• Golddust / Marlena

• Billy / Chuck

• Mark Henry / Mae Young

• Edge / Lita

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Randy Savage / Miss Elizabeth

Their SummerSlam reunion and eventual "Match Made in Heaven" marriage was a tearjerker of a moment for many fans, and was extra-interesting since they also married in real life.

Shawn Michaels / Sensational Sherri

HBK and his new manager, Sherri, took the WWF by storm in the early 1990's until Shawn used her to take a mirror shot from Marty Jannetty prior to the Royal Rumble.

Davey Boy Smith and Diana Hart

A sweet embrace after Davey's SummerSlam victory, and later a bitter couple united against Diana's brother Bret Hart.

Triple H and Stephanie McMahon

This marriage changed the face of wrestling, and forever saddled Hunter with the bias that his success is a result of his marriage to her, they took it to a storyline at the turn of the Millenium with "The McMahon / Helmsley Era."

Eddie Guerrero and Chyna

Chyna turned heel against Chris Jericho, helping Eddie win the IC Title, but the couple was so loveable (and believable) that fans embraced them. Their backstage fights in 1999/2000 were so well done, I honestly thought he was going to hit her.

Matt Hardy and Lita

Another real life couple with a couple angle, this twosome seemed to work really well, and spawned the Matt / Kane feud, and later the real life Matt / Edge feud was brought into play.

Golddust and Marlena

The WWF's "odd couple," these two were major factors in the development of the "Attitude Era" with their envelope pushing and over the top personas. Also a real life married couple with an angle to match.

Billy and Chuck

Because "you look SO good to me..." the first quasi-successful gay couple storyline in wrestling (apologies to Lenny and Lodi), they were so cute together, you almost had to believe it.

Mark Henry / Mae Young

What a combo. She wore out "sexual chocolate" long enough for him to put a hand-shaped bun in her oven, which she was only pregnant with for a month or two. So odd.

Edge and Lita

So hard to make a choice here for the 10th and final nomination, but Lita gets her 2nd nomination (just edging out Jarret and Debra and Edge and Guerrero), thanks only to the existance of real life heat and a live sex celebration which included a boob shot.

You're really making me appreciate Miss Elizabeth here, Irish.

Their wedding was really the first time anything like that had been done, and, as you said, a real tearjerker for many fans. Which shows you exactly how much she made people care. The audience loved them as a couple, and they were involved in so many great moments.

But I can't vote against Eddie and Chyna here. I absolutely loved their storyline, and they were so good at making it work. I always remember Chyna being in the ring, and the titatron cutting to a shot of Eddie in the Shower the The Ho's. Chyna was heartbroken, and so were many fans. I know I was. It's ironic because they made things seem more real than real-life couple Stephanie and Triple H. The McMahon/Helmsley era was too 'storyline' for me. Eddie and Chyna made it work.

No couple tops Randy Savage and Miss Elisabeth. They were and are the premiere couple in wrestling lore. There was never really an angle like this before, and there hasn't been one done as well since. The longevity of the pairing gives it a plus too. They were together on television for years, something which very rarely happens. So many other classic couples are inspired by the Savage/Elisabeth pairing. In fact, the mere existence of most of those other options are due in part to the overwhelmingly successful First Couple of Wrestling.

I'm going to go a different route and say that it's HHH and Stephanie. The way that these two were established as a couple was simply amazing and is still fairly shocking today. They had the power and they had the gold. Due to their real life relationship there is a natural chemistry there that is only matched by Macho and Liz.

Macho and Liz are indeed great, but to me they're overshaddowed one too many times by Hogan. At the time, Hulk Hogan was our hero. Since most of us were kids at the tiem, or in my case an infant that watched this a few years later, I didn't want to see Hulk fighting over an eeeeewwwwwwwww girl.

Went with Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth. Those two just embodied perfection. As a fan, you just thought they were flawless. I never felt that for any other couple in pro wrestling.

Liz was probably my first crush ever in life, and Savage was my favorite wrestler in the WWF when I first started watching the sport around the build-up to Wrestlemania 4. Those two played a huge part in me becoming and staying a fan of this awesome business.

Also, come on... what couple has better moments then these two? You have Wrestlemania 4… one of the most beautiful moments in wrestling history with Savage holding the WWF Title on one shoulder and carrying Miss Liz on the other while she’s in genuine tears, overjoyed for her man. Then after that they were the focal point in one of the best storylines in WWF history with the whole Mega Powers deal. Then of course… they had the wonderful moment at Wrestlemania 7 after Savage lost to Warrior. And then they had the first wedding in WWF history. A wedding, I might add, that played a huge part in one of the coolest angles in pro wrestling history when Jake Roberts' cobra bit Savage on the arm.

How anyone could ever vote for any couple other then Savage and Liz blows my mind.

Its really not even close. HAS to be Macho and Liz. from phsyco stalker boyfriend, to the support in defeat, to the wedding, through all of the years, changes, angles, title regihns, it was them, throguh and through. Steph-Trips MAY have been better, in reality, but the fondness everyone has for the Macho-Liz thing for SO many years, was what is was all about. Its hard to encompass it. Im sure Shocky can do a better job.

Ugh.

On one hand, you've got Macho/Elizabeth, which sort of started it all in a sense.

On the other hand, you've got HHH/Steph, which...well, you know.

I'm inclined to vote for the latter, despite my feelings on the subject lol, but I'm not completely convinced yet. Nor am I 100% sold on Savage and Elizabeth.

Someone needs to convince me one way or the other before I vote.

Randy Savage and Liz was a story in the background for nearly a decade. This story split the mega powers, led to Randy Savage's title runs, caused the Ultimate Warrior to talk to his hands, and put the Undertaker over as the bastardest of the bastard heels in the 90's.

HHH and Steph has been in your face on screen and annoying as hell offscreen. It has led to numerous guys being buried and HHH having 12 world title reigns. Five more, and he will have more than Ric Flair. Believe me, this will happen, and WWE's revisionist history propaganda campaign will make HHH out to be the greatest of all time. I respect HHH, I like HHH, but the idea of his being on top of THAT list irks me. He has carried the company because they won't let anyone else try (until recently, Cena, only because HHH is getting old).

I voted Savage/Liz because the story was more effective as a part of so many stories over time, instead of being THE story for years. The end of the attitude era is defined my McMahon/Helmsley, and the product lost steam during this time, while Macho/Liz was used as a precursor to something amazing happening time and again.

Without Macho and Elizabeth, the couple angle would never have taken off as well as it did. They showed that a couple in wrestling could lend itself to any number of storylines, and I don't think there's any doubt that without the chemistry they had, neither member of the couple would have been as successful, because they gave each other something extra.

HHH/Stephanie... it was a good storyline that led to the real life wedding. I think they make second place because they were so dominant together and played off each other perfectly.

Beyond those two pairs and Eddie/Chyna, just for believeabilty and entertainment, none of the others come close to the crown. Savage and Liz have it

Aren't couples supposed to help eachother? I wouldn't dare say that Liz didn't help Savage out, or the other way round. But I still think that Randy would have had just as successful career without her.

If I'm going to pick one it would have to be because the famale made the male better. While I think that Shawn Michaels really needs to thank Sherri Martel in his Hall Of Fame acceptance speech, I'd have to go for Eddie & Chyna.

The Radicalz were over. But it was clear from the star that it was Benoit who was supposed to be the star. How else do you explain Eddie being put with Chyna in the first place. That wouldn't have happened if they wanted him to be taken seriously. In 2000, would anybody have seen Eddie becoming a future world champion? I doubt it. But with Chyna he devoloped a winning personality. One that he was still using 5 years later. Without her he probably wouldn't have even been bought back in 2002.

Im gonna go with Liz and Randy too. They were one of the first if not the first real couple in WWF, if they werent the first one they definitely were the ones that really got the ball rolling as far as couples are concerned. Their relationship was also the focal point of one of the biggest feuds of all time which was of course Hogan and Savage. She also played a huge part in the Savage Flair feud as well. Basically she was heavily involved in Savage's feuds for over half a decade. All you have to do is watch WM7 to see just how into their relationship everybody was, people were actually crying in the crowd when Liz came down to make the save on Savage and they got back together that night. Do you think people would ever get that into it for any other couple? I dont think so. I must say though I did mark out big time anytime I saw Billy and Chuck so it was hard not to vote for them. They were freakin hilarious.

Yeah Only one answer here. HHH and Steph, cos you know with out that happening he wouldnt be a multiple time Champion.....Jokes.

Nah It would have to be Edge and Lita. With the real life emotional story going on behind the scenes, this would have to be the most realistic fued. with those you could tell it was real. She was never afraid to attack the guys to help him win the championship. and when they was both champions was fucking awesome.

Edge / Lita FTW.

I'll give a mention to Chyna & Eddie here. Not that they should win, but they were unbelieveable. The chemistry between these two was amazing, and the work they did together really was very entertaining. From Chyna in Playboy and Eddie being jelous, to just about everything.. it was just amazing. It really brought out the best of Eddie, and a side of Chyna that probably wasn't seen before.

Gonna have to go with Edge and Lita. The minute you found out the reason their relationship came to be, you either loved them or hated them. No in between, no indecision. They were generating REAL heat... The kind you only see when Vickie Guerrero opens her face...And they LOVED it.

At this moment, Savage and Liz have twice as many votes as all of the rest of the couples combined. 22-11.

That surprises me.

I really feel many fans forget just how well Eddie and Chyna worked together. The chemistry was terrific. And it was another case of the synergy and charisma between the two being so strong that the fans partially mandated the face turn.

Edge and Lita was terrific, because Lita legitimized Edge's quest to become the #1 heel. Usually, the wrestler with the hot girl gets over because of the hot girl, and then the hot girl goes face because, well, she's hot. But Lita was already established and over, and when the real life scandal hit, she was nuclear, and Edge played off of her perfectly.

HHH and Stephanie have inexorably linked themselves with the late 90's and early 00's forever, and even beyond, since so many "smart" fans insist that Steph is the only reason for the success of one of the best pro wrestlers of the last 15 years. Regardless, HHH's dominance in 1999 - 2002, including his title retention at Wrestlemania 2000, worked so well with Stephanie at his side. THAT was heel heat, man. And he did this all while working against such legends as The Rock, Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker, and Steve Austin.

No votes for Golddust and Marlena? The couple that served to truly push the over-the-top Attitude Era Envelope? No respect...

Savage and Liz were legit, they were cute, they made sense, they were real life - but were they anything special in the storylines?

Damn right they were. Liz's involvement with Savage launched two of the greatest Wrestlemania Main Events of all time - Savage vs Hogan at WM5 and Savage vs Flair at WM8. She didn't HAVE to do much. Fans respected her, and her innocence and sanctity was enough to get her over.

Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth paved the way for couples in wrestling, and really called for a lot of excellent storylines and matches. I enjoyed watching them, but for me, Miss Elizabeth isn't all too great. But they still get the win here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back