy Hart cause I thought he was a nameless rank and file soldier who looked like him!

Oh and they should never have killed T-Dog. T-Dog was great.

That said the main cast character development has been way better. Up to this season it was Rick was good cop, Shane was bad cop, Dale was the only sane person of the lot and there was a few other people in between them. Apparently killing off Shane and Dale was the best thing the show did, much as I loved both of them.

I love Walking Dead though. For all of the points I hate on it for, I love more points to it. But this is a criticize your favourite shows thread so there you go.

Smallville - God, where to start...? The fact that action scenes never delivered? How about their budget getting consistently worse every year, leading to some pretty bad CGI effects from time to time? Jimmy Olson dying? Everything that happened in that season? Bad acting? Cookie-cutter plots for every episode? Not learning to fly for 10 years? Lex Luther not being a part of the show for several years? Obviously, there's a lot of bad in this show. But for whatever reason, I loved it. Early on there's some really good stuff. I remember the first episodes Clark gets some red kryoptonite, breaks shit, makes out with some hot chicks, and then moves to Metropolis after a funeral. He was cool, for the first time. That was good television.

The show jumped the shark when they graduated high school. I enjoyed the way college turned out to be an inconvenience to Clark, Lana & Chloe; the two girls enrolled but their academic efforts were aborted as they became too busy with their crime-fighting lives to bother with trivialities like school. Clark was set to go but never did. So much for higher education.

But their high school days tied the series to it's greatest strength; the interactions of the main characters. When they dealt with each other on a personal level, I couldn't do without Smallville. The show started going downhill when they became espionage agents, fighting evil plots that sprung from the minds of diabolical villains. Even though Clark Kent was a supernatural being, Smallville didn't start out as a science fiction series. The show eventually got so far away from the Clark-Lana-Chloe triangle that I stopped tuning my TV to that channel on that night.

Today, the only series I really follow is True Blood. As with all continuing storylines, once you get involved with the characters, you can get hooked, as I have. Even after five seasons, they never stand in one place long enough to let the action subside. Plus, it's convenient to have Comcast's OnDemand feature, which allows us to not have to tune in at a specific time once a week.

But Sookie, Bill and Eric are such compelling characters that the only way I abandon this series is when it ends its run.

The show jumped the shark when they graduated high school. I enjoyed the way college turned out to be an inconvenience to Clark, Lana & Chloe; the two girls enrolled but their academic efforts were aborted as they became too busy with their crime-fighting lives to bother with trivialities like school. Clark was set to go but never did. So much for higher education.

But their high school days tied the series to it's greatest strength; the interactions of the main characters. When they dealt with each other on a personal level, I couldn't do without Smallville. The show started going downhill when they became espionage agents, fighting evil plots that sprung from the minds of diabolical villains. Even though Clark Kent was a supernatural being, Smallville didn't start out as a science fiction series. The show eventually got so far away from the Clark-Lana-Chloe triangle that I stopped tuning my TV to that channel on that night.

For what it's worth, I really liked Erica Durance as Lois Lane. The first few seasons and the drama between Clark and Lana was almost always good, but eventually you knew it had to end. Clark and Lana just aren't the way the story is supposed to go... Lois was a great way to freshen things up, and I really enjoyed her character. Plus, Lana just got to the point where everything she said was super dramatic; I was honestly glad to see her go when she finally did. There were some really bad seasons when they first got into the wanna-be Justice League arcs. I liked Oliver Queen (aka Green Arrow), but the rest of the League never really got fully developed; I never cared about anybody but Clark and Oliver. My favorite characters were always the Luthers, and when they got taken out of the equation I just had very little interest. THe final season, in my opinion, was really freaking good. Also, Spike as Brainiac was amazing! :)

The Walking Dead. Oh boy where to begin. There will be spoilers so I apologize in advance.

I've watched the first season over many times and I still have no idea what on Earth was going on in those final two episodes. I enjoyed that they explored a new root to the comics and would have preferred the show to continue doing that rather than follow what is essentially the exact storyline with major differences, but the zombie survival show turned really sci-fi really fast. Pretty questionable decision. It was cool though so whatever, I can suspend my disbelief to have fun.

The second season had the problem of not a lot happening. For one, they were on the farm the entire bloody time and nothing really happened while they were on there. It was great for character development, I guess? But there were only four key things that happened.

Sophia's disappearance which they dragged for eight episodes, Carl getting shot/Shane betraying Otis, Rick/Hershell/Glenn getting caught in a rock and a hard place and getting a hostage who they can't trust and the general love triangle between Rick/Shane/Lori.

That's pretty fine on paper I say, but it was just so padded out with nothingness in between. I'm sure T-Dog arguing with Lori over who ate the last muffin [oh and there's also zombies] would be excellent television for some people. But for me, I feel like they could have cut half of the season out and it would have been just as good, if not better. The season finale was awesome though.

Worth noting is it started a bad habit in that they have. Introducing a ton of new characters, giving them no build and then killing them off randomly and expecting us to care about them.
Jimmy is a prime example here. He was introduced, didn't appear for five episodes, asked to help out, disappeared for the rest of the season and got a heroic death on the season finale. Yay? I watched through the entire series so far with six others and I was the only one who knew he was. I'm not saying everybody has to be main cast member. But why am I meant to care for Patricia's (that's Otis' wife, by the way) tragic death when all she did nothing all season?

Now we're into Season 3 which is easily the best season so far but it has a number of problems existing. Easily the biggest one is the character issue I touched up on. People getting introduced and killed off instantly before they get anything.

The inmates are the best example here, they're all gone now and the only one who got development was Axel, and it took his death episode to get that. I'd have loved more of all of them really, especially Tomas and Oscar! The other prime offenders are all of the Woodbury people who aren't The Governor and Milton. I loved Martinez in the comics and I only just now found out he was actually in the show. Up to this point I just called him Teddy Hart cause I thought he was a nameless rank and file soldier who looked like him!

Oh and they should never have killed T-Dog. T-Dog was great.

That said the main cast character development has been way better. Up to this season it was Rick was good cop, Shane was bad cop, Dale was the only sane person of the lot and there was a few other people in between them. Apparently killing off Shane and Dale was the best thing the show did, much as I loved both of them.

I love Walking Dead though. For all of the points I hate on it for, I love more points to it. But this is a criticize your favourite shows thread so there you go.

I'm really starting to lose interest in The Walking Dead. I finally caught up on DVD with season 2 a few months ago, and recently I caught up on some missed episodes for season 3 during AMCs replay of the first half. And well, this season is very underwhelming for me. I'll admit Laurie's death was a gut-wrenching moment, and Rick's devastated reaction was just perfect. But everything else feels really dull. The reunion of Merle and Darryl added a good spark to the storylines, and the last second rescue from the bros. on last week's episode was a good surprise

All in all, I just can't get into this season, and IMO, The Walking Dead plateaued last season. Yeah, I don't have the knowledge of the comic books, so maybe they'll surprise me with more unique plot twists and new characters, but I'm not liking what I see now. Plus, this supernatural "from beyond the grave" bullshit with Rick is driving me nuts.

I blame Friends for the sad state of sitcoms today. Mainly in character development and writing. The only 2 characters that had an arc were Chandler and Rachel. The rest...horrible. And the writing was atrocious.

I can't watch Friends, the writing (and acting) just makes me cringe.

But yeah, Weeds is far from my favorite series but I used to love it, I think the first season, maybe second one. I don't know what happened, last I remembered she was dating the Mexican drug lord that became Dexter's friend for a while and I just lost interest. I think it turned too much into into a soap opera.

BUT! LET ME ACTUALLY DO WHAT THE THREAD TITLE SAYS
Which is hard for me, because as I said in another post, I don't really think of things in term of "good" or "bad", because someone's horrible is another person's AMAZING. That being said, let's see what I can come up with.

Dexter: Love it, love how they pulled off the transition from the books into TV. I wish it could go on forever. I guess my criticisms would be eh...

Laguerta's death. I couldn't STAND her and wanted her dead MUCH, MUCH sooner. Then again I absolutely LOVE how it happened. Also, wish they'd explore Debra's thing for Dexter more. I guess I understand some people not liking it, but mean come on, you're watching a dude run around shoving a knife into people for Christ's sake! Wait, that really needed a comma. ANYWAY, yeah, I found it interesting, but then again, with all the stuff that happened I completely understand how it got buried under more... pressing matters.

Man, I kinda suck at this xD

EDIT: I just remembered!

SCRUBS! I used to love the show, but his main takeaways from the episode got REAAAAAAALLY repetitive to the point that I wasn't sure whether or not I'd already seen an episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back