• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Create Your Own Dream Festival

Barbedwire Ropes

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
Hello everyone, Barbedwire Ropes here again with another either bang or bust thread idea!

So, we all know about these epic festivals that take place across Europe every summer and suffice to say they make me extremely jealous. There is Wacken Open Air, Graspop Metal Meeting, France's Hellfest, Download Festival...I could go on for hours if I really wanted to! Sadly though, we do not get these types of festivals here in North America. Sure, one could agrue that we do have Ozzfest, Rockstar Energy Tour and Mayhem Fest but all three of them combined dont even come close to the level of quality presented at the huge European festivals so dont even bother trying.

The idea behind this thread is to give you the chance to create your own one day festival. The genre doesnt matter, Im just curiuos to see what everyone would come up with.

Festivals are usally layed out like this:

MAIN EVENT BAND/ARTIST
The biggest ticket draw of the night. Plays last.
DIRECT SUPPORT BANDS/ARTISTS(x2)
These are the bands that have big enough names to still draw a significant crowd but are not headliners.
ESTABLISHED ACTS(x5)
Bands that are known in their genre but have yet to gain a large crowd following.
OPENING ACTS(x2)
These are bands that have yet to develop any sort of international fan base are are usually newly signed.

Using the above layout, create your own festival and be creative. Give it a name, a location and a venue. Be creative and lets see what all of you posters come up with!

My festival would be simply called the "Vancouver Metal Fest" and I would have it take place in my home city of Vancouver, Canada and to give it that Euro feel I'd have it take place at the open air UBC Thunderbird Arena.

MAIN EVENT BAND/ARTIST
METALLICA
For the first year of the festival I would have to go with a band that is an international draw that could bring in massive crowds, yet one that has a great reputation for their live show quality. Therfore, Metallica are the perfect fit.

OPETH
These guys are really starting to make it big in both prog and metal and are known around the world. They would be a great name to fit right beneath the Metallica logo on the poster.
DREAM THEATER
These guys are intense live with their amazing musicianship and thier heavier material would connect well with the general Metallica fan but at the same time they could offer a bit of a breather with their slower stuff as well.

ESTABLISHED ACTS(x5)
HIGH ON FIRE
Matt Pike is a guitar good and High on Fire have some of the best mosh pits around. They would really get the corwd moving!
3 INCHES OF BLOOD
A local band from here in Vancouver but they are known all over the world and have also opened for the almighty Iron Maiden.
DARK TRANQUILLITY
These guys have been touring for decades but still have not broken into the mainstream, which is actually a great thing because they have a small yet dedicated fan base and they have put out some of greatest metal records of all time.
THE SWORD
Having recently seen these guys open for Metallica on the Death Magnetic tour I know they really cut it on the big stage. Also, their "Gods of the Earth" album is classic!
CATTLE DECAPITATION
One of the most technically gifted bands in Grind/Death today. Would be the heaviest band on the bill by far.

OPENING ACTS(x2)
SIGH
Sigh have been at it for years and years nowe but are still completely unknown. Blending harsh black metal with epic classical orchestrations they have a great and unique live show and this would be a great outlet for them to showcase their skills.
BISON B.C.
Another local band from Vancouver that is just starting to make waves in the metal scene. Having recently signed with Metal Blade Records and touring with the likes of Baroness and The Ocean they are an up and coming force NOT to be reckoned with.

Nice topic although its damn hard to chose a line up. I suppose I would probally go with an Indie/Rock/Grime theme. Yeah basically anything. I suppose it would be a little like Reading. Anyways....

MAIN EVENT BAND/ARTIST
Muse - This really tore me because they ARE NOT my favourite band. However they sell out tickets all around the world and have filled out Wembley Stadium. There stage pressence and preformance is also second to none. I do love this band and could happily sing along to any of there songs late on a warm drunken summers night. Bit Gutted i had to put my personal faves in the direct support slot though!

Arctic Monkeys - These guys are awesome. Amazing lyrics and very meaningful if you can realte to them. Added to the fact that most people know the words and rifts to all there biggest songs then they would make for a great festival band.

Foo Fighters- Another band that could have easily gone into the Headline slot. They bring pure energy and raw emotion to the stage and can rock out to a thumping track such as Best of You or slow it down and preform a simply beautiful version of Everlong. Brilliant.

ESTABLISHED ACTS(x5)
Vampire Weekend - I dont know how big these guys are in the States, but over here and with the release of their second album they seem ready to become the next great Indie/Pop/Dance band. Great tunes like A-Punk which everybody could get down to and also apparently very very good live.

Dizzee Rascal - Pretty sure he hasnt done much in the USA yet but over here hes had plenty of number ones. Although primarily a grime artist he has topped the charts with softer more dance/pop orientated tracks such as Dance with me, But could still go more street and if he had a live band such as The King Blues backing him up when he decided to do Bonkers it would be a sure fire hit for a more indie based festival.

Florence and the Machine - Such a powerful voice and her tracks are the sort to just build up and then let rip. Also her album has preformed very well in the charts and im sure she would go down a storm here.

New Found Glory - As far as I know there not huge in the UK. However there energetic Punk Pop Rock is catchy and they know how to play a set. I would give them the chance here.

Paolo Nutini - Awsome voice and can get the crowd going with faster tracks such as New Shoes, Very uplifitng but then bring us crashing down to earth with Last Request as his strong unique voice shines through over the Piano.

OPENING ACTS(x2)
Marina and the Diamonds - Very Different, and just about to release there 1st album in the UK. A very unique sound to them kinda 80ish and a female lead brings a whole new style to what may have been done before.

Wretch 32 - A Grime artist that you can actually understand. Dosent rap stupidly fast and has surprisingly deep lyrics and content. Street talk done in a kind of diffrent way to everyone else and has yet to release a mainstream album to my knowledge.

Well,that was a lot harder then expected nice topic but damn you for not just letting me list my dream bands and giving me boundaries!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back