Could the "RABBID WOLVERINE" Chris Benoit survive in the new PG WWE ERA?

dwith

Pre-Show Stalwart
I know the mentality of Chris Benoit was balls out unadulterated vicious wrestling. Even back before the days of WCW when he was apart of NWA, it was the same thing. His whole carreer he had lived by the RABBID WOLVERINE persona.

I would like to know your thought's on whether he would have changed his whole wrestling life's ideal, to a very tame PG world the WWE is currently in now? Could he have done it successfully at that, or would he have eventually been released for breaking the PG rules to often, and handed his walking paper's, or do you think he might have just left WWE. Possibly defecting to TNA, where he could continue to do what he was awesome at doing.

I know the mentality of Chris Benoit was balls out unadulterated vicious wrestling. Even back before the days of WCW when he was apart of NWA, it was the same thing. His whole carreer he had lived by the RABBID WOLVERINE persona.

I would like to know your thought's on whether he would have changed his whole wrestling life's ideal, to a very tame PG world the WWE is currently in now? Could he have done it successfully at that, or would he have eventually been released for breaking the PG rules to often, and handed his walking paper's, or do you think he might have just left WWE. Possibly defecting to TNA, where he could continue to do what he was awesome at doing.

Ok I'm not one to really tell someone off but ,

are you serious? Lets look at one character who is still around in the pg era with the attitude was still going on. Do you know who it is? Let me tell ya. EDGE.
Besides what was so attitude about his character anyway? All they did was call him a "rabid wolverine" and it was a pg character still. I have no idea what your thinking and your lucky im not calling the stp on you.
If he was still around he would still be in the wwe because this was his dream company and he loved it and its too bad he did what he did but I still think he would have been in the wwe.

Really this comes down to the fact that there where alot of other characters this you should really question that would make it in the pg era and not Benoit's.
I think the only reason you made this topic with Benoit is because of his history.
If you want a serious discussion I would of brought up would stone cold or the rock character. But Rabid Wolverine would have been fine. If you can have triple h braking into randy Orton house in a pg era show then im sure this character would have been fine as well.

What is with this sick obsession for people starting Chris Benoit topics? I hardly ever see an Eddie Guerrero topic. But he didn't kill anyone. To me, it feels like people go out of their way on here to praise Chris Benoit just so they can say "To me, I will always remember him for his wrestling." All of you people who still obsess about Chris Benoit are just like the people who obsess about Charles Manson. It is not normal to have those feelings about murderers. If you like Chris Benoit, shame on you.

are you serious? Lets look at one character who is still around in the pg era with the attitude was still going on. Do you know who it is? Let me tell ya. EDGE.
Besides what was so attitude about his character anyway? All they did was call him a "rabid wolverine" and it was a pg character still. I have no idea what your thinking and your lucky im not calling the stp on you.
If he was still around he would still be in the wwe because this was his dream company and he loved it and its too bad he did what he did but I still think he would have been in the wwe.

Really this comes down to the fact that there where alot of other characters this you should really question that would make it in the pg era and not Benoit's.
I think the only reason you made this topic with Benoit is because of his history.
If you want a serious discussion I would of brought up would stone cold or the rock character. But Rabid Wolverine would have been fine. If you can have triple h braking into randy Orton house in a pg era show then im sure this character would have been fine as well.

With all do respect WWE was not in full PG effect when HHH broke into Orton's house. And I did not make this thread because of what happened with Chris Benoit, and his family. Chris Benoit was a very intense wrestler, and was known since the 80's of his RABBID and intense wrestling. Whether it was a persona he put on for tv, or that's what he really was like in the ring for whatever reason . Besides STONECOLD STEVE AUSTIN was quoted as sayin "My character the rattlesnake doesn't fit today's PG era" and he basically turned down a couple of WWE's offer's to guest host RAW. So that's why I came up with Chris Benoit post, because some people don't want to change...I think BENOIT wouldn't have wanted his whole carreer watered down in the end, just to make some money.

By the way, EDGE regardless if he has won titles recently or not, has not really been a very good rated r super star since pg era, and it's kind of rediculous to actually still call himself that in a pg world..

I'm usually with you on this but some things are just too stupid to ignore.

Why the hell would Chris Benoit not fit in the PG era? Because he was aggressive in the ring? It's still professional wrestling. There was nothing about his character that was designed only for the attitude era. I am so damn sick of people misunderstanding PG. Just because the product is PG does not mean it's only intended for 5 year olds!!! This is not Barney or Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. It's ok for a wrestler to be aggressive. Benoit did not swear or have any kind of sexual gimmick. He would have done just fine in PG. In fact he probably would fit better in PG than in attitude.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for responding to such stupidity, but the Bears just lost to the Packers so my anger is directed here for the time being.

What is with this sick obsession for people starting Chris Benoit topics? I hardly ever see an Eddie Guerrero topic. But he didn't kill anyone. To me, it feels like people go out of their way on here to praise Chris Benoit just so they can say "To me, I will always remember him for his wrestling." All of you people who still obsess about Chris Benoit are just like the people who obsess about Charles Manson. It is not normal to have those feelings about murderers. If you like Chris Benoit, shame on you.

I don't know why you think I am obsessing over BENOIT, i have never made one post about him or what happened to him, and regardless of what he did, or didn't do he still gave 25 years of his heart to wrestling and wrestling fan's all over the world, and still deserves respect for what he did before the tragedy. Benoit like so many other's was drugged up on steroids, and he was more than likely a addict. You can't erase his whole carrer as a phenominal wrestler for a tragedy, that I am 100% sure in my heart of hearts that he did not plan out. It's not liek he killed his family and ran. When he realized what happened he killed himself out of sheer guilt. No one can prove what ever happened. I like to believe he was a good person witha bad happened, and it's very unfortunate for everyone involved, but regardless of the end he still had a beginning and a middle to his life.

So I don't know who pissed in your cheerio's but his topic has nothing to do with the tragedy so why don't you quit bringing it up..

Also just because VINCE MCMAHON want's to erase Chris Benoit and the tragedy away from his mind, and the bad publicity for his company doesn't make BENOITS carreer any less stellar for wrestling fan's that loved his abilities.

I also couldn't help myself and ask the question? Do people like to start threads just to start threads......

Benoit wrestled many years before the attitude era...... He was a wrestler plain and simple the only thing that changed betweened the PG and attitude era was storylines, and how violent a match is to get.

I'm usually with you on this but some things are just too stupid to ignore.

Why the hell would Chris Benoit not fit in the PG era? Because he was aggressive in the ring? It's still professional wrestling. There was nothing about his character that was designed only for the attitude era. I am so damn sick of people misunderstanding PG. Just because the product is PG does not mean it's only intended for 5 year olds!!! This is not Barney or Mr. Rogers's Neighborhood. It's ok for a wrestler to be aggressive. Benoit did not swear or have any kind of sexual gimmick. He would have done just fine in PG. In fact he probably would fit better in PG than in attitude.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for responding to such stupidity, but the Bears just lost to the Packers so my anger is directed here for the time being.

Could you see RIC FLAIR in the PG era right now?I I don't think soo. He wouldn't water himself down like that.
If you ever really paid attention to BENOIT when he wrestled he was a mean looking son of a bitch. He was nasty, and very raw in his emotion's. I don't think you watched enough of BENOIT'S matches to know that he was seriously nasty when he wrestled.

Why do you think WWE probably got rid of UMAGA? He would really fit a PG...
same with MIKE KNOX.. don't think he could fit PG.
GENE SNITSKY...another they released.. not a good role model for PG.
These guy's were just a couple since PG began, and they were all apart of the attitude era, and ECW. They don't fit PG look. So now me have to look at the pathetic MIZ, and his side kick, and all these pretty boy's that totally suck, and couldn't have been anything in attitude ERA because they would have been at the very bottom of the barrell because people like HHH,BENOIT,EVIL KANE, ROCK, STONECOLD STEVE AUSTIN, MANKIND, UNDERTAKER, and even SHANE MCMAHON, and VINCE MCMAHON were all bad asses and kicking ass, and taking names. I would almost bet that is why SHANE left the company after the PG era because he felt it was going in the wrong direction.

Could you see RIC FLAIR in the PG era right now?I I don't think soo. He wouldn't water himself down like that.
If you ever really paid attention to BENOIT when he wrestled he was a mean looking son of a bitch. He was nasty, and very raw in his emotion's. I don't think you watched enough of BENOIT'S matches to know that he was seriously nasty when he wrestled.

These guy's were just a couple since PG began, and they were all apart of the attitude era, and ECW. They don't fit PG look. So now me have to look at the pathetic MIZ, and his side kick, and all these pretty boy's that totally suck, and couldn't have been anything in attitude ERA because they would have been at the very bottom of the barrell because people like HHH,BENOIT,EVIL KANE, ROCK, STONECOLD STEVE AUSTIN, MANKIND, UNDERTAKER, and even SHANE MCMAHON, and VINCE MCMAHON were all bad asses and kicking ass, and taking names. I would almost bet that is why SHANE left the company after the PG era because he felt it was going in the wrong direction.
I really don't think you know what pg really means. It's not read G for Disney I mean there are some rate pg shows that are made by disney that I think are more violent then the wwe at this time.

If you looked at John Cena and what he did to barrett with the chairs? Do you consider that to be pg or attitude error? you tell me. What John Cena does is alot more attitude type of error as of right now then Benoit did. So you really need to give up the argument.
It was said by brain. He did not do anything sexual. If anything goldust is more sexual then Benoit was and look who is in the pg era. So I have named two wrestlers for you that are active in the wwe and are more controversial then Benoit's Character.

I really don't think you know what pg really means. It's not read G for Disney I mean there are some rate pg shows that are made by disney that I think are more violent then the wwe at this time.

If you looked at John Cena and what he did to barrett with the chairs? Do you consider that to be pg or attitude error? you tell me. What John Cena does is alot more attitude type of error as of right now then Benoit did. So you really need to give up the argument.
It was said by brain. He did not do anything sexual. If anything goldust is more sexual then Benoit was and look who is in the pg era. So I have named two wrestlers for you that are active in the wwe and are more controversial then Benoit's Character.

I don't know if you noticed that Barrett was under a platform..lol the chairs never touched him for pete's sake. What a sham that was. I just shook my head when I saw that, and everyone was saying how bad CENA was for doing something so sick as that.. That was the shittiest and most ignorant thing i have seen in WWE. Then he is off RAW to sell the injury, and even in the video you can see he was never even hit

I'm not so sure Benoit was in character. I think that was the way he was. I never watched a match from the 80's on where he was out of his element.

There is a huge difference from pg to pg14 to me. When you have grown jacked up men saying "i'll make his face look like his butt" on tv with a smile(cena)it's kind of rediculous. I'm sorry but 5 year olds to 16 year olds don't buy these tickets themselves. Their parent's take them, and the parent has to be half interest in the program to want to take them. I honestly don't think children under the age of 10 should be watching wrestling pg or not. Gives you imppressionable kid's the idea's of doing stupid thing's in their back yards or with their friends.

You watch the ROCK in the tooth fairy (pg) and then you watch him in the OTHER GUYS, or FASTER. Which one are you more apt to want to go to the theater and watch. Tooth fairy was okay for me to watch with my daughter but I can garauntee my money is on the movie FASTER.

his character and wrestling style has nothing to do with being pg. pg changes what they say and the weapons they use. nothing about the in ring style changes because of pg. he probably would work better in pg because he wouldnt need to talk. just come out and beat people in the ring. this thread makes no sense

He is known as the Rabbid Wolverine for his intense wrestling skills not because he was nasty. His character would not be affected by anything in the PG era.

First off: yes Chris Benoit could fit in the PG Era: he'd probably have a Daniel Bryan like character of being a submission machine. Intense in the ring and
doesn't talk much.

Now for your list:

Umaga: He was released for violating the drug policy. End of story.

Mike Knox: released because creative really had nothing for him and the fact he couldn't get a crowd reaction for his life. Could be PG; absolutely his last character was someone who used knowledge of the human anatomy to be more effective as a wrestler. Easily could make that PG; think Daniel Bryan.

Gene Snitsky: I think he was released because creative had no plans for him and he decided to pursue acting. Snitsky's "it wasn't my fault" gimmick could be tweaked to be a PG friendly comedy face. Or he could be a monster heel ala Sheamus.

The look doesn't matter; what's a PG role model? The Miz? a cowardly goofy heel...ok, maybe but then explain monster psychotic heels like Kane

How is Mike Knox kicking ass a monster heel any different than Sheamus's 2009 beatdown of Jamie Noble?

If the Umaga character is so "Non-PG" for you...then bring him back as the SuperHero Rosey character that he was. Problem solved.

Just because a character isn't PG friendly doesn't mean that creative can't reinvent the person playing it. It can be done. Characters have changed in all eras

the REVERED Stone Cold Steve Austin was the Ringmaster

The REVERED Rock was Rocky Maivia

The REVERED Hulk Hogan was a cowardly heel pre Hulkamania then became the NWO Hollywood Hogan before going back to Red Yellow

Triple H was a Connecticut Blue Blood, turned DX, turned cerebral assassin, turned Rich WHC obsessed man in Evolution, turned DX again, turned generic face, back to DX with Shawn

Chris Jericho had the Lionheart, Y2J and his monotone heel

John Cena went from rapper to SuperCena

Randy Orton went from bland to Evolution to the Legend Killer to the Viper; and you're telling me the Viper is a PG friendly character?

I'm sorry dude; you had a good idea...but I think the evidence speaks for itself

He would fit in, given that he would get off the roids.

Like most everyone else (HHH, Jericho, Edge, Ect.) he would have to take time off to get the roids out. Obviously his body would be changed and his precieved aggressiveness would be diminished.

But there was nothing inheriently offensive about the Chris Benoit character.

He was in no way sexual. His interviews did not rely on vulgarity. So that as PG.

Probably the only thing he would be asked to change would be the "throat slashing" gesture before he for the top rope headbutt.

Dude i think your getting gimmicks mixed up with in ring skill. There was nothing in his gimmick that was offencive and he was one of the best at bringing rage to the ring. But thats all it was beniot hitting really hard and making it look good. If he came out with a ***** on his head and a blow up doll then you could ask "could he survive" but he didnt so this thread a bit pointless. Good day sir...

I have to disagree mate coz a year or to befor he died borash noted on his youtube that tna almost signed chris benoit but they couldnt afford to give him what he wanted at that time and chris had to think of the money for his family. So i think he would have been in tna by now imo unless he signed a 5 year contract for ww which a dont think h did.

I don't know why you think I am obsessing over BENOIT, i have never made one post about him or what happened to him, and regardless of what he did, or didn't do he still gave 25 years of his heart

Benoit only wrestled for a little over 21 years. He debuted in November of 1985.

But onto the topic. Yes, he'd survive. Haven't you been watching Nexus and their gang related activities...? That's worse than any of Benoit's gimmicks...PG doesn't put the product on the same level as Disney bro...

I dont get question! Of Course, why wouldnt he? He was a good technical wrestler, probably a bit overated, but very good! Wasn't a complete superstar like Shawn Michaels, Benoit was boring on the mic, lacked size, and justed happened to get his turn!

With all do respect WWE was not in full PG effect when HHH broke into Orton's house. And I did not make this thread because of what happened with Chris Benoit, and his family. Chris Benoit was a very intense wrestler, and was known since the 80's of his RABBID and intense wrestling. Whether it was a persona he put on for tv, or that's what he really was like in the ring for whatever reason . Besides STONECOLD STEVE AUSTIN was quoted as sayin "My character the rattlesnake doesn't fit today's PG era" and he basically turned down a couple of WWE's offer's to guest host RAW. So that's why I came up with Chris Benoit post, because some people don't want to change...I think BENOIT wouldn't have wanted his whole carreer watered down in the end, just to make some money.

By the way, EDGE regardless if he has won titles recently or not, has not really been a very good rated r super star since pg era, and it's kind of rediculous to actually still call himself that in a pg world..

there was nothing chris benoit ever did that would not be accepted in PG WWE outside of head shots with chairs and blood, which were common place with every wrestler in that era. nothing special about the benoit character that was not PG. Benoit was that generations Daniel Bryan, in fact that is who bryan has always reminded me of.

Y wouldn't he. He didn't get a kid in the crossface or a woman in the last 3-4 years before his death. He was pretty tamed in my view the last several years before his life ended so why wouldn't he have lasted in the pg era. He wasn't out of control. I do agree at some point he would have left WWE, but Vince would have gotten him to come right back. But we'll never Know he's gone now.

Lol, PG wouldn't have affected The Murderer. He was intense but, to be honest, pretty tame in general. The only thing he did that would be banned today was the headbutt. And, if you believe the Murderer apologists, the headbutt is the reason he killed his wife and son, so PG would've been good for him.

Dude I'm not one to bash on a simple topic like this, but dude come on. Did you want attention when you made this topic cuz you got it lol. We got Randy orton punting people's heads, cena dropping a tower of chairs on Barrett, Edge kidnapping people, and nexus handing out super beat downs. I think someone with a little bit more intensity would be pretty ok in my book. I mean what about Wolverine. You know, the x-men's wolverine. Basically the same thing as Benoit but in the marvel world and he was in Saturday morning cartoons... Lol

lets first describe a chris benoit match. what were the moves he did most often.

back hand chops : banned due to being reminded of ric flair who joined tna

german, vertical and belly to belly suplexes : definitely can be pulled off on pg level

sharpshooter : even a diva does tht move nowadays

flying headbutt : acceptable except for the fact tht it totally messed his head up

crossface : daniel bryan's doing tht so y cant benoit

he can retain his persona as well as keep doing the same moves minus the chair shots to the head. as many wrestlers have said benoit was one of the guys who used to take chair shots to the back of the head.

he wud probably have been a main eventer right now at the point of retiring in a few years time. i can see him feuding with orton or edge or cena or even taker at a wrestlemania.

and he probaly wud have had a few more world titles to his name right about now

PS : i dont think he deserved to live after wat he had done. liked the guy in the ring. despise the guy out of it

Too vicious? You know, through out it's existence, Power Rangers has been rated TV-Y7. That's a show that continuously dealt with the end of the world and continuous fights to near death and talk about destruction. How the hell does a guy who just walks out to wrestle surpass even that rating? Yeah it doesn't.

Benoit was never really attitude anyway, he did have some aggression, but for the most part he was no different than Bret Hart in the 80's

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back